• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Dahbomb

Then why are people in the arcade mode thread comparing SFV to Overwatch?
Because they are dumb.

At their height Capcom was definitely AAA. RE4 is most certainly a AAA game budget wise as are RE5 and RE6.

But nothing of Capcom as of late is AAA. It's hard to compare Capcom games to Blizzard/Activision games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
dead @ comparing SFV to a game that got developed out of the ashes of Titan, Blizzard's planned successor to WoW, and then a full development and marketing from Blizzard of all companies after that

All my casual friends know NRS games are janky as fuck and buy their games continually for other reasons. It's not something that takes insight or understanding about the genre, or a video to explain why it looks awkward. It just does.

Really? You have casual conversations about whether Batman's hips are moving in the correction direction?

Eccentric friends.

Sayad

Game get compared to Overwatch = Game is AAA?!

What kind of logic is this?!
9ovvu0I.gif

jett

D-Member
dead @ comparing SFV to a game that got developed out of the ashes of Titan, Blizzard's planned successor to WoW, and then a full development and marketing from Blizzard of all companies after that

SFV is definitely the ultimate crackers-eating bitch of this forum

shaowebb

GOOD. This stuff has seriously lingered in my head for awhile as a major red flag as to what could happen up there. Fans lose control a lot. Ones that jump on stage are a threat. Maybe its just my wrestling days talking here, but I was taught if anyone jumped up there in the ring drop everything and consider them a major threat. You never know what they came up to do or what they brought with them. I know wrestling and gaming are two very different crowds in ways but people rushing the stage at any public event are threatening. Hell Dimebag Darrelll of Pantera is dead because of that shit.

Good on ya EVO. Get some damned ringside security in there.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Really? You have casual conversations about whether Batman's hips are moving in the correction direction?

Eccentric friends.

No one does. The conversation I usually heard beforehand was "this looks off", "yeah" and that's it.

All that video did was articulate why everything looks weird in NRS games. Some people never liked how those games look but couldn't exactly explain why.

VariantX

Because they are dumb.

At their height Capcom was definitely AAA. RE4 is most certainly a AAA game budget wise as are RE5 and RE6.

But nothing of Capcom as of late is AAA. It's hard to compare Capcom games to Blizzard/Activision games.

Yeah, I agree. Just a long string of bad or short-sighted decisions from the last generation knocked them out of the AAA space. Making something like MH World in terms of budget is comparatively nothing to a EA or a Ubisoft. While Capcom might be betting the farm on MH World. RE6 was their last big budget release quite some time ago.

Apparently if you are in blockstun in MvCi the game will autoblock everything for you. Overheads, lows, everything. I didn't notice this when I played.

Dahbomb

Apparently if you are in blockstun in MvCi the game will autoblock everything for you. Overheads, lows, everything. I didn't notice this when I played.
WHAT???? How did no one catch this?

Anyone test unblockable in the game like the Hulk unblockable?

If what you are saying is true then the whole meta of "putting someone in block stun with a move/hyper and mix them up" is going to be non existent.

This has huge implications.

If what you are saying is true then the whole meta of "putting someone in block stun with a move/hyper and mix them up" is going to be non existent.

Yep, Max talked about on the Marvel Live podcast and he said straight up Overhead/Low mix up gets autoblocked.
If that is true I mean like I dunno. This game is fucking weird dude.

Assuming this is true, I don't think it's a big deal.

MvC3 already auto-blocked cross-ups if you didn't leave blockstun. The simple lesson was to leave a small gap so they leave auto-block, and no one has ever said cross-ups are weak in MvC3.

I imagine this is just unblockable protection, and people will learn to stagger their mix-ups.

The only reason this would create a problem is if Magneto-like tridash high/low mix-ups were autoblocked. That would be horrific. Otherwise I don't see the problem.

Edit: Wait, even during pins? Because lots of people are getting opened up while pinned by a beam hyper, so this doesn't seem true.

Dahbomb

Looks like despite being extremely open and potentially game breaking, Capcom has put in quite a few restrictions in the game to prevent truly busted stuff. Stuff like advancing guard, infinite prevention system, cross up protection and now block stun protection.

Feels like we need to rethink the whole game from scratch, a lot of stuff from Marvel 3 will absolutely not work anymore.

Edit: Wait, even during pins? Because lots of people are getting opened up while pinned by a beam hyper, so this doesn't seem true.
The situation Max described was he was pinned down by Dante's Million Dollars and during block stun he could not be mixed up. Only once block stun had ended was he vulnerable.

Dahbomb

This definitely explains why they nerfed chicken block. Now you basically have one chance with very tight timing to mix someone up after a pinning move before they up back out.

I'm relatively certain I've seen visual evidence to the contrary.
Well I didn't notice it when I played but then again I played the CEO build and I personally never go put in a situation like that defensively. I was putting the Zoo on people though with Strider and Zero but thinking back it was never the first mix up that hit, so they could have fallen out of blockstun by then.

Dahbomb

Zoo has always been a weird super to begin with we don't know if that has gaps or not. Same for stuff like that Nemesis punch and Rocket hyper.

I need to review all the Marvel SDCC footage again.

MvCi has the fucking weirdest design decisions:
-No wave dashing
-autoguard in blockstun
-no chicken guard
-no meter gain on block
-advance guard reflects fireballs
-crazy damage scaling on supers
-autoblock cross up defense
-No combos off regular throws
-the return of fly screen
-no snapbacks

-No wave dashing
-autoguard in blockstun
-no chicken guard
-no meter gain on block
-no snapbacks

Wait, no meter gain on block? wtf? For either player?

Dahbomb

Probably the weirdest thing to me in the game mechsnic wise is the insane proximity guard in this game. You super jump away half screen away and your character is jump away while blocking even though they are no where near an attack. Looks really jank with characters like Dante.

Can't block during the first few frames of jumping

Yep. That's why meter gain is so low

Not gonna lie I'm hoping for Dahbomb to sweep in with some footage proving this isn't true and Max just made a mistake.
Yah meter gain seems low. While other games like DBFZ are expanding use of meter, capcom is heavily restricted meter usage to a chance at mixup, or combo breaker/burst...

At least comebacks seem harder with the stones, and don't seem braindead like x-factor level 3 Vergil (or Strider, or any character)..

Seyavesh

-No wave dashing
-autoguard in blockstun
-no chicken guard
-no meter gain on block
-no snapbacks

you forgot miniscule-to-nonexistent chip damage as well, haha.
but yeah the game has absolutely bizarre design stuff that seems super facile in it's reasoning. like a bunch of band-aids made one after the other with the purpose of "fixing" potential cheap things from free tagging and severely nerfed movement.

anyways from my personal experience i was able to open up people plenty with beam super->tag->fakeass trijump so i'm pretty sure high/low blocking doesn't autoblock. it's just that the height limitation of airdash downforward and backforward normals is INSANELY high- if you try to press buttons below the full standing height of X it won't come out so actual trijumps basically aren't in the game. it's just ridiculously easy to block them on reaction due to that limitation.

i've seen nova-style high/lows done in footage so that's still possible, so i'm pretty sure you'll be able to get like 1-3 high/lows off supers

Probably the weirdest thing to me in the game mechsnic wise is the insane proximity guard in this game. You super jump away half screen away and your character is jump away while blocking even though they are no where near an attack. Looks really jank with characters like Dante.

yep, this is gonna be a massive factor in the game for fucking up people's fine movement and yet another reason why reality is either the best or second best stone. prox. guard activates equally far on it and just locks dudes into place if they don't want to commit to some unsafe option.

the only reason i say maybe second best is because i think people are highly underestimating time stone's comeback potential right now- from my experience the combos using it will kill your char. pretty dead relatively fast. combined with the chain specials and the mechanics of vtrigger gem meter gain it's probably gonna end up about the same as getting xf2 three times in a match

If you could provide video evidence of it not being in the ComiCon build we'd all appreciate it. Max is specifically talking about that build and the non-stop two hours he played against the devs.

Seyavesh

If you could provide video evidence of it not being in the ComiCon build we'd all appreciate it. Max is specifically talking about that build and the non-stop two hours he played against the devs.

blugh, if it's straight from the dev's mouth at comicon then man...

all my experience is from the evo build so it's totally possible they changed that but if that's the case, it really makes the other changes make even less sense

blugh, if it's straight from the dev's mouth at comicon then man...

all my experience is from the evo build so it's totally possible they changed that but if that's the case, it really makes the other changes make even less sense
Don't misinterpretate what I said. Max didn't state the Dev's told him just that discovered it at SDCC while he was playing with the devs.

Seyavesh

Don't misinterpretate what I said. Max didn't state the Dev's told him just that discovered it at SDCC while he was playing with the devs.

yeah, idk then.
i'm pretty sure that's not the case as even stuff like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eBekxoh8Bw#t=2m16s

is present in footage and that more or less matches what i was doing at evo while the beam was still active. dante's still very clearly pushblocking when he gets hit so he's definitely still in blockstun as well so if it is in there then they'd have to do it on the last hit of blockstun only or something.

edit:
looking at more of the footage of tyrant's channel, picked up something funny about million dollars - there's enough of a gap between the first and second wave of shots that the defending char escapes blockstun for a split second
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VQARgFBME#t=2m8s

yeah, idk then.
i'm pretty sure that's not the case as even stuff like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eBekxoh8Bw#t=2m16s

is present in footage and that more or less matches what i was doing at evo while the beam was still active. dante's still very clearly pushblocking when he gets hit so he's definitely still in blockstun as well so if it is in there then they'd have to do it on the last hit of blockstun only or something.

edit:
looking at more of the footage of tyrant's channel, picked up something funny about million dollars - there's enough of a gap between the first and second wave of shots that the defending char escapes blockstun for a split second
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VQARgFBME#t=2m8s
Gonna need more concert evidence. First video she hits him after the super ends and the second X tries to swing and gets clipped. I'm looking through Max's stuff now for anyone getting opened up that way. So far nothing.

Kumubou

Injustice 2 Was Highest-Grossing Console Game in 2017 Q2

Single-player content in fighting games don't matter, right?
Honestly, I wonder if the genre really isn't the best fit versus what people expect from retail console games nowadays. Even something like Injustice 2 is comically bloated for what its base experience really is.

In a way, moving to a Games as a Service structure would be going much closer to their roots as an arcade game... but I don't think any fighting game developer in existence has the other competencies needed to work in the space. Maybe when Riot's project gets out of R&D in two thousand never. :x

In a way, moving to a Games as a Service structure would be going much closer to their roots as an arcade game... but I don't think any fighting game developer in existence has the other competencies needed to work in the space. Maybe when Riot's project gets out of R&D in two thousand never. :x

Killer Instinct and DoA5 are the two games that came the closest. Killer Instinct a bit more so than DoA5.

Killer Instinct had wonderful netcode and Iron Galaxy kept changing up and updating the game while DoA has a lot of robust options like an incredible tutorial mode and training mode, a LOT of customization options (which is really where the lion's share of your money is gonna be coming from tbh) and decent online functionality. DoA, I think, would be more active right now if the Netcode was legitimately good.

There are now certainly examples of SUCESSFUL GAAS models for fighting games and I just hope other fighting game devs can truly try to embrace such a model.

sephi22

Yep, Max talked about on the Marvel Live podcast and he said straight up Overhead/Low mix up gets autoblocked.
If that is true I mean like I dunno. This game is fucking weird dude.

You guys sure this is not referring to Combo saying that same frame overhead/lows are autoblocked AKA no real unblockables unless hard coded one like hulk punch.

Afaik game still has hard-to-blockables like overhead/lows few frames apart. Sounds like some misinformation or someone mishearing things. Having said that, I haven't played the game so if anyone here played it at E3 , SDCC or Evo feel free to correct me

Top Bottom