• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Skab

I'm not a big fan of all these events being on the same day/weekend. Personally I want the best competition to be available at one given tournament.

Yeah, it's pretty crappy.

Combo Breaker, Red Bull Kumite, and now ELeague all on the same weekend? That's really not good for anyone.

Edit: Gllty also got an eleague invite. And Justin.

CurlyW

Posted this in the other thread, but one top SFV player has already asked for Saturday pools at Combo Breaker so that they can participate in ELeague finals on Friday.

Line_HTX

Eric Small‏@ESmallPhilly 18m18 minutes ago

Doa LR circuit is BACK.

C5YmSgAXQAI40mL.jpg

Big E bring the DoA events back for 2017.

thehadou

Neo Member
So it begins. That's gonna be fun to do. =(

Never fun telling a player we can't guarantee them a spot in so-and-so pool to ensure their attendance. With that said, we also can't guarantee them a spot. System has to be a seeded lottery to ensure fairness to all the attendees (across all games), otherwise everyone would be in a Saturday pool at 5 PM.

Kalamari

International players prolly gonna go to Kumite, JPs think France is the cat's meow.
Americans will probably mostly attend Combo Breaker.
Frauds will attend eLeague.

MrCarter

T1_SFV_press_release.jpg

E-League SFV trailer:

https://youtu.be/dulRNTz4SCg

E-LEAGUE to Feature Street Fighter® V Invitational Beginning March 27:

Turner and IMG’s ELEAGUE will further expand its esports portfolio by staging its first-ever ELEAGUE Street Fighter® V Invitational. The inaugural event will feature 32 of the world’s best Street Fighter® players competing live from G Fuel ELEAGUE Arena in Atlanta beginning Monday, March 27. Capcom’s Street Fighter V is a wildly popular video game featuring stunning visuals that depict the next generation of World Warriors in unprecedented detail. The game’s exciting and accessible battle mechanics deliver endless fighting fun that both beginners and veterans can enjoy.

Statement from Craig Barry, VP of Turner Sports:

"Street Fighter has a rich history and an extremely deep and passionate fan base and we’re thrilled to further diversify our ELEAGUE portfolio with this exciting esports title,” said Craig Barry, Executive Vice President & Chief Content Officer, Turner Sports. “We look forward to bringing a new experience to ELEAGUE and collaborating with Capcom to capture the authenticity of the live event competition while telling a rich narrative surrounding the game, its characters and the players.”

Statement from Kiichiro Urata, CEO at Capcom USA:

"Our fighting games and esports initiatives are extremely important sectors of our business and partnering with ELEAGUE provides us with an excellent opportunity to deliver the excitement of live Street Fighter V competition to a wider audience,” said Kiichiro Urata, Chief Executive Officer at Capcom U.S.A., Inc. “Teaming up with one of the leaders of live event experiences is another step forward for the Street Fighter brand, and we can’t wait for newcomers and long-time fans to see our beloved franchise presented in a new and unique way.”

http://www.eleague.com/street-fighter-v/news/press-release#YIpmcJPvY5qO

.la1n

Combo Breaker is THE event for me. People are seriously missing out if they don't attend. Easily the smoothest run tournament I have ever been to. It's tough to not at least entertain the idea of E-League since I still have friends/family in the Atlanta area.

Tripon

I really do think it's weird that there's so man eSports initiatives for a game that is still fundamentally fucked on a base level.

I'm not even talking about a gameplay level, SFV still won't let player 2 rematch and matches still take near a minute to load.

I wish Capcom would just fix this game.

I really do think it's weird that there's so man eSports initiatives for a game that is still fundamentally fucked on a base level.

I'm not even talking about a gameplay level, SFV still won't let player 2 rematch and matches still take near a minute to load.

Well hopefully all this exposure and tournaments will add a stronger fuel to the fire under Cpacoms ass so that they fix the things that need fixing. Cause its not just gonna be the FGC watching Eleague on tv.

notworksafe

yeah it probably won't even be the fgc watching. it's sure to have huge numbers with dogs left at home while their owners are out though.

Dahbomb

These two problems are easy fixes too. The loading thing was the one that was tricky but that was figured out (and Capcom exposed), the other one is a non issue that is apparently an issue because who knows why.

These two problems are easy fixes too. The loading thing was the one that was tricky but that was figured out (and Capcom exposed), the other one is a non issue that is apparently an issue because who knows why.

SFV released over a year ago yet these problems still persist

I like the thumbs up, but maybe its different in a tournament setting. People just gotta get creative with it and roll with the silliness.

Kumubou

I find it funny how companies -- including Capcom -- are willing to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in prize pots and event production, but Capcom is not willing to invest a red cent into the game's infrastructure. What's the point of the Capcom Pro Tour, then? Aren't these leagues above all a giant marketing push for the game itself?

I find it funny how companies -- including Capcom -- are willing to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in prize pots and event production, but Capcom is not willing to invest a red cent into the game's infrastructure. What's the point of the Capcom Pro Tour, then? Aren't these leagues above all a giant marketing push for the game itself?

whats gonna sell more games, boring improved UI/bug fixes/or balance changes or suckering in ppl w/ flashy tv shows and leagues with huge pot pools

Tripon

Non issue? Then why make it an issue in the first place? How in the development of the game, do you make the conscious decision to not include allowing the 2nd player to rematch? We're talking about something that is included in every fighting game besides SFV. A lot of their decisions Capcom has made for SFV took just as much work to do than just doing the regular stuff people expected. So why did Capcom make their choices they did?

Dahbomb

Non issue? Then why make it an issue in the first place? How in the development of the game, do you make the conscious decision to not include allowing the 2nd player to rematch? We're talking about something that is included in every fighting game besides SFV. A lot of their decisions Capcom has made for SFV took just as much work to do than just doing the regular stuff people expected. So why did Capcom make their choices they did?
No I mean non issue as in it shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. As in it's very easy to actually fix. So I am completely agreeing with you in that way.

tbf it wasnt in persona iirc

Shouta

Never fun telling a player we can't guarantee them a spot in so-and-so pool to ensure their attendance. With that said, we also can't guarantee them a spot. System has to be a seeded lottery to ensure fairness to all the attendees (across all games), otherwise everyone would be in a Saturday pool at 5 PM.

Of course it's not fun, hence the sad face. lol I just know it's a pain in the butt to deal with and it makes Curly's job harder. =P

notworksafe

Yeah upon reading the post again it was not clear. I meant that it shouldn't have been an issue to begin with from Capcom's part and it's baffling that it actually is one.

ya, they aren't the only ones to do it but that doesn't make it okay. just a dumb decision with no upside that i can tell. i guess that's been the story of capcom for a bit now though.

that link doesn't work. is that the award thread?

edit: sfv talk is something else. People try and downplay it saying sf4 went through the same sort of arguments... But I don't remember a defense force rallying around one of those forgettable game show awards

even the mk community doesn't do that hahaha

Top Bottom