• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

pizzacat

Banned
oh hey, all pools are finally up now (well, it's preliminary, but still)

Northwest Majors entrants by game:

Melee-152
USF4-131
Xrd-127
Smash 4-102
Project M-88
TTT2-64
MKX-58
UNIEL-48
UMvC3-47 (lol)
P4AU-39
BBCP-38 (I clearly see a duplicate in pool 1...)
GGXX-32
Skullgirls-25
VS-21
Smash 64-19
Injustice-18

Marvel: now so dead it's actually in the bottom half in entrants /s
What tourney is this? For smash to be up there with every single game in its existence and skullgirls can't have infinite numbers

Salts everywhere yo

Nyoro SF

oh hey, all pools are finally up now (well, it's preliminary, but still)

Northwest Majors entrants by game:

Melee-152
USF4-131
Xrd-127
Smash 4-102
Project M-88
TTT2-64
MKX-58
UNIEL-48
UMvC3-47 (lol)
P4AU-39
BBCP-38 (I clearly see a duplicate in pool 1...)
GGXX-32
Skullgirls-25
VS-21
Smash 64-19
Injustice-18

Marvel: now so dead it's actually in the bottom half in entrants /s

Yo SMASH, even those Project M numbers are surprising.
Guilty Gear showing a big presence too.

kitzkozan

No. The scene for NRS games is bigger in the Northeastern side of the country. This is Northwest majors.

But I think a game that was set to kill off SF4, as Sabin has been putting it these days, wouldn't be affected by region.

It's wishful thinking from Art that MK X will kill off SFIV. :p Humans are more often than not the product of their culture, and SF has earned it's place in the FGC over two decades. Right now, MK X is popular with a casual audience that probably won't cross over to FGC. The best case scenario would be for it to take the UMvC3 spot as the third place after SF and Smash melee. This is just as deluded as an hockey fan thinking the NHL was going to overtake the NBA and MLB in popularity after the 2014 Olympics since Obama tweeted over the T.J Oshie shootout winner.

Lulubop

mikeross.jpg

#ThrowBackThursday #TwitchshowforSF5

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't think NWM has a big NRS scene or even that big of a Marvel scene - way more SF and Smash focused, with a healthy dose of anime.

Tripon

To be fair, Smash Wii U has been out for about... 6 months now. Just as long as Xrd.

Anyway, I wonder how MKX numbers and all games are shaping up for EVO.

I don't think MKX will finish in the top 5 in number of entrants, yet will still get a Sunday Finals.

People thinking Capcom Fighters Network is a megaton have short memory. Remember that Tekken Tag 2 had the World Tekken Federation where everything was regrouped. You could see % for almost everything: character use, moves used, how many combos you missed after landing a launcher, how many throws you made, how many throw breaks you did... That was like the best thing ever done for a fighting game as you could study your opponent just by watching his stats and finding habits from them.

Too bad they had to shut it down due to cost but let's remember that often it is Namco that innovates with Tekken while Capcom just wait and see without taking too much risk. And Capcom is very honest about this by the way.

Shouta

NWM allows registration at the door, right? Aren't pre-reg numbers always misleading?

According to the last few years, we usually get 10-20% of our total reg numbers. Not sure how that'll change total number of players for the games but as far as I've noticed, it tends to be Smash heavy for door reg.

NRS games aren't super big in our area so getting as many folks as we are for MKX is pretty great. Hopefully more people will become aware of the event so they can come out.

The strongest communities in the area are Smash, Street Fighter, Airdashers, and Tekken which is why their numbers are pretty solid. If you look at Tekken pools, it's basically full of Killers everywhere. It's a shark tank.

To be fair, Smash Wii U has been out for about... 6 months now. Just as long as Xrd.

Usually entrants coincide with general interest level and thus are the highest at release.

That being said, it's annoying that people look at entrants numbers, and are quick to proclaim if a game is going to live or not. Marvel minions did that all the time in 2012. I know the general interest for MKX is there, in ways that haven't been seen since SF4, so maybe it just needs time to get the ball rolling.

Zissou

Usually entrants coincide with general interest level and thus are the highest at release.

That being said, it's annoying that people look at entrants numbers, and are quick to proclaim if a game is going to live or not. Marvel minions did that all the time in 2012. I know the general interest for MKX is there, in ways that hasn't been seen since SF4, so maybe it just needs time to get the ball rolling.

Why you gotta hate?

alstein

Anyway, I wonder how MKX numbers and all games are shaping up for EVO.

I don't think MKX will finish in the top 5 in number of entrants, yet will still get a Sunday Finals.

I think it places ahead of Marvel, but behind the Smash games and Ultra.

fader

According to the last few years, we usually get 10-20% of our total reg numbers. Not sure how that'll change total number of players for the games but as far as I've noticed, it tends to be Smash heavy for door reg.

NRS games aren't super big in our area so getting as many folks as we are for MKX is pretty great. Hopefully more people will become aware of the event so they can come out.

The strongest communities in the area are Smash, Street Fighter, Airdashers, and Tekken which is why their numbers are pretty solid. If you look at Tekken pools, it's basically full of Killers everywhere. It's a shark tank.

yea I've mostly known West coast for their airdasher's, smash support.... god I wanna move there...

NRS games are usually East coast, Chicago mostly so I am not really all that surprised by the low registrations but it can always bump at the gate.

Whatever happened to FC Jago?

he's a B-Boy now!

hmm...I thought Marvel had a big drop from last year, but it turns out that last year only had 63 entrants anyway, so that's a 25% drop before door registration

I wonder what it looked like for Final Round/NCR though

Shouta

I don't think NCR Marvel had that big of a turnout but I could be wrong there. Final Round was defintiely big for Marvel though.

Really glad Smash 4 is getting a decent turnout, hopefully I'll actually be able to catch Top 8 on Sunday.

Are there any events/exhibitions happening on Saturday?

vulva

Really glad Smash 4 is getting a decent turnout, hopefully I'll actually be able to catch Top 8 on Sunday.

Are there any events/exhibitions happening on Saturday?

For a second I thought you were talking EVO, was gonna get mad at you if you're not gonna be there all day like last year

I don't think NCR Marvel had that big of a turnout but I could be wrong there. Final Round was defintiely big for Marvel though.

I meant YoY changes, Final Round had 247 entrants for Marvel this year but I can't find anything on last year

meanwhile, NCR had 147 in 2014 and 103 in 2015, a 30% drop

CurlyW

An interesting thing I'm noticing about MKX is that there are some Russian-language channels streaming the game and getting lots of viewers (like this one which currently has over 1k viewers). The CIS countries are big into competitive gaming (see CSGO and Dota2), but never fighting games. And yet, MKX seems to be doing quite well among the Russian-speaking population, at least for now.

Funnily enough, there was a day I think in 2013 when MK9 had over 10k Twitch viewers, and it was because Ukrainian Dota2 superstar Dendi was streaming it. (Can't find the video, but there are clips of Dendi and his teammates playing MK9 at a LAN event.) Also, I once had a conversation with a Russian-speaker (in Twitch chat of a Dota2 channel) who was excited by the fact that I had met Tom Brady in person. It's possible Mortal Kombat may just reach a large part of the world that Street Fighter so far has not permeated.

Mr. X

People thinking Capcom Fighters Network is a megaton have short memory. Remember that Tekken Tag 2 had the World Tekken Federation where everything was regrouped. You could see % for almost everything: character use, moves used, how many combos you missed after landing a launcher, how many throws you made, how many throw breaks you did... That was like the best thing ever done for a fighting game as you could study your opponent just by watching his stats and finding habits from them.

Too bad they had to shut it down due to cost but let's remember that often it is Namco that innovates with Tekken while Capcom just wait and see without taking too much risk. And Capcom is very honest about this by the way.
VF4 did it first.
Just like customization.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161283388]I watched Juicebox's footsies video and now I feel really ashamed of myself.

Time to hit a lot of training mode.[/QUOTE]

RIP my Bison vs your Ken.

Exile20

Break dancing career? I remember watching a video of him going in hard.

yea I've mostly known West coast for their airdasher's, smash support.... god I wanna move there...

NRS games are usually East coast, Chicago mostly so I am not really all that surprised by the low registrations but it can always bump at the gate.

he's a B-Boy now!

Really? Wow. Straight to youtube to look for videos. Does he still use the Jago name?

The CIS countries are big into competitive gaming (see CSGO and Dota2), but never fighting games.
That's because those competitive games are on PC which is the dominant platform in those countries. That and maybe MK might just be a more popular franchise than SF over there.

Shackzam

Really? Wow. Straight to youtube to look for videos. Does he still use the Jago name?
Don't remember the video name, but there was a story of someone buying a stick and it ended up being jago selling it and the person had him sign it before shipping it to him. He said he didn't need it anymore.

alstein

An interesting thing I'm noticing about MKX is that there are some Russian-language channels streaming the game and getting lots of viewers (like this one which currently has over 1k viewers). The CIS countries are big into competitive gaming (see CSGO and Dota2), but never fighting games. And yet, MKX seems to be doing quite well among the Russian-speaking population, at least for now.

Funnily enough, there was a day I think in 2013 when MK9 had over 10k Twitch viewers, and it was because Ukrainian Dota2 superstar Dendi was streaming it. (Can't find the video, but there are clips of Dendi and his teammates playing MK9 at a LAN event.) Also, I once had a conversation with a Russian-speaker (in Twitch chat of a Dota2 channel) who was excited by the fact that I had met Tom Brady in person. It's possible Mortal Kombat may just reach a large part of the world that Street Fighter so far has not permeated.

Russia was about 20% of MK9 sales on Steam. Russians are PC gamers, and competitive gamers, so PC fighting games isn't a huge stretch.

NRS should make a Russian character for them.

Hold my seats during Smash, both of them.

Smash is boring :(

I remember you leaving for a lot last year, lol.

I wanted to leave during KI but we were only gone like 20 minutes so we sat through a bunch of it. At least the hotel this year should have better (actual) places to eat at

That Kold War Scorpion still looks really dumb, and it's all because of the cartoonish helmet; it's completely non intimidating.

The other three are pretty good. That Kold War Sonya~

mbpm1

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";161283388]I watched Juicebox's footsies video and now I feel really ashamed of myself.

Time to hit a lot of training mode.[/QUOTE]

RIP Rockturtle?

Top Bottom