• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | 4/20-26 | Beowulf Wrasslin', Mewtwo Smashin', Netkode Krashin

Anne

Is there anyone with any chance of beating Ogawa at all remotley at NWM? I don't know the scene for Xrd.

Not really, no. Look at what Juice said about American SF players. American Anime players are like that but still stuck in 2009 era. Pretty much everything Juice says is the type of shit the better anime players(all 10 of them) have been saying in private for the last couple years, and what I've been saying publicly elsewhere. It's just worse in anime cause *reasons*. I feel for everybody working hard though, because being hanstrung by your own scene sucks.

Anyways, Ogawa in all reality should put on the most dominant performance you will ever see for NA GG. Remember when Souji came to NEC for Blazblue and from when he got off the plane to when he got back on it he just didn't lose? Expectations are around there. I have some mild hope that maybe somebody Elphelts him or something nuts happens, but if he plays as stable as usual he should plow through everybody.

NEO0MJ

Fun question. Did anyone here ever felt that a character in a fighting game had a move that just didn't fit their character or design? Playing MK X recently made me wonder about that, mainly because of Kano. Why is a cybernetic cutthroat rolling around like Blanka? It's even funnier when you use the EX roll and he can just stand in place spinning in the air.

Not bad for an 18 year old game.

I guess. Was hoping for more, though.

CPS2

Not really, no. Look at what Juice said about American SF players. American Anime players are like that but still stuck in 2009 era. Pretty much everything Juice says is the type of shit the better anime players(all 10 of them) have been saying in private for the last couple years, and what I've been saying publicly elsewhere. It's just worse in anime cause *reasons*. I feel for everybody working hard though, because being hanstrung by your own scene sucks.

Anyways, Ogawa in all reality should put on the most dominant performance you will ever see for NA GG. Remember when Souji came to NEC for Blazblue and from when he got off the plane to when he got back on it he just didn't lose? Expectations are around there. I have some mild hope that maybe somebody Elphelts him or something nuts happens, but if he plays as stable as usual he should plow through everybody.

That sounds pretty hype to be honest. Stuff like that gets me hyped up. I think I might be a masochist or something because I think it makes most people give up and wonder why even bother. Not that I would stand any kind of chance, but it'd motivate me to have a full blown villain to focus on and try to beat.

Fun question. Did anyone here ever felt that a character in a fighting game had a move that just didn't fit their character or design? Playing MK X recently made me wonder about that, mainly because of Kano. Why is a cybernetic cutthroat rolling around like Blanka? It's even funnier when you use the EX roll and he can just stand in place spinning in the air.

You should know what this is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCmxK17t-eE

That sounds pretty hype to be honest. Stuff like that gets me hyped up. I think I might be a masochist or something because I think it makes most people give up and wonder why even bother. Not that I would stand any kind of chance, but it'd motivate me to have a full blown villain to focus on and try to beat.

I enjoy people making others look completely free every now and then. (Hello, Infiltration 2012)

Kimosabae

Banned
Juicebox, in consideration of your second point, is there any particular reason you aren't playing Xrd? I've felt the GG series has been a paragon of this type of design long before I got into it.

That said, I do enjoy the fact that SF rounds can be routinely played at specific ranges - as you said. I appreciate relatively low variance neutral game because it's simple and I find simplicity to be more competitive. I find SF4 and MK9/10 to be current vestiges of some vintage fighting game design, for obvious reasons, and I don't want to see it go away (the former, even with its comeback mechanics).

I don't see a problem.

I don't think the person who wins a match of SF4 is necessarily better at fighting games than the person they defeat, and that is at odds with my beliefs on competitive play.

Hasn't K.Brad retired like 15 times? Probably not the best example.

But in general I don't blame SF4, I blame the skill gap where top American players can rock up and win through simple tactics (Not to mention the problem of "teams/splitting" which set back skill levels for years). The problem just gets highlighted more in SF4 since that is a game that people actually still care about. If you added 1000 pot monsters to KOF then the "top players" would find some simply shit to get them to top 8 and call it a day too.

Outside of the US, results seem pretty consistent to me.

kitzkozan

That said, I do enjoy the fact that SF rounds can be routinely played at specific ranges - as you said. I appreciate relatively low variance neutral game because it's simple and I find simplicity to be more competitive. I find SF4 and MK9/10 to be current vestiges of vintage some fighting game design, for obvious reasons, and I don't want to see it go away (the former, even with its comeback mechanics).

It's also the main reason why SF is still my favorite FG series. :] That said, I appreciate 2D FG which are faster and have plenty of movement option like the ASW air dashing or KOF. SFV can keep it's vintage neutral game while improving the walking speed and pace a little bit. MK X is a fast paced game which has momentum and should be the most popular NRS game with the FGC so far, so the contrast of SFV being a snail pace FG (slower than IV somehow lol) would hurt it imo.

BadWolf

The Korean IGT 2015 tournament was FT3 each match but single elimination for all games. What do you guys think of this format?

Seemed to work well and the tournament was moving at a fast pace with high tension throughout.

And the grand finals didn't drag either since both players were on equal footing from the get go.

oh hey, all pools are finally up now (well, it's preliminary, but still)

Northwest Majors entrants by game:

Melee-152
USF4-131
Xrd-127
Smash 4-102
Project M-88
TTT2-64
MKX-58
UNIEL-48
UMvC3-47 (lol)
P4AU-39
BBCP-38 (I clearly see a duplicate in pool 1...)
GGXX-32
Skullgirls-25
VS-21
Smash 64-19
Injustice-18

Marvel: now so dead it's actually in the bottom half in entrants /s
RIP sfiv. Smash is the new king of FGC. /kappa.

zlatko

Banned
That NW Majors entrants list is a bit...disheartening.

How does MKX not have itself in the top 3? Game had to have sold shit tons, has great feedback(minus online issues atm), and is below that many games?

I'm glad XRD is still maintaining its momentum. I want to see me some good Potemkin busting. :D

That NW Majors entrants list is a bit...disheartening.

How does MKX not have itself in the top 3? Game had to have sold shit tons, has great feedback(minus online issues atm), and is below that many games?

I'm glad XRD is still maintaining its momentum. I want to see me some good Potemkin busting. :D

maybe cats play it for the story

If Nash ties into the the whole Gill storyline due to the gem stuff, I hope Urien can make it into the roster.

But more than that, I want to see a good number of newcomers. 5+ and I'll be elated.

Exile20

oh hey, all pools are finally up now (well, it's preliminary, but still)

Northwest Majors entrants by game:

Melee-152
USF4-131
Xrd-127
Smash 4-102
Project M-88
TTT2-64
MKX-58
UNIEL-48
UMvC3-47 (lol)
P4AU-39
BBCP-38 (I clearly see a duplicate in pool 1...)
GGXX-32
Skullgirls-25
VS-21
Smash 64-19
Injustice-18

Marvel: now so dead it's actually in the bottom half in entrants /s

MKX-58 - WTF , ahahahha, this is so sad and pitiful. For a new game and has such low participants? wow.

Good to see Smash having great numbers., especially Smash 4.

kitzkozan

MKX entrants are low because current gen only.

Yet the Wii U install base is tiny compared to the Xbox one and PS4 combined and there are nearly twice as many entrants for Smash Wii U. :p These excuses simply don't fly and it's an early sign that this is yet another NRS game that could eventually fizzle out in 2-3 years. Popular with the casuals as expected, but possibly another case of failing to convert these players into participants in the FGC.

fader

can you go into more detail?

also, im drooling at the teeth to see ogawa destroy everyone.

huh... probably similar to like how Netherelms have wb online or World Tekken Federation

Tripon

Smash Wii U popularity is because Smash players have a strong history of attending tournaments to the point where they will make their own tournaments if need be. Smash Wii U is also most of the people who play Brawl competitively and they moved on to Wii U. Smash 4 have also turned casuals into tourney goers as well.

Not to say that the NRS community doesn't also have a history of attending tournaments, but they don't have a great history of turning casuals into tourney goers, and the NRS community has been a smaller niche than most communities.

kitzkozan

Smash Wii U popularity is because Smash players have a strong history of attending tournaments to the point where they will make their own tournaments if need be. Smash Wii U is also most of the people who play Brawl competitively and they moved on to Wii U. Smash 4 have also turned casuals into tourney goers as well.

Not to say that the NRS community doesn't also have a history of attending tournaments, but they don't have a great history of turning casuals into tourney goers, and the NRS community has been a smaller niche than most communities.

Exactly! And the more things change, the more they stay the same. If early indication are to be believed, this will yet be another NRS game which is incapable of converting casual into tournament players. So far, Capcom and Nintendo games are the only ones who had significant success in converting audience. There's little doubt that Street Fighter V will be king at EVO 2016, even if it were to sell less than MK X.

NRS promoting online only tournaments is not a step in the right direction imo, especially given the quality of said netcode. XD

Sayad

MKX entrants are low because current gen only.
It's also because it's still new, I imagine most people wont be traveling for a tournament with one week of experience. There's already more players with X1/PS4 than those with WiiU, and that's not affecting Smash 4 much.

And these events need to do a better job at promoting because it's sad there's people who didn't know that NWM was taking place on the week that it's being held.

Anecdotal, but it seems like I used to see streams run trailers for upcoming events more often, which made it easier to keep track of what stuff is coming up.

North West Majors has never been a NRS focused tournament. NRS players typically don't travel to it. I am not surprised turnout isn't great. I expect big numbers from Combo Breaker, CEO, and ECT.

alstein

Exactly! And the more things change, the more they stay the same. If early indication are to be believed, this will yet be another NRS game which is incapable of converting casual into tournament players. So far, Capcom and Nintendo games are the only ones who had significant success in converting audience. There's little doubt that Street Fighter V will be king at EVO 2016, even if it were to sell less than MK X.

NRS promoting online only tournaments is not a step in the right direction imo, especially given the quality of said netcode. XD

I think if KOFXIII had good, or even UM-quality netcode on console, the game would have retained a good number of players and had a longer effective tourney life.

You just can't expand a community unless casual players can play legitimate matches and become decent without traveling.

MKX got nearly all of the little things right, but on netcode and execution ,which I think are the two biggest things, they dropped the ball hard. (the way run-cancelling is done is going to lead to a huge-ass barrier, doubled by netcode issues)

Casuals, and even semi-competitives, aren't going to keep at a game that has high maintenance.

Top Bottom