• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/24-30| Trying Our Hardest to Become Pachinko Slot Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixelish

ceotaku early registration numbers.
guess how many players̶ a dead game has gotten so far.

CNQ3CVHWoAAOVDq.png

Kumubou

ceotaku early registration numbers.
guess how many players̶ a dead game has gotten so far.
So when can we replace UMvC3 with Aquapazza as a main game? :V

NEC new dates is December 11th - 13th. only 1 week delay
One issue I can see with that is that it puts the event closer to peak holiday travel times, which means that flying in is going to be a pain in the ass and more expensive. Kind of surprised that Capcom hooked Big E up with the change (but it's a good look).

El Sloth

Banned
Early reg numbers will only be worth discussing when registering early becomes the norm and the majority of final entrants do it. Otherwise they're just nice as a curiosity.

Like, the Marvel number is funny, but I seriously doubt that at least the Flordian Marvel scene won't show up to support their boy Jebailey.

Although, maybe Prog was right and this will help motivate the anime community to show up in force if they see it as a "challenge".

anyone else feeling like we really need a new catch-all term for these games that isn't "anime"

Beats

9 entrants for a 1k pot bonus
sounds ripe for learning the game real fast and then scoring your way into free money

There are people who have confirmed on the sg forums that likely haven't pre-registered. Some of the stronger players will be there too, so probably not free. : p

anyone else feeling like we really need a new catchall term for these games that isn't "anime"

yes. though I can't really think of anything at the moment.

El Sloth

Banned
There are people who have confirmed on the sg forums that likely haven't pre-registered. Some of the stronger players will be there too, so probably not free. : p
Yeah, I'd personally bet on the pot bonus going straight into Dekillsage's pocket lol
yes. though I can't really think of anything at the moment.
Me neither! It's a hard to think of a replacement that is both generic enough to include all those games and the people who play them without being as generic as "anime" and sounds good too lol

So let's see if I got this right

You won't be able to jab after teleport and ex moonsault?

The other person would adapt by half bar, would happen to me at least
I don't know the actual change. I'm just repeating the EH summary.

Airdashers?
I actually plan on defining genres like this:

Traditional Fighter (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat)
Airdash Fighter (BlazBlue, Guilty Gear)
Assist Team Fighter (Marvel, Skullgirls)
Tag Team Fighter (SFxT, TTT2)
Serial Team Fighter (KoF, SvC2)
3D Fighter (Tekken, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter)
Arena Fighter (Naruto, Pokken, Gundam)

Criticism is welcome.

I don't know the actual change. I'm just repeating the EH summary.

Criticism is welcome.

how are naruto,pokken,gundam arena fighters and not 3d fighters

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Criticism is welcome.

"Traditional fighter" is silly

CurlyW

This isn't really comparable. You had almost a half of a year to register for CEO, vs. The 2 months or so for CEOtaku.

So % wise then:

CEO June got 110 registrants in the first 16.7% of the registration period.

CEOtaku got 58 registrants in the first 12.5% of the registration period.

Numbers are fine. Marvel players are lazy (or don't want to be associated with anime).

El Sloth

Banned
Airdashers?
I don't know, "Airdashers" has never sat right with me personally. It also feels weird calling UNI an airdasher, when the actual airdash in that game is so rarely used hah.

I'd be okay with it if that's what everyone else started calling the games. Even if "airdashers community" sounds weird to say lol

Zissou

There's always going to be overlap and ambiguous/debatable cases when categories are used. I think it'd be more informative and robust to come up with axes and just rate games individually on all the axis to get across the 'flavor' of the game.

Examples:
neutral game importance <-------------------------------------------------> setplay importance
limited mobility <-------------------------------------------------> high mobility
complex <-------------------------------------------------> simple
resource mangement important <-------------------------------------------------> resource management unimportant
match-ups important (counterpick-heavy) <-------------------------------------------------> match-ups insignificant (counterpicks largely unused)
1v1 < team-based with limited synergy importance > team-based with extreme focus on team synergy
primarily close range combat < combat at multiple ranges if common > effective combat primarily happens at a distance
yomi extremely important <-------------------------------------------------> yomi fairly unimportant
easy execution <-------------------------------------------------> difficult execution
low skill ceiling <-------------------------------------------------> high skill ceiling

No real importance attached to either side of any axis being good or bad.

Constructive would offer an alternative to "Traditional Fighters". :p I think it's fitting because SF is the original fighting game.

There's always going to be overlap and ambiguous/debatable cases when categories are used. I think it'd be more informative and robust to come up with axes and just rate games individually on all the axis to get across the 'flavor' of the game.

Examples:
neutral game importance <-------------------------------------------------> setplay importance
limited mobility <-------------------------------------------------> high mobility
complex <-------------------------------------------------> simple
resource mangement important <-------------------------------------------------> resource management unimportant
match-ups important (counterpick-heavy) <-------------------------------------------------> match-ups insignificant (counterpicks largely unused)
1v1 < team-based with limited synergy importance > team-based with extreme focus on team synergy
primarily close range combat < combat at multiple ranges if common > effective combat primarily happens at a distance
yomi extremely important <-------------------------------------------------> yomi fairly unimportant
easy execution <-------------------------------------------------> difficult execution
low skill ceiling <-------------------------------------------------> high skill ceiling

No real importance attached to either side of any axis being good or bad.

But subgenres. :(

rookiejet

Right, the implication is that MK and SF need a modifier too.

Maybe traditional simple fighter, then? I still think the 'simple' is superfluous, I can get the intended meaning without it.

Edit: 'Classical' might be also good. 'Traditional' could then be used to further modify depending on how weird the game is considered within its genre group.

1. Stuff wot inherits from Street Fighter (Capcom/SNK fighters)
1a. Stuff wot inherits from Mortal Kombat (Midway/Rare fighters)
2. Stuff wot inherits from Guilty Gear (JPN anime devs, Mahvel, Skullgirls)
3. Stuff wot inherits from Virtua Fighter (Namco Bandai fighters)
4. Smash

Other than the occasional wandering game like Marvel, it's really more of a company-by-company style to me, rather than trying to decide what's "anime" or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom