• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/24-30| Trying Our Hardest to Become Pachinko Slot Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zissou

I feel like it's the best way to identify what kinds of fighters you like. For example, I definitely like Assist Team Fighters more than any other genre.

Seems to me majority of players seriously play a single game at a time. OneFrameLink's evo stats showed a majority of players entered a single game, so I'd venture that majority of people only seriously play one series- some get stuck on a certain entry (ex. 3S guys that didn't like 4) while other will just move onto the newest one no matter what. A smaller but still significant group of players probably choose by publisher (capcom players, arcsys players, NRS players, etc.) I'd be surprised if 'type of fighter' was half as good a predictor of game choice than either of the previous two things I mentioned (though obviously many publishes tend to have a degree of homogeneity across their various game series).

Too many games mix and match various traits to cleanly fit into subgenres. MKX doesn't really resemble SF4 though you place both in the same category. MvC1 has assists but they're limited. Where would you put Jojo? Smash? VS? This shit? Too many things are independent variables- something being team-based and something having air dashes don't have anything to do with each other even though both are often present together.

1. Stuff wot inherits from Street Fighter (Capcom/SNK fighters)
1a. Stuff wot inherits from Mortal Kombat (Midway/Rare fighters)
2. Stuff wot inherits from Guilty Gear (JPN anime devs, Mahvel, Skullgirls)
3. Stuff wot inherits from Virtua Fighter (Namco Bandai fighters)
4. Smash

Other than the occasional wandering game like Marvel, it's really more of a company-by-company style to me, rather than trying to decide what's "anime" or not.
This is the correct way to classify things

Sayad

I don't know the actual change. I'm just repeating the EH summary.

I actually plan on defining genres like this:

Traditional Fighter (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat)
Airdash Fighter (BlazBlue, Guilty Gear)
Assist Team Fighter (Marvel, Skullgirls)
Tag Team Fighter (SFxT, TTT2)
Serial Team Fighter (KoF, SvC2)
3D Fighter (Tekken, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter)
Arena Fighter (Naruto, Pokken, Gundam)

Criticism is welcome.
Traditional fighter, 3D fighters, Airdashers, Arena Fighter and I'd add Party Fighter(save Character Action Game Fighter for DMC5's vs mode ;p) are well defined groups that gives a clear idea about how the game plays.

On the other hand Assist Fighters, Tag Fighters and Serial Fighters doesn't really describe the games very well. TTT2 plays just like a 3D fighter while SFxT, CvS2 and KoF play like a traditional ones. Marvel would fit more under a VS Fighters group along with TvC and the old VS games than it would in a group with Skull Girls. Also games like KoF2000 and KoF1999 both had teams and assists but putting them in ATF groups along with SG and MvC would be ridiculous.

4r5

Just genre everything like how Kojima does with his own games.

So MK would be FATAL X-RAY ACTION
and ST would be SUPER DIZZY COMBAT ACTION

peter0611

I don't know the actual change. I'm just repeating the EH summary.

I actually plan on defining genres like this:

Traditional Fighter (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat)
Airdash Fighter (BlazBlue, Guilty Gear)
Assist Team Fighter (Marvel, Skullgirls)
Tag Team Fighter (SFxT, TTT2)
Serial Team Fighter (KoF, SvC2)
3D Fighter (Tekken, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter)
Arena Fighter (Naruto, Pokken, Gundam)

Criticism is welcome.
I'm almost afraid to ask this, but...
Where would Smash be placed? In its own unique category?

shaowebb

Just genre everything like how Kojima does with his own games.

So MK would be FATAL X-RAY ACTION
and SF would be SUPER DIZZY COMBAT ACTION

ayyyyyy lmao :D

O7679Q0.gif

4r5

It doesn't, double checked just now to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong.

I'm going to look at the archives to make sure if I really did see a cross-up last night.

Well I just triple-checked. Ky vs Slayer, looks like a crossup to me. Do I gotta break out my recording equipment?

Seems to me majority of players seriously play a single game at a time. OneFrameLink's evo stats showed a majority of players entered a single game, so I'd venture that majority of people only seriously play one series- some get stuck on a certain entry (ex. 3S guys that didn't like 4) while other will just move onto the newest one no matter what. A smaller but still significant group of players probably choose by publisher (capcom players, arcsys players, NRS players, etc.) I'd be surprised if 'type of fighter' was half as good a predictor of game choice than either of the previous two things I mentioned (though obviously many publishes tend to have a degree of homogeneity across their various game series).

Too many games mix and match various traits to cleanly fit into subgenres. MKX doesn't really resemble SF4 though you place both in the same category. MvC1 has assists but they're limited. Where would you put Jojo? Smash? VS? This shit? Too many things are independent variables- something being team-based and something having air dashes don't have anything to do with each other even though both are often present together.
I agree that most people stick to one game, but everyone has preferences. If MvC4 got announced next to SFV, I would lose interest in SFV so fast.

3S guys might not like 4, but it's not like they said "screw this, I'm going to play Tekken" - the games are more similar than they are different.

VS is in the Airdasher genre, yes?

Smash clearly gets its own category.

Jojo and P4A could be in their own category; It's debatable.

Traditional fighter, 3D fighters, Airdashers, Arena Fighter and I'd add Party Fighter(save Character Action Game Fighter for DMC5's vs mode ;p) are well defined groups that gives a clear idea about how the game plays.

On the other hand Assist Fighters, Tag Fighters and Serial Fighters doesn't really describe the games very well. TTT2 plays just like a 3D fighter while SFxT, CvS2 and KoF play like a traditional ones. Marvel would fit more under a VS Fighters group along with TvC and the old VS games than it would in a group with Skull Girls. Also games like KoF2000 and KoF1999 both had teams and assists but putting them in ATF groups along with SG and MvC would be ridiculous.
Except TTT2 and SFxT have the additional meta of managing two health bars that are interchangeable, plus exchange combos. Some people really like that.

Maybe I'm just prejudiced, but I feel like "Party Fighter" is a derogatory term. :p

Maybe a few main categories with several subcategories would make more sense.

I'm almost afraid to ask this, but...
Where would Smash be placed? In its own unique category?
I forgot Smash - it would have its own category.

Rhapsody

Banned
Well I just triple-checked. Ky vs Slayer, looks like a crossup to me. Do I gotta break out my recording equipment?

No, I see it now. I had no idea the hitbox for it was super high up. I always tested it on crouching.
I learned something new then!

Anne

I for one want stand-fighters to be it's own thing. Also more games with stands getting made.

I'm just saying Persona is far and away massively different than Jojos especially with how the stands work. Persona is somewhere in the middle of GG and BB lol

Numb

I'm just saying Persona is far and away massively different than Jojos especially with how the stands work. Persona is somewhere in the middle of GG and BB lol

The stands being the important part is what i want. 3D,hyper,tag,2D and anime fighting games all with stands.

Also where would you put games like WWE or Fight Night, games that have what the general public considers to have "actual fighting" (pretend I am doing gigantic wavy air quotes here)

I think your approach is flawed because the fighting game genre as it's known today revolves around the lineage started by SFII, so when you're describing another game in the genre it's typically as "it's street fighter but...". When you start getting commonalities between different games (and again, typically the similarities come from one developer riffing/ripping off another rather than independently evolving) is when you should maybe consider a subgenre label.

Games like Gundam, Smash, Dissidia, Bushido Blade etc. weren't cut from the same cloth as SF-likes so it's more difficult to put them into subgenres, because the subgenres are defined in terms of Street Fighter.

NEO0MJ

Also where would you put games like WWE or Fight Night, games that have what the general public considers to have "actual fighting" (pretend I am doing gigantic wavy air quotes here)

They had their own arcade stick. If that doesn't make them a fighter then nothing does.

Sayad

Lol, I can see why "party fighter" would be considered derogatory, it only really works if we're talking about smash outside the competitive rule set. But I just couldn't think of anything else at the time, maybe 2D Arena Fighter since you have full free movement independent of the other player's position, in none flat levels!

Edit:
Platform fighter

Or this.

Everytime it is called ''party game'' i can see the Smash (competative)community not feeling it.

Every fighting game is a party game. But some old guys were like "there's a strategic element to these games", and that belief snowballed, which built the community we have now.

Numb

Every fighting game is a party game. But some old guys were like "there's a strategic element to these games", which built the community we have now.
Indeed.
You'll get different results telling that to a room full of Smash players from them than the other fighter fans.
The creator coming out and saying it ain't a fighter they got past so this probably means nothing to them by now.

mbpm1

"I really want to get involved with this community but it's hard to find centralized information to learn stuff/the people seem so negative, it puts me off"

Lol I saw someone say this on another site but it was completely unrelated to FGC matters for once.

I think everyone here should play Yakuza 5 when it comes out.

I think Karst was on a good start in terms of categorization of fighters but it might become a bit too granular much like parsing out FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom