• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/24-30| Trying Our Hardest to Become Pachinko Slot Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bookmark it guys, you won't get lost.

If a thread with specific news dies down, then there wasnt much interest in it. We can still talk about it here.

Why does this being in a different section change what we talk about?

Old sf4 threads were popping in community.

MKX on its own, I get why it's slowed down. But all fighting games under one banner? I'm not sure that the argument for staying in gaming is that this thread needs a crutch to survive. Maybe I'm not understanding the argument being made here.
Maybe I am being naive here, but I feel like part of the purpose of GAF is to help grow gaming as a medium. That includes helping people get exposed to new aspects of gaming. It isn't that FGW dies in community, but that it needs Gaming to thrive, and this move hinders the growth of the community in a significant way.

kirblar

No, it wont' stop the discussion, but it's also (imo) not where those topics belong, because it's innately a thread about current events. It's why it resets every week.
Old sf4 threads were popping in community.
Yes. SF4. Single-game threads are all over community. Those still exist. (Remember the GAF Marvel Patch notes? That wasn't in FGC.) There aren't any multi-game genre threads in Gaming Community that I'm aware of, they're all single-game/system/show/topic ones. FGW doesn't fit among them.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I mean the fact that this happened so suddenly makes me think the decision is already set in stone. Ultimately good things must come to an end at some point, and if this results in FG Weekly heading to the graveyard (as in low to no participation) then I guess there's nothing that can be done about it.

Only if people are going to allow that to happens. If thread died then it will land on most of people here who decided to leave the threads because of "community forum curse. then that would be on them, rather than on moderators or admins. If people here are going to continue to go back to our normal sessions and discuss about the fighting games then we should be okay.

Anne

Also as pointed out, discussion about fighting games outside of FGW in gaming side is generally incredibly shallow and is often just screaming about roster discussion. I don't see us going into those threads and changing that, but people came into FGW to talk about the deeper stuff and that 100% deserved to stay on gaming side.

Again it's less about exposure and more about us having a spot in the right place for that kind of discussion. It also means a lot to people like me who are into smaller fighting games that don't have a home on gaming side, especially since people who come into FGW from time to time seem to really appreciate our interests and ask/talk about it, where a thread would not work.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If the small news posts start getting their own posts on Gaming side, they're just going to die off quickly and be drowned repeatedly.
That already happens on Gaming Side. Threads sink or swim all the time. Fighting news doesn't merit special treatment.

Plus there's always the search function.

We could do like Wrassle-gaf and do a Fighting Games Monthly thread, and update the home page with times each week and do like a little blurb breaking down news that happened the previous month in the opening of each new monthly thread. Catches folks up, keeps them up to date on stream times and majors for the whole month and it just sorta worked for wrassle-gaf. This way the overall viewcount and posts stays high, information isn't not being posted on times and events (actually gives folks a longer heads up than a week for some events) and we never come across as some ancient old dead community by having one super old thread we keep bumping nor come across as a small group of dudes who just make threads weekly.

It'd be good timing to try it if nothing else...next week is a new month.
This is good. Learn from other successful OT threads and emulate what works. At the very least, try before automatically complaining that the thread has been relegated.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Also as pointed out, discussion about fighting games outside of FGW in gaming side is generally incredibly shallow and is often just screaming about roster discussion. I don't see us going into those threads and changing that, but people came into FGW to talk about the deeper stuff and that 100% deserved to stay on gaming side.

But we could do that here too. What would stop us from doing that as well? That excuse don't really make any sense.

Example: Some of us actually discuss about downloadable characters in two different threads in Gaming Community (Ballot Thread and Smash 3DS/WiiU OT) rather than gaming forum's thread sometime. It don't really stop us from discussing it in community forum.

shaowebb

Assuming posters don't give up posting individual threads that might be of interest to the gaming side, you are just going to end up with a bunch of small threads quickly bumped into obscurity and a bigger thread on the most prominent weekly tournament taking the place of this thread.

Moving FGW to community loses exposure of new weekly events and information posted in the OP to gaming side posters who might be interested, because they arent going to survive as individual threads.

This is really my only real concern. Thats why if we are here...we should probably make it very public in the thread title that the front page updates and has stream stuff in it. Otherwise folks will just take it for another topical community instead of a place for current stream programming info as well. At least until folks get used to us being here and how it'll roll.

I think a fighting game monthly with an updating front page could work for us. It works for wrassle gaf really well for the reasons I stated above...it shows up, quickly breaks down anything major goin on in the scene the previous month (feuds, money matches, win/loss records), and then it goes on to post the date, time, and streams for majors happening that month with a section that updates weekly for misc streams and weekly stuff. Wrassle gaf gets hype for a whole month of stuff at a time and to see folks take each other on later at events...we liken ourselves to wrestling enough that I think this kind of promoting for our own scene would work.

Shouta

No, it wont' stop the discussion, but it's also (imo) not where those topics belong, because it's innately a thread about current events. It's why it resets every week.

Right. It's not about new content being bumped whenever but actually about things happening that week and all that. This thread certainly has elements of community in it but more often than not, it's very much on topic with what's going on at the time.

For reference, the first form of the FGW showed up in 2010 with Oichi's thread.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This is really my only real concern. Thats why if we are here...we should probably make it very public in the thread title that the front page updates and has stream stuff in it. Otherwise folks will just take it for another topical community instead of a place for current stream programming info as well. At least until folks get used to us being here and how it'll roll.

I think a fighting game monthly with an updating front page could work for us. It works for wrassle gaf really well for the reasons I stated above...it shows up, quickly breaks down anything major goin on in the scene the previous month (feuds, money matches, win/loss records), and then it goes on to post the date, time, and streams for majors happening that month with a section that updates weekly for misc streams and weekly stuff.

I second this, and my other suggestion to get more exposure for this thread is that we must constantly link our community thread to FCG-related threads, like I did in three SFV threads.

Anne

But we could do that here too. What would stop us from doing that as well? That excuse don't really make any sense.

We could totally do that here too, but I feel like community puts a focus on, well, the community side of things. It's more about whether or not that type of stuff has a place on gaming side and would function better over there, which I believe it does.

Again it's weird. This thread is a community thread when you look at it but the types of things I'm talking about definitely can and should fit into the gaming side. It's healthier for the passerby to read and comment on rather than believe this thread is solely centered on community things, which it definitely is not.

remist

Assuming the goal is to provide information to the gaming side in a way that is the lowest noise to signal ratio, moving FGW to the community side is doing the opposite. This is a compact thread with current weekly news and events in the OP. Threads that could stand on their own like majors were already being made separately. I don't see how this helps anyone.

I'd like to ask directly what is the benefit to gaming side of moving us to community?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I second this, and my other suggestion to get more exposure for this thread is that we must constantly link our community thread to FCG-related threads, like I did in three SFV threads.

I'd be willing to assist in this regard, ie. employing mod-abuse privileges to add the Community thread URL to Gaming Side FCG OPs. If it's a community you want to grow, I'm happy to help.

shaowebb

Anyone have a list of major things that happened this past month in various fighting games? Major matches, feuds, tourney wins or notable highlights from the Smash, GGXrd, UMVC3, SFIV, MKX, KI, or whatever scenes?

If so, we got till Monday...we could compose it together into something presentable as a breakdown of happenings and goings on last month and what you may want to see more from and then we can post that as the buildup for Septembers major events. Whether its info, or links to archives or highlights from stuff would be great for new folks tuning in. It'd actually provide more of a vantage point than they currently get from the home page of the thread. Then just list the majors, their links and follow that up with the weekly programming links that we can have someone update if needed.

I'd be willing to assist in this regard, ie. employing mod-abuse privileges to add the Community thread URL to Gaming Side FCG OPs. If it's a community you want to grow, I'm happy to help.

That isn't a bad compromise.

I need to know, though: what would a convincing argument for us staying Gaming look like?

vulva

I'm pretty lazy and just pop in when I see the thread on the front page, so I doubt I'll be around much. Later dudes!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
what would a convincing argument for us staying Gaming look like?
I'm just saying the community aspect of this thread is what it is and I don't see us going back to gaming looking like we do now. That sucks cause we lose the important job this thread does in the main forum. I'd rather we figure out a way to dilute that nonsense out and try to exist in gaming, as fun as that nonsense gets
It is very difficult to do, btw. This isn't the first time we've dealt with this issue. Like removing the pee from the swimming pool :p

kirblar

This is good. Learn from other successful OT threads and emulate what works. At the very least, try before automatically complaining that the thread has been relegated.
But this isn't an OT thread.

These are the OT threads on the first page:
Dota 2
TF2
GW2
Minecraft
Destiny
Bloodborne
MGS Series
One Piece
Splatoon
Hearthstone
Mistwalker
Marvel Future Fight
MechWarrior
STEAM platform
FF RK
LOL
Giant Bomb
Smash 4
D3
Chain Chronicle
Dragon Blaze
Amiibo
SBF
Pokemon
Final Fantasy
Nintendo Downloads
Witcher 3
WoW
Rocket League
Smite
Madden
HOTS
SMT
Halo
Idol stuff
Pokemon Shuffle
Persona series
Kinda Funny???
Marvel Puzzzle Quest
I don't understand looking at this list and thinking that this thread belongs with those topics. All of them are specific. You want to discuss a certain topic? Search it up in community.

This thread isn't like those. It's not tied down to a certain game, a certain platform, or a certain group of people. It's ephemeral- it in many ways is the NeoGAF equivalent of stream chat. It exists because there was a need for it, not because we're trying to be "better than those other OT threads."

If you think this thread is like those, I don't think you've been following this thread during the times where multiple events have been going on back to back to back overlapping on a single weekend. Having 3 discussion threads for 3 smaller tournaments all running concurrently in different time zones is a horrible idea, it reduces visibility/awareness on ALL of them. The thread both allows for discussion in a single place that reduces thread clutter and increases awareness, and it also contains the Calendar OT in case someone ants to see if anything's going on.

gutabo

This is more of a hub and the topic is always what's happening right now fighting games wise, not one-game wise. We need all the help we can get and being in gaming brings exposure than we surely won't get in Community.

Bleh, there's people here that can say what I want to say way better.

Necesitamos estar en gaming!

Beats

Somewhat fighting game related, but anyone here watched the Darkstalkers OVAs? Saw that Discotek may potentially bring it over and was curious about it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think I'm going to take a break from this kind of argument because people wouldn't give up at any cost so I will let it panning out by itself. I actually understand how people felt about it. I'm pretty used to it because most of my favorite communities are in community threads. If people just gave up on our community like Vulva, Chavelo, Smurfx and few members. Then that's on them for killing our community because they just gave up because of silly reasons? I guess they are allergic to Community Forum smells.

Anyone have a list of major things that happened this past month in various fighting games? Major matches, feuds, tourney wins or notable highlights from the Smash, GGXrd, UMVC3, SFIV, MKX, KI, or whatever scenes?

If so, we got till Monday...we could compose it together into something presentable as a breakdown of happenings and goings on last month and what you may want to see more from and then we can post that as the buildup for Septembers major events. Whether its info, or links to archives or highlights from stuff would be great for new folks tuning in. It'd actually provide more of a vantage point than they currently get from the home page of the thread. Then just list the majors, their links and follow that up with the weekly programming links that we can have someone update if needed.

I don't really follow programming that much because I don't really have a lot of free times on my personal computer. Most of times, I was on mobile.

That would be awesome. Feel free to try that. I will add it to Street Fighter V Roster discussion OP right now.

shaowebb

I don't understand looking at this list and thinking that this thread belongs with those topics. All of them are specific. You want to discuss a certain topic? Search it up in community.

This thread isn't like those. It's not tied down to a certain game, a certain platform, or a certain group of people. It's ephemeral- it in many ways is the NeoGAF equivalent of stream chat. It exists because there was a need for it, not because we're trying to be "better than those other OT threads."

If you think this thread is like those, I don't think you've been following this thread during the times where multiple events have been going on back to back to back overlapping on a single weekend. Having 3 discussion threads for 3 smaller tournaments all running concurrently in different time zones is a horrible idea, it reduces visibility/awareness on ALL of them. The thread both allows for discussion in a single place that reduces thread clutter and increases awareness, and it also contains the Calendar OT in case someone ants to see if anything's going on.

Again though, thats just in Gaming where we talk about titles and not genres mainly in community. Look over in the regular Off Topic Community. Pop-gaf is all over multiple artists and countries, Wrassle Gaf covers WWE, TNA, Lucha Underground, NJPW, ROH, and more. Comics gaf covers the monthly happenings from MULTIPLE publishers and series alongside of merch. Even Toku-Gaf is covering multiple stuff because we talk up not just the latest Toku Kamen Rider show but also the current Sentai, any other similar shows out that season plus share talks about past series as well.

Community isn't necessarily bad is all I'm getting at. It may or maynot be suited for a Weekly format is my only thoughts, but it certainly works for things in general in terms of discussing whole scenes and not just individual titles or brands.

Tripon

I think the most relevant comparison for FGW are the weekly Giant Bomb thread. Those threads are filled with just as much regulars as the community thread and might be a part of why the GB community thread is still active. They have an outlet to remind people that Giant Bomb gets weekly content.

I think that's a job for the arguer ain't it?

Yeah otherwise its sort of like when a lawyer leads the witness...
I'm not asking him to make the argument for me. When a professor asks you to write a paper, it's fair to ask "What do I need to do to get an A on this?" Any decent professor will give you a rubric, or some set of standards. I'm just asking what qualifications FGW needs to have to be on Gaming side; otherwise, I don't even know if I'm making relevant arguments. Bishop has already said that a lot of what we've written is irrelevant, so I think it's important to ask what is relevant in this discussion.

May we at least attempt to make a new type of thread in gaming filled with the type of content Anne and Kirblar are leaning towards instead of our usual stuff?

kirblar

I think the most relevant comparison for FGW are the weekly Giant Bomb thread. Those threads are filled with just as much regulars as the community thread and might be a part of why the GB community thread is still active. They have an outlet to remind people that Giant Bomb gets weekly content.
They have a weekly discussion thread in Gaming in addition to the main OT in community?

That's this, except it's encompassing a wide number of OTs in community.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
May we at least attempt to make a new type of thread in gaming filled with the type of content Anne and Kirblar are leaning towards instead of our usual stuff?

Then people would move to there from here, and it would essentially become next Fighting Games Weekly. That's a problem.

the closest I see us as is the metal gear series or persona series thread, but honestly I have no idea how on topic those threads are during off years

I'm not asking him to make the argument for me. When a professor asks you to write a paper, it's fair to ask "What do I need to do to get an A on this?" Any decent professor will give you a rubric, or some set of standards. I'm just asking what qualifications FGW needs to have to be on Gaming side; otherwise, I don't even know if I'm making relevant arguments. Bishop has already said that a lot of what we've written is irrelevant, so I think it's important to ask what is relevant in this discussion.

Basically any justification that wouldn't also apply to stuff that's already in community, I'd imagine. FGW shouldn't get an exception to forum policy just because the posters think it would benefit from extra (perceived) visibility.

In any case, it neatly parallels with events in the real world, where a couple of hoodlums urinating on public property gets us kicked to the boonies. Thanks to Yams and Anime we lost the one thing we had going

kirblar

Again though, thats just in Gaming where we talk about titles and not genres mainly in community. Look over in the regular Off Topic Community. Pop-gaf is all over multiple artists and countries, Wrassle Gaf covers WWE, TNA, Lucha Underground, NJPW, ROH, and more. Comics gaf covers the monthly happenings from MULTIPLE publishers and series alongside of merch. Even Toku-Gaf is covering multiple stuff because we talk up not just the latest Toku Kamen Rider show but also the current Sentai, any other similar shows out that season plus share talks about past series as well.

Community isn't necessarily bad is all I'm getting at. It may or maynot be suited for a Weekly format is my only thoughts, but it certainly works for things in general in terms of discussing whole scenes and not just individual titles or brands.
That's OT Community - Politics, Manga- things go into broad categories there.

This is Gaming Community - a place where things have very tidy neat boxes.

El Sloth

Banned
So we finally got ghettoized, huh. Surprised it took so long to happen, to be honest.

Would have bet we would have gotten shipped off shortly after people started making cereal tier lists months ago.

Anne

Don't think it would solve the problem and is really clunky. Would be best to ask Shouta or somebody to set new guidelines and us be more strict on them. Would mean an end to a lot of the funny nonsense though I think, which let's be real the silly nonsense helps with starting discussions and is the only reason certain people even go to the thread. We all know the posters who never post about fighting games and just come in here going on about bullshit, that's why we're here now I'm willing to guess.

Why I suggested just making an IRC and putting it in the OP and saying "hey use this for silly bullshit" but Idk if that's just gonna kill the thread or spawn an Illuminati group and lead to AnimeGAF levels of stupidity.

It's hard. We gotta figure out what fits the guidelines to be on which side and which we honestly want the thread to be.

I basically see it as we're in community cause we spend the majority of the time being stupid and not talking about fighting games or fighting game content in a way that fits in gaming. Either we decide we like it this way and stay in community or we cut the crap and be a more focused thread. For this thread anyways, I don't have an alternative solution thought up.

Tripon

They have a weekly discussion thread in Gaming in addition to the main OT in community?

That's this, except it's encompassing a wide number of OTs in community.
Well, its technically based on the podcast, but a lot of the talk that goes on there is general Giant Bomb discussion.

But again FGW is more similar to the GB weekly thread then the community one.

Edit: ultimately, the issue I have with Community is the reason it exists and that is to house threads that the mods don't want in gaming.

kirblar

Well, its technically based on the podcast, but a lot of the talk that goes on there is general Giant Bomb discussion.

But again FGW is more similar to the GB weekly thread then the community one.

Edit: ultimately, the issue I have with Community is the reason it exists and that is to house threads that the mods don't want in gaming.
It's here because otherwise the front page would be a sea of popular OTs where news would struggle to exist.

I see this as a news ticket thread that absolutely belongs in Gaming because it's not a long-term thread about a specific title/platform/etc.

Moving this thread into OT seems to be based on having a fundamental misunderstanding of what this thread does.

DunpealD

I need to know, though: what would a convincing argument for us staying Gaming look like?

My argument would look like trimming the fat like bish shown as an example and other things like, "everything is anime/what is anime/fuck anime"-cycle, useless personal drama talk about fgc divas, character speculation/wishlist, prolonged food talk, etc.

Focusing on fighting games talk, even on slow news days. Like finding new tech, posting information about smaller 1 day events like the PS4 x Xrd event, anything that provides interesting footage, high profile money match hype, guides and tutorials.

In general more strict guidelines.

Quick question to Bish. Technically speaking should there be a Capcom Pro Tour 2015 OT like the LoL: Championship Series thread?
Also what kind of information warrants a new thread? Since it is kinda subjective to what needs to be posted and this is what everybody is worried about.

shaowebb

That's OT Community - Politics, Manga- things go into broad categories there.

This is Gaming Community - a place where things have very tidy neat boxes.

Then where does the iOS gaming thread in community fit into that perspective?
I'm just saying that if the FGW thread isn't neat and tidy and is a mess then why don't we just try and take this as an opportunity to make it something bigger and more exciting?

Other communities made it work. I see no reason why the Fighting Games community topic would be a wasteland. We still like the genre. Stuff still happens weekly. There are still crazy moments at the majors each month. We have all the esports news, moments and happenings to post to promote the scene with so why not push that to do more than just link people to streams but to familiarize them with faces, crazy things that are current and whats big each month? It'd add value that newcomers would want because the thread would serve as a news report they could catch up on scenes with. Then if they found the news or media links in those reports exciting they could follow the schedule to the links and such.

This formula worked in other communites...very noticeably wrasslin-GAF because in this manner if they tune in late to the thread each month they are instantly able to orient on whats been going on and mostly get caught up with things the second they join in. Very easy to digest and orient folks to current happenings, then it hits them with all the links and such we already do.

It'd at least give us a way to stay on topic with the thread to make it work in community, but from past trends here on GAF it actually provides a way to keep threads active and sustainable for long periods in community. All I'm saying is if we're gonna be here there are ways to make it work.

Anne

Now that I think about, I don't even think all the funny nonsense needs to end entirely, since if it is related to fighting games it usually leads to something good within a page and if not it fizzles out.

The big issue is the people who do view and use this primarily as a community thread, and the fact that multi page tangents about fruit, cereal, placenta, FGC personalities' personal lives outside of the competitive sphere, etc exist.

You could overlap pages of this thread with the wrestling OT and have almost a 1:1 of content types, and sometimes the wrestling thread will be more consistently on topic. We need to be way better than that to be able to say "our thread is different and deserves to be on gaming" cause that's a big claim for a thread that will often look like a community thread.

shaowebb

Now that I think about, I don't even think all the funny nonsense needs to end entirely, since if it is related to fighting games it usually leads to something good within a page and if not it fizzles out.

The big issue is the people who do view and use this primarily as a community thread, and the fact that multi page tangents about fruit, cereal, placenta, FGC personality personal lives outside of the competitive sphere, etc exist.

You could overlap pages of this thread with the wrestling OT and have almost a 1:1 of content types, and sometimes the wrestling thread will be more consistently on topic. We need to be way better than that to be able to say "our thread is different and deserves to be on gaming" cause that's a big claim for a thread that will often look like a community thread.

Thus a lot of my parallels to wrasslin-GAF threads really...we act like them.
mika8vodl.gif

kirblar

iOS is a single platform. Steam is a single platform. PS Vita thread is a single platform.

This thread has multiple platforms, a huge number of different games, and a gigantic variety of events that encompasses it.

The "Fighting Games Community" does not exist. That is the problem. It's a collection of a TON of subcommunities lumped together under a banner. Look at how many people played only 1-2 games at EVO. This is why having a single hub thread for current events is so useful, and why the thread ended up becoming this way in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom