• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/24-30| Trying Our Hardest to Become Pachinko Slot Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why so we can fill up GD with a million small 2 page threads of FGC news?
That's quite a leap you're making.

Not everything is newsworthy. Majors tend to get their own threads, as does significant events. I would classify the NLBC situation as significant. A thread will survive on its own merits if there's something to discuss. A thread on what some top player farted out on Twitter would NOT be significant and would hopefully die a quick death if made into a thread.

And that's not even putting moderators into the equation, who can help keep those dumb threads in check.

Nyoro SF

Before it was labeled community it was "online" and considered to be a thread graveyard. With the new rules on mega/community threads, they redid everything and now the only people who consider it a graveyard are people who legit don't know any better.

I'm passing through all the Gaming Community threads right now and the majority are:

1) Dominated by 2-4 posters that keep the thread alive
2) Bumped with huge gaps between posts

The only ones that don't follow this rule are megathreads that cover a huge swath of the gaming population (like the Steam thread) and threads that are related to nearly upcoming games. Neither are enviable threads to post in for current weekly happenings.

Community just creates that insular environment.

I think if it was Gaming News and Gaming Community it'd be easier to tell what goes where. Plus, then there'd be less list threads and LTTP making it hard to see what the actual news is.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176741769]I think if it was Gaming News and Gaming Community it'd be easier to tell what goes where. Plus, then there'd be less list threads and LTTP making it hard to see what the actual news is.[/QUOTE]
Nothing is going to stop dumb list threads and LTTP threads where the person hasn't even made it past the title screen. ;P

Anne

FGW is already insular as it is, and if there wasn't SF5 news popping up it'd be even less about the games and more about the community stuff. This thread has been more "Fighting Game Community" than "Fighting Game Discussion" for a long time, I mean people have been calling it "Stream Monster Weekly" for awhile now.

The only difference in here than other community threads I pop into is the sparks about fighting games and news and other stuff pop up and people outside the more insular part of FGW pop up and it starts to look like a thread that belongs in gaming. The only problem is when that isn't happening it's us talking about Keiko or whatever new non-gaming related stream nonsesne is going on.

So I don't know. This is definitely a community thread but from time to time it's a pretty useful gaming thread. Mixed bag, I don't know which way is correct. The fact that by all means it is a community thread, or the fact that it often times serves the same purpose as other gaming threads, is just kinda there :v

I think its hard to find an argument for not being in community besides when there is some really great live stream popping up or something news FG wise pops up. Than again NLBC is going down soon....
Its also nice to keep it in games because the meta of fighting games both in game and out.

It really is a bit of community and lol Kadey and Yams (and kinda me) proving the point however it covers a much more general field vs specific fighting game.

Its also nice to hit the reset button & recap on what happened on a weekly basis.

Beckx

I'm passing through all the Gaming Community threads right now and the majority are:

The only ones that don't follow this rule are megathreads that cover a huge swath of the gaming population (like the Steam thread) and threads that are related to nearly upcoming games. Neither are enviable threads to post in for current weekly happenings.

Fwiw the halogaf community thread was the whole reason I wanted to join gaf. Ironically several months later halo 4 made me lose interest in talking about halo.

Just got a TE2 stick, finally. Now I can play the beta properly instead of on that fuccin pad.

S/O to Vulva with the hidden missiles assist. Didn't go to the Toronto place tho, found one closer ;)

edit:
:dahell: happened in here lmao

can't memory/reload on this stick because it goes to the share menu BabyRage

Most of the community side stuff I subscribe to like the DOTA or GiantBomb OTs are just as active if not moreso than FGWs, it's only old game OTs which stagnate. I don't expect the statistics to necessarily support the notion that these threads are any less insular than the big community OTs.
I wonder why the weekly threads have been allowed for the past 5 years if it's clearly supposed to be something that's in community.

we just never noticed we live in such privilege

kirblar

When I go to Community for a thread, it's for a specific topic. Diablo, Hearthstone, WWE, Politics- they all have large dedicated threads for those things.

FGW doesn't really serve that kind of purpose. It's an information hub with current events, not a destination for people looking to discuss a specific topic.

"New News, New Thread" - FGW is always about stuff that's current, and it's not something people are generally going to go "looking" for in the Community threads, because it lacks that specific topicality.

notworksafe

well, bye :(

mika8vodl.gif

For what it's worth, I'm subbed to a lot of community threads in the interest of getting news/content, but they're all OT; this is the only gaming-side thread I go to in the interest of getting news. I've tried subbing to some gaming community threads, but like BeckX describes they generally fizzle out to the activity of a handful of posters.

I don't know if moving this thread to community will have the same effect because it does encompass a wider/steadier variety of content compared to most other community gaming OTs, but I'd definitely avoid a move if it was possible. I enjoy having to re-sub to new FGW threads because it gives me a sense of how far I've been away from the loop or not, and I think its presence in gaming general does help it exposure-wise.

I don't have much to support the exposure line of thought besides anecdotes, and I don't know what goes through the mind of the average GAF poster when browsing, but when I go to OT I have a specific intent of looking for a given topic in mind, whereas when I'm in General I'm just looking for new information. I think FGW benefits from being visible in that latter situation.

I don't have any formal reasons for protesting the move to community because it's clear these threads have been an exception to the rule for a long time, but I hope the exception can continue.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I thought it was just weird how people just decided to leave the community because it got moved to community. It's nothing wrong with staying here and keep it alive.

I understand that people are used to the fact that our community have been in gaming forum more than few years but it's a time for us to change. Nothing is wrong with the changes but people are not making any efforts to embrace the changes. I was astonished how people just gave up the community easily and leave, rather than making the efforts to keep the community up and alive. It really show us whose grounds people really stand on. If people left our community because of the moves then that's their losses.

There is a way that we could pull members in but I'm not sure how effective it would be. My suggestion is if we kept advertising this thread by linking it in every new news (FCG-related) threads and tournament threads (Apex, EVO, etc). It's possible that people would notice that and decide to join with us.

For people who kept saying that we get new information weekly. I agreed with the notion that we actually get new streams and tournament weekly. Sometime if tournaments are not huge then we still could talk about it here. Like, Please remember to drop by Fighting Games Community. (Link included).

There are many OT threads that are still active because they still get updates monthly or bi-monthly. Like Destiny, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Halo, WWE/Pro-Wrestling, MangaGAF, Sports, many more. I'm pretty sure that this community would stay alive for long time as we still keep chatting.

God's Beard, I urge you to not quit too soon. If you update your OT, then just let us know that Official Post got updated.

notworksafe

I don't have any formal reasons for protesting the move to community because it's clear these threads have been an exception to the rule for a long time, but I hope the exception can continue.

Pretty much agree. There's plenty of exceptions being made for threads that have semi-current content and could go either way and I was hoping the FG thread could be among them.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Most of the community side stuff I subscribe to like the DOTA or GiantBomb OTs are just as active if not moreso than FGWs, it's only old game OTs which stagnate.
Thank you. This is what I've been saying. There's no reason why this thread series can't duplicate the success already happening in other Gaming Community threads.

xCobalt

Just got a TE2 stick, finally. Now I can play the beta properly instead of on that fuccin pad.

S/O to Vulva with the hidden missiles assist. Didn't go to the Toronto place tho, found one closer ;)

edit:
:dahell: happened in here lmao

can't memory/reload on this stick because it goes to the share menu BabyRage

I'm in need of a te2. Where'd you get yours?

NEO0MJ

Thank you. This is what I've been saying. There's no reason why this thread series can't duplicate the success already happening in other Gaming Community threads.

Are they very successful at attracting new posters or is it just the old guard keeping the thread alive? Though I guess the same can be said about this thread if we;re being honest with ourselves.

Onemic

ineedthereceipts.gif

Other than community threads that are barely alive and rarely get on the front page for more than 10 minutes, this isnt true at all.

Can you explain to me the cons involved with having FGW exist in GD? There are clearly cons for moving it to community whether you will acknowledge them or not. So the question is WHY are you moving it in the first place when it's clear the majority of the people who frequent this thread want it to stay in GD?

Anne

I mean if anything this just gives people more of an excuse to post new threads about fighting games in gaming instead of defaulting to lurking on ours. The people who wanna stick around are gonna find us anyways.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Can you explain to me the cons involved with having FGW exist in GD? There are clearly cons for moving it to community whether you will acknowledge them or not. So the question is WHY are you moving it in the first place when it's clear the majority of the people who frequent this thread want it to stay in GD?

So are you saying that it's okay for us to be entitled posters and keep our community in gaming forum because we wanted it to?

I actually wish GAF would implement mandatory labels for each thread. We already do it in some cases.

[RUMOR]
[NEWS]
[SOCIAL]
[REVIEW]

Tags like that would be so good.

Then let me filter out stuff I don't ever want to see. :p

But why the change now, after so much time?
I always wondered if GAF was going to do more sub forums, because threads fly by so fast in GD.. but the tag idea would be great..

Shouta

Personally, I'd prefer the Fighting Game Weekly threads to be on the gaming side

This thread acts as a focal point for discussion about the Fighting Game Community (the one that runs the tournament circuits) and other minor game news like say location tests or rumors. So in that respect, i think this thread has a pretty good reason to be in gaming.

In addition it's often the only thread specifically about competitive FGs that shows up on a regular basis on the gaming side. We do get a few event threads from time to time but those specifically speak about the events that occurred there rather than the ongoing aspect of the FGC. Having this thread around is a nice way of exposing this to newer posters and to gather more interest. FGW has a unique niche that other threads don't have.

DOTA is a MUCH bigger game than any fighting game individually and even fighting games combined. It draws from a larger pool of folks that are interested in it. It being only one game helps. GiantBomb is general gaming and appeals to more folks than a thread about competitive fighting games. I don't think either is a good example of the potential of this thread, as pessimistic as that sounds.

I mean if anything this just gives people more of an excuse to post new threads about fighting games in gaming instead of defaulting to lurking on ours. The people who wanna stick around are gonna find us anyways.

That essentially is going to be what's going to happen. Folks will just post new threads for everything since posting news in this thread won't get the attention of folks browsing gaming. Even the minor FGC related stuff, lol.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This thread as it stands is a Community thread. That's why it was moved. If you polled the other Gaming Community threads I'm certain a clear majority would love to go back to Gaming side. The signal-to-noise ratio won't allow for that, unfortunately.

But why the change now, after so much time?
I finally got around to this thread and saw how it was being used.

That's fine. New threads for new news.

DOTA is a MUCH bigger game than any fighting game individually and even fighting games combined. It draws from a larger pool of folks that are interested in it. It being only one game helps.
DOTA may be an outlier, but is Destiny? Hearthstone? Puzzles and Dragons? Driveclub?

Anne

P
In addition it's often the only thread specifically about competitive FGs that shows up on a regular basis on the gaming side. We do get a few event threads from time to time but those specifically speak about the events that occurred there rather than the ongoing aspect of the FGC. Having this thread around is a nice way of exposing this to newer posters and to gather more interest. FGW has a unique niche that other threads don't have.

Ah yeah, this is a thing. Discussing fighting games competitively has a lot of merit and definitely should have a spot on the gaming side. That's the part of the thread I was trying to say earlier. I'm not gonna argue exposure, but that is the unique thing that definitely feels right on gaming side.

That's fine. New threads for new news.

Oh I agree, I think it's the one good thing that can happen. Now that Shouta mentions it though, that's the noticeable thing I don't see new threads popping up for with the depth you'd see discussed in here very often. That discussion can totally be in gaming and this was the only place to provide it worth anything.

Shouta

DOTA may be an outlier, but is Destiny? Hearthstone? Puzzles and Dragons? Driveclub?

Destiny, Hearthstone, and Drive Club? Those games have way more active communities than competitive fighting games do. The sales of those games show the huge gulf in player-base.

Even MKX, the biggest selling fighting game has a thread that's slowed to a near halt. It's very hard to keep a FG thread alive in community let alone to attract new players without directly exposing folks to the fact a competitive arena exists for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom