• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly |8/24-30| Trying Our Hardest to Become Pachinko Slot Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176743991]I would but Witcher 3 crashed after I played about 6 hours straight yesterday and now I'm slightly burnt out.[/QUOTE]
No saves?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
BakedYams
Banned
(Today, 05:28 PM)

I broke the system. You know, I find it better to be on gaming side cause of all the news happening with SFV coming out and future FG's. Plus due to the size of the community and how flippant some players can be, it might be fruitful for it to stay on the gaming side. I only say this since we regularly update the thread with news for others to see. I don't browse community threads cause I find it a hassle personally, but that's just me being lazy.

kirblar

I broke the system. You know, I find it better to be on gaming side cause of all the news happening with SFV coming out and future FG's. Plus due to the size of the community and how flippant some players can be, it might be fruitful for it to stay on the gaming side. I only say this since we regularly update the thread with news for others to see. I don't browse community threads cause I find it a hassle personally, but that's just me being lazy.
It's a great place for news that's news but that is nowhere near big enough for its own thread.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
MKX on its own, I get why it's slowed down. But all fighting games under one banner? I'm not sure that the argument for staying in gaming is that this thread needs a crutch to survive. Maybe I'm not understanding the argument being made here.

Well August really is a dead month for fighting games.. I agree that after SF5 releases there will be a drought of news for a while. I always felt FGW had a Twitter/active feel to it that attracted me more than SRK. FGC instead of FGW might kill that outside attraction..

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This thread as it stands is a Community thread. That's why it was moved. If you polled the other Gaming Community threads I'm certain a clear majority would love to go back to Gaming side. The signal-to-noise ratio won't allow for that, unfortunately.
With that said, couldn't you say the same for LTTP threads or character roster discussion threads? Those threads in general have less news than this thread has ever had.

I finally got around to this thread and saw how it was being used.
A few posters, typically the same ones, shitting up the thread shouldn't reflect on the thread as a whole. There is a reason Shouta gets pissed off at them cause this very exact reason.

That's fine. New threads for new news.

Well the problem with that is the FGC is that there are a lot of games inside it and that there is a crap ton of what could be considered New News. If you want us to follow this rule the gaming side is going to see a huge influx of related threads.

DOTA may be an outlier, but is Destiny? Hearthstone? Puzzles and Dragons? Driveclub?
You are listing SUPER popular games that have millions and millions of players. Fighting games as a whole are more like a bunch of small communities that form together and enjoy watching and sharing each other's passions for their games.

and in destiny's case that game is designed shitty and you have to use a forum to have any way to play with other people seriously. So the thread gets posted in more than it normally would be. Not to mention the player base is huge. It's literally a successful mmo that has no social features in game that requires an outside source.

The only difference in here than other community threads I pop into is the sparks about fighting games and news and other stuff pop up and people outside the more insular part of FGW pop up and it starts to look like a thread that belongs in gaming. The only problem is when that isn't happening it's us talking about Keiko or whatever new non-gaming related stream nonsesne is going on.

No one talked about Keiko. The only time she's referenced was for jokes on that user who just posted to advertise.

Even if we did, I don't see how a player stream is off topic.

kirblar

MKX on its own, I get why it's slowed down. But all fighting games under one banner? I'm not sure that the argument for staying in gaming is that this thread needs a crutch to survive. Maybe I'm not understanding the argument being made here.
It's not a community thread in the sense that it's a one-stop-shop to discuss a specific topic. Sales, cool streams popping up on a Friday night out of Asia - the thread's very in-the-moment in a way those others aren't. The Twitter feed comparison's a good way to think about it- this isn't really being treated as a clubhouse, it's just "What's going on today?"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well the problem with that is the FGC is that there are a lot of games inside it and that there is a crap ton of what could be considered New News. If you want us to follow this rule the gaming side is going to see a huge influx of related threads.

Just make new threads based on most important news and informations, and leave most of unimportant or minor articles, announcements, news and information here so we could have something to discuss about here.

Anne

I'm not gonna argue about survival, but I will argue that the exposure and merit of the competitive aspects, and things that come from that, should have a dedicated space on the gaming side. This was that space despite the thread also containing a lot of the elements commonly associated with community.

No one talked about Keiko. The only time she's referenced was for jokes on that user who just posted to advertise.

Even if we did, I don't see how a player stream is off topic.

I'm just saying the nature of having pages of running in jokes is a thing that screams community to me. This entire thread screams "holy shit put this in community" when you look at it, but it also has a lot of aspects that make it fit correctly into gaming I feel. If anything I'd rather we just have an IRC or somewhere to get into the bullshit from time to time and maybe leave the thread in gaming and have it be more focused.

How about if the next FGW completely collapses because people can't find it or whatever other reason, we can move back?

How do you pull data for post counts/distributions among users? I feel like if the people complaining about the lack of visibility and new posters are the same dozen people responsible for almost all the posts in every weekly, it makes for a pretty unconvincing argument. Even if we assume every poster with a single-digit post number in a FGW thread is someone who wouldn't have browsed it if it weren't in Gaming, how much of the thread does that actually encompass?

shaowebb

We in community now. I'm generally here anyhow for Marvel Puzzle Quest and the Musou thread

Welcome home Fighting Game Thread.

Just make new threads based on most important news and informations, and leave most of unimportant or minor articles, announcements, news and information here so we could have something to discuss about here.

There can be news and events that are *important* but not *popular* enough to float as a single thread within the gaming side. Having a fighting game thread there aggregates everything together.

How about if the next FGW completely collapses because people can't find it or whatever other reason, we can move back?

How do you pull data for post counts/distributions among users? I feel like if the people complaining about the lack of visibility and new posters are the same dozen people responsible for almost all the posts in every weekly, it makes for a pretty unconvincing argument. Even if we assume every poster with a single-digit post number in a FGW thread is someone who wouldn't have browsed it if it weren't in Gaming, how much of the thread does that actually encompass?
There's numbers for posts/views next to the thread when you click on it.

As mentioned before, the wrestling thread deals with weekly events just fine without making a thread, and significant events (or jokey threads sometimes) will get their own threads and live or die on their own merits.

I don't get how that's any different than this situation.

I'm not gonna argue about survival, but I will argue that the exposure and merit of the competitive aspects, and things that come from that, should have a dedicated space on the gaming side. This was that space despite the thread also containing a lot of the elements commonly associated with community.

I'm just saying the nature of having pages of running in jokes is a thing that screams community to me. This entire thread screams "holy shit put this in community" when you look at it, but it also has a lot of aspects that make it fit correctly into gaming I feel. If anything I'd rather we just have an IRC or somewhere to get into the bullshit from time to time and maybe leave the thread in gaming and have it be more focused.

there already is an irc that nobody really uses, but that's fgw illuminati status. Plus using irc is kinda of a hassle

shaowebb

there already is an irc that nobody really uses, but that's fgw illuminati status

When I was over on Test Your Might modding during the Injustice era I kept posting how I felt Bane wasn't as bad as people thought and if folks who didn't spend time with him kept saying he was bad he'd eventually be over buffed.

One day I got invited to a private conversation on the board for the Bane Council. We were most definitely illuminati status lol. I took over the Bane boards as mod and we'd hash out tech in there in private then post it out on the boards once it'd been verified. Wanna know what it was like in there?

10% actual fighting game talk
70% fucking around
20% salt

Secret clubs aren't really super productive most times because where its always the same voices and faces eventually you all just hang out. No new input or perspective turned it more into a chat party than a Topic thread.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
With that said, couldn't you say the same for LTTP threads or character roster discussion threads? Those threads in general have less news than this thread has ever had.
Sure. But let's focus on the issue at hand, which is this thread.

A few posters, typically the same ones, shitting up the thread shouldn't reflect on the thread as a whole. There is a reason Shouta gets pissed off at them cause this very exact reason.
That was just one example out of four. Dipshit behaviour in and of itself isn't enough to justify a move between subforums.

How on earth is this is a bad thing? We had a new thread for Vega's introduction, it got a lot of traffic and then fell off the front page. We had a new thread for Ken's introduction, it got a lot of traffic and then fell off the front page. We had a new thread for Necalli's introduction, it got a lot of traffic and fell off the front page. It's not a clutter issue.

You are listing SUPER popular games that have millions and millions of players. Fighting games as a whole are more like a bunch of small communities that form together and enjoy watching and sharing each other's passions for their games.
OK. That still doesn't change the fact that this thread is being treated like a Community thread by the very denizens it purports to serve. Even since the move people in this thread have admitted that.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like one, what is the problem with treating it like one? Especially when it's not the kiss of death you're assuming it to be? I like DriveClub a lot, but you're not going to tell me that it's a busier/more vibrant community than an umbrella thread for all fighting games.

When I was over on Test Your Might modding during the Injustice era I kept posting how I felt Bane wasn't as bad as people thought and if folks who didn't spend time with him kept saying he was bad he'd eventually be over buffed.

One day I got invited to a private conversation on the board for the Bane Council. We were most definitely illuminati status lol. I took over the Bane boards as mod and we'd hash out tech in there in private then post it out on the boards once it'd been verified. Wanna know what it was like in there?

10% actual fighting game talk
70% fucking around
20% salt

Secret clubs aren't really super productive most times because where its always the same voices and faces eventually you all just hang out. No new input or perspective turned it more into a chat party than a Topic thread.

honestly to me, its more of hey you gotta pay attention to two different things for the same thing, one which is harder than the other to keep track of than the other

On the topic of Community vs Gaming, I'm like 60% gaming - 40% community so I'd like to let it rock and see what happens

Anne

I'm just saying the community aspect of this thread is what it is and I don't see us going back to gaming looking like we do now. That sucks cause we lose the important job this thread does in the main forum. I'd rather we figure out a way to dilute that nonsense out and try to exist in gaming, as fun as that nonsense gets.

A lot of arguments are about "our exposure" and "living or dying" rather than about what content is in the thread and why that content should be on gaming side. I feel like the former way of arguing is really poor and is just digging the hole deeper, a lot of threads would like to have that nice stream of posters coming in from the more active side.

kirblar

It's an Umbrella thread that resets every week, discusses current events in real time, and then dies and and is replaced by a new one for the new streams/news/etc.

The Madcatz Twitch Team thing (featuring Keiko, btw) being formed- that's news right? But you would never start a new thread about it over on gaming side because it's not big enough or important enough to warrant it. Hence, the FGW thread.

Back when WNF/NLBC were both running back to back, you'd see discussions/chat on both every Wednesday. It being on Gaming side lets someone pop in and see if anything's going on.
See, now this is the pissy attitude I'm referring to. Other titles/communities can somehow make do over here. The fighting games genre - one that I love, btw - doesn't merit special treatment.
Is there a RPG community thread?
One for FPSes?
One for MOBAs?

There's not. This genre isn't like the others- it's a patchwork of small communities lumped together. This makes it very different because many of the news is either affecting multiple games at once (tournament stuff, for instance) or is too neglibile to get its own thread. There's no Umbrella thread for those other games because they're all large enough to support their own and there's no real connective tissue between them.

Shouta

My arguments are:

• It serves a unique function on the forum in gaming by
    • A) Providing exposure to regular forum-goers to the competitive fighting game community
    • B) Providing an outlet for discussion about competitive fighting games and its news
    • C) Providing a thread for minor information related to fighting games like loc tests in Japan for a new release, etc
    • D) Doesn't clutter up the forum by filling it with threads about stuff that shouldn't or wouldn't get threads but is still FG related.
  • A move to community is very likely not going to result in growth in for this thread because of how most FG threads end up. There really isn't an avenue of growth without a regular presence in gaming, IMO. That's gonna require us to make more threads about competitive FGs or invade other threads and pimp this thread out, that's a lot more noise to other threads that have specific topics.

Let me put it this way, we've been in gaming for a long time but our regular posters have waxed and waned, never reaching the levels of GB or SBF, DOTA at all despite being in gaming the entire time. There's no way this thread gets to the size of those in community, IMO.

How on earth is this is a bad thing? We had a new thread for Vega's introduction, it got a lot of traffic and then fell off the front page. We had a new thread for Ken's introduction, it got a lot of traffic and then fell off the front page. We had a new thread for Necalli's introduction, it got a lot of traffic and fell off the front page. It's not a clutter issue.

The FGC isn't just street fighter, it's like 10+ games and if we decided to make threads for things related to those games, it would get out of hand pretty quickly. I could probably make 2 dozen or more threads with new information for each of the games and the FG Community that has come out in the last week or two, at least if we decided to post all of that in their own thread. lol Even folding it in to game specific threads, it's a ton of stuff for gaming.

Anne

The FGC isn't just street fighter, it's like 10+ games and if we decided to make threads for things related to those games, it would get out of hand pretty quickly. I could probably make 2 dozen or more threads with new information for each of the games and the FG Community that has come out in the last week or two, at least if we decided to post all of that in their own thread. lol

This x1000

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
This was always a community thread. It being in gaming was just a privilege and oversight. OG SF threads (which were pretty much FGW of it's day) in community thrived. Posters will continue to post, lurkers will continue to lurk. Nothing is loss. Any major news could have it's own thread in gaming. A lot of FG related threads seems to have been created by people who don't or rarely even post in FGW.

That being said I prefer being in gaming but it's no big deal.

See, now this is the pissy attitude I'm referring to. Other titles/communities can somehow make do over here. The fighting games genre - one that I love, btw - doesn't merit special treatment.
Maybe I am just imagining but it seems like there is a certain insecurity around the social status and popularity of fighting games. Might prompt a more negative reaction than necessary from someone.

Well that and some people just don't like change in general.

The Madcatz Twitch Team thing (featuring Keiko, btw) being formed- that's news right? But you would never start a new thread about it over on gaming side because it's not big enough or important enough to warrant it. Hence, the FGW thread.
Why wouldn't you start a new thread? Lots of pointless threads get made in either forum. The difference is that the thread might not go anywhere, but that's the difference.

Edit: You all can also ignore all of my opinions, I have no stake in this.

shaowebb

honestly to me, its more of hey you gotta pay attention to two different things for the same thing, one which is harder than the other to keep track of than the other

On the topic of Community vs Gaming, I'm like 60% gaming - 40% community so I'd like to let it rock and see what happens

Same. I'm not really against it, but there are a few key thoughts pop up when I think of this move.

• I am uncertain if people idly browse community like they do the front page of gaming. This leaves us with the issue that weekly events that were advertised on the front page of the FGW threads would be missed by folks regularly.
  • If folks go to Community for one giant catch all thread on fighting games but Community ends up getting less traffic we might need to consider one thread with an updating list of homepage info rather than making new threads each week. We may need one thread title that straight up says we update the front page each week so folks regularly see a message about "streamed event times updated weekly!" if we go this route.

Generally, I just keep thinking that if moving to community actually does mean less views and traffic then we'd give off an impression of interest waning by having new but very small threads each week.

We could do like Wrassle-gaf and do a Fighting Games Monthly thread, and update the home page with times each week and do like a little blurb breaking down news that happened the previous month in the opening of each new monthly thread. Catches folks up, keeps them up to date on stream times and majors for the whole month and it just sorta worked for wrassle-gaf. This way the overall viewcount and posts stays high, information isn't not being posted on times and events (actually gives folks a longer heads up than a week for some events) and we never come across as some ancient old dead community by having one super old thread we keep bumping nor come across as a small group of dudes who just make threads weekly.

It'd be good timing to try it if nothing else...next week is a new month.

kirblar

If the small news posts start getting their own posts on Gaming side, they're just going to die off quickly and be drowned repeatedly.

Look at the Revelator Survey thread. 3 pages.

SF char reveals gets massive page views because it's SF. But when a CPT ranking event is taking place in Asia and pops up on the radar - someone might create a thread for it, but it's likely to get washed away as well.

Why wouldn't you start a new thread? Lots of pointless threads get made in either forum. The difference is that the thread might not go anywhere, but that's the difference.
That's the thing, they won't. Small events/marginal news- its not going to go anywhere by itself on Gaming. This thread exists to aggregate that stuff.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The FGC isn't just street fighter, it's like 10+ games and if we decided to make threads for things related to those games, it would get out of hand pretty quickly. I could probably make 2 dozen or more threads with new information for each of the games and the FG Community that has come out in the last week or two, at least if we decided to post all of that in their own thread. lol Even folding it in to game specific threads, it's a ton of stuff for gaming.

If it's not huge deal then it should be post right here in this thread. If it's huge deal like popular/famous Arcade being shut down, then of course we should make a new thread on that.

If it's just small tournaments, streams or anything small then it should be post in this thread. In the past, we always have new threads based on major tournament scenes so I don't really see that changed anytime soon since people would make new threads based on Apex, SmashFest, EVO, etc.

I don't see why people would try to "blackmail" someone by claiming that they would change their habits and making more threads in gaming forum because we just got moved to community thread.

I know, my usage of term, "blackmail" probably is wrong but I couldn't think of proper word to put it in. Right now I felt that people here are trying to imply, "Please move us back to gaming forum or we would make a lot of FGC-related threads in main gaming to overcrowd the front page."

MechaX

This is key here.

Over in the gaming side, there was a value in having an aggregate thread compile all the little nuggets of info that come out in various fighting games (and unlike other games or genres with very big reviews, a lot of shit trickles in the FGC).

That's why you get situations like where GG Revelator news gets more buzz in FGW than actual news topics.

kirblar

If it's not huge deal then it should be post right here in this thread. If it's huge deal like popular/famous Arcade being shut down, then of course we should make a new thread on that.

If it's just small tournaments, streams or anything small then it should be post in this thread. In the past, we always have new threads based on major tournament scenes so I don't really see that changed anytime soon since people would make new threads based on Apex, SmashFest, EVO, etc.

I don't see why people would try to "blackmail" someone by claiming that they would change their habits and making more threads in gaming forum because we just got moved to community thread.

I know, my usage of term, "blackmail" probably is wrong but I couldn't think of proper word to put it in. Right now I felt that people here are trying to imply, "Please move us back to gaming forum or we would make a lot of FGC-related threads in main gaming to overcrowd the front page."
That's what is being requested though- to put all these small news updates out on the main forum instead of aggregating them in one place. (Think the WrassleGAF threads that come out onto the main OT board.)

But there's nowhere near the interest in the individual games/scenes to keep these threads alive once they're posted.

Anne

I don't think anybody is saying "move us back or we'rte gonna post a bunch of shit and clutter", I think people are saying it's a real possibility of threads like that create clutter, get messy, or start getting insanely redundant.

Like I post a lot of info and things regarding just meta about games that multiple people see and should be in the gaming side. I'm not going to make threads for them, posting them in designated OTs is really worthless for the smaller games (some of which don't have OTs), and other interest exists for that content outside of the main diehards of the game. FGW was the spot to do that on gaming, without it being there I'll just stuff it here and I feel like it's better served existing over there.

I don't think generating more threads is a bad thing itself, but I do think stuff like that is basically why FGW existed in the gaming side and I'd like to have that still exist there.

Personally I don't see a problem with threads dying out if there is not enough interest for them to remain active. This thread will still be around so you can always get some kind of discussion, probably.

Again personally I don't see why there is a need for GAF to be the tip of the spear promoting the FGC. To me the purpose of this thread is for any gaf poster to talk about any fighting game the choose. Exposure is an issue but that be addressed in some other way like by simply mentioning that the thread exists.

Not to mention it seems like plenty of people are willing to talk about fighting games in threads specific to those games without posting in this one. Generating more threads in gaming might not be a bad thing.

shaowebb

oh we moved to Gaming Community. I thought it would of been Off-Topic Community.

Hke3xog.gif

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If the small news posts start getting their own posts on Gaming side, they're just going to die off quickly and be drowned repeatedly.

Look at the Revelator Survey thread. 3 pages.

SF char reveals gets massive page views because it's SF. But when a CPT ranking event is taking place in Asia and pops up on the radar - someone might create a thread for it, but it's likely to get washed away as well.

That's the thing, they won't. Small events/marginal news- its not going to go anywhere by itself on Gaming. This thread exists to aggregate that stuff.

That's what is being requested though- to put all these small news updates out on the main forum instead of aggregating them in one place. (Think the WrassleGAF threads that come out onto the main OT board.)

But there's nowhere near the interest in the individual games/scenes to keep these threads alive once they're posted.

It wouldn't stop us from discussing about those subjects here. Why would our moves to Community Thread would suddenly change our subjects to be discussed here? I'm saying that those small news would be more likely to be discuss here, like WWE's small news were discussed in their own threads (I haven't lurked for long time tho) Only time I saw WWE-related threads is something HUGE like Rowdy Roddy Piper's death.

I don't think anybody is syaing "move us back or we'rte gonna post a bunch of shit and clutter", I think people are saying it's a real possibility of threads like that create clutter, get messy, or start getting insanely redundant.

Well, that's the vibe I'm getting from some people because they are upset about the moving. I totally understand that. Only thing that I don't understand is why people would leaving our community because we are in completely different forum. Is it really because they believe in a myth that the thread were send to graveyard.

Only threads would die if people lose their interests in the games. The games actually got old for some people so that's why most of threads slowly died.

FG Weekly was nice for discussing weekly news, deeper topics and all that. A lot of really cool posts/thoughts and information has come out of FG Weekly over the years. I liked how it was updated with weekly events, streams and things concerning various games and the interviews of posters that went up with every new thread.

I don't think things like character roster reveal threads where people shit on each other for 20 pages as a suitable replacement in the General Gaming space to be a good thing.

I see this as change for the sake of change because the only reason given so far for moving to community is that it should just be in community and shouldn't be given special treatment. This throws a wrench in how FG Weekly has functioned for a long time with no conceivable benefit. I don't know the exact creation date for the first thread but that doesn't really make sense if the thread series has been around for around 1825 days or so.

I'm pretty sure if it truly did belong in community this is something that would have been done years ago since I doubt that absolutely no mods looked at any of the threads that routinely pop up on the first page for that amount of time. Actually I've seen some mods in here before and those visits were not followed by an immediate move to community which makes me think others share the same view that FG Weekly is fine as it is.

I mean the fact that this happened so suddenly makes me think the decision is already set in stone. Ultimately good things must come to an end at some point, and if this results in FG Weekly heading to the graveyard (as in low to no participation) then I guess there's nothing that can be done about it.

remist

Assuming posters don't give up posting individual threads that might be of interest to the gaming side, you are just going to end up with a bunch of small threads quickly bumped into obscurity and a bigger thread on the most prominent weekly tournament taking the place of this thread.

Moving FGW to community loses exposure of new weekly events and information posted in the OP to gaming side posters who might be interested, because they arent going to survive as individual threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom