• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 22-28 | Game of Throws - A Song of Salt and Fire(balls)

Sounds like you are way too attached to Magus. There was a lot more to chrono cross than stuff with magus
It's more about the disrespect being shown between titles to what was there in the first place. And this wasn't a crack at Chrono Cross, it was a crack at the Chrono Trigger DS version changing what's going on because the douche in charge felt like it. I know I go off on Chrono Cross a lot, but I'm really trying to stay away from that and focus on the particular problem I have with CT DS.

Zakk bennet dropped Dormmamu??

:(
Ages ago. He's redundant.

Dahbomb

I don't understand why people get banned. What are people saying that is so terrible to get banned?
I got banned for posting scans of the UMVC3 character alts.

I knew magazine scans were banned but I didn't know scans from strategy guides were banned. So lesson learned.

Zakk bennet dropped Dormmamu??

:(
A better change IMO. Dorm doesn't get much from Ammy where as Doom does. Plus Firebrand has raw tag combos with Doom. Also FB has a full screen beam at his disposal for the neutral. If the team was Firebrand + Dorm with another character that provided a solid neutral assist then yea that would've been nice but he wanted to keep FB plus Cold Shots for dirty mix ups and give better support to FB who also benefited from Ammy.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Who here hasn't been banned yet on GAF?

New members don't count.
I haven't

It's more about the disrespect being shown between titles to what was there in the first place. And this wasn't a crack at Chrono Cross, it was a crack at the Chrono Trigger DS version changing what's going on because the douche in charge felt like it. I know I go off on Chrono Cross a lot, but I'm really trying to stay away from that and focus on the particular problem I have with CT DS.

Even still, you can avoid all that stuff in the DS version if you want to

Only one makoto? Goro is going to own that tournament

Goro is goddamned amazing and has been for some time. I keep hearing Mak is low-mid tier in BBCP and it makes me wonder if he is so good it doesn't matter, or people just haven't paid enough attention to what Mak is capable of. Isn't he like top 10 ranked in Japan?

The two players I'm watching for this upcoming tournament are him and RYO. I love me some snappy/grimy Relius play, and recently this match between him and this Jin player was nuts.

;_; at no Izayoi rep though. 3/4 of BBCP Arcade's new cast not getting repped is a travesty, lol.

And on the topic of RYO's Relius, here's some Relius BBCP combos. Relius is a gentleman, and lets you #callKotaku first.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Goro is goddamned amazing and has been for some time. I keep hearing Mak is low-mid tier in BBCP and it makes me wonder if he is so good it doesn't matter, or people just haven't paid enough attention to what Mak is capable of. Isn't he like top 10 ranked in Japan?

The two players I'm watching for this upcoming tournament are him and RYO. I love me some snappy/grimy Relius play, and recently this match between him and this Jin player was nuts.

;_; at no Izayoi rep though. 3/4 of BBCP Arcade's new cast not getting repped is a travesty, lol.

And on the topic of RYO's Relius, Here's some Relius BBCP combos. Relius is a gentleman, and lets you #callKotaku first.
Mak is a beast, anyone that thinks she's bottom is wrong. She's the CS1 Taokaka of BBCP

If I have to avoid content in one of the versions because it degrades the experience, I take that to be a good argument that it is not the superior version!
One could argue that chrono trigger is designed around not doing everything to see everything though :p

Dahbomb

A lot of people got banned during Cross Assault and then even more got banned during the UMVC3 costume alt reveals.

I think God's Beard has been banned the most.

I think you posted guide scans before it's official release
Nah I would've been banned even after it's official release. On SRK people almost got banned for posting frame data for characters on the character forums. I know there was a huge thing on the Vergil character forums because his frame data required knowledge when it came to coming up with block string as everything he had either was unsafe or there was a gap where characters could attack.

Azure J

If I can survive the Cross Assault thread I can survive anything!

I just realized, I survived this, one of the more memorable Duckroll'd threads, Epic Mickey-gate, The Carnival of Stupid, E3 2008, and Dragon Quest IX for DS. There's probably more, but damn, those were bloody times.

There was once a time at GAF where magazine scans were allowed but certain types of publications were banned.
I don't see why they aren't allowed so long as we're linking to another website that posted them. It's not like I miss out on those scans, I just go to GFAQs or something to see them. I understand the desire to be friendly to publishers and not discourage subscriptions, but I'm not getting a Famitsu subscription any time soon, and it seems like print is largely dying regardless of GAF's friendly policies.

Just my two cents, I know it won't change, and I'm fine with the current rule.

One could argue that chrono trigger is designed around not doing everything to see everything though :p
Yet that would not negate the argument that Chrono Trigger SNES does not discourage you from experiencing content because it is bad, either. :p Part of CT's legacy is the continual perfection in content. Everything is done right. The DS version mars that legacy.

Horseress

I just realized, I survived this, one of the more memorable Duckroll'd threads, Epic Mickey-gate, The Carnival of Stupid, E3 2008, and Dragon Quest IX for DS. There's probably more, but damn, those were bloody times.

The Adam Oarth thread was an epic one too, the most recent, and I've survived!

Dahbomb

Oh that's right, Famitsu used to be completely allowed as were pretty much all non-US based publications. I remember making threads about DMC4 Famitsu scans on GAF and never got into trouble for it.

Yeah I have survived numerous epic threads. FFXIII betrayalton, DMC4 betrayalton, Adam Orth, Cross Assault, DQ9, Bayonetta 2 on Wii etc..

I think 1 ban for 7 years is not too shabby.

Dahbomb

Honestly everyone on this list should've been banned for propagating such a massive lie/troll on GAF:

teamcg9tyiy.png

I know for a fact that many people on here volunteered for 1 month ban if they lost.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yet that would not negate the argument that Chrono Trigger SNES does not discourage you from experiencing content because it is bad, either. :p Part of CT's legacy is the continual perfection in content. Everything is done right. The DS version mars that legacy.

idk someone I know who never played either game did everything in the DS version and loved the fuck out of it. Like I said, sounds like you are letting chrono cross hate screw with how good the game is.

I'm glad I'm on that list :lol That whole thing was so fucking funny

Azure J

The Adam Oarth thread was an epic one too, the most recent, and I've survived!

This one was the fucking BEST we've had in years. I remember going to sleep the night of and it was at 24 pages (100ppp) then waking up the next morning at like 7AM browsing it on my commute to Manhattan and it was like 74 pages. I was astounded.

Dah reminds me that Bayo2 was another frontline event I was there for.

I survived Cross Gate and the PS3 Hack Threads. The party we all had in PS Home was fun, and then we never used Home again. :lol

OH. Anybody remember Gunblade from Cross Gate? Man that time was a blast.
idk someone I know who never played either game did everything in the DS version and loved the fuck out of it. Like I said, sounds like you are letting chrono cross hate screw with how good the game is.

Yeah I've got no love for Cross either, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying CTDS.

I don't see why they aren't allowed so long as we're linking to another website that posted them. It's not like I miss out on those scans, I just go to GFAQs or something to see them. I understand the desire to be friendly to publishers and not discourage subscriptions, but I'm not getting a Famitsu subscription any time soon, and it seems like print is largely dying regardless of GAF's friendly policies.

Just my two cents, I know it won't change, and I'm fine with the current rule.
There's a couple of reasons why the current rule was put in place:
1. There are people who view the forums who live in Japan and have easy access to physical copies of the magazines.
2. It was hypocritical to ban magazine scans from some regions but not others.
3. Back then NeoGAF was basically "that place where you could get magazine scans". Not exactly the best image to put forth.

This one was the fucking BEST we've had in years. I remember going to sleep the night of and it was at 24 pages (100ppp) then waking up the next morning at like 7AM browsing it on my commute to Manhattan and it was like 74 pages. I was astounded.
Ah, so you're the guy who looked like he was just sprayed with Joker's laughing gas.

Horseress

Dah reminds me that Bayo2 was another frontline event I was there for.

The Playstation Meeting announcement thread was like that too, and the .gifs man...so many epic gifs...the Kaz-ification of the internet...too damn good, never forget

Nyoro SF

I posted a lot in the Cross Assault thread and avoided the banhammer. That was one heck of a thread now that I recall it... lol

They're connected, but the history of one particular event went like this:
1) SE decides to make CC.
2) SE wants to put Magus in the game and show his backstory.
3) SE decides this is too hard because they're too busy adding 50 other fluff characters for no reason.
4) SE changes Magus to Guile, decides he has no relation to Magus.
5) SE releases CC.
6) SE ports CT on the DS with new content.
7) SE adds a new ending that strongly suggests Guile is Magus.

WHY SE WHY? They don't look, act, or fight anything alike aside from being "magicians". I accept that CC exists, but that pisses me off.

you're missing the radical dreamers game though:

http://chrono.wikia.com/wiki/Magus

Magus appears in Radical Dreamers as Gil, a shadowy and handsome member of the Radical Dreamers thieving group. He is depicted as masked and mysterious, though gentle and cultured.[1] He has the ability to slip in and out of the shadows of the night at will.[2] Magus as Gil was also slated to appear in Chrono Cross. However, as development of the game progressed, designers decided it would be too difficult to integrate his complex story into the plot.[3] His character, renamed Guile (Alf in the Japanese version, possibly in reference to Magus' former pet cat Alfador), was thus altered to remove his Magus identity and was left in with no back-story, existing merely as a competent magician seeking enigma in the islands of El Nido. Missing Piece includes a number of discarded character designs for Guile, including one which is more-or-less analogous to Magus' appearance in Chrono Trigger (cloak, pointed ears, etc.), as well as one in which he appears as a teenage boy. As it stands, Magus is only mentioned in a letter to Kid from Lucca, in which she assures Kid not to worry as "Janus" is probably watching over her.[4] Gil appears in Chrono Cross only in an easter egg designating the events of Radical Dreamers as having taken place in an alternate dimension. In the English version of this easter egg, Gil is referred to as "Magil".

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
:lol God damn. I'll try to remember you said that in a few years. :p

Everyone was saying Taokaka wasn't that good in CS1, Prototype and I were both saying she was super fucking good.

Taokaka wins SBO lol

Actually something simular happened with GGslash and ky I saw the change list and as a Ky main straight up said Ky is far and away the best character now and has no downsides at all.

Slash comes out gets more play bam Best character more fucked up than Reload eddie *and a million times easier to use*

Top Bottom