• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You mean the charge partitioning stuff? Don't think so, it's how the engine works with her and I never saw it in a match.

The day someone learns how to play with a 3rd appendage is the day they become UNIEL champion of the world. *on console*

Edit: Also BBCF is launching with freaking 31 characters... with most likely 3 more on console release. A 34 character game as technical and with characters as unique BB is... holy fuck LOL

Dahbomb

Edit: on the topic of players who enjoy high execution characters, is there a way to reward that style of play in ways other than MAXDAMAGE combos?
UMVC3 Morrigan's entire neutral game is high execution. It's not just high execution but you also have at times adjust execution on the fly to match the other player's actions (ie. when they cross under you or teleport against you).

UMVC3 Viper has always been S+ tier in theory land but is held back by high execution requirement all around. She can lock down the ground with Seismos and Beams thanks to her jump cancels but doing Rapid Seismos is tough. She can convert Seismo hits into a full combo with great execution. She has good mobility options with high execution along with some crazy mix ups as well. She has some potent defensive options with high execution thanks to her focus attack options. Pressure as well. The funny part is that most of her BnB combos aren't even that hard... it's really the neutral and defensive/pressure options plus how to use them properly is hard with the character. Messing up an execution with her gets her punished hard because of mediocre normals (ie. you get something you don't want and you get Dive Kicked for your troubles or air thrown).

Of course playing Melee in general because of the movement execution. Same for the Marvel games as well especially nowadays with plink dashing being so common. It creates a huge gap between players when it comes to movement. Someone who is properly using plink dashing with Dr Doom looks way different than someone using standard dashing methods with him.

Execution can help you with a lot of option selects as well. Some option selects aren't as easy to do as others and many require a lot of inputs at once which requires execution of course. So characters with many complex option selects are generally going to be execution heavy as well.

And finally you can have specific high execution "just frame" moves like EWGF from Tekken which are very timing sensitive powerful moves.

NEO0MJ

wait...what day is it again? Ah hell...
xIm67cG.jpg

Little late and pretty mentally fatigued here. Had a lot of overtime for goin on 9 days straight with no days off yet so this week just keepin it light and fluffy till I can get a technical question for you.

After putting some thought into it I think my choice would be Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and it would play like TvC. The show had a lot of unique mechas of varying sizes and abilities, so avoiding the standard P/K setup makes sense. A lot of times they fight in teams of at least two, and a spiral energy power up can be like baroque.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm reminded that I think it was Makoto that had to do air DP to avoid SMP stuff? I don't get why ASW have characters with odd TK inputs where the traditional input won't work lol

Ground DP and Air DP count as two different moves.

Funny enough I never TK'd it. I just pressed up and input the DP at the speed of light xD

All this nonsense about charge characters and that rising thunder blow up has made me realize that archaic inputs are not the main problem with fighting game accessibility despite them being the main complaint. Some people just don't have the right disposition for the basic requirements of playing a fighting game.

Of course it's always people but you can't say that because waaah ELITIST

Rhapsody

Banned
Ground DP and Air DP count as two different moves.

Funny enough I never TK'd it. I just pressed up and input the DP at the speed of light xD

lol I just remember my friend mentioning it being weird. Axl Bomber was another weird one.

Also lol, playing UNIEL, and Nanase and Eltnum gave me such bad habits right now. I keep thinking I can delay my normals and then I get 2A'ed mash and die. I didn't have this issue as Seth since his blockstrings are short with normals.

Was working on Orie so I got blown up hard for it. Trying Hyde now in training mode.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Seth is good in the new Under Night right? He's by far my favorite character in the game but fuck he takes so much effort with no reward. I was like... I'm gonna get carpal playing this guy.

The day someone learns how to play with a 3rd appendage is the day they become UNIEL champion of the world. *on console*

Edit: Also BBCF is launching with freaking 31 characters... with most likely 3 more on console release. A 34 character game as technical and with characters as unique BB is... holy fuck LOL
It only took them 7 releases to get there.

Still waiting on my Nine gameplay.

Negaduck

Seth is good in the new Under Night right? He's by far my favorite character in the game but fuck he takes so much effort with no reward. I was like... I'm gonna get carpal playing this guy.

Went to caliburst this weekend and saw some great Seth play. Some of the latest videos I've seen from a-cho (I think, or jourdal maybe?) Have Seth players doing work.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It only took them 7 releases to get there.

Still waiting on my Nine gameplay.

Well they had to make characters from scratch and in general no clone characters are allowed so they have to make each character unique as possible with their drive :p

34 original characters in about 7/8 years isnt that bad :p

Edit: It took GG 10 years to reach 25 characters :)

Anne

Seth is actually ridiculous if he gets going in the current UNiEL, he just has trouble being stable and has no health. All he needs is health and a couple answers to things, which he got :v

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Seth is actually ridiculous if he gets going in the current UNiEL, he just has trouble being stable and has no health. All he needs is health and a couple answers to things, which he got :v

Bye bye carmine and welcome back home seth and yeah he could still run a train and had good damage. It's just that yeah... them input requirements with the effort you had to put in to get started.

Yo I still can't wait for jubei.
If he is in it will be on console. But I really dont know how they can do him :l

http://fvcup2015.challonge.com/

FV Cup (Malaysia major) pools are up. 70 entries, top 16 bracket created by putting the first rank of each pool in the bracket, just a placeholder I guess.

I'm excited for this weeked because of the potential it can cause to the top 32 standings. It's been really tough to get points in Asia because of the gatekeeping done by players already in the top 10. In general I want players to get pushed so we get the best possible top 32 regardless of region. So far Snake, Dieminion,and Smug haven't been able to go to US ranking events which let in players like Ricki get a lot of points. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a fan of Ricki, she just hasn't been great this year. Can't blame her though as it's not her fault others aren't traveling.

Bye bye carmine and welcome back home seth and yeah he could still run a train and had good damage. It's just that yeah... them input requirements with the effort you had to put in to get started.

If he is in it will be on console. But I really dont know how they can do him :l
I always imagined him as mini-Baiken.

Well they had to make characters from scratch and in general no clone characters are allowed so they have to make each character unique as possible with their drive :p

34 original characters in about 7/8 years isnt that bad :p

Edit: It took GG 10 years to reach 25 characters :)
A considerable portion of the cast is just remixed GG characters, yes?

Rhapsody

Banned

Yeah, like Anne said, I think Seth got way better as the game went on. A lot of negativity on Seth was the same as Hyde where they thought the changes crippled them. Everyone assumed crossup protection ruined Seth, but he basically has ways around it.

Seth was confusing to use at first, but the grind shouldn't be that hard. He's no Yuzu or anything.

I always imagined him as mini-Baiken.

I wouldn't really they they play similarly to any GG character (even under the definition of remix). Ragna and Jin might have some moves that are throwbacks, but they pretty much function like shoto stuff.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Nope, not even close. It's just easy to refrence them that way. They play vastly different. Like people like to say Jin is like Ky. And they are almost nothing alike at all.

Ragna and Sol are super different as well. Funny enough though they made Sol more like ragna with his Xrd combos.

NEO0MJ

Seth was confusing to use at first, but the grind shouldn't be that hard. He's no Yuzu or anything.

I feel like Seth is too much for me. Moving around and attacking with him is so confusing. I feel his combos are too strict for me as well.

Rhapsody

Banned
I guess I'm lucky Seth feels natural for me at this point. He's probably one of the harder characters to learn (especially when you do j6C on the really scaled stuff that Rion tries), but again, not so bad. Learning to hold yourself back on certain matchups is hard though. You mostly want to do swag on not let people play lol

The hardest thing to learn at the start is to wire your brain on B and C followups on when you want to cross up or not.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I guess I'm lucky Seth feels natural for me at this point. He's probably one of the harder characters to learn (especially when you do j6C on the really scaled stuff that Rion tries), but again, not so bad. Learning to hold yourself back on certain matchups is hard though. You mostly want to do swag on not let people play lol

The hardest thing to learn at the start is to wire your brain on B and C followups on when you want to cross up or not.

I was starting to have him down when I was playing him. But like I said xD Them input requirements plus wasnt playing the game full time made him daunting :p So I was just like fuck it CARMINE TIME

Question:

Why (do you think) are 3D fighting games always less popular than 2D ones ?

They have the potential to be popular. Korea is still doing television shows based on tekken. However, they aren't cultivating a new audience, unlike Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. The 3D fighting game franchises don't convince the general public that their sequels are actually new games. You see some of that with Street Fighter 5 ("This looks like SFIV"), but it isn't as large.

Like does this look like Zato?

Does this look like Millia?

Does this look like Anji?

Does this look like Faust?

It's just easier to reference them as that since people are more familiar with GG
No lie

I was pretty happy to see that Bang got Anji's GG palette, but somehow it never struck me that his burning hearts were like Anji's auto guard lmao. Somehow I just never made the connection between a fan waving nerd and a bombastic Ninja. I also can't forget his nails which sort of give him Anji-like horizontal air movement (aside from his double air dash).

Go figure

N4Us

wait...what day is it again? Ah hell...
xIm67cG.jpg

Little late and pretty mentally fatigued here. Had a lot of overtime for goin on 9 days straight with no days off yet so this week just keepin it light and fluffy till I can get a technical question for you.

Simpsons 3v3 game KOF/CVS styled. Huge reach but still.

Also I once got sick and had this weird flu dream where they made a sequel to Karnov's Revenge but somehow put Star Trek characters in it. No that doesn't make any sense but I still want it

vocab

Not true, blocking feels like a rhythm game in both for example :p

Combo pacing is similar too but longer in BB

One of the biggest differences in BB is that the stages are bigger
I hate defense in both games. Which is why i dont play them anymore. If i had to pick one, probably bb to avoid the mashfest, and better character variety.

They just feel different to me. Plus gg thought it would be cool to use the old tech system. Fuck that.

Rhapsody

Banned
Just checked the vega thread. You guys have been busy lol

Is machaboo really going Ky at this event?
Also machaboo vs ogawa would've been more interesting than Daigo facing him.

That's why Daigo has been practicing against Zatos like Taitsu. He was kind of laughing when he told everyone that he would be fighting Ogawa. Wonder why there isn't a MCZ next to Daigo's name.

Bonchan is also confirmed to be going to the Malaysian ranking event.

Top Bottom