• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 3-10 | Rising to the Occasion

What about after her combo ending specials? Unless I am missing something here, she gets a free activation after those and can heal for quite a bit. Like in this example.

And even if she heals for a little it's still significant (which has been my point, it's not about the values but the concept). Not the same as other characters wasting their ultras as Elena is building back the resource that builds Ultras (which is HP).

Something like that video would only work really well against Zangief as he has no answer to it. You can do it to most characters, but they'll be in your face very soon after.

The Zangief matchup is so fucking brutal. I feel horrible for him in that match.

Dahbomb

I like these discussions because it really allows us to get into the nitty gritty of these moves and mechanics plus the theoretical balancing behind them.

I wonder if any character in SFV will have a healing V-Trigger. Probably not because they are trying to push a more aggressive game especially with Combofiend giving the feedback.

Also that other guy's posts on charge mechanics are similar to the "only low IQ people use charge characters".

WarRock

Was it? Been a long while, but I definitely remember the game playing better, and the card breaking spam happening less.
DS has a bigger cast (including a bunch of crap like minions from the beat 'em up stages with low profile and two low damaging moves) and can be more fun because of that.

It plays worse though. One character has tripping (more frequent than Brawl!) and other has... coughing.

About shaowebb's question, man, there is a lot of licenses I would like to see. But just to avoid mentioning more comics and animes, I'll go with this.

Dahbomb

If we could convince folk to literally holding back whether charging or blocking is a good thing, there would be a lot more people better at fighting games.

charge characters are easy , you can attack while you attack.
People like to hold forward and jump in while mashing fireballs and DP.

Charge characters are the opposite of that.

Tripon

Lord knows I had to beat my head in that constantly throwing out unsafe moves leads to my ass getting punished.

Numb

If we could convince folk to literally holding back whether charging or blocking is a good thing, there would be a lot more people better at fighting games.

charge characters are easy , you can attack while you attack.

I find myself gravitating more towards Chargers than i would think or atleast guys with some charge moves. Knowing that you can special at anytime during a block string fail is awesome.

Wallach

Hitbox got here today. So nice. The only thing I am going to need to adjust to is the amount of wrist space. Was definitely designed with you meant to be playing wrists up. May see about converting my TE2 to this layout just to see how it is with more normal wrist room.

I'm so disappointed with this Hori FC4.....fuck. It's cost me so many matches, but the controller is so close to being fantastic. Ugh....I guess I stick with the PS4 controller.

Dahbomb

New patch for Rising Thunder released today. Some balance changes and some new moves (load out) added in. Other miscellaneous changes as well.

Tripon

Alex Valle with SCR Prelude II.

https://twitter.com/AlexValleSF4/status/628393616004747264
SCR Prelude: Round 2 is coming this August 29 featuring 9 games at the Anaheim Marriott!
CLiAkFcUwAAT1ax.png

Did you check the receipt to see if the codes were there?

『Inaba Resident』;174035715 said:
That's exactly what you have to do, iirc

The receipt would be listed under account history in the eShop right?

It reads for me "There is no recorded activity for this account"

I'm on Wii U not 3ds, looking at Nintendos help site it seems the eshops are quite different.

Shackzam

Anyone having login error problems? I can't seem to start it
Cross posting from rising thunder thread. When I start the game it just immediately goes to the login screen and just produces an error. Not sure what the problems is from looking on related forums.

Numb

New patch for Rising Thunder released today. Some balance changes and some new moves (load out) added in. Other miscellaneous changes as well.

Will check out the notes.
Hope they fixed that issue with the disconnects after the first match.

- Fixed one major disconnect issue. You should no longer see the "Waiting..." message after the first game in a match.
Nice.

Rainy

Banned
Thanks for everything Enzo, I actually had my first day of orientation for grad school today and I'm so fucking tired lol

petghost

Banned
All this nonsense about charge characters and that rising thunder blow up has made me realize that archaic inputs are not the main problem with fighting game accessibility despite them being the main complaint. Some people just don't have the right disposition for the basic requirements of playing a fighting game.

notworksafe

I've never understood how simplified inputs were supposed to make things better for new players. Fighting games are about strategy in the end. Good players are going to have that strategy and the simplified inputs will just make sure they don't drop combos.

Infinite

I've never understood how simplified inputs were supposed to make things better for new players. Fighting games are about strategy in the end. Good players are going to have that strategy and the simplified inputs will just make sure they don't drop combos.

That answers your question.

notworksafe

That answers your question.

Except once again we have a fighting game with simple inputs for new players and what do these new players focus on? Learning combos. That isn't going to help anyone.

The barrier to fighting games is all about mindset, not execution.

I feel like I put money in a vending machine and my food got stuck and I can't rock it till the morning.

-.-

Guess I'll play my PS4 now.

Except once again we have a fighting game with simple inputs for new players and what do these new players focus on? Learning combos. That isn't going to help anyone.

Execution is a pretty big deal. I've been playing fighting games for over 20 years and I still fuck up DP's way too often. In Marvel that means I fuck up a DP on the 50th hit of a combo and it could easily cost me the match. I get casual players wanting simpler execution requirements.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
All the regulars of these threads are good. It's the lurkers and drive by creeps you have to worry about.

Infinite

I'm not understanding your point. Are you saying we should go back to "hard inputs" because fighting games are about strategy and new players are still noobs with the easy ones? I don't think it matters like you just said. It's all about the mindset of the player and how they are approaching playing the game. Easy inputs are gonna make a difference however once that guy starts getting good because they fight the player more and the game less.

notworksafe

I guess what I'm trying to say is easy execution can help but it doesn't mean much if there isn't also an incentive for players to actually learn how to think correctly. Without that mindset, easy execution just means you can style well in training mode.

The problem is how do you build an incentive for playing in that mindset, other than being able to actually win?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I guess what I'm trying to say is easy execution can help but it doesn't mean much if there isn't also an incentive for players to actually learn how to think correctly. Without that mindset, easy execution just means you can style well in training mode.

The problem is how do you build an incentive for playing in that mindset, other than being able to actually win?

Story mode, or tutorial mode that have fun unlocks behind it that teach you how to play and handle different situations.

Gamers are lazy. Make the game easy enough to play and you'll attract more players. Some people will stick around long enough to learn the high level strategy shit. Now your pool of top level players is larger.

rookiejet

It makes it better for people who don't like mechanical execution, and would rather just get at the strategy part. It's not a panacea for broad casual appeal, it just makes things more immediately accessible and interesting. The strategy is difficult, but it's a more interesting exercise for a lot of people than rote practice of hand movements.

It is by creating less barriers for the new player to see the value of competitive play.

Tripon

neogaf shit posts
That account is dead. Anyway, I would send that to scrubquotes.

Anyway, as for execution vs. Mind set, I feel designers can help new players by making good A.I. and tutorials. If designers could teach new players how to play their game at a competent level vs. Mashing buttons, etc. Would go a long way.

As for combos, maybe companies should be being back the custom combo mechanic to let players freestyle.

Top Bottom