• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 1-7 | Guest characters are banned

Nyoro SF

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141785626]Not gonna happen. 3rd Strike killing off Street Fighter for a decade is why SF4 is the way it is. There's no real reason to not bring back people's favorite characters. It's a fighting game, not an RPG. Story doesn't matter, characters are just conduits for people to express themselves through a playstyle. If you cut Dhalsim, you either need another character just like him or you need to keep people who like playing him from playing your game. What's the point of either?

If you want to know who's in the game, I'd bet anyone here a hundred bucks that every single one of these characters makes the cut for the first release of the game:

8e22e7b2450d8108369b3r5c8e.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Times have changed, new exposure is real and it's much easier to convince people to invest in new characters and settings.

Most casuals judge on appearance and not playstyle, so this is Capcom's chance to completely change up the way old characters play. New special moves, new normals.

You can't create new experiences and new characters that people want without taking the risk of creating new things. Otherwise you'll stagnate like Tekken. I know they'll bring back old characters, but if it's a large majority of old characters x-copying their old playstyles I'll be pretty disappointed.

My biggest wishes for mechanic changes are one frame links having a buffer, no more plinking nonsense, reduce amount of OSs, redo the input system (no more getting random DPs for trying to throw out a cr.MK Fireball) and tone down/rework/remove Focus Attacks and Ultras.

This sums up my thoughts almost exactly. Execution will always be a necessary skill, but I felt one frame links to string a couple jabs and a short together was just too stringent a barrier of entry for most players. Ultras felt like too much of a momentum swing as well. Though I dig the elaborate attacks (always a fan of the original SNK desperation moves), it never felt good to lose or win off one massive hit.

Regarding the trailer, that Chun-Li aerial combo looked an awful lot like a Marvel style super jump combo. Anyone think they are adopting the extra tall playfields? Or was that just a one off fancy animation?

I really don't know what to expect in the character model area.

I don't know if I want them to go full realistic like Tekken or stay a bit more colorful like the SF4 look.

I just hope it don't look like KI.

Times have changed, new exposure is real and it's much easier to convince people to invest in new characters and settings.

Most casuals judge on appearance and not playstyle, so this is Capcom's chance to completely change up the way old characters play. New special moves, new normals.

You can't create new experiences and new characters that people want without taking the risk of creating new things. Otherwise you'll stagnate like Tekken. I know they'll bring back old characters, but if it's a large majority of old characters x-copying their old playstyles I'll be pretty disappointed.

Didn't everyone just use Chun and Ken in 3rd strike?

I have been staring at the gifs and pics. idk man, I was expecting more for some reason. New models and art style and animations.

I keep doing this to myself, like with Tekken 7. I am expecting to much.

So here are all the characters that received at least 2% of the vote in the official popularity poll:

• Ryu
  • Ken
  • Akuma
  • Chun-li
  • Cammy
  • Sakura
  • Karin
  • Juri
  • Sagat
  • Q
  • Guile
  • R. Mika
  • Ibuki
  • M. Bison
  • Cody
  • Zangief
  • Poison
  • Dudley
  • Vega

If you cut out Q because Capcom hates him and add 4-6 new characters, that's probably a reasonable expectation for a roster of 22-24 characters, give or take a few characters for playstyle archetype reasons.

How could people like Juri over Dhlasim? I thought she was DeeJay tier in popularity. I want the same cast + new challengers in an ever so slightly different fight mechanic. The challengers highlight what new mechanics are all about. Nothing too complex though. I still can't his 1 frame links.

Whelp, time for me to get ANOTHER stick.

Juri is insanely popular among casual fans. Insanely popular.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141789478]So here are all the characters that received at least 2% of the vote in the official popularity poll:

• Ryu
  • Ken
  • Akuma
  • Chun-li
  • Cammy
  • Sakura
  • Karin
  • Juri
  • Sagat
  • Q
  • Guile
  • R. Mika
  • Ibuki
  • M. Bison
  • Cody
  • Zangief
  • Poison
  • Dudley
  • Vega

If you cut out Q because Capcom hates him and add 4-6 new characters, that's probably a reasonable expectation for a roster of 22-24 characters.[/QUOTE]

That would be a pretty solid roster

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";141789478]So here are all the characters that received at least 2% of the vote in the official popularity poll:

• Ryu
  • Ken
  • Akuma
  • Chun-li
  • Cammy
  • Sakura
  • Karin
  • Juri
  • Sagat
  • Q
  • Guile
  • R. Mika
  • Ibuki
  • M. Bison
  • Cody
  • Zangief
  • Poison
  • Dudley
  • Vega

If you cut out Q because Capcom hates him and add 4-6 new characters, that's probably a reasonable expectation for a roster of 22-24 characters.

Juri is insanely popular among casual fans. Insanely popular.[/QUOTE]

Yea she is my friend who doesn't know jack shit about juri went as her for Halloween two years ago. Went topless too!
with paint covering up of course. I guess couldn't find or make juris top.

Horseress

the differences (or lake thereof) are comparable, but I certainly wouldn't say that 4->5 is "way more noticeable". i see your point but maintain that 4->5 is the most minute change, which is disappointing to me because previous numbered entries stirred the pot considerably.

I agree it's not OMFG HOW DIFFERENT THEY LOOK but it's rather noticeable.

Also there was A LOT room for improvement from SFIII to SFIV graphics-wise, but now there's not that much

And again, we got like 6 seconds of game footage so far, let's wait

FourMyle

It's early and all. And I love SF4. But I hope those character models get better, haha.

Did you ever see the very first screenshots of SF4 that capcom released? The models looked VERY rough and people shit on them for months until Capcom showed off some much more polished footage.

Back then on SRK people used to troll the game by calling it SF EX4 lol

I challenge you to a $10 FT10 UMVC3 money match. I'm still salty over my tournament loss. LET'S GO SON!

I quit that game after going 0-2 at Evo this year

I thought you asked to be banned until the semester ended :p

Good to see you back.

Quarter :p

Thanks! I have finals Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday next week so I'm mostly gonna be on just now and disappearing until then. Not sure I wanna be banned until next Friday lol

Did you ever see the very first screenshots of SF4 that capcom released? The models looked VERY rough and people shit on them for months until Capcom showed off some much more polished footage.

Back then on SRK people used to troll the game by calling it SF EX4 lol

I do. I'm old, haha. I remember them not looking that bad to me. I was playing so much 3S, I wanted a change.

Maybe now since I have played SF4 so much, I wanted a change again. In the art and how they moved.

I hope there is an arcade version.

At least the stage is a step up from SFIV's stages. I was really tired of the cartoony stages with joke characters in the background.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just curious, do anyone think that they are going to port skeleton/hitbox/etc program from USF4 to SFV to save the money and schedule?

Rhapsody

Banned
I know that the graphics aren't final, but at this point I'm just going to assume it is and not cling to some hope lol

It'll probably be refined more, but this is definitely the style they're just going to stick with.

CO_Andy

SF5! FUCK YEAH!!!!

I was right when i said 2015 will be SF4's last Evo :)

Well, maybe. That game is likely to get the boot.

Sayah

Anyways, I was saying that I'm really excited for SFV and how PS4 is now solidified as THE console for fighting games. MS can't secure any of the other big fighting game IPs. MKX is already multiplat. Versus series' future is right in front of you. Tekken and SoulCalibur always sell more on PlayStation and I can't envision a world where they'll be Microsoft exclusive.

Other fighting game IPs are too small to matter.

Top Bottom