• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 2-8 | The Great Cave-In Offensive

the point is that some people want Smash 4 to be 3 stocks

imagine how much time that would be

As much as I see why 3 stock would be great, at this point, 2 definitely seems to not only be working well, but keep an apparently good average match time.

Still holding out hope that Nintendo will assign some team to occasional balance patches in the future, as unlikely as that is

As much as I see why 3 stock would be great, at this point, 2 definitely seems to not only be working well, but keep an apparently good average match time.

Still holding out hope that Nintendo will assign some team to occasional balance patches in the future, as unlikely as that is
I think they inferred in a panel at Apex that some balance changes are coming down the line.

K.Sabot

Slayer still isn't good enough god dammit.

Should be even more hitstun on ch pile bunker, fuck every other change.

Should be so much hit stun that they tumble into the wall and then bounce off the wall and tumble back to the other wall.

Heeeey the NDA for MKX is over!
That means I can finally answer some questions about the game some of you asked me!
Is is a good video game? :) That's all I really want to know.

I think so. It's actually very close to MK9 both in mechanics and feeling. I think the whole package will be great.

I just want to know what mechanics have changed since MK9, and whether it is less clunky.

Except for the stamina bar who's very strange, it's the same. The feeling I got was that the game was less projectile battle oriented. Since backdash cost you half your stamina gauge you can't run away too much. We'll see when the game is out but I think they narrowed the game a bit, not in the stage but in the movement capacity and by giving less power to fireballs.

I wanna know more Cassie Cage related stuff in general. Not a lot of footage of her for whatever reason.

I played her for you. She is clearly the less original character from the new ones. She feels very light and fast but I don't know, I didn't really enjoy playing her even if she's not a bad or unfun character. :/

I'm curious to see if it plays more like Injustice or MK9.

See above but in general it looks much more like MK9.

Please test if some moves consume the Stamina meter or not. Is the Running the only thing that consumes Stamina?
Check if projectiles can interact or if they still go through each other like in MK9.
What does the animation for the combo breaker look like, has it changed?
If you press Retry in a VS battle, does the game reload the entire match like in Tekken/GG or is the retry instant like in DOA/SF4?
Thanks in advance :)

Stamina is consumed by backdashing and running but not the same way. Backdash take the stamina instantly so if you are touched, you don't keep an amount of stamina that matches the ground you traveled. Run is the opposite : you can continue to run in the face of your opponent if you have stamina.

Projectiles seems maybe less important but that's just a feeling. I played Kitana and I could not as easily make the projectile war as in MK9 but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I think some characters have a special animation? By the way a thing I noticed is that old characters now have their own animations for standard normal like sweep or down kick. Sadly, new characters took the old animations instead of having their own. :(

I think it's DOA/SF4 like but I actually don't remember. The loadings in the game are SUPER FAST.

How much the interactibles factor into gameplay and if there are any stage transitions mostly.

Not much. The walls are great to escape but you can be read and punished easily. The attacks does not feel unbalanced and some are very, very specific to some things happening into the sage.

Other things :

FERRA&TORR are SO MUCH FUN IT'S RIDICULOUS. First you can SEND A LITTLE GIRL to the face of someone. Then they have some very, very good command moves that goes fast and far away. I tried all variations and the classic one was the funniest for me, I could not play very well the one where Ferra is not on Torr.
Kotal and D'vorah are more visually appealing than in gameplay in my opinion. D'vorah as great moves and it feels great but that's it. Kotal feels powerful but classic.
Kitana has a Jade variation. And one of her other variation looks a bit like Mileena: she has a counter move and two special throws.
Kung Lao is super fun but I can't play him right so I might not give you a lot of feedback. He has a classic mode with classic hats attack and another one where the hat is a trap like you saw in the trailer.

Feel free to ask questions if you want and I'll try to answer them. :)

Rhapsody

Banned
There's a post on smashboards with some statistics on some older Wii U tourneys but I can't seem to find it.

I use to be an advocate of 3 stock but 2 stock is much better for pacing and for tourneys imo.

Customs should really be on though and I'll keep fighting it.

Same. 3 feels too much at this point.

While I really like the idea of customs, I don't think it'll work out. Too many problems it brings.

http://www.meleeitonme.com/tafo-blog-post-apex2015-thoughts/
Also, seven characters appeared in Melee top 8 at Apex. Pretty good.

Malice215

I had to close the video because I'm over here at work dying.

I can't believe that they really asked this, which means that the first thing that people are going to do are the worst things possible.

Cannes Winter Clash poster is up!

B9LfFrfCUAIZmn4.jpg

Nice job giving the old World Game Cup a new graphic identity. It was made by Bulbeuse, a french graphic designer also playing a good Blanka on SF4.

shaowebb

Maybe in a little bit, I've got meds to take. I've had a cough now for a little over a month, and it's only recently starting to go away.

I feel ya...I got Bronchitus currently. Steroids, zpac, codene cough stuff and an inhalor all are go right now and I still feel like shit.

On the plus side though, MKX is picking up traffic on TYM so I'm getting tons of opportunity to go all Bishoptl on the ass end of the FGC too! Not certain if I'm being sarcastic or not on that honestly...dealing with shit posters getting out of line over a game thats not out is annoying. Its also extremely satisfying to at least have the power to shut them down and reign them in though.

Yay, new game release periods are entertaining for me these days :)

xCobalt

I just got USF4. I saw a video of Gen's infinite target combo. Has that been patched out yet?

That infinite was for the Omega game mode. It's just a whacky variation for characters. You'll only see it online if you enable edition select in endless lobbies.

shaowebb

Makes me wish we had the option to turn on Heroes and Heralds mode locally in Marvel. Could you imagine how many batshit matches we could have seen folks do on after hours or casuals? Only mode I ever saw that let you make irrelevant cast into something incredible...or busted stuff more busted, but that part is a bit more common lol.

God Ironfist with an airdash was a completely different story out there...hell some of the ways you could tweak Chun Li's character to get her more damage was great too. Miss that mode...so much lost potential. Needs to be in more games.

fader

is it just me? Or does KOF 2002UM feel vastly different than KOF2002 Arcade? I know UM was a re-balancing but the game just feels different, like its a different KOF game.

Top Bottom