• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 2-8 | The Great Cave-In Offensive

Anne

Friendly reminder Bace and Doonpa are going to be on my stream at 8 PM CST analyzing a FT10 in P4U2 between Shikki(Narukami) and Denpa(S Naoto).

Twitch.tv/anneifrank

hitsugi

And... this was 2 console generations ago. When fighting games were considered dead (2D ones anyway). I basically jumped on it because it looks awesome, I still think it does.

It still does look good - can't knock it for that...

As shitty as Nintendo is at understanding community interaction and new media, this should've been the expected outcome for a long time

xezuru

I never really did understand people who thought Nintendo didn't have a negative impact on *this* situation and now especially so.

Here's a quote from UltraDavid, a lawyer (also FGC dude) who specializes in IP law:
For sure, there's absolutely no legal problem with them just saying explicitly that PM can go ahead, Nintendo's rights in trademarks and copyrights would not suffer at all as a result of that. You mostly can't "lose" copyright rights anyway. Trademark rights can be lost but like, sooo much would have to happen for a giant like Nintendo to lose control over a giant franchise like Smash Bros that it's not even really worth acknowledging. There are some good reasons to be more proactive about defending trademark rights even still, but those rights wouldn't suffer at all if Nintendo gave PM a license to do what they're already doing.

Now while there's nuances to law in everyone's eyes of difference and especially how they want to protect themselves and their own assets, it really bothers me that *hands off*, also pretty much means one-way-communication at this point, Nintendo says and does what they want and until they say PM is safe, everyone is at their whims and cannot do anything to prevent this or fix it.

K.Sabot

Don't think there's anything keeping PM from being run at events, they'd just have to stream it on douyou.tv or some other platform that doesn't give a fuck about international copyright law.

Kimosabae

Banned
Project Mahvel??

"It's dead, Jim! I'm a doctor, not some enterprising corporate entity here to put your balls in a sling!"

Isn't the rumor that Nintendo is letting the community voluntarily remove PM from everything instead of just sending a C&D as a less belligerent way of protecting its copyright? It's like its youtube "partners" program but for unlicensed mods.
Don't think there's anything keeping PM from being run at events, they'd just have to stream it on douyou.tv or some other platform that doesn't give a fuck about international copyright law.

Except the part where sponsors probably wouldn't want to touch an event that runs a game which is a blatant copyright violation against one of the biggest publishers in videogames, or Nintendo having a scorched earth policy with any coverage or monetization towards their games in general.

It's not just about streaming.

K.Sabot

Isn't the rumor that Nintendo is letting the community voluntarily remove PM from everything instead of just sending a C&D as a less belligerent way of protecting its copyright? It's like its youtube "partners" program but for unlicensed mods.

Except the part where sponsors probably wouldn't want to touch an event that runs a game which is a blatant copyright violation against one of the biggest publishers in videogames, or Nintendo having a scorched earth policy with any coverage or monetization towards their games in general.

It's not just about streaming.

I'm sure people ran hacked copies of MvC2 at Capcom sponsored events in the past and nobody gave a shit.

K.Sabot

Personally I'd never go into modding a Nintendo game and expect widespread support. I know who I am dealing with.

Yeah we're dealing with the guys who expect youtubers to stop uploading and remove anything non-nintendo related if they want to make money from promoting nintendo games.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
If a game not being on stream is enough to kill it off then I question the motivation of the player base.

Games don't die unless people stop playing them.

mbpm1

If a game not being on stream is enough to kill it off then I question the motivation of the player base.

peopledie.jpg

xezuru

Three Majors and the equivalent to TeamSp00ky of Smash just forfeited the attempt to even bargain for PMs lifespan, not due to any comment, just pure reactionary fear from Nintendo C&D. Yes, it will not kill PM now, but this does send a message to other TOs and Streamers to do the same and just by that fear already a giant portion of fans that came from those places or interested in those tournaments are already gone. The place of coming to interest and going to play is important and in my opinion is one of the greatest things about Evo, you can play a game you like and see other people playing some different game and say hey that's cool what's that about and learn about it, and that will be largely destroyed by having less sponsorships/money/and people due to PM only tournaments because of just. this. fear.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Personally I'd never go into modding a Nintendo game and expect widespread support. I know who I am dealing with.
I think people got a really good taste of it perhaps becoming the premiere modded game to have a sustained lifespan in the FGC considering how extensive the modding is. But ultimately, it's a modded game, owned by Nintendo. Either of those two facts alone are enough for you to not to get your hopes up.

I hope they can work it out, but this is Nintendo we're talking about here. They don't fuck around when it comes to their IPs.

Azure J

Pretty big news concerning Project M. VGBC won't be streaming any new PM content and will be removing (relocating) all the existing PM youtube content.
http://smashboards.com/threads/vgbootcamp-regarding-project-m.390087/

Woah. This is going to hurt that scene. Sure games don't die until their player base stops supporting them, but in this day and age where visibility really helps in expanding that player base, not getting any of that on the de-facto Smash stream is certainly a sad fate.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Three Majors and the equivalent to TeamSp00ky of Smash just forfeited the attempt to even bargain for PMs lifespan, not due to any comment, just pure reactionary fear from Nintendo C&D. Yes, it will not kill PM now, but this does send a message to other TOs and Streamers to do the same and just by that fear already a giant portion of fans that came from those places or interested in those tournaments are already gone. The place of coming to interest and going to play is important and in my opinion is one of the greatest things about Evo, you can play a game you like and see other people playing some different game and say hey that's cool what's that about and learn about it, and that will be largely destroyed by having less sponsorships/money/and people due to PM only tournaments because of just. this. fear.

Let's see if Big E removes it in 2 weeks time for Winter Brawl.

Malice215

Interesting they aren't including SCV at least considering France has one of the world's strongest scenes.

The scene for SCV is centered around Paris, and ROF which is held in Paris has become the go to tournament for SCV nowadays. Cannes is tougher to get to, and the Soulcalibur people who used to be involved in organizing tournaments there have moved on, so CWC not having it is not a big deal.

As for Project Melee, at the end of the day, it's still a modded game, Nintendo is protective of their IPs, and the people who want to be in their good graces after a decade plus of waiting for them to acknowledge the competitive scene aren't going to damage that relationship by promoting a modded game.

Plus what purpose is PM serving at this point when Smash 4 is out and Melee continues to grow in hype and popularity?

xezuru

Plus what purpose is PM serving at this point when Smash 4 is out and Melee continues to grow in hype and popularity?

all it is, is the developers highlight of what they love in EVERY smash game, not just some Brawl Recycler. Taunt Canceling, Double Jump Cancelling, Movesets and ect from 64. Reverse Aerial Rush, Wave Bouncing, DACUS, Foot Stools, Aerial Glide Tossing, ect from Brawl. The mod has many things from many smash games even things as simple as getting effect sparks on walljumps (from Smash 64).

Some people just want Melee's mechanics, and have a game with more than 6 characters viable at top play, sometimes I want to play Ness and he's great and he has mechanics from EVERY previous smash game including Brawl building his tools to fight against others with. Everyone who promoted VGBC *initially* was initially meaning the streams literally started as PM streams and introduced a huge audience that started the ball rolling, and people loved seeing that ball in play, it's going towards a complete stop without reason, which is why it sucks.

Azure J

Honestly, the diversity in character match ups and general character viability was a strong argument for Project M's continued existence (and it still is). I love me some top tier in Melee with the occasional Captain Falcon, Luigi, Yoshi or Samus hype, but seeing the rest of the cast considered as non-entities in the current meta is kinda sad. Project M was interesting in that regard for bringing everyone to a new competitive par which led to tons of new match ups and new styles being brought to the front and center.

On the other side of things, Smash 4 kinda fixes the match ups issue with its much more expansive and modern roster, but it does so at the expense of the strong movement and offense style of play that existed in Melee and makes the basis for Project M. PM had a nice position of being an in-between for the two titles, offering a reprised and larger set of viable characters/play styles to choose from without compromising on the pacing and game play that made Melee such a blast to watch and play.

There's a lot more beyond that (there's a bunch of unique to PM game play stuff like shield DI, Brawl-isms like pivot grab/aerial approaches) but I have to admit that it was a combination of falling out of love with Marvel, wanting to go back to my Smash roots and hearing that Project M was Melee + even more (viable) characters that made it my main game for a long while.

Azure J

Keep in mind that Brawl, and thus also Project M, has characters that are not Nintendo IPs.

Stuff like this is why my only immediate criticisms were the mod having a Castlevania stage (not directly referenced in any manner in Brawl) and potentially including Knuckles (Sega IP, despite clearances granted with Sonic). Feels like they should have kept it in the greater family at the most.

xezuru

Stuff like this is why my only immediate criticisms were the mod having a Castlevania stage (not directly referenced in any manner in Brawl) and potentially including Knuckles (Sega IP, despite clearances granted with Sonic). Feels like they should have kept it in the greater family at the most.

Brawl Assets:
http://www.ssbwiki.com/File:Knuckles_-_Brawl_Trophy.png
http://www.ssbwiki.com/File:Lyn_-_Brawl_Trophy.png
http://www.mariowiki.com/File:Sticker_Roy.png
http://www.mariowiki.com/File:BrawlTrophy251.png

No rebuttal for Castlevania though, always thought that level was out of place and strange in Nintendo context.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Azure J

Trophies don't equal character use, though.

This and the complications that arise with the use of Sega stuff specifically is why I always bring up Knuckles. Sure you can hand wave the use Nintendo properties as "Nintendo is willingly looking the other way on things licensed for use in the game in one form" but I imagine it gets that much harder to turn away when you've got a third party partner to appease and this stuff creeps up into their neck of the woods.

Top Bottom