• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Jazz-ism

Banned
Nah son we EEEEEEEEEE Sports in here.

cLBBicX.jpg

Tik-Tok

It's understandable that Mike Ross sucks ass but Gootecks sucks ass too.

This is looking like a standard shilling exercise.

Naw this is just them trying to diversify to appeal to people outside th fgc. Gootecks was posting on twitter asking if anyone had any spare keys, if they were schilling they'd have been given the key.

Omega

Banned
well that was a disappointing episode

I'm fine with them doing non-FGC stuff..but we just watched and listened to someone play a tutorial for an hour.

TCG were banned at my school because there was a big problem about people stealing each other's cards.

LMAO my school banned them because one of the teachers was hardcore christian and said magic cards were "evil" due to having pictures of demons and shit. This was at a public school in California.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My school banned digivices because people wouldn't stop shaking them in class.

Nah not after last week. I posted one thing about you then the whole chat started to shit on you. While funny, the whole thing was stupid and I regret doing it.
It's pretty amusing though, even if the chat does become shittier.

Ghazi

I'm pretty sure if my school ever saw that I'd livestreamed, let alone played Bayonetta, I'd be expelled. Shit's got black magic, witches, killing heaven's employees, all those kinda of things lol.

They also have a ban on Magic the Gathering.

Clawww

I'm pretty sure if my school ever saw that I'd livestreamed, let alone played Bayonetta, I'd be expelled. Shit's got black magic, witches, killing heaven's employees, all those kinda of things lol.

They also have a ban on Magic the Gathering.

BYU?

Dahbomb

LMAO Viscant going ham on the chat.

"FUCK TRON

FUCK PRROG

FUCK CHAT

FUCK EVERYTHING!!!

I WASN'T THE CHAMP... I AM THE CHAMP!!!!!"

1348913243096.gif

Zissou

If Xrd can't sway the masses then nothing can.

Forgot to reply on this earlier, but I think 90% of the reason people don't play anime fighters is their aesthetics are very off-putting (like most modern anime, tbh). Most people (outside of hardcore anime fools) see current 'generic' anime character design and see it as a huge turn-off. If an anime fighter based it's aesthetics off of some non-animu art style, it'd have a much better chance. Something visually inspired by Hokuto no Ken, Berserk, Vagabond, Akira, No.5, etc. might catch people's eye, but most people don't want to play moe belt fighter 4. The other 10% of the reason anime doesn't catch on is the release outside Japan takes so long that nobody even gives a fuck if/when it shows up.

vocab

Forgot to reply on this earlier, but I think 90% of the reason people don't play anime fighters is their aesthetics are very off-putting (like most modern anime, tbh). Most people (outside of hardcore anime fools) see current 'generic' anime character design and see it as a huge turn-off. If an anime fighter based it's aesthetics off of some non-animu art style, it'd have a much better chance. Something visually inspired by Hokuto no Ken, Berserk, Vagabond, Akira, No.5, etc. might catch people's eye, but most people don't want to play moe belt fighter 4. The other 10% of the reason anime doesn't catch on is the release outside Japan takes so long that nobody even gives a fuck if/when it shows up.

I agree. I see Platinum I go what the fuck. I see Slayer, and Johnny and go alright. Mature designs would go a long way in an anime fighter. Most of the anime I like is seinen and 70/80's stuff. All I want is a distinctive art style that isn't generic. I really like the portraits of guilty gear. Arcsys needs to do something about the release dates. It's really rough to wait a year to play the game.

I agree. I see Platinum I go what the fuck. I see Slayer, and Johnny and go alright. Mature designs would go a long way in an anime fighter. Arcsys needs to do something about the release dates. It's really rough to wait a year to play the game.

uguu kokonoe~~ uguu. where's baiken at :[

KakesuSora

On the other hand, if that's what people are complaining about, then it's a sign that the important things must have gone without a hitch.

Thx.

If any GAF monsters want to be chat mods, just give me a heads up during the event.

Things probably aren't gonna be as out of hand as last year's FR though, considering the rules that have been laid down for us at this event... (R.I.P. KingofSarus, wherever you are, and stay based.)

I wouldn't mind being a mod, I'll be around most of the weekend. I'll actually be at the event Saturday!

Infinite

Strikes me as bullshit tbh. I can accept people not wanting to play as moe archetypes and generic anime looking characters but everyone plays street fighter and marvel. Not to mention only like one or two anime fighters on the market are offensive in that regard. BlazBlue may have a character like platinum but it's variety there since you also have terumi, hakuman and Hazama.

Jazz-ism

Banned
the best anime (manga) style art comes from Araki-sensei

10/10 character design

its good up til part 8 with the exclusion of part 5

Strikes me as bullshit tbh. I can accept people not wanting to play as moe archetypes and generic anime looking characters but everyone plays street fighter and marvel. Not to mention only like one or two anime fighters on the market are offensive in that regard. BlazBlue may have a character like platinum but it's variety there since you also have terumi, hakuman and Hazama.

YESSS THISSSS^^^^

"OMG GG/BB/(anime game here) is so generic and unappealing looking!"

*pops in sf4

LOL

Infinite

I personally tend to favor BlazBlue and Arcana Heart character designs and styles than killer instinct and mortal kombat

Silky

Banned
its good up til part 8 with the exclusion of part 5

YESSS THISSSS^^^^

"OMG GG/BB/(anime game here) is so generic and unappealing looking!"

*pops in sf4

LOL

I wrote a thread about this, but I find BlazBlue designs extremely safe and boring for an anime game, with the exception of like three characters. I can't get into a fighting game without an appealing looking cast, and BlazBlue doesn't do it for me. It's also one of the reasons why the character list for AE is unappealing to me because the only three interesting characters (Dee Jay, Adon and Cody) in there are cool compared to the other 30+ characters. (SF3 is my favorite SF game that counts with great character design
EX exists dammit
KOF however doesn't do this to me. I could go on days and days and weeks and months and years about how appealing KOF's more 'modern' and 'somewhat believable.' aesthetic appeals to me more.

I don't think KI and MK technically even have character design

Games like Killer Instinct and MK are inspired by the american/european influence of old school kung fu films and american comic books instead of Japanese manga. The ninjas are MK are obviously a spawn of the classic "all black, silent" ninja shown in a lot of kung fu films. Sabrewulf? Lycanthropy lore. People like Kano and Strkyer are a clear influence of late 80s/early 90s action films.

Kimosabae

Banned
It helps that much of Guilty Gear is a homage to Western culture. Had Arc Sys a brain, they'd play that up in their Western marketing.

Arc Sys has no brain.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
sf4's aesthetics are a pretty healthy balance between west and east, I think.

I agree that one reason a lot of people are turned off by anime games is because of how they look. As much as people rag on NRS designs, their stuff is much easier for the western demographic to swallow than super animey stuff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wrote a thread about this, but I find BlazBlue designs extremely safe and boring for an anime game, with the exception of like three characters. I can't get into a fighting game without an appealing looking cast, and BlazBlue doesn't do it for me. It's also one of the reasons why the character list for AE is unappealing to me because the only three interesting characters (Dee Jay, Adon and Cody) in there are cool compared to the other 30+ characters. KOF however doesn't do this to me. I could go on days and days and weeks and months and years about how appealing KOF's more 'modern' and 'somewhat believable.' aesthetic appeals to me more.
What is this foolishness?

I wrote a thread about this, but I find BlazBlue designs extremely safe and boring for an anime game, with the exception of like three characters. I can't get into a fighting game without an appealing looking cast, and BlazBlue doesn't do it for me. It's also one of the reasons why the character list for AE is unappealing to me because the only three interesting characters (Dee Jay, Adon and Cody) in there are cool compared to the other 30+ characters. (SF3 is my favorite SF game that counts with great character design
EX exists dammit
KOF however doesn't do this to me. I could go on days and days and weeks and months and years about how appealing KOF's more 'modern' and 'somewhat believable.' aesthetic appeals to me more.

Games like Killer Instinct and MK are inspired by the american/european influence of old school kung fu films and american comic books instead of Japanese manga. The ninjas are MK are obviously a spawn of the classic "all black, silent" ninja shown in a lot of kung fu films. Sabrewulf? Lycanthropy lore. People like Kano and Strkyer are a clear influence of late 80s/early 90s action films.

I would like to hear your definition of safe especially in the case of bbcp. Imo those characters are definitely not safe (i mean the chicks)

Top Bottom