• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Silky

Banned
What is this foolishness?

Okay okay. Hear me out on this one. Look at the characters in, say, Super SF2 compared to the roster in The King of Fighters 98. Both rosters are extremely colorful, but it could definitely be argued that SF2 has the more flamboyant and louder cast (Mask wearing claw ninjas, green beast men, dudes with shoulder pads, Akuma.) compared to KOF (A Judo wrestler. A football player. A Rockstar.)

I would like to hear your definition of safe especially in the case of bbcp. Imo those characters are definitely not safe (i mean the chicks)

My time with CP is real small, so I really only went with CS's characters. Comparing the games to Guilty Gear--hell even Melty Blood to a lesser extent they just seem dull, overplayed.

I don't really like the designs/art in arcana, mb, ap or bb. Its just not appealing to me. GG i like a little better ( i plan to play xrd). I like the persona designs/art, just dont like the game really. My tastes in what I like in anime i guess is off base. I wouldn't say it's generic, I just don't like it. I can't explain why some art/designs grabs me or not. Like if arc made a hunter x hunter or berserk fighting game, i would love those designs. I like HnK and Basara X as well.

I have problems with some MK designs as well, mostly the women. Some KI also. Btw.

Okay okay. Hear me out on this one. Look at the characters in, say, Super SF2 compared to the roster in The King of Fighters 98. Both rosters are extremely colorful, but it could definitely be argued that SF2 has the more flamboyant and louder cast (Mask wearing claw ninjas, green beast men, dudes with shoulder pads, Akuma.) compared to KOF (A Judo wrestler. A football player. A Rockstar.)

At this point KOF has designs for just about everyone under the sun and then some.

soakrates

Hold up, there's an AE PC mod with the Ultra changes? How do I see about snagging this?

It helps that much of Guilty Gear is a homage to Western culture. Had Arc Sys a brain, they'd play that up in their Western marketing.
I agree, but to be fair, much of that homage is to 80s metal and power metal, which a lot of people either aren't tuned into or consider "uncool," so I can see how that might seem a little risky to marketers.

Silky

Banned
I don't really like the designs/art in arcana, mb, ap or bb. Its just not appealing to me. GG i like a little better ( i plan to play xrd). I like the persona designs/art, just dont like the game really. My tastes in what I like in anime i guess is off base. I wouldn't say it's generic, I just don't like it. I can't explain why some art/designs grabs me or not. Like if arc made a hunter x hunter or berserk fighting game, i would love those designs. I like HnK and Basara X as well.

I have problems with some MK designs as well, mostly the women. Some KI also. Btw.

I blame NetherRealm not being able to model a woman's face properly, and generally the dark vibe that the MK series is. I applaud DH for at least letting their two female characters look a bit more mature, though there's still a tad bit of oversexualization on it..

At this point KOF has designs for just about everyone under the sun and then some.

Indeed! That's what I want to see in more fighting games--universal tastes and influences for a broader appeal. That's something SNK is only capable of, and I love it.

--

It's also funny to see, when comparing Capcom and SNK, SF and Fatal Fury are the two franchises who had the same outrageous, flamboyant designs but eventually with time they came to slim down and mature their art approach with SF3 and Garou.

My time with CP is real small, so I really only went with CS's characters. Comparing the games to Guilty Gear--hell even Melty Blood to a lesser extent they just seem dull, overplayed.

ok. I got you

Clawww

sf4's aesthetics are a pretty healthy balance between west and east, I think.

I agree that one reason a lot of people are turned off by anime games is because of how they look. As much as people rag on NRS designs, their stuff is much easier for the western demographic to swallow than super animey stuff.

OG SF2 designs are greatest IMO. there's some goofiness in there, but for the most part everyone is a convincingly strong and motivated fighter, and their appearance conveys their character pretty much perfectly. like Silky said for KoF, I could go on for days about SF2 character design.

I wrote a thread about this, but I find BlazBlue designs extremely safe and boring for an anime game, with the exception of like three characters. I can't get into a fighting game without an appealing looking cast, and BlazBlue doesn't do it for me. It's also one of the reasons why the character list for AE is unappealing to me because the only three interesting characters (Dee Jay, Adon and Cody) in there are cool compared to the other 30+ characters. KOF however doesn't do this to me. I could go on days and days and weeks and months and years about how appealing KOF's more 'modern' and 'somewhat believable.' aesthetic appeals to me more.

Games like Killer Instinct and MK are inspired by the american/european influence of old school kung fu films and american comic books instead of Japanese manga. The ninjas are MK are obviously a spawn of the classic "all black, silent" ninja shown in a lot of kung fu films. Sabrewulf? Lycanthropy lore. People like Kano and Strkyer are a clear influence of late 80s/early 90s action films.

I was partially sarcastic, but in general the art directions for KI and NRS games aren't particularly noteworthy for me. Outside of NRS's animations, it's nothing offensive or especially bad, and the camp factor for both were as much a product of their time as they were of actual design, just like the art styles of their modern "rebooted" incarnations are as much a result of Xbox sharpening/crushed black filters or the "UE3 look".

Outside of the stage design in MK/Injustice or the particle effects in KI, I'd be really surprised if someone noticed anything from the visual design of any of those games. I guess it's why they don't get penny arcade articles about objectification.

The art design for SF4 is pretty bad, but I have to commend them for their consistency, atleast. It's just so drab and uninteresting compared to how beautiful SF games used to look.

Infinite

That's cool man I'm not knocking you for it but I do think sf and the Capcom side of the marvel roster are anime as fuck. Anyways that whole argument works better if we are discussing sales and how popular the games are with casual gamers. If we are talking about the FGC and playing the games competitively then I don't really buy that. I think the real reasons why they don't support these games as much are unrelated to that point.

Clawww

flamboyant, sure, but the actual character designs are more coherent and self-evident than KoF

Dahbomb

SF2 designs are great because of their simplicity... something that is lost in most modern fighting games when it comes to character designs.

Silky

Banned
NRS women faces. My god. I remember when Katana took her veil off in story mode. Jesus.

Sonya had a chin that could slice bread, jesus

flamboyant, sure, but the actual character designs are more coherent and self-evident than KoF

actually I can agree with that.

--

I think I'm really attached to Skullgirls' art direction and character design cause it can have that even spread of simple (Filia, Parasoul) to downright Bizarre (Peacock, Double) without the change looking too jarring.

Infinite

SF2 designs are great because of their simplicity... something that is lost in most modern fighting games when it comes to character designs.
True. A lot of characters are over designed but I can excuse something like guilty when it does this since that's what's going for.

Clawww

exactly. you know right away that guile is an ass-kicking american. it makes sense for him to go up against a martial artist or a big-ass russian, who are equally convincing and coherent. there aren't any school girls or anything in the mix, no one is wearing a leather jacket or sunglasses for no reason. I liked abel the most out of the SF newcomers. yeah, he's the most vanilla and his backstory sucks, but he would fit right into SF2, with el fuerte in close second (as much as I hate his gameplay lol).

even someone zanier like Vega has really tight design. the purple and gold coloring reflect his nobility and the claw and mask convey his twisted mentality. the ninja shit is out there but still works in the context of his stage and his bullfighting.

Busaiku

Am I the only one seeing this?
7ynv0gp.png

Zissou

Marvel comics?

Marvel proves that the fgc is cool with the mechanics of anime games!

Strikes me as bullshit tbh. I can accept people not wanting to play as moe archetypes and generic anime looking characters but everyone plays street fighter and marvel. Not to mention only like one or two anime fighters on the market are offensive in that regard. BlazBlue may have a character like platinum but it's variety there since you also have terumi, hakuman and Hazama.

Dunno why you bring up marvel- marvel (or any licensed character fighter) has the luxury of straight up skipping the process for making original iconic likable characters because the job is already done. Characters like Dr. Doom, Dante, and whoever else have already proved themselves to be iconic and stood the test of time. Street Fighter does well I think in making characters just generic enough to be broadly appealing and let players identify with them while still having some personality. I would agree that SF4 has questionable art direction though, for sure. Third strike was fantastic though.

There's not a single character I find appealing in the BB cast. There's a ton of variety in Japanese art styles if you looks at the huge breadth of manga/anime out there, but for some reason, anime fighters just stick with the basic generic base style. I might play Xrd, but I'm turned off by the overall belt-ification of the art compared with the older 2D sprites.

Warpticon

How hard is it to get a Hearthstone beta key ATM?

My stream is constantly restarting and freezing at 240p.

I dunno, but I got one back in November and forgot to use it. I mentioned it on Twitter a couple of weeks ago, and randoms came out of the woodworks begging me for it.

Zissou

OG SF2 designs are greatest IMO. there's some goofiness in there, but for the most part everyone is a convincingly strong and motivated fighter, and their appearance conveys their character pretty much perfectly. like Silky said for KoF, I could go on for days about SF2 character design.

Agree with this. SF designs convey a lot of information to you effectively. The exact opposite of overly busy inconsistent doodad riddled anime fighter designs.

My school banned Marvel

Nah jk my school banned people going off campus for lunch lel

I'm boycotting your school, starting today.

exactly. you know right away that guile is an ass-kicking american. it makes sense for him to go up against a martial artist or a big-ass russian, who are equally convincing and coherent. there aren't any school girls or anything in the mix, no one is wearing a leather jacket or sunglasses for no reason. I liked abel the most out of the SF newcomers. yeah, he's the most vanilla and his backstory sucks, but he would fit right into SF2, with el fuerte in close second (as much as I hate his gameplay lol).

even someone zanier like Vega has really tight design. the purple and gold coloring reflect his nobility and the claw and mask convey his twisted mentality. the ninja shit is out there but still works in the context of his stage and his bullfighting.

Simple visual design is pretty important. You've got a stoic karateka, not-Mike Tyson, not-Michelle Yeoh, American Stroheim - all very straightforward ways of saying "hey, that fighter's hardcore, this fighter punches a lot, that fighter's super patriotic, that fighter's an Interpol lady cop like in the movies", etc.

Vega, in particular, was pretty wild because of the stage gimmick that you mentioned. It's a shame that the mainline SF series stopped throwing in special boss fights like that or like Dynamic Battles after Alpha 3. Rival fights are cool the first time through, but they're basically just regular fights with special intros and outros.

FSLink

Banned
I want to main Platinum. She's cracks me up.

Platinum's character design is just so over the top and effing anime, it's hilarious to me. She has fucking hearts for pupils. Her playstyle is pretty fun too. Not a huge fan of the BlazBlue character designs overall though.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Was this posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6-4EkT4Flc

What the heck is this glitch?
Ibuki is anime! ^^

Well well.

I haven't touched AE in more than a year now, and I was thinking of picking up Ibuki for months to go along with my mainstays Dee Jay, Fuerte and Balrog/Honda for Ultra, and that made me want to put the game in sooner. That is nuts.

Main reason why I wanted to pick up Ibuki is because I've thought for a long time that she is the most slept-on monster in the roster that can actually dominate that no one talks about.

Didn't watch NLBC last week so I missed this but damn Flux has another super salty moment. Any amount of money pt.2.

Best part was seeing that live, seeing him get the two wins of Flux, watch the last round start to go horrible for Flux & type in the chat for Sp00ky to get the salt camera ready, and then actually see him letting the salt rain. I even show up in that chat twice because it was actually that damn hilarious. Normally I don't even react like that. So good.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Main reason why I wanted to pick up Ibuki is because I've thought for a long time that she is the most slept-on monster in the roster that can actually dominate that no one talks about.

Eh I think lots of people realise how powerful ibuki is by now. Except for online Ibukis who go on SRK and talk about how not-good she is when they run into someone their stupid autopilot garbage doesn't work as well against.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Eh I think lots of people realise how powerful ibuki is by now. Except for online Ibukis who go on SRK and talk about how not-good she is when they run into someone their stupid autopilot garbage doesn't work as well against.

Hahaha, true.

And seeing you reminded me that I forgot to add Makoto to the mainstay list too.

Top Bottom