• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't really like the word shill because there is overlap with being paid and just generally being super biased but there are different levels to how much I care what a pro player had to say.

I will entertain what Art and Max have to say to a larger degree than most. Wong has always been a bit laissez-faire about games, thumbing up everything, but I generally don't care what he has to say about anything. Gootecks and Mike Ross live off of this stuff so obviously they are not to be trusted, especially after Mike and SFxTK.

Why Champ though? He seems pretty transparent/unbelievable to the fact that it's not an issue IMO, and I can't even name a game he could have shilled for. Besides, his marketing for the latest UMvC3 patch hasn't been going so smoothly recently.

I mean in the context of hyping up a game product... not his own skills.

If hyping up your own skills makes you a shill then FChamp is the Major Nelson of the FGC.

If you mean he hyped up Injustice/KI then he really isn't any more of a shill than either Arturo or Max. And in the case of KI he has been playing that game every day since it came out... he even played a bit of Injustice.

it would be Injustice then if I missed a KI one

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I say Champ mostly because of how hard he pimped ReveLAtions and such. Plus if he has an opportunity to get money somehow he's definitely gonna take that. But yeah, Champ is less guilty of things like that than the other folks I talked about afaik.

I just feel champ has a untrustworthy face and voice, haha. Plus he was pimpin the beech and revelations.

Actually, it doesn't really bother me much if people are open about it. Like if max got paid for his KI vids ( I think they are better than anything ms or dh has done as well), I think he would be transparent about it. And that would be cool.

Dahbomb

it would be Injustice then if I missed a KI one
Would you honestly say he hyped up Injustice more than Arturo? And I never even claimed that Arturo was a shill for the game... not even close.

He honestly seemed genuinely hyped for having Sinestro in the game... he had planned to play Sinestro as soon as he was announced which he did.

I just feel champ has a untrustworthy face and voice, haha. Plus he was pimpin the beech and revelations.
He shit on BOTH Revelations and the beech!!! Even under agreement to not shit on the beech he still shit on it!

If you want to separate Shill from Fan by long term commitment to the game in question, I'd say Champ was/is shilling Injustice and KI, at least until I see enough tournament entries in them from him.

Of course, in the lead up to Injustice he did explicitly say he only wanted to get early sponsored tournament/MLG money from it, so I should have expected it wouldn't pan out.

Nothing wrong with Champ and Wong liking their own personal favorite games, but I take with a grain of salt any statements on how they intend to play any new ones, before they inevitably get bopped by those who dedicate themselves to the new game as opposed to treating it as a side game, and stop bothering with it.

Like confirm into rekka drive cancel into dhalsim command normal into rekka and Chin's HD combos are actually pretty easy to loop if you understand what move leads into what.

That's actually the case for most HD combos in the game, they're basically just loops. Drops mostly occur because people fuck up the confirm/activation when trying to do them off lows or they just choke. A lot of people (I see that a lot with Takuma players especially) will also try and go for the full combo out of habit and mess it up where using their meter would have done it.

Would you honestly say he hyped up Injustice more than Arturo? And I never even claimed that Arturo was a shill for the game... not even close.

He honestly seemed genuinely hyped for having Sinestro in the game... he had planned to play Sinestro as soon as he was announced which he did.

He shit on BOTH Revelations and the beech!!! Even under agreement to not shit on the beech he still shit on it!

he shit on it because he didn't give a shit about the money, he wasn't counting on it ever coming.

I wouldn't call him a shill at all. Hes just wants to cause hype.

Dahbomb

Nothing wrong with Champ and Wong liking their own personal favorite games, but I take with a grain of salt any statements on how they intend to play any new ones, before they inevitably get bopped by those who dedicate themselves to the new game as opposed to treating it as a side game, and stop bothering with it.
Well Justin Wong has won like 3 big tournaments in KI thus far and is a front runner for EVO already.

Honestly Champ likes to hype up pretty much every fighting game for a bit (he did it for Persona and then pirated the fuck outta the game) but he drops them like a rock to go back to playing Marvel which is his main and he takes it very seriously. These are just side distractions for him.. you could even say he plays the games casually.

I wouldn't call him a shill at all. Hes just wants to cause hype.
This is the truth. Why would you even pay someone who hypes shit up for free?

If you want to separate Shill from Fan by long term commitment to the game in question, I'd say Champ was/is shilling Injustice and KI, at least until I see enough tournament entries in them from him.
That's like not even close to what the difference between a shill and fan is.

A fan has genuine hype for a game and is biased as hell... a shill is someone paid to create false hype and be biased. So for FChamp to be a shill he has to be on the take from a company.

Thing about FChamp is that he isn't even biased. Like if people shit on a new game in front of him he isn't going to go defense force mode on you.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
can we make a tier list of untrustworthiness in the FGC?

how many make John Nelson tier and Triforce tier?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
VF is not a high execution game.
came to post this. it's always funny to see people bring up VF in these discussions - Akira's knee is always brought up, even though it's
1. effectively moot since you get comparable damage from 666P, which unlike his knee is safe
2. one move that is not at all representative of the game's commands at large
3. not hard (unless you're on pad)

i know a lotta people here don't play the game so whatever, but it's a nasty misconception. VF is one of the most input-friendly games around

Kalamari

I think one eventual result from all the internet shilling is that people will become much more skeptical as time goes on, the more false hype is created, the more people will become aware of it.

Soon bullshit detectors will become so finely tuned among internet goers that even the slightest hint of phoniness will result in blowback of astronomic levels.

Well Justin Wong has won like 3 big tournaments in KI thus far and is a front runner for EVO already.
He also won the PDP MK tournament. Justin's great fundamentals and experience work out well for him in the early days of a game when everyone is still learning, but how will he fair when people who play those games as their main games level up while he still focuses on SF4 and Marvel?

Beckx

it's a nasty misconception. VF is one of the most input-friendly games around

I still have nightmares about trying to learn the SPoD in the original (or maybe 2). Never try to learn what the Usenet people think is cool, kids.

Dahbomb

He also won the PDP MK tournament. Justin's great fundamentals and experience work out well for him in the early days of a game when everyone is still learning, but how will he fair when people who play those games as their main games level up while he still focuses on SF4 and Marvel?
But that's not what a shill is though!

Like Justin Wong has never hyped up a game by saying "Oh man _____ is going to be so good I am going to stop focusing on SF4/Marvel just to be better at this game!" or "This game is going to make SF4/Marvel irrelevant!!!" Just because you play a game for a bit and don't play it after a month doesn't make you a shill....

If that's the case... then 99% of people on GAF are shills. They hype just about everything up and drop the game like a rock after a week or even less of playing it.

The Gootecks and Mike Ross Show is live - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19uw17
Speaking of shills....

to be fair, most of KI gameplay is based on mind games. It doesn't matter how much tech (unless it circumvents the game mechanic) that comes, you still have to play the combo breaker game.

So I can have this godlike combo and comparable footsies, but if you can combo break me everytime while avoiding me from counter breaking...well GG.

Hey FGC-GAF, I wanna ask you some questions about execution

I like how execution is bolded, lol

What is a fighting game made in the past ~6 years that you think requires 'high execution' to play competitively? (Relative to other fighting games made around the same time)

- I want to say Fate/Unlimited Codes, but I don't know if it's still considered competitive. Meh, that's still my choice. I'd say the same for most gatling games, actually.

Conversely, name a fighting game you would consider to require only 'low execution' to play competitively?

- Akatsuki Blitzkampf. It's a little bit too simple at times, actually.

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of something 'requiring high execution' in a fighting game?

- Sub-mechanics that play around with hitbox properties. Clean Hits, Ragna's nonsense in BBCP, hell, even counter-hit dependent combos can be really strict.

And a bonus question:
  • Do you believe that characters that require high execution to play properly should be rewarded somehow relative to lower execution characters? (i.e. having unique/better options)
    -This is assuming the developer is responsible for the 'reward', and not technology the dev didn't consider(even if the latter is often the case over the former).

I think that most characters that have a different or unique playstyles will end up with higher execution barriers by default, because they're usually balanced around whatever makes them unique - the only exceptions are when the character's gimmick is a basic game mechanic taken to 11 (more damage, having armor/more armor than the others, etc.) So they shouldn't have additional barriers slapped onto them, and they definitely shouldn't be rewarded for it - that's just asking for trouble, especially when it comes to balancing the game overall.

came to post this. it's always funny to see people bring up VF in these discussions - Akira's knee is always brought up, even though it's
1. effectively moot since you get comparable damage from 666P, which unlike his knee is safe
2. one move that is not at all representative of the game's commands at large
3. not hard (unless you're on pad)

i know a lotta people here don't play the game so whatever, but it's a nasty misconception. VF is one of the most input-friendly games around

I was half-tempted to put 'VF' as my answer to the 2nd question for that exact reason. I would have done it too, if it wasn't for the 3D movement.

Dahbomb

Mike Ross with the "check the tapes" play:

giphy.gif

"Out played nigga!"

Also:
anonymous1736 : EnzoGT is the biggest shill on Neogaf. Dude probably works for Marvel.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I still have nightmares about trying to learn the SPoD in the original (or maybe 2). Never try to learn what the Usenet people think is cool, kids.
the SPOD is a better candidate for high execution imo but still we're talking about 1 or 2 moves out of let's say 50, for one character out of 20. it's still misrepresenting the game at large since most moves are single directional + button press and at worst are "from crouch", requiring cd during blockstun. more important stuff like cd fuzzy or ETE is character independent and easy as pie.

Beckx

the SPOD is a better candidate for high execution imo but still we're talking about 1 or 2 moves out of let's say 50, for one character out of 20. it's still misrepresenting the game at large since most moves are single directional + button press and at worst are "from crouch", requiring cd during blockstun. more important stuff like cd fuzzy or ETE is character independent and easy as pie.

I know, it's just a silly thing I remember and fits well with the idea of misrepresenting the game, because there was nothing else even close to being that hard.

I never did get the final hit to come out. :(

Omega

Banned
anonymous4430 : dahbomb the ninja theory employee?
anonymous1736anonymous1736 : Dahbomb got paid to promote DmC on Neogaf.

i wonder how many plebians follow FGC Weekly but can't post because they dont have an account

Dahbomb

The Dahbomb nut huggers are at it again.

By the way Gooteck's Magic rage quit story reminded me of this:

tumblr_m0myttPy9N1qzr9qko1_500.gif

TCG were banned at my school because there was a big problem about people stealing each other's cards.

Jazz-ism

Banned
execution

- I want to say Fate/Unlimited Codes,

YO GOT DAMN

I totally forgot about this game! You want to improve your execution for real? Do all the combo missions for this game and I promise you, you will DEFINITELY notice better execution in your game

the game itself was whatever/kusoge but GOT damn that shit was hype and hard as fuck. i credit my somewhat passable execution to this game

UBW combos, are the original new gen swag combos.

kudos to soused louse my brother you brought back some fond ass memories with this game

Omega

Banned
TBS is the worst.

I'm calling Verizon and cancelling my TV package tomorrow. thats how bad that show looks and how bad that commercial was

Top Bottom