• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

I gave Skullgirls an honest shot during the free beta and just couldn't get into any of the characters. I really don't like the art style, either. I haven't played a fighting game with so much indifference since MK9, although I do think SG is a better game.

Now KOFXIII I've been enjoying a lot. Probably slightly less than SF4 and slightly more than Guilty Gear. Which is fine since it runs on my tablet and SF4 doesn't. I'll probably wind up going back to playing GGPO more though.

That goes without saying... I am saying IF you were to make a team based fighting game then you need to put in the resources or forget about getting any profit back.

Real talk though... the game is fan service galore. There is a decent amount of unneeded panty shots in the game.

Is SG considered an exception here? Because it's no secret that the game itself is pretty deep into the black, even without the Kickstarter support.

And yeah, SG has boobs and butts galore on display. IMO it's not stuff most anime fans would bat an eye at(outside of maybe going 'fuck yeah'), but anyone not coming from there will and do notice that right away.

Hell, play Filia's story mode for about 15 seconds and you'll get enough hometown to make Kamitani proud.

onionfrog

Skullgirls is a good game.
I'm just waiting on Encore to be released on Consoles.
I haven't played in months since the console versions are so horribly out of date and my PC is too shitty to run the steam version.
:p

It was the art style that pushed me away from Skullgirls. I tried it out on steam and it felt like Marvel (thats how my friend convinced me to play) but I just didn't like how it looked. My said friend eventually moved to Dota2 so I don't even get to play games with him anymore (The Dota2 vortex is real)

That said, I would love a MvC type Awesomenauts game. Actually Awesomenauts is pretty awesome as it is.

It's the game of forever. Easily the best arcade-style competitive game out there. =o

I'll probably wait a month till I get it. Got some other stuff this month and wanted to see who sticks so I can play them since I got exvs late and only touched it like twice

And of course by 2D I am only talking about the game play style... not exactly hand drawn or sprite based. You can make an engine like the MVC3/GGXrd engine and still retain a 2D look/feel. Personally that is probably the way to go to keep costs low because hand drawn fighting games is just too much these days for both indies and big companies.
There is no better bang for your buck if we are talking about individual character costs. Lab Zero has actually bothered to give us the most comprehensive cost breakdown the genre has ever seen iirc. Why would you want to prop up Capcom and ASW's development processes as the cheapest if they don't give us any figures? I mean... ASW? I don't know the first thing about their dev times, cost breakdowns or overall game budgets and I actually put hundreds of hours into their games.

I'm guessing you are considering benefits like DLC costumes and such. There still isn't much concrete data to go on.
Personally I always thought skull girls should have been more vampire savior/guilty gear than mvc2. Was not interested in using teams in that game.
When I play the game I'm thinking Vampire with assists. Works well for me so long as I'm not playing Parasoul. The princess needs to finish her combos because her resets are blech.

soakrates

Speaking of Gundam, are there any team setups that allow both players to be more or less independent or is it strongly geared toward team play? I enjoy teamwork, but I don't think I should have to live and die by how well my teammate plays.

kirblar

I wish Skullgirls had made the character designs something you wouldn't be embarrassed showing to an eight year old. Really like what they're exploring in gameplay, but feel like the art pushes too far in a direction that limits them.

There's nothing saying you need to make sprites using L0's method with the same # of frames L0 does per-character, or that you even have to hand-draw them.

dtg

Neo Member
I personally won't touch MK or Injustice due to the stiff animations and art style. I'd rather play Teen Titans Battle Blitz any day of the week. Injustice doesn't feel like I'm playing a comic book or Batman TV show where Marvel seems to nail it. Same thing with Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm. It literally looks like you're playing the anime.

Beckx

Speaking of Gundam, are there any team setups that allow both players to be more or less independent or is it strongly geared toward team play? I enjoy teamwork, but I don't think I should have to live and die by how well my teammate plays.

Since you're living on the same team Cost, you have to mindful of each other. If you're both playing 3000 cost suits and he dies twice, it's game over (and if you're playing 3000/2500 and the 2500 suit dies first, the 3000 player is going to be seriously hurting after its first death due to Cost Over). I mean you're each moving independently but you have to know where your partner is and what the situation is, and hopefully you're both playing your role (not trying to play up front with a support suit, etc.)

Other than you're moving independently and trying to kill the other guy. But no way around it: if he's getting melee'd you need to be aware and cut the opponent (both defensively to help him out and offensively b/c it's a great opportunity to get damage).

There's someone in the Smash Edgehog thread who is actually using "cheese" and "spam" unironically.

I don't know what you call the opposite of Domination 101, but that's it.

I wish Skullgirls had made the character designs something you wouldn't be embarrassed showing to an eight year old. Really like what they're exploring in gameplay, but feel like the art pushes too far in a direction that limits them.
Quite a large percentage of games aren't appropriate for eight year olds and I think most fighters would be a tad complex for the munchkins anyway.

Parasoul and Squigly are pretty tame besides a couple moves from the leggy princess. Part of why I like them.
There's nothing saying you need to make sprites using L0's method with the same # of frames L0 does per-character, or that you even have to hand-draw them.
Not to mention resolution or number of buttons. I figure cutting 2 buttons, taunts and unique tag ins saves quite a bit of time, energy and money.

Glad y'all like the Gundam OT :)

I mean you can run any team that have units that hold their ground offensively and defensively with good balance, like a double 3000 team that doesn't have Epyon perhaps (since he'll need assistance getting in). But if they're getting mangled because they're getting double teamed (which is what will probably happen in some point in the match with good players), you are going to lose due to the fact their deaths contribute to the team's loss. Both of you share the same team cost gauge so teamwork is definitely encouraged if not essential to winning at high level play.

EDIT: what beckx said. ^^

Dahbomb

Pretty sure I would be embarrassed to show the Skullgirls character designs to an 8 year old as well, in more ways than one.

Shouta

There are two major style/strats you can run, there is the clear division of roles (a front, point unit, and a back, support unit) or a balanced approach where you work in tandem with your partner either in both front or both back positions. Both can be effective but require different elements of teamwork to them. The latter method is more conducive to independent action on the field but you need to be in tune with your partner and aware of the situation more so than the former method. Clearly dividing up roles allows you to define what you need to do so it lowers the synergy requirement.

There are two major style/strats you can run, there is the clear division of roles (a front, point unit, and a back, support unit) or a balanced approach where you work in tandem with your partner either in both front or both back positions. Both can be effective but require different elements of teamwork to them. The latter method is more conducive to independent action on the field but you need to be in tune with your partner and aware of the situation more so than the former method. Clearly dividing up roles allows you to define what you need to do so it lowers the synergy requirement.

Definitely have to take into account what units you choose as well. You'd never really run Luna's Zaku as a front unless the unit partnered with her is more support based than her.

Silky

Banned

cody-whew1.gif

Beckx

soakrates, check out the EVO side tourney top 8 (there's a lot of dead time between matches so skip that). You can see all the styles Shouta is talking about in play. The hi-nu/HeavyArms team is a classic Front/Back team. Master/Susanoo is more balanced. And you'll see these guys switch up when they have to (if the front suit is in Cost Over while the back suit has full health, you have to switch). (And remember that front/back doesn't really mean anything about spacing so much as "aggressive/taking damage" and "defensive/avoiding damage")

Clawww

There's someone in the Smash Edgehog thread who is actually using "cheese" and "spam" unironically.

oh my god:

By the gamer's definition (not the insult), it absolutely is. But I don't care, I've never had problems winning the other way. Maybe I've just watched too much anime, but kills should be epic. I do play for fun, and I think people can find a good balance without doing horribly infuriating lame tactics. It's not even that I die very often to it, I just hate not being able to reach the ledge by a longshot, and already seeing someone camped on it. That just in case crap is annoying lol.

I try not to use Noob Tubes, I don't like to spam fireballs, and I don't like ledge campers. Don't care if it makes me weak, it makes me feel superior and awesome.

soakrates

snippity snip
Thanks all. This sounds pretty sensible to me. I can enjoy team-based games, but am somewhat wary of them because few things are more frustrating to me in a game than losing no matter how well I play. That said, I do really like certain team dynamics such as protecting certain team members/units, focusing fire, organizing strats on the fly, etc.

kirblar

Quite a large percentage of games aren't appropriate for eight year olds and I think most fighters would be a tad complex for the munchkins anyway.

Parasoul and Squigly are pretty tame besides a couple moves from the leggy princess. Part of why I like them..
SF/Smash/Marvel are totally doable for kids. (Marvel has the EZ mode.) It's not that I think all games should be all-ages, but more that I see Peacock and think "missed opportunity."

Village

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98079866]I gave Skullgirls an honest shot during the free beta and just couldn't get into any of the characters. I really don't like the art style, either. I haven't played a fighting game with so much indifference since MK9, although I do think SG is a better game.

.[/QUOTE]

While I cannot say i do not like art style, i can agree there were some barriers to the characters.

Primarily for me its character design, instead of being good, their prime objective was to be sexy it seemed. I dunno i put the former instead of latter, the reverse isn't my thing. Someone really needed their " no women, even though it would really help their character design , can have the pants, if its for the sake of 'sexy legs' " decree. And they for me at least ruined valentine whole ninja thing by make her a nurse for some reason instead of a doctor. Why would you even do that, it makes more sense the doctor way, she could just pull the medical equipment out of her doctor coat. That looks like 8 times cooler, have you seen those anime's where its some cloaked dude and he pulls like 86 guns/swords/crazy shit out of his jacket . She would be on some ninja dante shit. But nah , yah'll really needed dat sexy nurse huh...

I try and play it on steam, and there are a couple character designs I enjoy, however a bunch of em, i just look and go "this could been good if they sexyness was secondary to it being good ". But I will not condemn its fans, however I will take it as a lesson in character design .

SF/Smash/Marvel are totally doable for kids. (Marvel has the EZ mode.) It's not that I think all games should be all-ages, but more that I see Peacock and think "missed opportunity."
Not the first time I've heard this. I can see your point. Personally Peacock stands out so much to me because she's what I'd think of if you asked me to name an American fighting game character. No one else in the cast has that. The second closest is Val because I think animaniacs whenever she starts doing her thing (oh, and Japanese nurses just aren't dat curvy, man). Parasoul looks like something that European devs would make if they actually had more prominent fighting game developers. She'd probably dress more militaristic to match her moves, but you get my point.

It'd be neat to see an all American classic style fighter, but I'd be willing to bet that it would still face the same problems with an all female cast regardless of cheesecake levels.

Is SG considered an exception here? Because it's no secret that the game itself is pretty deep into the black, even without the Kickstarter support.

And yeah, SG has boobs and butts galore on display. IMO it's not stuff most anime fans would bat an eye at(outside of maybe going 'fuck yeah'), but anyone not coming from there will and do notice that right away.

Hell, play Filia's story mode for about 15 seconds and you'll get enough hometown to make Kamitani proud.

Huh? Reverge Labs staff got fired a month before Skullgirls launched. They haven't seen any revenue from the game's sales because the publisher (Autumn Games and Konami) got caught up in legal bullshit from another game, and all of their assets were tied up.

Top Bottom