• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Dahbomb

The whole publisher bull shit is why it's hard to take SG into the equation for all these discussions about future fighting games.

I mean it's obviously understood that you need to release a game under stable publishers. You can release a godly game but if the publisher fucks you over that's the end of that.

Huh? Reverge Labs staff got fired a month before Skullgirls launched. They haven't seen any revenue from the game's sales because the publisher (Autumn Games and Konami) got caught up in legal bullshit from another game, and all of their assets were tied up.

Right -- I'm talking about how much the game made versus how much it cost to produce; not where the money it made went.

Financially, the game is a success. I know all too well about the devs' situation. :p

FGW | Maybe I've just watched too much anime

pack it up

Silky

Banned
The whole publisher bull shit is why it's hard to take SG into the equation for all these discussions about future fighting games.

I mean it's obviously understood that you need to release a game under stable publishers. You can release a godly game but if the publisher fucks you over that's the end of that.

There have been plenty of instances where the future of a fighting game series has been tested by unwillingness/dispute between developer and publisher. ARC Sys. and SEGA Sammy comes to mind, along with Capcom & SNK's disputes.

FGW | Maybe I've just watched too much anime

Love it.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I personally love Skullgirls art-style

tumblr_m3tqg7nqdv1r29wax.png

Where the BBWs at in fighting games nowadays?

filled_up_filia_by_theamericandream-d4djtiq.jpg

Dahbomb

I have watched a lot of anime in my time but what the FUCK does that have to do with certain playstyles?

I don't go "oh man Goku totally would not have spammed his opponents to death! I must play like Goku does!" The fuck outta here with this bull shit son!

you guys missed the whole anime = hentai thread late last night. Some guy made a thread called "LTTP Avatar, no not that hentai crap" rofl. Basically said anime and hentai are the same since they lead to the same road.

Waiting for that bible black fighting game

Beckx

Using the search function to find the first Neogaf mention of "cheesers"... apparently it's a Madden thing?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7347

edit: holy shit @ the f-bomb in the OP http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13822

Oh god. I knew a guy who insisted that people play "real football" in Madden. He ran a league (we were all online friends) and then threw a massive temper tantrum when he got to the super bowl and the other player beat him by taking long dropbacks with the QB (which confused the hell out of Madden's DB AI allowing for easier long passes). He kicked the guy out of the league for it.

That mentality was the worst.

Horseress

The "I watched too much anime" thing seals the deal for me.

Dat high road honor crap.

And people think Viscant is crazy....sorry god they don't know what they are saying

Using the search function to find the first Neogaf mention of "cheesers"... apparently it's a Madden thing?

edit: holy shit @ the f-bomb in the OP http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13822

HAHAHAHAHAHA

old gaf was raw

Infinite

I have watched a lot of anime in my time but what the FUCK does that have to do with certain playstyles?

I don't go "oh man Goku totally would not have spammed his opponents to death! I must play like Goku does!" The fuck outta here with this bull shit son!

Why do you guys care what people like that think? They have zero say in fighting game design so just let them play the game they way they want to in a corner by themselves.

alstein

Not the first time I've heard this. I can see your point. Personally Peacock stands out so much to me because she's what I'd think of if you asked me to name an American fighting game character. No one else in the cast has that. The second closest is Val because I think animaniacs whenever she starts doing her thing (oh, and Japanese nurses just aren't dat curvy, man). Parasoul looks like something that European devs would make if they actually had more prominent fighting game developers. She'd probably dress more militaristic to match her moves, but you get my point.

It'd be neat to see an all American classic style fighter, but I'd be willing to bet that it would still face the same problems with an all female cast regardless of cheesecake levels.

I have a really silly idea for something along those lines. Confederate magical girls generated from a Japanese magician traveling the fields of the South during the civil war- but his spell botched and the seeds didn't generate until 150 years later.

Character designs would be American, so it's not your typical magical girls (one exception)

Dahbomb

you guys missed the whole anime = hentai thread late last night. Some guy made a thread called "LTTP Avatar, no not that hentai crap" rofl. Basically said anime and hentai are the same since they lead to the same road.

A lot of anime blur the line between regular ol' anime and hentai. Like sometimes its pretty hard to tell from a cover if its hentai or normal anime.

Even normal anime has way too much fan service and loli/moe crap these days. There are still genuinely good anime being made that avoid this bull shit but we are talking like maybe one out of a hundred per year.

The funny thing is that a Bible Black fighting game would do better than Skullgirls...

Why do you guys care what people like that think? They have zero say in fighting game design so just let them play the game they way they want to in a corner by themselves.
I hear this crap all the time but this was the first time someone equating it to watching anime.

I am telling you guys.... anti-spam mechanics are the future of fighting games. Either there are going to be cooldown on moves or stamina bars that limit your move usage.

I am telling you guys.... anti-spam mechanics are the future of fighting games. Either there are going to be cooldown on moves or stamina bars that limit your move usage.

Brawl had damage/knockback decay, too bad that actually contributed to some dumb infinites :jnc

I've actually always thought that a game that the moves (or combos) would do less damage the more times that you hit your opponent with them would actually be kinda interesting. Give the players more of a reason to mix up their styles during a match and also reward players who can get flexible with a combos system to come up with and learn more varied combinations.

I've actually always thought that a game that the moves (or combos) would do less damage the more times that you hit your opponent with them would actually be kinda interesting. Give the players more of a reason to mix up their styles during a match and also reward players who can get flexible with a combos system to come up with and learn more varied combinations.

DMC fighting game?

DMC fighting game?

Yeah, that was the basic idea. Seems like a good fit to me. Making players use more of a games moveset and combo potential is a good thing, but you also want them to play to win. So work on a system that satisfies both goals. Reward breadth and creativity over repetition.

Oh man he goes in on everybody

Gotta see this thread lol

Riposte

Skullgirls has beautiful art and animation. I could live without the panty shots, but I can also live with them.

Armor and invulnerability moves are already in place as "anti-spam".

Village

DMC fighting game?

I made a thread a long time ago about this

Would not mind if... i dunno Capcom made a Darkstalkers game and put DMC characters in it. A bunch of them, like cooperation that into dark stalkers as you incorporated final fight into SF. Maybe some RE characters too.

I think the aforementioned system mechanic would work, also the featured characters might get a dark stalkers game to actually sell.

Riposte

Crudely enforcing move variety like that, at least to that extent, is a very ugly solution to a problem that only matters when it is actually indicative to a much more fundamental problem.

notworksafe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98095151]Adding extra things to keep track of isn't the solution to attracting new players.[/QUOTE]

Making a fighting game isn't the way to attract new players :eek:

Mr. X

Went throughvthe VF5 dojo up to the point they wanted me to sidestep and then input F, F + G to stop an unavoidable attack. Is this something I need to care or worry about for a while? Unlike the other guard tutorials it seems wicked situational.

Highly necessary, do it every time you sidestep.

sidestep 33+G

If it is a failed sidestep, it makes a lot less punishable this way since you'll recover sooner than not doing it, crouch standing throw punishes, block mid and high attack punishes if done quickly

You'll still be in advantage if you do it when you do a successful sidestep

Dahbomb

DMC games don't actually have less damage on repeated moves...repeated moves just lower your Style gain (or even start going into negative).

In a fighting game that would be more similar to repeated moves not giving you as much meter... which IMO would be an appropriate solution.

But we aren't talking about combos.... we are talking about "spamming". As in throwing like 3 or more fireballs in a row.

Personally I don't like the concept on putting more limiters. There are no limiters in Tekken and that's because spamming gets you killed. Moves are balanced appropriately and you have a ton of ways to take care of them which applies to the whole cast. Spamming is more of a problem in the 2D games because some characters just don't have the tools to deal with certain types of spam. Like say Superman eye beam "spam" or Magneto Mag Blasts against certain characters.

I have a really silly idea for something along those lines. Confederate magical girls generated from a Japanese magician traveling the fields of the South during the civil war- but his spell botched and the seeds didn't generate until 150 years later.

Character designs would be American, so it's not your typical magical girls (one exception)
A magical Japanese Johnny Appleseed? Now I've heard it all. I'm assuming this game would have some witches.

Silky

Banned
I made a thread a long time ago about this

Would not mind if... i dunno Capcom made a Darkstalkers game and put DMC characters in it. A bunch of them, like cooperation that into dark stalkers as you incorporated final fight into SF. Maybe some RE characters too.

Darkstalkers, DMC, Ghosts N Goblins, Gargoyles, D&D, and Warzard all in one big fighting game.

Plus Akuma.

Riposte

Was Vampire inspired by YuYu Hakusho? The lore to that game reminds me a lot of the final arc, stupid powerlevels included.

Riposte

Putting "All Star" in your game's title is lazy as fuck and just makes for a worse name.

Fighting games need fewer mechanics, not more of them.

I'm going to say that is entirely depended on what those mechanics are. Characters and all of their components are mechanics, for starters.

Was Vampire inspired by YuYu Hakusho? The lore to that game reminds me a lot of the final arc, stupid powerlevels included.
I never looked up the anime's original air dates. How can an anime age so goddamn well? It loses a lot of steam after they enter the demon realm, but still. This is clearly the Vampire of the anime world.

Edit: It's getting off topic, but my mind is blown by the fact that Bebop was pre 2000. Japan deserves props for that one.

Silky

Banned
Why not just make a Capcom All Stars then?

Well I was going off by Village's theme, as the franchises listed does make enough sense to fit in one singular, consistent universe.

Like, Cyberbots/Star Gladiator/Captain Commando/Mega Man/Battle Circuit/Strider takes place in a futuristic setting. The games I listed fit in a 'dark fantasy' setting.

--

Capcom Fighting Jam sounds catchier than Capcom All Stars.

Riposte

If they want to make a MvC3 follow-up sans Marvel, they should just make it "Capcom vs." or "Capcom Versus" or something, as in "the next game in the vs. series / style of game".

Top Bottom