• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

chriskun

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";98095151]Adding extra things to keep track of isn't the solution to attracting new players.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I was about to say. If anything removing systems from games is the future, or making the systems passive somehow.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Went throughvthe VF5 dojo up to the point they wanted me to sidestep and then input F, F + G to stop an unavoidable attack. Is this something I need to care or worry about for a while? Unlike the other guard tutorials it seems wicked situational.
Don't worry about EDC until you're comfortable fuzzy guarding at medium disadvantage (-1 to -5) and sidestepping at -6 and up. It's more important that you learn when NOT to sidestep than how to make it safer IMO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wish Skullgirls had made the character designs something you wouldn't be embarrassed showing to an eight year old. Really like what they're exploring in gameplay, but feel like the art pushes too far in a direction that limits them.
Or someone of any age, really.

Putting "All Star" in your game's title is lazy as fuck and just makes for a worse name.
Can't be worse than a lone X in your title.

I wouldn't want Capcom Electric Boogaloo to be exactly the same mechanically as MvC3; I would just prefer characters to move and feel like they do in MvC3; in the air and on the ground, and shit, underwater if you have to.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Man the latest Excellent Adventures is so weird. Gootecks actually having fun and carrying the show while Mike Ross wallows in despair.

A lot of anime blur the line between regular ol' anime and hentai. Like sometimes its pretty hard to tell from a cover if its hentai or normal anime.

Even normal anime has way too much fan service and loli/moe crap these days. There are still genuinely good anime being made that avoid this bull shit but we are talking like maybe one out of a hundred per year.
I didn't know you watched anime back in the 1970's.

chriskun

Alright, if you were to make a fighting game with the intention of it being the next big thing how would you design said game? This includes artstyle, online modes, combat system ect.

Dahbomb

"Capcom's Finest" then.

Name is irrelevant as long as they can convey that it's a full Capcom roster fighting game.

Different versions of the same mechanic is dumb too. Two different roman cancels? Why
Yeah like Red focus... completely unnecessary IMO and the implementation looks lazy as fuck.

vocab

Alright, if you were to make a fighting game with the intention of it being the next big thing how would you design said game? This includes artstyle, online modes, combat system ect.

Better online
Better online
Better online.

You need an online system that is bigger than anything before it, and have the means to sustain it self.

Look at dota 2. Look at what that community workshop does. Look how that game is both profitable, but growing at the same time. Brings the fans in to make cosmetic content, fans vote for the cool stuff, and then the person who made that content can make money from something they put work into, and valve gets a cut. Valve puts that money back into the games features, and makes it better and better.

Also, someone needs to figure out how to integrate streaming of the events into this game. Or create a clever way to watch online events, and replays where its organized, and presented a way that makes sense, and keeps the player coming back. There needs to be an incentive to keep players and a way to bring in more players. Interesting game play, or more new content. I don't feel that the only incentive that should be there is to "get better at fighting games." It's not enough.

Silky

Banned

I'd just make it JoJo: Heritage For the Future 2 with the entire cast from ASB

notworksafe

Art - 3d models, 2d style, very clean and sharp. Bright colors and flashy super backgrounds

Online modes - Ranked (with no time limit/round changing allowed), Player match w/ 8 man lobbies and chat, SF4 Championship Mode, Private Tournament mode w/ support for 16 players, ability to spectate ranked matches or player rooms without taking up a spot, online training mode

Playstyle - 2d plane, smaller stages, easyish moveset ala SF (no KOF/MK inputs), back to block, one super meter which builds upon offensive actions and blocking attacks, fast character walk speed, high damage throws...

...Basically a gorgeous ST with the best online ever

chriskun

Better online
Better online
Better online.

You need an online system that is bigger than anything before it, and have the means to sustain it self.

This. I would like to see free cosmetic rewards for online as well, not payed. Something to reward the player for playing online other than a points system.

Different versions of the same mechanic is dumb too. Two different roman cancels? Why

One is for general use and costs half your bar. The other is move specific with strict timing and costs a quarter of your bar.

Both of them only matter if you're trying to play on a competitive level. What's the problem?

Clawww

Better online
Better online
Better online.

yup. look at Dota 2's online interface and structure. Would be perfect for fighting games. There's just so much you can do within the client. outside of the gameplay and design, a proper online hub that integrates and supports the community is something that could really help propel a new title.

ultra will get a warm reception as long as its basically SF4AE 2012 minus the vortex/unblockables.

The fact that its getting a tier shakeup will also interest people as well.

notworksafe

New(lol) characters in a game people actually want to play will help USF as well, in the FGC. Outside...I'm not as sure. If it gets a PS4/XBO port I think that would help because there's not a ton of fighters on those systems.

@Clawww - I think it really would do well. It's a simpler style game that and I think that would interest a lot of players of all skill levels.

I want to see a developer make SF2.

Not the SF2 we know from revisions, but the original developer intended version of SF2.

World Warrior speed and no combos.

Dahbomb

Capcom All Stars.

*Use a modified MVC3 engine only with the hitboxes/hurtboxes reworked to more traditional style (still use spheres for spherical moves like Stalking Flare or Buster). Graphics should be better but IMO you can just touch up that engine and put it at a higher resolution/better performance.

*Make it available on PC, Xbox One, PS4 as a priority. I guess theoretically they can make this cross gen to maximize profit.

*50 character roster. Port over the 25 Capcom characters in MVC3 plus some in TVC, update them and improve them then add more to round up to 50.

*3v3 game play with assists, DHCs all that jazz. Same control scheme as well.

*New mechanics would include custom assist from Skullgirls. Of course moves will be balanced around the idea that they could also be used as assists.

*X factor replaced by Dark Force/Instinct mode type activation. You still get the Roman cancel on activation but the mode gives you an ability based on the character. For some characters they are faster, have hyper armor, more damage, can teleport to replace their dash.... you get the idea.

*Modified hit stun/damage decay. Very aggressive scaling off of lights at the start, hit stun builds up faster. Only one OTG extension allowed per combo (like wall bounce/ground bounce).

*No TACs whatsoever. No mashable hypers. The way assists work to be slightly modified to avoid combo breaker situations and severe assist punishment.

*Extremely in-depth tutorial. Goes over all the mechanics including basic fighting game stuff. You are given pointers after every loss based on the stats (like if you were grabbed, counter hit, hit low or high and give you tips to improve). Combo trials should tell you if you did a move early or late.

*Vastly improved netcode and way more online features. Stuff like ranked, unranked team battle (online only every player controls one character), Lobbies, online training, Draft modes (where you can ban characters), Tournament & Event modes and Betting modes (you bet on matches as a spectator using in game currency).

*Online rankings and stats. Character usage, win percentages, player rankings by characters, common character pairings, character usage by slot, most used assists etc. In addition... you should be able to spectate random matches that are listed live based on player rank (sort of like what DOTA 2 does).

*Expanded Heroes and Herald mode. Cards can be grinded for by purchasing with in game currency or bought via microtransactions. New cards will come every month or so. H&H modes same as other modes plus can finally be played offline. There will also be an extra H&H mode where you draft cards based on what you get. Unlike MVC3 though this H&H mode would have 3 cards per character for even crazier combinations.

*Replay mode and hit box viewer WITH frame data is of course essential and should be staple in all fighting games going forward.

*Aggressive patches and support. New cards, costumes added each month to keep the game self funded (hell Capcom can run events and online tourneys for a fee). Balance patch every 6 month because the game is going to have a lot of variables to consider especially to keep H&H even some what playable. They can add new characters but not for a while, they should first fine tune the base product.

Among stuff like H&H cards, costumes/cosmetics and special event modes (like an Arena mode which costs you to enter) Capcom can keep the game monetized to help fund future patches for both balance and content purposes. You also add milestones for players to achieve which give them in game currency to buy these things so even if they are losing they are at least getting something.

Game should be offered in various bundles. Free to play version rotates 6 characters to choose from, 60 dollar version unlocks all characters (retail version).

Riposte

Speaking of which, Anarchy Reigns was a good lesson of how your should not structure your online (this is before getting into to netcode issues). Clunky, slow UI that eats up your time. Sloppy match-making with very limited options (can either search for all modes or one mode, e.g. you may get stuck with Deathball when you wanted one of the deathmatches) and no interface to pick from a selection of lobbies. No in-game joining. Too many isolated modes, that was then doubled thanks to ranked and non ranked. Terribly limited lobby system that also ate up your time (also nothing like matchmaking while in training mode or campaign). No spectator. Rooms didn't shuffle players after matches between randoms in team modes. Terrible party functionality. A leveling system that really required you to grind to get everything (including some of the best perks, though there were perk-less modes). Probably a ton more I'm forgetting, but w/e.

I hope Platinum learned some lessons for whenever they next make a multiplayer game.

EDIT: I'd rather if combo extenders weren't limited and instead 1) highly necessary for combos of any real length, 2) manually recovered by the player being combo'd, 3) such recovery can be baited for mix-ups (or perhaps countered by grabs and such, for not as much damage as a fresh combo). A newbie friendly X-Factor like mechanic (or at least one of them, with there being a selection) would be to make that recovery mechanic safe for a short time.

EDIT: Capcom making a crossover Anarchy Reigns-like (or Power Stone, if you must) game would probably make some waves. It can also have DOTA-like rulesets.

chriskun

Ok heres my game: combat system would be reminiscent of early VS. games, Guilty Gear and SFxTK. I'm talking chain combos, but also more difficult link combos that you can do greater damage with. There also would be a limited amount of air combos, but nothing too crazy ala GG or other games. Combos would not last for more than 6 to 7 hits, without super.
As far as meter goes,one super bar, no roman cancels/fadcs. Bar is divided into 4 segments, one segment does EX move, two super, and all does a more powered up super ala Mark of The Wolves. I feel like the gem system in SFxTK could have been really cool if it wasn't horribly balanced and way too obtuse, so I would implement a perk system ala COD. Just 3 perks to choose from: speed, damage or defense/vitality.
Art style would be semi-realistic near future setting. I'm thinking Humans/Cyborgs ala Deus X or Elysium. 2.5 D or extremely well done sprite work on the level of kof13.

I have a text document written up with my fighting game idea, but I didn't take into consideration mainstream success when writing it, I just thought of a game I wanted to play.

Dahbomb

Also, someone needs to figure out how to integrate streaming of the events into this game. Or create a clever way to watch online events, and replays where its organized, and presented a way that makes sense, and keeps the player coming back. There needs to be an incentive to keep players and a way to bring in more players. Interesting game play, or more new content. I don't feel that the only incentive that should be there is to "get better at fighting games." It's not enough.
You mean like DOTA 2 already does with allowing you to watch live matches within the game client and then download replays on demand?

Long story short... the first fighting game to copy even half the stuff that DOTA 2 is doing right now could blow up big.

Riposte

My idea, after hearing that LoL stuff about linking streams:

The background of the default training room is a monitor. On that monitor twitch/etc. streams can be played. In Capcom's case, they could get in contact with UltraChenTV, Maximilian, etc. to make some semi-compelling introductory content suited for the game.

Dahbomb

How do you do a courier with a fighting game.
You just give cosmetic options for stuff like:

*UI/Health bars
*Titles
*Selection of Menu music
*Backgrounds
*Different announcers
*Different taunt animations
*Colored auras

There is more to monetize than just costumes.

The background of the default training room is a monitor. On that monitor twitch/etc. streams can be played. In Capcom's case, they could get in contact with UltraChenTV, Maximilian, etc. to make some semi-compelling introductory content suited for the game.
This is a pretty damn good idea. Although they should just allow you to view any Twitch stream or play any video in the background. Like you could use this to play a combo video in the background and you try to mimic it.

notworksafe

My idea, after hearing that LoL stuff about linking streams:

This is a really good idea. Anything other than training room music (of any game) on loop forever.

just search hentai in the search bar for thread titles.

Oh man that thread.

For fighting game system idc really. Just don't have a crap load of moves like tekken and make it accessible to new people if it is in a series

Also online had to be godlike. I like the 5 frame buffer idea in arksys games. And god damn posting on a phone is tough

Saying how you would like the game to play and trying to build "but if.." clauses into every mechanic is how games get bloated and too needlessly complicated for people. I think a "new" fighting game that doesn't have the burden of appealing to existing fanbases (ie sequels) should only have maybe half a dozen main mechanics, and I think this was one of the keys to SF4's success. It's one thing I really appreciated about Anarchy Reigns -- it had really strong and really simple systems, instead of strictly dictating how the game should play with mechanical contrivances. That game had no responsibility to be balanced or competitively viable, however, and it showed.

And Valve's client and infrastructure work in DOTA2 is pretty much unachievable by ordinary developers, I think. Otherwise the SC2 and LoL clients wouldn't be as bad as they've been.

"Mechanics" is a vague concept.

With character choice, walking, jumping, blocking, normals, command normals, specials, different strengths of specials, throws, you already have mechanics.

What separates the "mechanics" that should be trimmed to make the game accessible versus things that are core to the gameplay experience?

Clawww

*UI/Health bars
*Titles
*Selection of Menu music
*Backgrounds
*Different announcers
*Colored auras

All good stuff. I'd even throw in custom training room stages. Subtle encouragement/celebration of hitting the lab. Also, uh, win poses. Custom backgrounds not just for menus, but within lobbies you host.

Custom particles could also be the big bucks...on that Golden Baby Rosh swag courrier shit. Rare-ass Arcana-tier yellow hadokens. Black shadow trails on the tatsus. Might get kinda ugly visually, though, so probably best to keep the effects subtle. You could get away with that stuff by not using color as a distinguishing feature of a move's property, and just go by animation/size/shape/sound instead, which is mostly the case anyways. I think Red Hado is the only fireball that this would affect, anyways.

Dahbomb

"Mechanics" is a vague concept.

With character choice, walking, jumping, blocking, normals, command normals, specials, different strengths of specials, throws, you already have mechanics.

What separates the "mechanics" that should be trimmed to make the game accessible versus things that are core to the gameplay experience?
Situational mechanics come to mind. Like Red focus... situational mechanic and does not make the game more accessible at all.

Custom particles could also be the big bucks...on that Golden Baby Rosh swag courrier shit. Rare-ass Arcana-tier yellow hadokens. Black shadow trails on the tatsus. Might get kinda ugly visually, though, so probably best to keep the effects subtle. You could get away with that stuff by not using color as a distinguishing feature of a move's property, and just go by size/shape/sound instead, which is mostly the case anyways. I think Red Hado is the only fireball that this would affect, anyways.
I am fine with this as long as tournament matches are done without different visual effects. Would be harder to react to if say you changed the colors and effects of the Buster shots so you didn't know what charge of Buster he had.

It's sort of like the Blanka costume dilemma. Little is fine but you know some cosmetic is going to go over board. Better to just have Tournament mode which disables this sort of stuff.

I am fine with this as long as tournament matches are done without different visual effects. Would be harder to react to if say you changed the colors and effects of the Buster shots so you didn't know what charge of Buster he had.

It's sort of like the Blanka costume dilemma. Little is fine but you know some cosmetic is going to go over board. Better to just have Tournament mode which disables this sort of stuff.

boo this man

If anything, we need the card system from arcades so I can see Justin Wong's custom costume go against Daigo's, and add a new level of strategy (fashion) to the competition.

Clawww

You could have like, unique cosmetics for top 8 finishers at tournaments or top 32 at EVO (and of course for 1st place etc.) to tie-in to the community. I'm gonna stop myself now before I get lost in the nerdgasm fan-fiction theory vortex.

And Valve's client and infrastructure work in DOTA2 is pretty much unachievable by ordinary developers, I think. Otherwise the SC2 and LoL clients wouldn't be as bad as they've been.

Definitely an extremely tall order, especially assuming console versions, and not something I expect anyone to really match--but at least some inspiration/ideas can be drawn from looking at it. I wonder how Hearthstone's client will look when they're done with it.

Shouta

*UI/Health bars
*Titles
*Selection of Menu music
*Backgrounds
*Different announcers
*Colored auras

Why helo thar Gundam DLC!

Dahbomb

You could have like, unique cosmetics for top 8 finishers at tournaments or top 32 at EVO (and of course for 1st place etc.) to tie-in to the community. I'm gonna stop myself now before I get lost in the nerdgasm fan-fiction theory vortex.
I bet your next idea is to have an EVO Compendium for a fighter.

vocab

I bet your next idea is to have an EVO Compendium for a fighter.

Put a fake incentive of like 5 million dollars of compendiums bought and we will put Karin into the game, and it will never be met!

Genius!

But the idea of having community dollars being thrown into the prize pot is the only way the scene instantly grows without much effort.

Top Bottom