• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

El Sloth

Banned
I mean- look at people's initial reactions to the look of the game on GAF:

Reactions like the above do not bode well for the success of a game! That the game managed to do reasonable well is a real testament to the dedication of the dev team and the fans of the game.
I've been exposed as a fraud! (Again!) Funnily enough, after that post I would eventually end up buying the game on two platforms, donating to the IGG campaign, and donating to breast cancer so it would be included in the proper EVO lineup.

I just love Peacock that much I guess. Definitely my favorite fighting game character.

So are the Lab Zero guys working on something new or are we just going to see them continue to fill those DLC slots for the next 2+ years?
DLC slots are gonna be full by the end of this year. God knows what happens after that. If someone offered the capital and Autumn gave the okay I don't see any reason why LZG wouldn't work on a full fledged sequel.

Personally I'd stop at Robo Fortune and save the big guns for the sequel with at least six new characters. That'd be nineteen characters. I'm gonna be old and crusty when I can finally get my hands on next gen SG and Baiken/Anji.

I think we can agree on the following, at least:
1) A game cannot be aesthetically repulsive to a huge swath of the potential fighting game audience and succeed. NRS games, while not your cup of tea or mine, and least meet some bare aesthetic minimum to do well financially speaking in the North American market.

2) Fighting games can fail (despite being mechanically sound) if they fuck something up badly enough (like if they are visually offputting enough, for instance.) Being 'not bad' at something is often good enough.

Yea, we're more or less in agreement about this. Being not bad is often good enough.

I guess what I've trying to get across are the following points, and you can tell me whether you agree or disagree with them:

-Often, new fighting game IPs fail to reach mainstream success (let's go by your 500k copies sold metric) and/or develop dedicated followings in the FGC (let's define by being played at a fair number of majors for a year or two after release with a decent number of entrants). I think that a huge portion of the time, this is because of their poor aesthetic appeal.

Yea, I'm not a believer of this at all. I've stated why, but I'll also add that visually it's really hard to get it wrong. You posted examples of people downing SG's artstyle, but for every person complaining about it, there's also someone out there that absolutely love's SG's style. A game having a divisive artstyle isn't the same as it having an unacceptably bad one.

-New fighting game IPs have failed to have success as defined by the above metric, and some people chalk this up to it being difficult/impossible to find success in the market if you're not an established IP. I believe that this is false (or at least very uncertain) because new IPs that have come out were predestined to fail for a variety of reasons (aesthetically and otherwise) and I believe success is very possible if you do it right (having the first page of a GAF thread about the game's announcement being 90% of the people bashing how the game looks is NOT the way to start)

Yea, I don't think it's impossible for a new IP to find success, though it will be difficult, but not for reasons that have anything to do with the game. I look at Lab Zero's struggles these past years and I see a common pattern as far as setbacks that have affected their level of success; If they had more money to work with, they'd be fine.

And honestly, for a niche game like Skullgirls, I think every thread on GAF, no matter how negative, had more of a positive effect than a negative one.

-Characters like the ones in the initial Skullgirls roster could be in the game and the game could see much bigger success IF the game had more character variety to appeal to different tastes (I'm sure people would've been much more open to the game if it launched with a larger roster that included Panzerfaust, Isaac, Stanley, etc. like SolarPowered mentioned, in addition to the female cast already present). Someone pointed out earlier in the thread that Juri wasn't very street fighter-ish, yet street fighter fans had no problem with her design and called them hypocritical. I say that the street fighter fans don't care because they have so many characters in the roster to choose from that they can already find some that suit their tastes, so if Juri isn't their cup of tea, it doesn't matter. If SF4 had launched with a dozen Juri-esque characters and no one else, there would've been an uproar. Wierdo unconventional characters are fine, but people need choices and some people like characters that aren't so 'out there.'

Yea, SG could have been off to a better start with a bigger roster, or even switching out two of the females for two of the guys from the supposed future roster.

I think SF4 could have easily launched with a dozen Juri-like characters (I'd honestly argue that all the newcomers are Juri-esque), as long as the original 12 from SF2 were there.

-Global success is difficult if you're overly focused on pleasing a single market. Anime fighters can't do shit outside Japan and NRS fighters can't do shit outside of NA.

I think both types of fighters could do reasonably well outside their native countries, but like you said, if you're only focused on your homeland they're obviously not going to gain any traction anywhere else.

One of the biggest reasons GG and BB aren't bigger competitively is because of Arc Sys's release schedule. That has nothing to do with the game itself.

-95% of the time (I throw around random percentages a lot, haha), you can see a new fighter failing to make major inroads a mile away and it's really puzzling how the devs don't seem to realize why until after the fact (if they ever acknowledge it's failings period!)

You can, but I imagine that a lot of times there's some things the devs just can't control. I think of SG's development cycle, KI's, Marvel's . . . sometimes, shit happens.

-People in the FGC care just as much about aesthetics and Joe Blow gamer.

I'm rambling now, so I'm going to stop. I'm not trying to hate on anybody's favorite game. I like marvel despite the many shitty things I put up with when I play it. I'm just trying to make sense of things.

Yea, I think everyone cares about aesthetics. My avatar is my character of choice in my preferred fighter from last(this) gen because of her style. As soon as I saw her I decided I'd main her. I also readily mention how much I hate NRS's artstyle. It matters, but not as much as you're giving it credit for.

Also, sales success and success in the FGC are two separate things. Marvel is the second, and sometimes the first, most popular competitive fighting game in America, but I don't think that's reflected in the sales. And I doubt if you only saw only the sales numbers you'd be able to guess it's popularity. What really matters is the fact that Capcom made it.

El Sloth

Banned
DLC slots are gonna be full by the end of this year. God knows what happens after that. If someone offered the capital and Autumn gave the okay I don't see any reason why LZG wouldn't work on a full fledged sequel.

Personally I'd stop at Robo Fortune and save the big guns for the sequel with at least six new characters. That'd be nineteen characters. I'm gonna be old and crusty when I can finally get my hands on next gen SG and Baiken/Anji.
I gotta assume they'll pursue non-FG related stuff before coming back to Skullgirls. As a sort of palette cleanser. Maybe that sidescrolling shooter Ahad made some concept art for.

Dahbomb

They needed at least 20 characters if they were going for the team mechanics.

I also feel like having a fighter in today's age with either an all female cast or an all male cast is detrimental regardless of artstyle. People need a character they find cool or look up to/be inspired from... The more types of characters you have the more appeal your game will have by default.

Seyavesh

ya'll are blaming a lot of things when the key factor ultimately for folks is "is it fun?".

i absolutely loathe how skullgirls feels and ultimately a lot of folks that i've talked to about it feel the same way. ultimately it came down to speed and pacing- the speed of the game did not feel 'right' and the flow/pacing of the game ultimately didn't appeal to most folks going off by the high hopes that got dashed pretty quickly whe nthe game came out.

it's been awhile since i've played it, but every single time i happen to catch it on stream (usually from being linked to one of the thursday streams for it) it ultimately seems similar, which is kinda bad. though it's also something to be expected since i guess they're building for their current community, who likes the game for what it is.

i'm actually pretty happy that the game got that kickstarter and all kinds of indie love and support because that kind of thing is always good, but it's always going to be a shame to me on how that game turned out.

i actually believe their solution to 'too few cast members to feature in a team game' is really interesting and gotta give big props for that experiment.

Beckx

Given the cost to make a character in a 2D fighting game, basically you're saying team 2D fighting games are the province of larger companies who can put more money into the project.

That's a real problem given the type of ROI that larger companies will want.

Aquashark

Banned
No one in skullgirls looked fun to me
this was the case for me too, until i played Cerebella. funnest grappler in a fighting game so far :D
Cerebella & the thorough tutorial sold the game for me.

after that i loosened up on the game and started to dig it, even the artstyle et all.

Kalamari

ya'll are blaming a lot of things when the key factor ultimately for folks is "is it fun?".

They won't know it's fun until they actually play it. When people are so turned off by a game's characters, many aren't even willing to give it a chance. Gamers are a finicky bunch.

Beckx

When talking about SG, are people using words like "atrocious" to mean they're offended/uncomfortable (which is a different issue than just bad art).

Because I don't see how you could be playing SFIV, SFxTK, Injustice or KI if bad art is a barrier. (SFIV isn't as big an eyeball offender as the other three though.)

alstein

If Lab zero makes a SG sequel, they should radically change the gameplay to bring it outside of its current audience.

I think a lot of the folks who love the art/music/aethestic of SG, aren't into MVC2-style gameplay.

Riposte

Mike Z is big into belt scroll games and I think he may have gone as far as to imply that's wants to make next.

EDIT: Are speed complaints post-patch? I wouldn't call the game slow relative to its contemporaries.

Seyavesh

If Lab zero makes a SG sequel, they should radically change the gameplay to bring it outside of its current audience.

I think a lot of the folks who love the art/music/aethestic of SG, aren't into MVC2-style gameplay.

i feel offended with that marvel 2 comparison. that's how much i loathe skullgirl's feel, haha. the pacing and speed are like complete opposites

i really feel like most folks who are fans of skullgirls really aren't in the competitive scene so it being limited to fighting games would definitely be bad- something more accessible to folks like a 'in-depth' beat 'em up or something would probably be more appealing from a marketing perspective.

from the developer side though it seems like they really wanna make their fighting game and i can't fault them for that at all

Busaiku

A lot of the people that like Skullgirls aren't fighting game fans.

El Sloth

Banned
this was the case for me too, until i played Cerebella. funnest grappler in a fighting game so far :D
Cerebella & the thorough tutorial sold the game for me.

after that i loosened up on the game and started to dig it, even the artstyle et all.
Cerebella is such a scary character to me. She has a run, a load of moves with superarmor, all sorts of grabs, and some real-ass damage. Good support character for Peacock though.

Painwheel also makes me brown my pants as she gets closer. I never guess right on her damn resets.
Because I don't see how you could be playing SFIV, SFxTK, Injustice or KI if bad art is a barrier. (SFIV isn't as big an eyeball offender as the other three though.)
Careful, or The Take Out Bandit will put you on his list.

Mike Z would sooner boil and eat his hair.

braves01

Banned
SG2 visual novel dating sim confirmed

Fixed that for you. ;-)

So true. I don't think KI is quite as bad as the other three, but that might just be next-gen bias. SFIV, however, is quite ugly to my eyes, though I'd say Injustice takes the cake because its art is not only ugly, but boring.

notworksafe

When talking about SG, are people using words like "atrocious" to mean they're offended/uncomfortable (which is a different issue than just bad art).

I don't know if I'd call Skullgirls art terrible (though I have before) but its definitely not for me. Though again, Peacock is the exception. I still enjoy playing the game though.

As far as SF4 I play it because it's the Street Fighter game that's out right now. Not too many other choices in that area. However the game is ugly as dogshit. :(

El Sloth

Banned
SGs story mode, along with BlazBlue's story mode and the others like it, are already basically visual novels (more like short stories in SGs case) with fighting game matches sprinkled in between.

El Sloth

Banned
Wouldn't it be Alex's decision though? I mean I doubt they'll change genres, but if they did, I'd think it'd be up to him.
I think we might be talking abput two different things. I was commenting on a hypothetical SG 2 fighting game playing radically different than it does now. I'd assume if they were gonna make a non-fighting game SG they simply wouldn't call it SG 2.

The SG universe is Alex's baby, so yeah I'd agree with you that'd probably be his decision.

Silky

Banned
Skullgirls is fun. I just don't really want to play it on my PC. My fighting games are on my PS3 so it's a matter of preference.

I do love using Peacock/Filia or Peacock/Fortune tho

Coda

Honestly I wasn't a huge fan of Skullgirls when I bought it, the two separate load times before just the title screen is not cool, but what's worse is the fact that it's a team fighter. It just doesn't make sense to make a game a team fighter if you only have a small roster. I loved playing Valentine and doing her combos but that's really it. It was like a polished game in terms of the fighting mechanics but the overall presentation could have used work.

I also feel like having a fighter in today's age with either an all female cast or an all male cast is detrimental regardless of artstyle. People need a character they find cool or look up to/be inspired from... The more types of characters you have the more appeal your game will have by default.
Twenty is a good number. Too bad that costs some serious cash (I imagine 20 character SG would be peanuts next to vanilla MvC3's budget).

Dahbomb

The similarities to MVC2 are superficial at best. Yeah you have invincible assists and shit but the pace isn't the same. MVC2 has shorter combos and a much bigger focus on super jump/air dash game play where as Skullgirls is more focused on the ground with longer combos.

And of course MVC2 had a roster of 50+ characters. There were more top tier/tournament viable characters in MVC2 than Skullgirls had total characters.

Given the cost to make a character in a 2D fighting game, basically you're saying team 2D fighting games are the province of larger companies who can put more money into the project.

That's a real problem given the type of ROI that larger companies will want.
If you want big money then you gotta put in the work and money up front. There is no short way around it.

And of course by 2D I am only talking about the game play style... not exactly hand drawn or sprite based. You can make an engine like the MVC3/GGXrd engine and still retain a 2D look/feel. Personally that is probably the way to go to keep costs low because hand drawn fighting games is just too much these days for both indies and big companies.

If you want big money then you gotta put in the work and money up front. There is no short way around it.

If you want big money as a business, you're going to invest that level of budget into something that isn't a fighting game at that point. The exception *is* if you have an established IP, which lowers the risk a lot.

That's the problem--if we're talking at the ideal level it's no longer objectively about making money.

Someone said "I can't see why it's a team game when it has so few characters".

SG is a small game with a tonne of variety thanks to ratios. Playing Solobella is a pretty different game to playing Bella + 2 assists.

The game probably is never going to be Melty Blood levels of character depth (25 characters, three moon phases per character) but given the limited resources it had in development it was an intelligent decision. Especially because new FG people want to play with only one character and build from that!

SG's only real problem is that people see a 90% female (previously 100% female) cast, associate the art with fanservice when the game really doesn't really use that card at all (RPS put it well - Skullgirls is "booby" and most people have to put up with it) and run for the hills. And it is damn hard to convince people to play it.

Infinite

Personally I always thought skull girls should have been more vampire savior/guilty gear than mvc2. Was not interested in using teams in that game.

Dahbomb

If you want big money as a business, you're going to invest that level of budget into something that isn't a fighting game at that point. The exception *is* if you have an established IP, which lowers the risk a lot.

That's the problem--if we're talking at the ideal level it's no longer objectively about making money.
That goes without saying... I am saying IF you were to make a team based fighting game then you need to put in the resources or forget about getting any profit back.

SG's only real problem is that people see a 90% female (previously 100% female) cast, associate the art with fanservice when the game really doesn't really use that card at all (RPS put it well - Skullgirls is "booby" and most people have to put up with it) and run for the hills. And it is damn hard to convince people to play it.
Real talk though... the game is fan service galore. There is a decent amount of unneeded panty shots in the game.

You guys taking our conversation and instead of adding to it, using it as a segway into what you did or didn't like about Skullgirls kills all motivation I had for finishing that post.

Asking if it's fun is just like asking if it's a good game. Neither of those things affect sales or even tourney support to the degree that you can call them a key factor.

And of course by 2D I am only talking about the game play style... not exactly hand drawn or sprite based. You can make an engine like the MVC3/GGXrd engine and still retain a 2D look/feel. Personally that is probably the way to go to keep costs low because hand drawn fighting games is just too much these days for both indies and big companies.

I'm pretty sure when we had that big thread about how much it costs to make a Skullgirls character, Ravidrath or someone else who would actually know said that whether you go 2D or 3D, it's going to be expensive.

The other thing to remember is that SG was relatively cheap to make compared to likely every other major fighting game on the market. Even other 2D fighters that don't look anywhere near as good SG does on a technical level cost way more than it did.

Top Bottom