• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 7-13 | EVO 2014: Putting Q in more games than Capcom

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
There are two reasons for this.

1) Very, VERY few people in the FGC are willing to become the teacher that it needs.

2) Most people that got good at fighting games did it through perseverence, self-study, and sometimes personal life problems. Many newcomers are not willing to do some or any of these things, and it becomes apparent the moment you tell them that they have to practice a lot.

This one hundred times. Newcomers I usually teach with my crew are excited to play Marvel and fool around with the game and ask how can they do the same things we do, as in combos. We tell them: "A lot of practice and perseverance. You won't be good at it until you ingrain the fundamentals down."

Only reason I'm decent at Marvel is cause I haven't stopped playing the game for 3 years. When I tell them that, they just get scared and walk away cause its too much work.

colinp

Banned
There are two reasons for this.

1) Very, VERY few people in the FGC are willing to become the teacher that it needs.

2) Most people that got good at fighting games did it through perseverence, self-study, and sometimes personal life problems. Many newcomers are not willing to do some or any of these things, and it becomes apparent the moment you tell them that they have to practice a lot.

I'm 32, I'm not looking to be a pro, in fact I don't really care if I get far beyond mere amateur. I doubt I'll even get 'good' according to your definition. I have other responsibilities and cannot, and do not want to, devote myself to fighting games, or any other games, but that doesn't mean I cannot enjoy learning about them and trying to understand them more. There's room for everyone.

Dahbomb

Like James Chen said, you don't need to be a top player or be a regular tournament entrant to be considered a fighting game fan.

Otherwise people who cheer for their sport teams at a bar wouldn't be considered sport fans....they would be called bar monsters or some shit.

Coda

Like James Chen said, you don't need to be a top player or be a regular tournament entrant to be considered a fighting game fan.

Otherwise people who cheer for their sport teams at a bar wouldn't be considered sport fans....they would be called bar monsters or some shit.

Basically what I'm gonna do, get drunk and watch top level fighting games. Better outcome than playing them while drunk.

Kimosabae

Banned

They'd be called Heat fans.

Revven

There used to be an amazing Melee tutorial youtube vid that was well produced and very entertaining that dropped a few years back - but I can't find it. I'll post it if I do.

Talking about Wak's Advanced How to Play or... MetalMusicMan's video that sorta explains what the similarities/differences are between Melee and Street Fighter?

colinp

Banned

Exactly!

Dahbomb

They'd be called Heat fans.
YBdAZA8.gif

I'm 32, I'm not looking to be a pro, in fact I don't really care if I get far beyond mere amateur. I doubt I'll even get 'good' according to your definition. I have other responsibilities and cannot, and do not want to, devote myself to fighting games, or any other games, but that doesn't mean I cannot enjoy learning about them and trying to understand them more. There's room for everyone.

You sound pretty much like me. I see the streams as entertainment, motivation to play.

Play with your friends, have fun, don't be afraid of being challenged. I see myself more of a weekend warrior or FGC fan than amateur looking to become a pro. Stay in school kids.

I actually make this distinction. I call them "sports spectators". It irritates me when someone says "I love football", but hasn't played it in decades.

Kimosabae

Banned
Talking about Wak's Advanced How to Play or... MetalMusicMan's video that sorta explains what the similarities/differences are between Melee and Street Fighter?

Yes, actually! I was thinking of both, but my mind had them conjoined into one video:

Street Fighter's Guide to Melee:

http://shoryuken.com/2013/04/02/the-street-fighters-guide-to-smash-bros-by-metalmusicman/

Advanced How to Play Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vckV2MJgBzo

Thanks Revven.

Bomb, if you only have time for one, watch the first.

L-cancel is another way of saying the landing lag of a move was canceled. In Smash, unlike most fighters, aerial moves often have recovery frames after you land. If you hit "L" right when you land, it cancels those recovery frames.

I think wave shine is just wave dashing + Fox's reflector.

Short hops are the same thing as they are in KoF and Mario games. If you press the jump button down in Smash (or hold up), then you do a big jump. If you tap it lightly, you do a short jump. Short hops are usually preferable because they let you cover the aerial aggression zone better than full jumps.

If you need any other definitions, let me know.

For some reason I completely forgot about this.

Time to practice Melee and use L-Cancels.

I actually make this distinction. I call them "sports spectators". It irritates me when someone says "I love football", but hasn't played it in decades.

WAT. What about kids that can tell me what defensive packages they use but are too young to play the game? You don't have to be a player to love a game.

Horseress

WAT. What about kids that can tell me what defensive packages they use but are too young to play the game? You don't have to be a player to love a game.

precisely, and you shouldn't get irritated for so little, it's not good for you

Kimosabae

Banned
I was considered an oddball back in the day when I told people I L-Cancelled with Z. I think it's grown in popularity nowadays, I still see canceling with L as the least ergonomic and fundamentally flawed.

colinp

Banned
You sound pretty much like me. I see the streams as entertainment, motivation to play.

Play with your friends, have fun, don't be afraid of being challenged. I see myself more of a weekend warrior or FGC fan than amateur looking to become a pro. Stay in school kids.

Yes! Let's be friends. ;)

Are you being facetious or are you really that stuck up? It's hard to tell on the internet and on GAF.

Revven

For some reason I completely forgot about this.

Time to practice Melee and use L-Cancels.

Get your SHFFLing down while you're at it -- might as well if you're going to practice L-canceling, the two go hand-in-hand.

Oh and you might want to get your stick warmed up for dashdancing if it isn't already. :p

Also people with a disability, people with an injury, those who do not live near any organised sports or feel uncomfortable or simply people who are too old to play...

I could go on, but that is probably enough.

Kimosabae

Banned
I would habitually flick the control stick back and forth as fast as I could for hours on end to train my wrist, during long road trips to Smash tournaments. God, those were the days. Where does the time go.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I gotta say, this EVO might be a once in a decade thing. We got a brand new update for Ultra with new characters. Its clunky as hell, pretty much anyone who can exploit the game the best at this point can win EVO if they have Daigo's godlike SF genes.

I have finally become Sent-Yam. A fusion of Sentinel and BakedYams. Not only am I free, but delicious as well!

Rhapsody

Banned
I was considered an oddball back in the day when I told people I L-Cancelled with Z. I think it's grown in popularity nowadays, I still see canceling with L as the least ergonomic and fundamentally flawed.

I do the same too. I just find it easier to be honest. Regardless if L/R doesn't need to be held down all the way.

L is my shield, R is my dodge to help WD OoS. Just seems easier to maximize things.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I do the same too. I just find it easier to be honest. Regardless if L/R doesn't need to be held down all the way.

L is my shield, R is my dodge to help WD OoS. Just seems easier to maximize things.

I should L-cancel with Z then. I find it really awkward since I'm not used to the soft L and R buttons for a gamecube since I just picked the game back up. Anyone got any solid advice on wave dashing? I'm picking up falcon and my short hopping is doing good, just gotta get timing and trajectory right, probably a DI issue.

Rhapsody

Banned
I should L-cancel with Z then. I find it really awkward since I'm not used to the soft L and R buttons for a gamecube since I just picked the game back up. Anyone got any solid advice on wave dashing? I'm picking up falcon and my short hopping is doing good, just gotta get timing and trajectory right, probably a DI issue.

I also kind of like using Z since you can't tech with Z. If you press L/R too early when trying to ground tech or tech against a wall, you get penalized for missing and have to wait longer. So if I got interrupted out of my aerial and got knocked into the cliff on Pokemon Stadium, I can still tech with L even though I pressed Z earlier.

As for WD, it depends on how well you're doing it now. If you're having issues with WD period, I suggest WDing straight down. You won't go anywhere, but you'll get used to the timing. Then once you're ready, just try to tilt the analog just below left/right to get a far wave dash. Once you feel comfortable with that, try WDing out of your shield.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I also kind of like using Z since you can't tech with Z. If you press L/R too early when trying to ground tech or tech against a wall, you get penalized for missing and have to wait longer. So if I got interrupted out of my aerial and got knocked into the cliff on Pokemon Stadium, I can still tech with L even though I pressed Z earlier.

As for WD, it depends on how well you're doing it now. If you're having issues with WD period, I suggest WDing straight down. You won't go anywhere, but you'll get used to the timing. Then once you're ready, just try to tilt the analog just below left/right to get a far wave dash. Once you feel comfortable with that, try WDing out of your shield.

You can WD out of your shield? Don't you have to sort of be in the air off by like a centimeter to then hold shield and the direction you want to WD? That honestly sounds new to me.

Also, I got wave dashing down pretty well. I guess next I should slightly move it to the left and right to get it down. I like how my falcon is progressing, such a heavy rush down character in the right hands, and flashy as hell, however I'm also have trouble with people DI'ing out of my grabs. Should I just read the DI or not go for down grabs?

Yams, somehow your avatar is more frightening.

I'm the final boss on NeoGAF. Once you defeat everyone, I appear as a hidden final boss. Dahbomb programmed my AI so you know I'm gonna be cheap.

Get your SHFFLing down while you're at it -- might as well if you're going to practice L-canceling, the two go hand-in-hand.

Oh and you might want to get your stick warmed up for dashdancing if it isn't already. :p

Eh, I'm just gonna go in with my 3 day Ness/Jiggs and hope for the best at this point, lol.

Rhapsody

Banned
You can WD out of your shield? Don't you have to sort of be in the air off by like a centimeter to then hold shield and the direction you want to WD? That honestly sounds new to me.

Also, I got wave dashing down pretty well. I guess next I should slightly move it to the left and right to get it down. I like how my falcon is progressing, such a heavy rush down character in the right hands, and flashy as hell, however I'm also have trouble with people DI'ing out of my grabs. Should I just read the DI or not go for down grabs?

Wave dashing is literally just air dodging into the ground. So what you're doing is jumping out of your shield and then air dodging. It's the same as wavedashing out of a shine. Its just jump canceling and then air dodging. In Melee there's a lot of JCing involved in techniques, you can treat it like how most other fighters treat JCing.

And what do you mean DIing out of your grabs? Like they DI so it's hard to combo after it?
It really depends on the matchup or how your opponent is. There's no right answer. You can choose to try and read their DI and go after them or you can consider them DIing a win since they're closer to the edge now. Or you could mix it up and go for a different grab so they DI the wrong way.

Top Bottom