• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 11-17

I-hate-u

Combo's team isn't Low tier. Spencer is top 10, Taskmaster could be argued for top 10 and is at worst top 15. She Hulk is the only weak character on his team but at worst she is still only Lower Mid.

Youd don't think his team is low tier compared to the top players? When everyone is using Vergil/Dorm/Doom/Morri/Spencer on point (better than Spencer anchor imo)/Magnu + Drones/ Wesker and Magneto anchors, I would say that his team falls behind the others.

Combo won over Chris G by his solid fundamentals. On paper, Taskmaster is the only character that can stand a chance against Chris's team imo

reading on twitter that Kotaku ran another FGC article but they took it down. I hope it's trolling but people on twitter said it's about Nerdjosh getting locked up. They must of thought it was something recent but apparently it happened a long time ago.

for weed?

Grecco

I think his point is that PR Rog is the most skilled Marvel player, but he doesn't win tournaments. Therefore, it must be tournament jitters that get to him, since he should otherwise be winning. I don't think it's a slam to Rog, I think it's an attempt to understand why he isn't winning like he should be.

He doesnt win because what hes been doing is essentially simplistic. Spencer basic bnb/ mixup to incoming character ect. Hes been figured out somewhat which is the reason why he went to wolverine/vergil/dante

Grecco

reading on twitter that Kotaku ran another FGC article but they took it down. I hope it's trolling but people on twitter said it's about Nerdjosh getting locked up. They must of thought it was something recent but apparently it happened a long time ago.

Ive been trying to find the article cached somewhere but cant find it but yeah i heard this too. Its an arrest for weed like 2 years ago?

I-hate-u

He doesnt win because what hes been doing is essentially simplistic. Spencer basic bnb/ mixup to incoming character ect. Hes been figured out somewhat which is the reason why he went to wolverine/vergil/dante

lol I am still amazed at PR Rog's ability to play a team of 3 point characters (Spencer/Wolvy/Wesker) with no assist covering any of them on the same team. Its a testament on how good he is. He is one of the most aggressive players I say he is a favorite in doing extremely well in CEO and EVO

Grecco

What does Nerdjosh going to jail have to do with the FGC ?

Beats me which is why i want to read the article i imagine it went something like Cross Assault 25k winner is a convcted felon, the FGC is proud of their criminal past/kotaku qoutes

Dahbomb

Youd don't think his team is low tier compared to the top players? When everyone is using Vergil/Dorm/Doom/Morri/Spencer on point (better than Spencer anchor imo)/Magnu + Drones/ Wesker and Magneto anchors, I would say that his team falls behind the others.

Combo won over Chris G by his solid fundamentals. On paper, Taskmaster is the only character that can stand a chance against Chris's team imo
That's funny you say that because it was She Hulk who was able to go through the bullet hell with her Air grab hyper because Morrigan can't fly cancel to avoid that. That was what made the difference in the match up. Spencer can handle bullet hell better than most characters because of his various angles of approaches.

I would actually consider this team on par with RayRay's team where the difference between the two teams is that 1 team uses 2 high/top tier characters with a Mid tier character and a few OK/good assists and the other team uses 1 high/top tier character with 2 Mid tier characters and a few great/top assists. Hell I would even compare it to Fanatiq's team.

People underestimate how many top players have Mid tier characters on their team, hell even Justin has Frank on his team anchor. Yeah Combo's team isn't as strong as something like Zero/Dante/Vergil or Spencer/Vergil/Magneto but those teams are considered to be two of the best teams in the game. I would rate Combo's team as High tier and he especially gets that spot because of the impeccable synergy that he has with that team.

Also playing characters that you are comfortable with and know how to play + have great synergy among them >>>> Playing some top tier team you saw someone else play with

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Watching Combofiend's She-Hulk was beautiful. He'd just jump out of setups. I think he played Masta CJ. Everyone always gets hit with the Dorm/Mag setup but Combo would just jump out.

Anyone else noticed that She Hulk's air grab is the perfect counter to morridoom because of the run cancel. She Hulk can escape the barrage of incoming misses.

Other characters can get air throws on morrigan but can't do anything after that because they have to block the missiles. Not She Hulk though....

Dahbomb

It really makes me wonder how Spider Man with good assists backing him up and great fundamentals/reads would do against Morrigan. Probably something to ask Killa Sasa about, don't know what his experience against MorriDoom is.

In that case you haven't been reading the papers a lot, because She Hulk could prove to be an extremely effective counter to Morrigan. She Hulk's air grab hyper is not something you can flight cancel out of.

Combofiend's team is team no frills, he dropped Nova and Hawkeye because he disliked their low health and wanted back the high health of his old team so that he wouldn't be randomed out. It's probably lower tier than what other top players use but Combofiend feels 100% comfortable with it and has been wrecking people up with that team. That's what which matters the most.

I-hate-u

That's funny you say that because it was She Hulk who was able to go through the bullet hell with her Air grab hyper because Morrigan can't fly cancel to avoid that. That was what made the difference in the match up. Spencer can handle bullet hell better than most characters because of his various angles of approaches.

I would actually consider this team on par with RayRay's team where the difference between the two teams is that 1 team uses 2 high/top tier characters with a Mid tier character and a few OK/good assists and the other team uses 1 high/top tier character with 2 Mid tier characters and a few great/top assists. Hell I would even compare it to Fanatiq's team.

People underestimate how many top players have Mid tier characters on their team, hell even Justin has Frank on his team anchor. Yeah Combo's team isn't as strong as something like Zero/Dante/Vergil or Spencer/Vergil/Magneto but those teams are considered to be two of the best teams in the game. I would rate Combo's team as High tier and he especially gets that spot because of the impeccable synergy that he has with that team.

Also playing characters that you are comfortable with and know how to play + have great synergy among them >>>> Playing some top tier team you saw someone else play with

I agree with you on the last point, but I still think that his team has bad matchups againts the top players. I think the next time Chris G and Combo play, Chris will have She-Hulk`s air grab counter in mind.

That being said, I agree with A Pretty Panda that Combo`s She-Hulk is beautiful to watch as she is a fun character to play. I understand why Combo felt his Nova team was boring/linear and that why he went with the green girl

jbug617

Banned
So did Spooky really quit?

J7y9R.png

I think it's more anger in what happened in the stream chat that weekend (complaining about other games and Ski). He did say his retirement is like Mayweather's and he expects to do more stuff next year.

Love watching Champ's zoning with Dorm....just needs to get his combos straight, but I guess you don't need advanced Dorm combos to win coughMastaCJcough.

Spacebar

I wish Spooky wouldn't put so much value into the stream monsters. He does a great job and I think if he ignored them he would have a lot less stress. I understand he tries his best to cater to his audience, but I don't think they will stop watching if he started ignoring them.

Azure J

HOLY SHIT THIS SETUP FOR CEO EAST V WEST, GET HYPE

Team West

Fanatiq
JWong
Combofiend
FChamp
PR Rog/Knives

Team East

Noel Brown
Yipes
MarlinPie
Chris G
-empty- (Considered: Masta CJ, Flocker, Dieminion & RayRay, thanks I-hate-u! :p)

For the love of everything though, let RayRay be on Team East! Run that shit back (again)!

I-hate-u

CEO 5v5:

WC:
Fanatiq
Jwong
FChamp
Combofiend
Knives or PR Rog

EC:
Noel
Yipes
Chris G
MarlinPie
Masta CJ or Flocker or Dieminion

EDIT: NOOOO late!!

So glad to see Champ back to Dormammu. It has been ages since I have gotten to watch a good Dormammu regularly on stream. It sucks when there's no one out there exploring your character for you to learn things from.

Love watching Champ's zoning with Dorm....just needs to get his combos straight, but I guess you don't need advanced Dorm combos to win coughMastaCJcough.
What do you mean "get his combos straight"?

Dorm is Sim in UMVC3?! Oh man, this is eye opening on how Champ plays Dorm.
Dormammu is nothing like Sim aside from being a zoner.

You guys already know CEO isn't going to settle this. Whoever lose at CEO will want a run back at EVO, and then whoever lose at EVO is going to want a run back at Season Beatings.

So basically we are going to get at least THREE WC vs EC 5v5.

Oh my bad wrong wording, I meant combos aside from abcs>bbcs>purifcation->Chaotic Flame.
Dormammu's more advanced combos are pretty risky for the benefit they offer. It's not like the difference between doing c.LMHS, sj.MMHS, qcf.AA with Magneto and his loops. It's like a 50K damage difference for a lot more work. I have been using Dormammu since day 1 of Vanilla and still do his most basic combo because it's just not worth the risk to do more. Notice that Champ does Dark Hole loops after TACing, and that's because it deals a lot more damage and is therefore worth the risk (I also do them for the same reason).

Top Bottom