• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 11-17

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No Viscant on Team West? Solid roster though, I can't argue the removal of any of those other players really, they deserve it.

reading on twitter that Kotaku ran another FGC article but they took it down. I hope it's trolling but people on twitter said it's about Nerdjosh getting locked up. They must of thought it was something recent but apparently it happened a long time ago.

for weed?

Ive been trying to find the article cached somewhere but cant find it but yeah i heard this too. Its an arrest for weed like 2 years ago?

Beats me which is why i want to read the article i imagine it went something like Cross Assault 25k winner is a convcted felon, the FGC is proud of their criminal past/kotaku qoutes

What does Nerdjosh going to jail have to do with the FGC ?

That was me who tweeted about it. I was actually able to get a screenshot of the article before it went down but didn't have time to post it cause I was at work, here you go: http://i.imgur.com/8v276.png

Dormammu's more advanced combos are pretty risky for the benefit they offer. It's not like the difference between doing c.LMHS, sj.MMHS, qcf.AA with Magneto and his loops. It's like a 50K damage difference for a lot more work. I have been using Dormammu since day 1 of Vanilla and still do his most basic combo because it's just not worth the risk to do more. Notice that Champ does Dark Hole loops after TACing, and that's because it deals a lot more damage and is therefore worth the risk (I also do them for the same reason).

Really, okay that makes sense I guess if Dorm's harder combos don't that much more dmg...but even the mmhs loop you can do after fingershot don't even seem that hard to do.

AND LOL AT CHAMP exposing Fanatiq.

Dahbomb

He claims he has Dorm on his new team and his new Morrigan counter team.

Fanatiq running a train through MarlinPie.

Really, okay I guess..but even the mmhs loop you can do after fingershot don't even seem that hard to do.

AND LOL AT CHAMP exposing Fanatiq.
Those aren't hard, but I don't see him not taking that opportunity - he did it in the corner once. Part of it is that Dormammu does over 600K with an ABC combo, so there's usually no reason to do more when combined with all the chip he probably did already at that point.

What kind of Dark Matter follow-up situation are you imagining Champ not putting in effort for?

He claims he has Dorm on his new team and his new Morrigan counter team.

Fanatiq running a train through MarlinPie.
God damn it. Evo is the one tournament of the year where I don't want my mains to do well, and they're popping up all over the place.

Dahbomb

LMAO MarlinPie perfected!

God damn it. Evo is the one tournament of the year where I don't want my mains to do well, and they're popping up all over the place.
HAHAHAHAHA... Dormammu is top tier and it's about time players incorporated him back into the meta game.

Those aren't hard, but I don't see him not taking that opportunity - he did it in the corner once. Part of it is that Dormammu does over 600K with an ABC combo, so there's usually no reason to do more when combined with all the chip he probably did already at that point.

What kind of Dark Matter follow-up situation are you imagining Champ not putting in effort for?

Oh okay my bad...I just thought Champ could be maximizing his dmg with Dorm, but thanks for clarifying why.

Well he can extend the damage by doing ADD down into H during a combo in the air. But what Karst said, Dorm really doesn't need to. Dorm with just the jump loops should be able to kill and if not, opponent is in a mix up as they rise.

Dahbomb

Noooooo! :-( The worst part is that everyone's going to be too stupid to recognize that Champ's Dormammu is only this effective because of how OP missiles are.
Just like they think Morrigan is OP because she's backed by missiles.

LMAO @ Fanatiq "God I hate Morrigan... Capcom please nerf her I don't want to figure out how to beat her!"

Damn.. I usually watch in highest quality but Cen's stream so bad I can't even watch on the lowest quality.

Thankfully Champ is there. I've watched FGTV enough to know that he really does know how to stream.

Just like they think Morrigan is OP because she's backed by missiles.

LMAO @ Fanatiq "God I hate Morrigan... Capcom please nerf her I don't want to figure out how to beat her!"
Haha, did he really say that? I watch streams with the sound off, so I miss all the commentary. Funny too, since his team has some good answers to her.

Stream is pretty much a slideshow for me :/

I watch everything on 240p usually too.
It's so bad.

Same here, I miss Spooky. :(
As the stream monsters say:
Spooby pls. :-(

Karst:

Just curious, why is it a bad thing if somebody does good with your mains at evo, or any tournament?

Does anybody else feel that way?

Karst:

Just curious, why is it a bad thing if somebody does good with your mains at evo, or any tournament?

Because you then get a lot of shit for it... or people say XXX character is overrated.

I've been using Zero since day 1 vanilla and yea I admit he was being slept on in vanilla but when Ultimate came around the amount of hate he got... ugh. Just rather annoying.

I would like for you to reintroduce yourselves with Phoenix/Shulk from vanilla. Now play Ultimate. Thank you for your time.

That is the fear. If Dorm gets too much play at Evo, he could be nerfed.

BiggNife

Karst:

I'm assuming it's because if a lot of people use a certain character then everyone gets used that matchup and figures out the tricks you need to know to beat that character

Look at Wesker, for example. He was EVERYWHERE for months, and while he still shows up, more and more people are dropping him because EVERYONE knows the Wesker matchup now. That's one of the big reasons why I don't use Wesker.

Dahbomb

Thank god FChamp admits that Phoenix is holding him back.

I would like for you to reintroduce yourselves with Phoenix/Shulk from vanilla. Now play Ultimate. Thank you for your time.

That is the fear. If Dorm gets too much play at Evo, he could be nerfed.
He isn't going to get TOO much play... all you Dorm players are getting too anxious. EVO is going to be filled with Weskers getting bodied, Vergil who will also mostly get bodied, Dooms (also get bodied but he will help other characters), Magneto, Spencer, Zero etc.

Karst:

It makes everyone beg for nerfs to the characters.

Look at 2011 Evo finals for this game:
Wesker/Haggar/Phoenix
vs.
Wolverine/Dante/Tron

Haggar and Tron both lost their invincible assists.
Wesker is kind of a mixed bag, but got some nerfs and some buffs.
Phoenix was torn to shreds, but is still good because XF3 Dark Phoenix is good.
Wolverine got huge nerfs to his dive kick and Berserker Slash.
Dante's damage went from 3 bars per combo being the standard to needing a reset to kill most of the time.

I'm not saying these aren't good changes, but people already whine about Morrigan and Dormammu a lot because they make you think about how to approach them safely. They're like Sentinel, they're unique characters that take some thought on how to beat. The average player does not like this, and wants everything good about them removed so everyone can just spam teleports backed by assists all day.

Evo is what everyone cites because everyone is there. Most other tournaments are missing someone to represent the game, and people hold back their best stuff for Evo. We saw a lot of new tech there that couldn't possibly have been discovered in the month before Evo. It's what everyone uses to determine how good characters are. If grand finals are F. Champ vs. ChrisG, I am seriously fucked because that's 2/3rds of my team getting represented.

I'm assuming it's because if a lot of people use a certain character then everyone gets used that matchup and figures out the tricks you need to know to beat that character

Look at Wesker, for example. He was EVERYWHERE for months, and while he still shows up, more and more people are dropping him because EVERYONE knows the Wesker matchup now. That's one of the big reasons why I don't use Wesker.
That's not it. I've spent a lot of time writing my Dormammu guide on SRK not just for Dormammu players, but so people can learn how to beat Dormammu. I don't want to win due to lack of matchup knowledge any more than I want to lose because of it. It holds you back from learning your character.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Karst:

Depends on how it's used. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing though. Like I use Hawkeye on point for zoning purposes, if someone wins Evo with Hawkeye as anchor it's nothing I'm particularly happy about since the character is used way different.

I guess it really depends on the character too. I'll be thrilled if someone wins with Thor no matter how he's used.

Top Bottom