• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

mbpm1

I... what?

Whoops

I meant, UltraChen are average commentators. Bc jchensor brings the duo down.

Jchensor is Marvel's Chun Li in terms of being paired with other commentators typically imo.

Sometimes passable but why not put someone else on.

jbug617

Banned
That phrase is a lot older than that match Fword commentated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO38IFrs9wU

I think that's nuki commentating? Don't know. All I know is that match inspired a small meme afterwards with a bunch of different remix videos.

I remember being linked to this video https://youtu.be/4bHjyc6DwTI before I knew about any of that shit or anything about fighting games or the competitive scenes around them and being completely fucking baffled

I think it was Gama no abura who said it

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Zhi is top notch when he's not perverted and awkward. He has a lot of knowledge. If only he would translate some of his interviews.

mbpm1

you like Zhi as a commentator?

Most of the time no tbh bc he's annoying as hail.

Especially while commentating solo he'd usually be below them. Ski is pretty bad as well unless his voice is gone bc then he slows down and chooses his words more.

fader

Most of the time no tbh bc he's annoying as hail.

Especially while commentating solo he'd be below them.

well I really don't know then. lol!

I just don't think a lot of people in the FGC know what a commentator is suppose to do.

UltraChen and Seth have the idea to a degree but still fail in a lot of aspects. Zhi fails at this whole-heartily and I don't listen to a lot of F-Word, so I can't comment on him.

ShinMaruku

I find the DOA balance really well done. For example the clones, they play NOTHING like Misty but yet they have her moves and her unsafeness, but how they work is completely different.

Shouta

Update on PutQinEvo Fund.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CaY-ivbUOZpjdHwDw0ZLATnMDIWTfNMfNbYwzWwBvEg/edit#gid=0

I've purchased the ticket for the guy (I'll refer to hereafter as P.T.) that will be with Q from his trip from Cali to Vegas and back. I also got him registered for Evo. There were only two day passes though so he won't have Sunday hall access but I might end up giving him my badge for Friday so he, Q and Engima can watch the finals.

I can always load it up on my phone and watch at the slot machines. >=D

I'll figure out how I'm going to deduct the expenses then send the rest to Q. I think that we should probably really help Beef out with the room as much as possible after we get the powered chair/scooter paid for. I'm thinking of recouping on the flights but the entire reg fee will be my donation.

Update on PutQinEvo Fund.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CaY-ivbUOZpjdHwDw0ZLATnMDIWTfNMfNbYwzWwBvEg/edit#gid=0

I've purchased the ticket for the guy (I'll refer to hereafter as P.T.) that will be with Q from his trip from Cali to Vegas and back. I also got him registered for Evo. There were only two day passes though so he won't have Sunday hall access but I might end up giving him my badge for Friday so he, Q and Engima can watch the finals.

I can always load it up on my phone and watch at the slot machines. >=D

I'll figure out how I'm going to deduct the expenses then send the rest to Q. I think that we should probably really help Beef out with the room as much as possible after we get the powered chair/scooter paid for. I'm thinking of recouping on the flights but the entire reg fee will be my donation.
I can chip in $20 for any additional expenses.

If I had the chance to travel more I would love to commentate everything.

When SF5 comes out I'll be making a big push for that and the sort of stuff the FGC needs. I'm getting used to thinking of "content production" as a part of my FG experience.

alstein

I haven't looked into it; how much is each character?

Shouta has praised it as VF-esque in its balance and mechanics, I believe.

I think it's $5 per.

Cheapest way to get in is prob PC version in a few days when it gets online (Tecmo's said they're going to hit that 6/30 date- not sure if I believe them or if it's any good, but would be nice if they do)

Missing two stages and some clothing damage isn't the end of the world.

When SF5 comes out I'll be making a big push for that and the sort of stuff the FGC needs. I'm getting used to thinking of "content production" as a part of my FG experience.

You do a good job with KOF stuff.

Grakl

Sounds good to me

Kalamari

UltraDavid is great and can work with anyone imo

James Chen is ass at commentating though

I don't get the dislike for Chen. I think he's an excellent commentator, he's got some bad puns every now and then but he is far more informative than commentators like Aris when it comes to details of a match.

kasane

I don't get the dislike for Chen. I think he's an excellent commentator, he's got some bad puns every now and then but he is far more informative than commentators like Aris when it comes to details of a match.

Well then zhi is the best commentator

because he actually talks about why x works with y and why thing doesnt work. I understand how people dislike the guy but the IMO when he is held in check he is legit the best commentator in street fighter

Onemic

Ive always liked James Chen. Pretty informative on a bunch of stuff. Not sure where the hate comes from tbh. UltraDavid and Seth are probably the best commentators overall though.

Well then zhi is the best commentator

because he actually talks about why x works with y and why thing doesnt work. I understand how people dislike the guy but the IMO when he is held in check he is legit the best commentator in street fighter

He is held in check like 5% of the time though. SEAM was one of the very rare occasions where he wasnt going crazy most of the time.

I think Spooky and Aris are the best multi-game commentators.
Yipes and Matrix are a great duo but that's specific to Marvel.
Zhi commentary is weird but I generally find him entertaining.
I'm not really a fan of James Chen's style but he's funny sometimes.
Skisonic is great for Marvel 2 and average for other games. I don't mind him.
JWong commentary is a real treat.

HabeeNo

Guys speaking of comentators, what happened to Dogface?

Was rewatching the 42K MM between Neo & Clockwork and his commentary is funny as hell lol

Rhapsody

Banned
I want Viscant to commentate on Marvel 3 again. Super informative whenever he commentates.

He always goes through thought processes of the player's decision of what went right/wrong. Also knows how to use the time to talk about what's the setup next whenever viewers see a long combo too.

Most Marvel matches are hard to watch unless it's a high profile one now. So hearing lots of OOH! everywhere doesn't really add anything from other people.

Shouta

James is the best commentator for a wide audience, really. You can say there are better people in various niches or games but it's really hard to beat James when you're targeting as many people as you can and in a variety of games as he's easily the most presentable in that role.

Nyoro SF

Zhi is my favorite commentator easily. His knowledge breadth is amazing on top of his no-limit humor.

Aris is definitely tied for Zhi with my favorite commentator. The way he can get insights into games that he doesn't even play is really impressive, his commentating flows well with the match and of course his humor is usually funny.

Chen's solid but his voice doesn't have the commentator's ring to it. Also sometimes he explains things for too long or too slowly. I'd rather have Chen than some random guy who can't control his hype well though.

Ultradavid is a great all-around commentator, no complaints.

Yipes is good but he needs a good, really fast and hype game behind him to pull off his best commentary. Since he's the hype voice you need a guy who can keep up on the technical side without interrupting him, which is pretty tough to do without someone who's a natural at it.

Spooky is another fantastic commentator. He knows how to keep the flow going on top of the knowledge he can provide. Spooky is a great example of showing how being able to talk quickly while commentating is important and that the technicalities of a move/system isn't as important as making sure whether or not people understand that a player in question is screwed or not. Probably the best all-around commentator.

Seth is a good commentator but he can lean too much on the knowledge sometimes, like Chen.

I don't have a natural commentator's voice and I get distracted by how amazing some players play, I give myself a failing grade

James is the best commentator for a wide audience, really. You can say there are better people in various niches or games but it's really hard to beat James when you're targeting as many people as you can and in a variety of games as he's easily the most presentable in that role.

I think Ultradavid fits that role better.

Puns aren't James Chen's flaw. That's a strength. His flaw is that he tends to belabor a point far too long for live commentary. So much that he will stick to his explanation and half a round will already be over. He also gets on too many rants for his personal view on fighting games, which isn't appropriate in his position.

And I wouldn't tier James high in terms of being informative. Zhi is an example of an informative commentator, for better or worse.

That has to do with his personality more than the content of his speech.

Top Bottom