• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

They showed it @ topanga now? Damn I missed it

yeah

CIRSxeoUEAAwCO9.jpg

Coda

I had a dream last night that Daigo just came over and sat down to dinner with some friends and I. It was super strange but also hilarious.

Onemic

I like no chip kills. Makes you work for your wins. Considering how offensive of a game SFV is, I dont think people will notice it much.

P4A had no chip kills and that shit didnt matter at all. Doesnt UNIEL have no chip kills as well?

Coda

I like no chip kills. Makes you work for your wins. Considering how offensive of a game SFV is, I dont think people will notice it much.

P4A had no chip kills and that shit didnt matter at all. Doesnt UNIEL have no chip kills as well?

I like it too, you can chip kill with a critical art though.

Kumubou

Every game French Bread has made (Melty Blood, Under Night In-Birth, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax) do not have chip death as a general rule. Honestly, it's fairly rare for an anime fighter to have it, not at least without a way to negate chip (like GG and BB).

BadWolf

Yeah and it also adds a layer of balance to the really high overall damage output and normals doing white health damage.

Dahbomb

I understand what you're saying too. Since the comeback mechanics in SFV don't seem as strong as they were in SFIV (damage/stun) for basic combos might be higher though) it might change how effective having no chip kills really are. It will encourage more intelligent play for sure, but I think it'll also spread the gap of top/good/bad players even more.

For example, when I played Justin in that set a while back, I noticed that his defence was ridiculous. Opening him up was one of the hardest tasks to do and I was using Elena the can-opener queen. Being able to close out matches with guaranteed chip gave me a solid option when he was in that territory. Now that I can't get that guaranteed chip and can't find a way to open him up.. :dahell:. Smart players won't hang themselves by jumping in or doing really unsafe moves. Would this promote more time-outs if both sides are waiting for the other to do something punishable to get that for sure hit?

Also, Koji/Alex Myers/Poongko confirmed for Evo
More ways that you can't scumbag a win over Justin GOAT Wong makes this mechanic godlike.

Deps

I like the no chip ko change. Some of the most exciting moments in SF are when players make comebacks by blocking well. There is nothing interesting about getting chipped out by a meaty ex dp/fireball. It might make for some lame matches, but at least right now SF5 rounds go by super fast thanks to the high damage/stun/chip from normals.

Anne

It's worth noting the design decision to not allow chip kills usually comes from the game having a way for characters to deal massive amounts of chip that can't be negated. Like in P4A or FB games, chip deaths would turn into giant ass blockstrings designed purely to kill you. In team games it probably gets a pass because it usually leads to a dead character rather than a lost round, but even Marvel 3 has a mechanic to prevent a complete loss from chip.

Guessing SFV looked like it might let you stack on chunks of chip pretty easily if that's the route they went with, or they were really overly committed to the idea of wanting to get the hit to kill.

Onemic

It's worth noting the design decision to not allow chip kills usually comes from the game having a way for characters to deal massive amounts of chip that can't be negated. Like in P4A or FB games, chip deaths would turn into giant ass blockstrings designed purely to kill you. In team games it probably gets a pass because it usually leads to a dead character rather than a lost round, but even Marvel 3 has a mechanic to prevent a complete loss from chip.

Guessing SFV looked like it might let you stack on chunks of chip pretty easily if that's the route they went with, or they were really overly committed to the idea of wanting to get the hit to kill.

Considering that normals deal chip damage now, that's probably the case. Otherwise youd get chip KO from a crouching mp, lmao.

Anne

Considering that normals deal chip damage now, that's probably the case. Otherwise youd get chip KO from a crouching mp, lmao.

Not even that, I'm willing to bet they're worried characters can just add to that by using V-Trigger or whatever mechanics to make true blockstring with like 5+ chip normals plus specials and super to just kill you if they really wanted to. The game seems pretty liberal with offense and chip so it wouldn't surprise me if this is a "just in case" type thing on top of there being added emphasis on chip.

BadWolf

Not even that, I'm willing to bet they're worried characters can just add to that by using V-Trigger or whatever mechanics to make true blockstring with like 5+ chip normals plus specials and super to just kill you if they really wanted to. The game seems pretty liberal with offense and chip so it wouldn't surprise me if this is a "just in case" type thing on top of there being added emphasis on chip.

V-Trigger builds pretty fast though when getting hit and blocking, you should be able to alpha counter out of anything too long.

Chip on normals is another thing I don't care for.

tbh I want the game to be too much like SF4 instead of a brand new game with brand new rules.

Again, the more people that buy/enjoy the game the better. Keeps the FGC going strong for the years to come.

Zissou

SF5 actually looks interesting- excited to see how it develops. Still hoping for some lame tho :(

Having mad fun with (mostly) online xrd atm and marvel locals every week- fighting games at a high point for me.

Anne

V-Trigger builds pretty fast though when getting hit and blocking, you should be able to alpha counter out of anything too long.

Still, I can only imagine a scenario where a character has some V trigger install where they do string > V trigger > string > some cancel bullshit, maybe with a special, who knows what the other v triggers will do > more strings and bullshit etc where if you lack an alpha counter you just die.

Plus some alpha counters might suck (pretty sure Birdie's is terribad) so there's that. It just seems like an insurance policy to let them get a little bit creative with offensive type options if they want to. Like maybe they want somebody to have Juri's U1 as a V-Trigger but not allow them to kill you with a blockstring, who the hell knows. At least they got the wiggle to do that and not have to worry about chip damage explosions ala Yang.

BadWolf

Still, I can only imagine a scenario where a character has some V trigger install where they do string > V trigger > string > some cancel bullshit, maybe with a special, who knows what the other v triggers will do > more strings and bullshit etc where if you lack an alpha counter you just die.

Plus some alpha counters might suck (pretty sure Birdie's is terribad) so there's that. It just seems like an insurance policy to let them get a little bit creative with offensive type options if they want to. Like maybe they want somebody to have Juri's U1 as a V-Trigger but not allow them to kill you with a blockstring, who the hell knows. At least they got the wiggle to do that and not have to worry about chip damage explosions ala Yang.

Fair enough but from the way V-Trigger builds I think alpha counters will be happening a lot, maybe too much even. Just getting thrown gets you half way or more towards getting one. Those long strings ain't happening with how it builds on block, and that's considering if V-Triggers like Ryu's and Chun Li's are safe on raw activation (which they don't seem to be).

As for Birdie's alpha counter, it can't be that bad since Tokido was able to avoid chip death when Daigo tried to do a Critical Art on wake-up to finish the match. The alpha counter went right through and Tokido won.

Eitherway, I do agree that no chip death seems like a good idea in general for this game.

It will encourage more intelligent play for sure, but I think it'll also spread the gap of top/good/bad players even more.

This is a complaint?

I agree that as a designer you want to have a game that actually ends by attacking and you want people to have fun without feeling outclassed, but a lot of that gets thrown out the window when you decide to make it competitive. Capcom is putting a lot of effort into making the competitive gamer happy with SFV.

And frankly, stuff like no chip kills aren't the things that turn away new and low-level players because their awareness of the game mechanics is so deficient. The only people it's going to infuriate are people that aren't willing to admit they're not good at the game, like people that whine about spamming throws and habdookens.

Or people like you who already know they're bad at the game but still feel entitled to a free win on occasion.

Now that I can't get that guaranteed chip and can't find a way to open him up.. :dahell:. Smart players won't hang themselves by jumping in or doing really unsafe moves.

:p

I still believe in the philosophy of having dumb stuff in a game. The more I look, the more I really hope the game will show different areas to play in SF5 than just the scramble mid or upclose battle.

Just explain a clean hit or throw is how you end the round. A lot of my rounds won are through chip kills :(

Funny how Mago used one of the best character in terms of having a chip damage sequence/gameplan won last week.

Zissou

I thought chip kills created interesting tense situations. Once you know you can't block anything that chips anymore, you're in this eternal scramble of trying to avoid every last thing while trying to mount a comeback. If you manage it, it's hype as hell.

Negaduck

I haven't watched too much sf5 play outside the e3 stuff, is it possible to do psycho ball, ex or regular and then do a devils reverse in v trigger with bipson?

As a Sim player I was sad I didn't see the side swap shenanigans.

I haven't watched too much sf5 play outside the e3 stuff, is it possible to do psycho ball, ex or regular and then do a devils reverse in v trigger with bipson?

As a Sim player I was sad I didn't see the side swap shenanigans.

Yeah you can do that. You can also Bison ball, v trigger if the opponent jumps and anti air them/dash or dash under/devils reverse/headstomp/Critical art them. V trigger is like angry scar where it gives you more time to react.

Negaduck

Yeah you can do that. You can also Bison ball, v trigger if the opponent jumps and anti air them/dash or dash under/devils reverse/headstomp/Critical art them. V trigger is like angry scar where it gives you more time to react.

Badass. I was thinking that was possible but didn't see anyone doing it. Or maybe I overlooked that.

cheesekao

Badass. I was thinking that was possible but didn't see anyone doing it. Or maybe I overlooked that.
You may or may not know this but Bison's V-trigger removes charge(or at least the charge from ex specials) and he can instantly perform specials but he can't use the same special twice in a row without charge.

Beckx

Well it works out because we are planning a family trip next year to Japan.

Yep! I don't know what a good tool/resource for an old guy like me to learn so I can navigate the country.

Tofugu.com is a good starting place for resources - they review everything available - and they run a resource for learning the written language, wanikani.com.

The community thread on Gaf has a lot of resources as well.

I am studying on my own and having a blast (and either me or gutabo is the oldest here so). I am using Genki for vocab/grammar/etc. and Heisig's books for learning the Kanji. Once I have the kanji memorized I'll switch to wanikani to learn the readings.

Planning on taking either JLPT 5 or 4 in December this year just to have a goal. Next year if I can keep this pace I'd like to take the December JLPT 3. That's a lot of vocabulary though.

kirblar

I thought chip kills created interesting tense situations. Once you know you can't block anything that chips anymore, you're in this eternal scramble of trying to avoid every last thing while trying to mount a comeback. If you manage it, it's hype as hell.
The next time they go back to a SF2/4 zoning-style game I'd expect to see chip kills back for that exact reason.

Everything in SF5 is designed to promote the sort of rushdown style 3S had - removing full-screen chip kills is 100% part of that.

mbpm1

You may or may not know this but Bison's V-trigger removes charge(or at least the charge from ex specials) and he can instantly perform specials but he can't use the same special twice in a row without charge.
I heard that was a rumour. Combofiend said it was iirc

Negaduck

I heard v trigger greatly reduced the charge time but wasn't sure how much it reduced it. I heard that across the board charge times were being reduced

Tofugu.com is a good starting place for resources - they review everything available - and they run a resource for learning the written language, wanikani.com.

The community thread on Gaf has a lot of resources as well.

I am studying on my own and having a blast (and either me or gutabo is the oldest here so). I am using Genki for vocab/grammar/etc. and Heisig's books for learning the Kanji. Once I have the kanji memorized I'll switch to wanikani to learn the readings.

Planning on taking either JLPT 5 or 4 in December this year just to have a goal. Next year if I can keep this pace I'd like to take the December JLPT 3. That's a lot of vocabulary though.

I might be older.
Yeah Tofugu looks interesting though my interest in Japan is food/architecture/game development related. I might have to pull some strings to see if I can visit a development studio.
My daughter is learning Hiragana right now and can count to 100?
She memorized almost all of it and is now reading flash cards of objects.
I can barely keep up.

1423623716535jvu10.png

alstein

You can't get chip killed from Full Health- unless you're playing marvel or Toshinden 2.

I don't mind chip kills for that reason- they only work at very low health.

Kills from Alpha Counters do bug me- Just play vs A2 Ken to see why. I don't like 98's CD counters for that reason- 5 stocks of CD countes= 25% damage, and given how throw breaking works in that, it can make comebacks impossible for some chars (AG makes it worse)- it's the biggest flaw in 98 series.

The point that LIJoe made on that cross counter recap sort of makes sense to me. No chip kills is this game's comeback mechanic, but it doesn't necessarily provide the losing player with any sort of advantage, it just means you still have a chance if you play perfectly.

vulva

You still need charge for the initial special

Azure J

Oh, OK. It was just that Elph roll that freaked me out. And I know some of the people I'll play will use her >.<

Thanks, love.

Elph roll is evil, but it's peanuts. Think more evil. Think Ky.

Kusoge OS Stun Dipper.

I've been in the Splatoon vortex for too long. What's going on with Xrd OSes now? And why is this busted?

*eagerly awaits an answer that will have him cracking up a la Q breaking down YRC Bacchus Sigh*

Sayad

I didn't like it, until I realized that as a comeback mechanic, it's much better than both X-Factor and Ultras.

Top Bottom