• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

Anne

I really hope UNIST addresses the problems of offense being super nuts and "my turn" being the defining factor.

No more "you kneel" please.

OceanBlue

It's been over a year since the JP version of UNIEL came out for consoles, and arcades are just now getting Byakuya and Nanase lol. I guess we now know what the real ST of anime games is. :V

OceanBlue

Whip girl? Sounds like another character with gigantic normals

uniel-st-phonon-3.jpg

Anne

Her bio is also a bunch of stuff about her being super uptight and sadistic to go along with the aesthetic. She's perfect waifu bait for the fanbase, twitter has taken to her already.

Is there a hitbox viewer?

Shhhh we don't talk about those kinds of things anymore.

Kumubou

I really hope UNIST addresses the problems of offense being super nuts and "my turn" being the defining factor.

No more "you kneel" please.
When has a French Bread game not had pressure that's over the top? DBFC is a bit more subdued, but that's mainly because the game has a pushblock mechanic and you can't rebeat without having your trump activated.

That and being able to use VO as a cancel sounds like it's just going to lead to some really silly combos, but who knows what other adjustments they made.

Is there a hitbox viewer?
That's about as taboo to talk about here as Vita games.

Anne

When has a French Bread game not had pressure that's over the top? DBFC is a bit more subdued, but that's mainly because the game has a pushblock mechanic and you can't rebeat without having your trump activated.

Well, we never quite got to the "my pressure is my mix up is my OS that beats all your options" levels of Melty at least. Wouldn't hurt to at least deal with the oppression in more interesting ways.

Veil off mid combo is whatever tbh. A lot of the better characters do it (better) already and it's still a resource hog.

Kimosabae

Banned
Let's be fair, NOBODY knows how to make them more popular.

I don't know if I agree with this. I think we've been able to identify some of the genre's core problems for a while - a perception of obtuseness and too much focus on 1v1 competitiveness. Now, resources in regards to time and energy simply need to be deployed in an attempt to address them.

Part of the problem with addressing them is the modern era of development. Research and Development costs way more money today than it did 20 years ago. A game development studio seems to have become less a breeding ground of various prototypes of ideas that may or may not come to fruition and more a streamlined arm of a matured industry - unless you go mobile (which will also meet this fate once that industry matures). There's little room for some Sakurai to fiddle around with a pet prototype in the back of the studio, unnoticed, because every human being in the office has to be hands-on for the next AAA project that needs to sell 2 million + copies to keep the bloated publisher/developer afloat.

An anachronism like the Fighting Game genre suffers from this, because now, instead of potentially sitting on new ideas that could possibly blossom into the next Smash Bros, or something more interesting than MK9/10's Story Mode that you can append to your next Street Fighter game to address casual interests - you're forced to refine what you already know and hope you can find a way for the casual market to bite after the fact. You can't fundamentally address the problem because you have to make a new game to drive enough revenue to keep the lights on. The breathing space doesn't exist. So in 2016 we'll still be playing fighting games at EVO that were developed with arcade cabinets in mind and still have to deal with petty inconsistencies like pad malfunctions which will serve to remind us how fucking prehistoric this genre is.

This is especially made difficult by modest/unstable nature of the publishers/developers that currently make and distribute FGs. Mostly Japanese developers with relatively little money to innovate or market their games. Ed Boon has Warner Bros. money, so he can develop quality single player content for casual interests, can adopt an idea like World Tekken Federation for MKX and make it sustainable and he can market it to people. Convince people it's worth investing their time and money in.

If more established developers - particularly western developers - were interested in FGs, we probably wouldn't have these issues. Of course, the landscape would look completely different, but I think ultimately, the types of FGs we squarely enjoy in this thread would still be made, because the overall market would be larger.

The genre ipso facto is just such a product of older times in so many different ways, that sometimes think it would take Valve announcing a FG at E3 for the genre to see any progress at all.

El Sloth

Banned
Well, we never quite got to the "my pressure is my mix up is my OS that beats all your options" levels of Melty at least. Wouldn't hurt to at least deal with the oppression in more interesting ways.

Veil off mid combo is whatever tbh. A lot of the better characters do it (better) already and it's still a resource hog.
What would you personally like to see them do to? In minimizing how oppressive pressure can be, I mean. I think it'd interesting if regular non-vorpal alpha counters didn't trigger a GRD crush. Sacrifice all your meter and, say, a block or two of GRD instead.

I bet the new veil off will be nice for fancy combo videos at least!

qcf x2

Let's be fair, NOBODY knows how to make them more popular.

Because there's no one feature you can home in on, there's a lot that needs to be done, and that likely requires a lot of financing. My two cents:

MK gets the story/single player part right, KI gets the training and flashy presentation right, Tekken and SNK fighters (almost) get the cultural diversity part right, Capcom (almost) gets the gameplay part right, nobody really gets the online right (ArcSys is closest, I guess). I think there's a massive audience, it's just going to be fragmented until someone finally looks at what the competition does right and adds that to whatever they're already doing right. Then there will be a megahit, and the other devs will up their game in response.

Anne

What would you personally like to see them do to? In minimizing how oppressive pressure can be, I mean. I think it'd interesting if regular non-vorpal alpha counters didn't trigger a GRD crush. Sacrifice all your meter and, say, a block or two of GRD instead.

I bet the new veil off will be nice for fancy combo videos at least!

A lot of it comes down to char design. Some characters just generate too much blockstun off normals they can cram into different things (Hilda Carmine) and I have no idea what to do about that other than change how some of their tools work. Some things are simple, like Linne's kuuga being +infinity on block, or how Hyde's 5[C] strings work. Some things in general are how easy it is for ranged pressure to catch you from big ass limbs (Merkava) and turn into something, and some chars don't have tools to deal with it. The big limbs in general turning into so much shit for some chars is kind of helping too, you can get oppressed out of neutral by Merkava or Yuzu or somebody turning an advantageous neutral situation into something you can't really answer.

I don't have a good catch all solution or universal change, I just feel like those interactions are a major contention point for the game. This was a pretty common complaint in Japan and led to the jokes, and over here it never got to that point outside a few players.

I want to express it's not just pressure, it's an over arching theme of the game of "take advantage > holy fuck 1P time for a minute" even out of some neutral spots.

Also fighting game characters should never be roulette wheels, Gord was a mistake.

Lol this video is pretty funny. Streamer lost got mad salty meanwhile the other player just wanted the streamer to get on mic from the start, Streamer clearly has one but was using it to stream talk instead. This is just a really funny scenario, player on the mic got more laughs from me than the streamer. Gotta have that two mic setup or else things like this happen.

NEO0MJ

It's okay! I'm a nobody in this thread. I'm going to Toryuken too, but I didn't bother saying anything because no one would care. XD

You guys make me so sad ;_;

I don't know if someone else wrote it here but MKX sold 1.25 million copies in his first month in the US only. MK9 did 900k in the same period of time.

Wow. It also sold around 230k on PC according to Steamspy so I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded 2 million worldwide.

I thought you said that Xrd was going to outsell Smash Bros Wii u

Something something broken clock something something.

Clawww

I don't know if I agree with this. I think we've been able to identify some of the genre's core problems for a while - a perception of obtuseness and too much focus on 1v1 competitiveness. Now, resources in regards to time and energy simply need to be deployed in an attempt to address them.

Part of the problem with addressing them is the modern era of development. Research and Development costs way more money today than it did 20 years ago. A game development studio seems to have become less a breeding ground of various prototypes of ideas that may or may not come to fruition and more a streamlined arm of a matured industry - unless you go mobile (which will also meet this fate once that industry matures). There's little room for some Sakurai to fiddle around with a pet prototype in the back of the studio, unnoticed, because every human being in the office has to be hands-on for the next AAA project that needs to sell 2 million + copies to keep the bloated publisher/developer afloat.

An anachronism like the Fighting Game genre suffers from this, because now, instead of potentially sitting on new ideas that could possibly blossom into the next Smash Bros, or something more interesting than MK9/10's Story Mode that you can append to your next Street Fighter game to address casual interests - you're forced to refine what you already know and hope you can find a way for the casual market to bite after the fact. You can't fundamentally address the problem because you have to make a new game to drive enough revenue to keep the lights on. The breathing space doesn't exist. So in 2016 we'll still be playing fighting games at EVO that were developed with arcade cabinets in mind and still have to deal with petty inconsistencies like pad malfunctions which will serve to remind us how fucking prehistoric this genre is.

This is especially made difficult by modest/unstable nature of the publishers/developers that currently make and distribute FGs. Mostly Japanese developers with relatively little money to innovate or market their games. Ed Boon has Warner Bros. money, so he can develop quality single player content for casual interests, can adopt an idea like World Tekken Federation for MKX and make it sustainable and he can market it to people. Convince people it's worth investing their time and money in.

If more established developers - particularly western developers - were interested in FGs, we probably wouldn't have these issues. Of course, the landscape would look completely different, but I think ultimately, the types of FGs we squarely enjoy in this thread would still be made, because the overall market would be larger.

The genre ipso facto is just such a product of older times in so many different ways, that sometimes think it would take Valve announcing a FG at E3 for the genre to see any progress at all.

Good post. I like to imagine what Vale or Blizzard might come up with if making a fighting game from scratch because I figure it would at least challenge certain conventions or expand on them in legitimately novel ways. The core gameplay features are really something that have barely been experimented on. You might end up with something quite far removed from the originals, but there's no reason they couldn't end up being great games in their own right and capture some of the magic of fighting games. Hell even just bringing matchmaking and cosmetics and profile/community-building and whatnot up to modern standards would definitely broaden the appeal or keep more people interested.

fader

how would you address fighting games focus on 1v1 without enraging the current community? Because lets be honest, hardcore fighting game fans aren't really the most accepting of new ideas.

ShinMaruku

Because there's no one feature you can home in on, there's a lot that needs to be done, and that likely requires a lot of financing. My two cents:

MK gets the story/single player part right, KI gets the training and flashy presentation right, Tekken and SNK fighters (almost) get the cultural diversity part right, Capcom (almost) gets the gameplay part right, nobody really gets the online right (ArcSys is closest, I guess). I think there's a massive audience, it's just going to be fragmented until someone finally looks at what the competition does right and adds that to whatever they're already doing right. Then there will be a megahit, and the other devs will up their game in response.
If there is a megahit, like all other megahits there will be too much knock offs and only 2-3 will thrive
Kinda like now. :p

Eventually the AAA dream will collapse because it's unsustainable. That said I don't think fighting games really struggle from that specifically because they are not made by Western Developers by and large.

I also would NEVER play a Blizzard made fighting game, I spent too much time playing their games, I know what makes them tick, if they made a fighting game people would hate the living shit outta it. That said the stress of balance in a fighting game the fact that they are against some real legacy players will make sure those fucks never enter this space. They can take their rng loving asses to hell.

As to budgeting and marketing Capcom has a great deal with Adam Boyes, you seen the turn around his company has made in the marketing part and sales I think if Capcom reached out for enough they could get good promotion.

I think really the main issue with fighting games is the player pool, Lets take DOTA2 for example, that game is hard as hell, but since it's massive there is enough people for the skill curve to be relatively smooth so when a beginning comes in they will have to deal with less matches where they get destroyed. That would ease off the frustration factor. You need to keep frustration to a minimum if you want a decent pool of players.

Next issue is how do you teach people who to play? We have many different models but it looks like none of these fuckers share notes or take heed in what the others do. That is a problem. Ideally story mode could be implemented somewhat like how MKX and DOA5 had it where you get a story, you play different styles and you are put in challenges to progress, we just have to get more granular and set up a pace where people can learn in story mode, put some great unlockables in there too, like costumes or skins or some shit to egg on people to do the challenges and take on story mode in a more advanced setting where more skills are put up to you. Issue is how do you do that, is there enough time to make something like that?

Best example I seen take this method is a mix of a beat-em up rpg with fighting games called DFO.

DFO has a great pvp system as well and has tourneys in Korea, their devs are fighting game fans given that you can play the game on stick and the different skills have a fighting game like input system. They prepared players for the more advanced stuff by staggering out skill growth, they give you a few spells to start out with, as you level you are given time to familiarize yourself with the few spells you got.

Then as you level more skills are given and it's added to your skill set also giving you time to learn those skills and so on and so forth. That progression gives people time to learn all the skills and by the time they have most of their stuff together the game ratchets up the difficulty and makes you use the skills that you have built up to progress. Something like that should be put into a story mode with modifications of course to fit a fighting game.

However I have no faith that ANY developer west or east will endavor in that aspect.

Anne

how would you address fighting games focus on 1v1 without enraging the current community? Because lets be honest, hardcore fighting game fans aren't really the most accepting of new ideas.

Keep the gameplay 1v1, make some type of team format or group engagement acticity for online. I was musing about how many people I know play LoL/CoD/Etc because it requires 5 people a team, so their friends rope them into it so they have people to queue with and share the experience socially.

FGs don't really have anything similar. Outside of Japan team format is never a popular or actual tournament, and online systems for FGs all suck and don't try to make social experiences.

Kimosabae

Banned
fader's right. FG's have plenty of examples of great FGs that could have blossomed into amazing team games such as SFxT, MK9 and TTT2. But the competitive communities never embrace them, not understanding how much of a casual draw a team based tournament can be even as a side event. Smash scene, again, is a perfect example. A lot of people don't give two shits about singles. They go for the fun doubles provides and dip. If you're mediocre at a FG, or just casually invested in a game's competitive scene, going to a doubles event where someone can carry you or be mediocre alongside you is really fun.

I know, because I've been that dude, lol

ShinMaruku

There is alsoa big issue with making something team based. Why you think DOTA2,LoL and maybe CS have such horrid communitys? It's partly form the team format.

Just wait till indies fill the need for a fighter. I really think there are people with binders of info to build their own FG. The issue is actually finding a proper engine or practicality/profitability of making a new fighter. If you build it, maybe they will come.

Top Bottom