• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

vulva

Man, I kinda don't want to go to toryuken. I haven't had a chance to just relax in weeks. I'd rather just take the days off at this point I think. I'll still go, just bitching

fader

god you guys are acting like headlining Saturday is a virus that nobody wants... I don't see anything wrong with Marvel headlining Saturday it would be good to have something hype on Saturday night.

What if TxSF was scrapped in favor of TxGG?

-_-

jbug617

Banned
The KI pot bonuses for EVO, CEO and Combo Breaker news is already up on Killer Instinct. First thing you see when you start the game.

phaonaut

Marvel and Melee on Sat. would be awesome, the kings of hype back to back. Sat. would end with a bang instead of just pools matches.

Marvel and Melee on Sat. would be awesome, the kings of hype back to back. Sat. would end with a bang instead of just pools matches.

And so it shall be done!

iewhfZyPaKSa8.gif

DunpealD

I think one of the Smash games taking up main stage on Sat night would be good. I know Sunday is important at Evo but Sat is great and we just don't have that much time to get everything done.

Ideal Sunday schedule for me would be GGXrd, Tekken 7, MKX, Smash 4 or Melee, and USF4.

I'd love Persona on Sunday but lol that's not happening. =(

While we are talking about scheduling. USF4 being dead last at majors is a major inconvenience in Europe. For example Texas showdown ended Monday 5am GMT, same with EVO every time but even later. It would be great if there is middle ground to be found :/, like Dota 2's The International in terms of time slot. I actually welcome MKX being dead last at ECT.

I've been thinking something. I strongly belive that Capcom (And other companies) should start thinking to add "e-sports" section to their games. I focus on capcom since are the ones with the important deal right now.
Put a section in the game where people can grab oficial tournament information. In SFV case, Allow them to check the Capcom Pro Tour in the game. Put banner notifications in the game (that can be shut down) so people can be aware about a tournament that's near. And even put the stream tournament in that section, so people can catch it without work.

I'm focusing on SFV cuz right know it has the best scenario. You have people and media attention after the success that SFIV has been. Then u have even more attention cuz the game it's gonna be "exclusive" (Yeah it's on PC, but you all get it).
It's the best chance that SF and fighting games in general have to start stepping their game in terms of viewership. Something I think Capcom isn't doing with all that Sony money in the line...
I think it's safe to say tha Fighting Games are easy to watch (Not to understand). It's not like Dota, Lol, SC and all those games that you need to be into to understand them. U might don't know what the hell it's happening, but thanks to the life bar u know who is winning. And the prove of this it's EVO, one of Twitch biggest events in terms of viewership.

I really hope all the Fighting Games companys start to realize this and do something.

I am going to agree here. Capcom has like 0 venue to advertise CPT. With Sony on board the SFV train, adding something like a Capcom/SF channel app(+ incentives to use the app) to the PS4 might be a nice idea and a splash screen like LoL on PC offering community news. I am going to be honest here. Capcom has been doing a shit job at promoting CPT and having the VoD behind a paywall is questionable at best, which wouldn't be much of an issue if their Youtube channel would get fast uploads. Hopefully it gets better with PS4 release of USFIV and especially SFV. Not to forget, PS4 also has the issue of not having a twitch app, crippling the ability to watch tournaments on PS4.

Not only that, a lot of events are overlapping this year, like Stunfest and Combo Breaker, splitting the playerbase. If there is one thing the FGC are pros at it's being late and cutting their own flesh, I guess.

I don't think it is a coincidence that people are starting to see twitch as a sustainable revenue source and now going after streaming equipment :(

Streamers need to keep an eye on their gear and take precautions, from now on. There might be more following this MO like copycats or even the same criminals.
Not only that. People also need to watch their stuff inside the venue, considering the stories of Spooky's modded 3DS getting stolen same with Lapchi's envelope full of money. This obviously isn't specific to the FGC, but applies to any event with a large gathering of people.

NEO0MJ

Man I remember how much pre-release hype there was for TTT2 because it was a tag game.

Now imagine how much hype it would have garnered had it been solo fighter!

I wonder what kind of people are buying these. I think someone posted before that the majority of Skullgirls owners were more likely to own visual novels than other fighting games?

CO_Andy

It's sad that SNK isn't getting any love, despite making the most fighting games in history.

Why Smash community gotta hog up 2 slots :(

BadWolf

are you saying that it seems like Sony is the one pushing to cash in on the esports cashcow than anything?

because i'm inclined to agree

That and Sony's support is probably letting Ono do more of what he wasn't able to under Capcom's budgetary restrictions.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
fun
fən/
noun
noun: fun

enjoyment, amusement, or lighthearted pleasure.
"the children were having fun in the play area"

adjective informal
adjective: fun

amusing, entertaining, or enjoyable.
"it was a fun evening"

Well everyone has fun in a different way.
You'll have fun seeing the salt.

Sayad

The way this cat is shitting on SF4's animation reminds me of TTOB
http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/
He's forgetting that SFIV is a 3D game made in 2008, it's animation is excellent as far as 3D videogames animation in 2008 goes, and I disagree about pixelation being a deliberate art style(at least when it comes to the fighters he mentioned, since that's the only section I've read). Visible pixels in KoFXIII and SF3 isn't deliberate, it's dictated more by the game's budget than art style, those game would have been made at much higher res if the budget allowed for it.

That being said, no one in his right mind would argue that SFIV's animation is better than 3s'.

Kumubou

are you saying that it seems like Sony is the one pushing to cash in on the esports cashcow than anything?

because i'm inclined to agree
I think it's a combination of Sony wanting to get in on that e-sports money and the US/EU Capcom offices pushing for something like this for years. I would imagine that every plea for money ended with the home office in Japan telling them to pound sand until Sony started cutting checks.

I think it's a combination of Sony wanting to get in on that e-sports money and the US/EU Capcom offices pushing for something like this for years. I would imagine that every plea for money ended with the home office in Japan telling them to pound sand until Sony started cutting checks.

too bad there isn't anyone to get Nintendo moving on this

fader

I think it's a combination of Sony wanting to get in on that e-sports money and the US/EU Capcom offices pushing for something like this for years

that's true, that's something that cannot be ignored.

too bad there isn't anyone to get Nintendo moving on this

it would be ridiculous if nintendo had their own e-sports league.

pokemon world championship is done entirely by Pokemon USA i believe...

Top Bottom