• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

Kumubou

dont know what you are trying to prove, so i'm just gonna lol
The issue there is that once you weed out all of the "bad" players, the only people who are left are the people who have been playing for 5+ years -- there's no new blood, so the games slowly (or quickly) die off. You need that churn of bad players, so that some of them can become less bad, and then out of that pool people get better and better and so on. Without that, it largely stagnates. Granted, that super-dedicated core will continue playing for eons, but that's all there is.

Onemic

dont know what you are trying to prove, so i'm just gonna lol

I think it's that those titles are examples of games where low/mid level competitors have been effectively weeded out and pretty much only high level players are active now. Even though the 3S and KOF communities(id say more 98/02 than XIII) are still pretty active, their heyday has long since ended and their scene is effectively 'dead' from a mainstream standpoint.

This runs in parallel with Marvel's current situation. Generally when you lose the lower/mid level players and you only have high level players remaining active on your game, that means that your scene is indeed dying or soon to be dead.

fader

I think it's that those titles are examples of games where low/mid level competitors have been effectively weeded out and pretty much only high level players are active now. Even though the 3S and KOF communities(id say more 98/02 than XIII) are still pretty active, their heyday has long since ended and their scene is effectively 'dead' from a mainstream standpoint.

This runs in parallel with Marvel's current situation. Generally when you lose the lower/mid level players and you only have high level players remaining active on your game, that means that your scene is indeed dying or soon to be dead.

The issue there is that once you weed out all of the "bad" players, the only people who are left are the people who have been playing for 5+ years -- there's no new blood, so the games slowly (or quickly) die off. You need that churn of bad players, so that some of them can become less bad, and then out of that pool people get better and better and so on. Without that, it largely stagnates. Granted, that super-dedicated core will continue playing for eons, but that's all there is.

it's bound to happen to a game with no support from the developer for 3 years. look at 3rd strike and mvc2 in America in the mid to late 2000's.

and those game's have very limited support from their communities.

Seyavesh

After that it's a whole range of top players who are on the cusp and are capable of beating these 3.

i missed this post cuz i was busy gettin' mad at video games, so:
i think the most realistic guys on that list all play zero. also flux too (vs. chrisg and champ specifically. vs justin is it's own bizarre bracket as he's wildly different to approach matchup/playstyle-wise than those 2)

once rayray brushes up his zero he'll probably be the best contender for busting everyone's balls because he has the proper matchup exp available to him with his teams alongside actually being a good player (over simply a competent one like other zeros [zeroes?]) to really bring out the insane stupidity of that character.

i am almost 100% certain t-bo will not beat any of the 3 gods without a miracle after seeing him play casuals vs. my training partners/playing him quite a bit while wildly sleep deprived. which is a damn shame 'cuz i'd love a texas rep to swing at those guys and land solid hits.

japanese players are a true wildcard though, i have no idea what the fuck to expect and even watching kvo footage i'm still just like "this is so weird". my heart really wants to brush them off but time and time again they manage to throw wrenches everywhere and just mess dudes up like it aint nothin'

mbpm1

Can't wait for the Justin Option selects at EVO.

*Justin doesn't win in MKX. "Oh that's because he's not really a MK player anyway"

*Justin doesn't win in UMVC3. "Oh that's because he doesn't give a fuck about Marvel anymore and just plays MKX all day"

*Justin doesn't win in KI. "Isn't a KI player and just streams MKX"

I know because I already have all these option selects on lock for EVO!

You really think MKX is going to out draw USF4 at EVO? As far as I know MKX isn't at a thousand yet but USF4 is.

What about when Justin doesn't enter SF4

Onemic

T7 should be friday. no reason why this unfinished game should get a sunday slot. KI deserves to be on sunday.

T7 is finished. It's just still under development for consoles.

Still hoping they replace most of the character models once it hits consoles in 2017

Dahbomb

I don't think Japanese Marvel players will do a lot unless a whole bunch of them attend.

Every year a handful attend and every year they get snuffed at top 16 range. Chou got the closest at 9th place. You need the top 5 of that KVO to enter PLUS RF and Nemo (and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head) for Japan to crack top 8.

I think Japan doing damage in Marvel would light up an ass in the US Marvel scene. That's not going to happen just like an American isn't going to win EVO USF4. But never stop believe... I will always be rooting for the US of A!

What about when Justin doesn't enter SF4
Ok that's an easy one:

"He knew he wasn't going to win SF4 so he didn't enter in order to concentrate on the other games"

But that's not going to happen, he will enter SF4.

ShinMaruku

Let's be honest though Justin won't be winnin sf4. :p
Everything else he has a chance. SF4? Daigo and Tokido have his soul. XD

sikvod00

Banned
Justin isn't winning MKX either.

Regarding smash games @ EVO: Anyone think Mang0 will actually threepeat in Melee (50/50 for me)? Can anyone actually stop Zero from winning Smash 4 (nope)?

Zissou

I'm curious about what the final evo entrant numbers will be for marvel. In Japan, the marvel scene is growing, if anything (dunno how many people will attend evo though).

Dahbomb

I just randomly perused the rules for UMVC3 at Combo Breaker and it states that winners can't change assists.

I wonder if there's going to be some drama over that although knowing the players I doubt they will read the rules beforehand.

xCobalt

I just randomly perused the rules for UMVC3 at Combo Breaker and it states that winners can't change assists.

I wonder if there's going to be some drama over that although knowing the players I doubt they will read the rules beforehand.

There won't be any drama because that's always been the rule. There hasn't been a tournament that allowed the winner to change assists.

Dahbomb

There won't be any drama because that's always been the rule. There hasn't been a tournament that allowed the winner to change assists.
FChamp has been doing that in every single tournament including EVO...

Like what would happen is that FChamp would win, loser would change their team and then FChamp would change his Doom assist to match the new team.

I always thought that Winner could change assist type since I saw him doing that. Like I always thought it was the same rule as Ultra changing for USF4.

xCobalt

FChamp has been doing that in every single tournament including EVO...

Like what would happen is that FChamp would win, loser would change their team and then FChamp would change his Doom assist to match the new team.

I always thought that Winner could change assist type since I saw him doing that. Like I always thought it was the same rule as Ultra changing for USF4.

That's weird. I thought EVO of all events would enforce the rules.

http://shoryuken.com/evo-player-guide/evo-additional-rules/

Zissou

Why is it thus?

Japan is small enough the online marvel is a bit more feasible and some players regularly have online tournaments/meet-ups for low level players. There are places in several major cities where you can get offline play fairly easily/reliably which are open to anyone (how Bum's house is, I think?). Also, in general, Japanese players are more likely to stick with THEIR game rather than abandon ship the second something new comes out. Marvel has a reputation for hype even in Japan (some of American marvel culture has definitely bled over), so if you wanna be part of the group of people going nuts at a tournament, marvel is the way to go. If you started getting hype during ultra, it'd be you alone in a sea of golf claps looking like a nut, haha.

Busaiku

Plus being a crap game isn't so much a deterrent as it is helping it out in Japan.
That's why the KVO crew is so into it.

Kumubou

Yeah I know I double checked the rules and you were right on the rules. But I have definitely seen FChamp change assists despite being the winner and someone even pointing it out on stream.

Oh well if the players don't care then I don't care.
It's ultimately the player's responsibility to call out a rules violation (I know that's the case at Evo, and that's generally how it's handled at most tournaments). A judge or TO can step in and call it on their own, but if they don't notice it and the players don't notice it (or care), then it's a non-issue at that point.

Summer Jam isn't until end of August.
You would think he would have advance notice for planning purposes, though. On that note, I suspect he may also know who the other tournaments getting pot bonuses are and he's not happy about that.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You mean top 8?

Top 3 is set in stone at this point... Justin Wong, FChamp and ChrisG are the best 3 hands down no questions asked.

After that it's a whole range of top players who are on the cusp and are capable of beating these 3.

Cloud805 - Multiple top 8 finishes, many times has gotten 2nd place (only to lose to a god but he has slain gods in his path)
Clockwork - Another god killer, just finished 3rd in his most recent tournament only losing to Justin and Clockwork but won against FChamp.
RayRay - Just got 2nd at Texas, winning over Justin but losing against ChrisG in a close 2 set game.
Apologyman - Many top 8 finishes including a major win, can slay gods as well.
KBR - He just keeps getting better and better against all odds.
Paradigm - Multiple top 8 finishes
Marvelo, Full Schedule - Florida boys put in a lot of work with the game and have been performing really well lately.
Flocker - Hasn't performed well lately but he is still top 8 caliber player
Cosmos, Terry Bogard - The new emergent players of this year with their Morrigans. They have definitely done well recently and are major threats.
RF, Nemo and the Japanese Marvel players - Hopefully the Japanese Marvel players show up at EVO in full force because they can do some work. KVO had 200 players for Marvel and the games were good. And they have some quality group of players now.

This list is basically the same as last year's only with a few additions and these players have closed the gap more so. It's not as apparent in the results but when you see the matches you see the players struggling for ever win.. it's not as free as it was a couple of years ago.

Truly, a man that defies all odds with his team. Can't believe he wrecked Chris so badly at NWM.

OMGITZANDRE beat Frankie G 7-3!

Crowd goes nuts

Btw, where is combobreaker happening and when?

Big E salty over KI prize money distribution?

https://www.facebook.com/2BigE3/posts/10152815270720778

If its cause of the KI money than a grown ass man is acting like a child over it? When did it start becoming for the money instead of the community? I understand its difficult running these events but they weren't done in hopes of getting money, it was to support the community. Big E needs to clarify his stance as to why he's doing this. Sucks for KI players that are going to Summer Jam.

Japan is small enough the online marvel is a bit more feasible and some players regularly have online tournaments/meet-ups for low level players. There are places in several major cities where you can get offline play fairly easily/reliably which are open to anyone (how Bum's house is, I think?). Also, in general, Japanese players are more likely to stick with THEIR game rather than abandon ship the second something new comes out. Marvel has a reputation for hype even in Japan (some of American marvel culture has definitely bled over), so if you wanna be part of the group of people going nuts at a tournament, marvel is the way to go. If you started getting hype during ultra, it'd be you alone in a sea of golf claps looking like a nut, haha.

I love Japanese marvel players lol

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
T7 should be friday. no reason why this unfinished game should get a sunday slot. KI deserves to be on sunday.

TEKKEN 7 is not on Friday. We already announced that the Friday of EVO will be practice day for people to play the game/practice.

TheChits

Regarding smash games @ EVO: Anyone think Mang0 will actually threepeat in Melee (50/50 for me)? Can anyone actually stop Zero from winning Smash 4 (nope)?

Mango has a VERY good chance to take it all again this year. I'm personally rooting for PPMD, Hungrybox, and aMSa though. And I think Zero is just too far ahead of everyone right now. Maybe something will change between now and Evo, but I just don't see it.

Yeah I know I double checked the rules and you were right on the rules. But I have definitely seen FChamp change assists despite being the winner and someone even pointing it out on stream.

Oh well if the players don't care then I don't care.

Do you have any specific examples of when he did this? I only remember one time that there was a controversy over it, when people thought he switched his Dormammu assist. After reviewing the footage it turned out he hadn't switched assists after all.

Dahbomb

Do you have any specific examples of when he did this? I only remember one time that there was a controversy over it, when people thought he switched his Dormammu assist. After reviewing the footage it turned out he hadn't switched assists after all.
I am busy right now and don't have time to look through multiple FChamp footage to find out the match but I can do it tomorrow.

hey, maybe ZeRo will run into another Luigi and have too much pride to switch to Sheik, getting put in losers early

lololol

Top Bottom