• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

Line_HTX

On one hand Texas Showdown was a ton of fun, on the other hand I wound up shaking Noel Brown's hand.

:/

I finally met Markman in person and was so happy to get acquainted with Tekken 7. Dat Katarina Tiger Knee.

Buff Lili please SMOrc

My voice is totally shot from the Xrd exhibitions. Elphelt vs. Millia at high level is a thing to behold.

Sayah

I finally met Markman in person and was so happy to get acquainted with Tekken 7. Dat Katarina Tiger Knee.

Buff Lili please SMOrc

My voice is totally shot from the Xrd exhibitions. Elphelt vs. Millia at high level is a thing to behold.

I wish I could be there.

Shouta

Praise Shouta!

How did Ogawa like his time here?

The trip to NWM really opened his eyes to going overseas apparently. He really seemed to enjoy his time and everyone was really nice to him so it helped a lot. I think he might have posted more detailed thoughts on his new twitter but I haven't really checked.

From what KOG and Dogura said, they had a lot of fun too. Dogura said it was fun enough that he'd come back next year on his own dime. If I recall correctly, KOG said he had more fun at this tournament than at Evo as well. Dogura said that this would be a better choice for a first time overseas especially since there were Japanese speakers helping out to make it smooth for them.

So overall, it was a pretty big success this year on that front.

Rainy

Banned
Pretty sure a lot of it's due to the nostalgia of playing it for hours with my older brother, but the MvC1 OST is so good.

Kimosabae

Banned
If we can get Ogawa and co. coming to the states even semi-consistently, that would go a long way in leveling up the GG scene here.

Yeah, it's be nice to have people come who force the scene to up their game.

I don't think that works.

In KOF and in Tekken, getting destroyed for years by players from everywhere but here hasn't increased skill levels...

Players from east Asia keep taking all of our SF4 money. What American players have shown improvement against east Asian opponents?

Kimosabae

Banned

In KOF and in Tekken, getting destroyed for years by players from everywhere but here hasn't increased skill levels...

Players from east Asia keep taking all of our SF4 money. What American players have shown improvement against east Asian opponents?

I think America showed noticeable improvement against Asia at FR this year. KOF and Tekken are bad examples, since the states largely don't care about those games, I think.

Plus, Japan isn't some stagnant entity. Even if we improve vs them, that doesn't mean they don't improve vs us or in general.

alstein

For KOF, I think it's lack of enough concentrated interest that holds it back. That said, even VF produced a world-class player in the US (GentlemanThief) , so that might not be the reason. VF is less popular than KOF in the US.

I think America showed noticeable improvement against Asia at FR this year. KOF and Tekken are bad examples, since the states largely don't care about those games, I think.

Plus, Japan isn't some stagnant entity. Even if we improve vs them, that doesn't mean they don't improve vs us or in general.

I don't think America showed improvement. Upsets aren't some new thing. The next step is to have a player that can win a major in a stacked international major and USA hasn't proven it can do that.

2RiuIAD.gif

yDEjNN6.gif

Mr. X

It's not a "America" thing, it's a scene by scene thing. SF4 and Tekken look like they are ok with aiming to beat other US players and not trying to best Korea/Japan.

Anne

It's def an American thing haha. So I've actually been looking into the JP scene lately to see what their environment and processes are past just "arcade culture beats us". It's not really an arcade culture they got, it's a competitive culture.

Like, they play more, the top players talk and share info about the game more, and that trickles down, they dedicate real time to teaching new players (rank limit tournaments are actually amazing) and they teach them things like metagame and player vs player skill and OSes /early/, they enter more events and take them more seriously, etc. and they all do it with reasonable expectations.

In America our top players fight each other on twitter about stupid bullshit, and just stream themselves beating up netplayers, trying to make some money or get sponsors or whatever. It feels like the American goal isn't to win and enjoy the games competitively, it's about chasing sponsors/subs/social standing. It kind of makes sense culturally that we're like that.

Like, FChamp may come off as a colossal asshole and play up his persona and whatever. but when he did his first year of FGTV he did it right. It wasn't 24/7 nonstop, but a lot of the time went into serious practice with a lot of people, and he would listen to new shit and help spread it. That stuff seriously trickled down and boosted his own game all the way through Evo that year, it helped put a lot of Marvel tech we take for granted out there, and it went through to the players he had with him. I mean FChamp won evo, made helpful content, and took unremarkable players like CJShowstopper and put them into top 8s, while still nursing his money making project with it. I haven't watched in like 2 years, but apparently the comp died down there and it turned into a desperate money project and that took focus, which is a huge shame, but oh well. The one time it worked it actually worked.

That dude didn't have an arcade to form a competitive scene around, so he just made one and ti worked for a bit. We could actually take something from that, but it requires a hige amount of dedication and quite frankly we're not going to do that.

Ogawa is confirmed along with about 20 other japanese players from mikado are coming

plus the 20 or so coming for persona

jp anime not fucking around this year...

I saw Ho-chan saying there was ~50 JP anime players coming this year. Really really glad I'm gonna be there for Persona.

Jazz-ism

Banned
Ogawa is confirmed along with about 20 other japanese players from mikado are coming

plus the 20 or so coming for persona

jp anime not fucking around this year...

Mr. X

It's def an American thing haha. So I've actually been looking into the JP scene lately to see what their environment and processes are past just "arcade culture beats us". It's not really an arcade culture they got, it's a competitive culture.

Like, they play more, the top players talk and share info about the game more, and that trickles down, they dedicate real time to teaching new players (rank limit tournaments are actually amazing) and they teach them things like metagame and player vs player skill and OSes /early/, they enter more events and take them more seriously, etc. and they all do it with reasonable expectations.

In America our top players fight each other on twitter about stupid bullshit, and just stream themselves beating up netplayers, trying to make some money or get sponsors or whatever. It feels like the American goal isn't to win and enjoy the games competitively, it's about chasing sponsors/subs/social standing. It kind of makes sense culturally that we're like that.

Like, FChamp may come off as a colossal asshole and play up his persona and whatever. but when he did his first year of FGTV he did it right. It wasn't 24/7 nonstop, but a lot of the time went into serious practice with a lot of people, and he would listen to new shit and help spread it. That stuff seriously trickled down and boosted his own game all the way through Evo that year, it helped put a lot of Marvel tech we take for granted out there, and it went through to the players he had with him. I mean FChamp won evo, made helpful content, and took unremarkable players like CJShowstopper and put them into top 8s, while still nursing his money making project with it. I haven't watched in like 2 years, but apparently the comp died down there and it turned into a desperate money project and that took focus, which is a huge shame, but oh well. The one time it worked it actually worked.

That dude didn't have an arcade to form a competitive scene around, so he just made one and ti worked for a bit. We could actually take something from that, but it requires a hige amount of dedication and quite frankly we're not going to do that.

I saw Ho-chan saying there was ~50 JP anime players coming this year. Really really glad I'm gonna be there for Persona.

I miss Drew Grimey. He is proof FGTV House worked.

Luckily, Skullgirls VF players are really close and tight knit and all the top players are sharing info and footage and teaching.

Top Bottom