• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

petghost

Banned
dont mind the new gg design that much. i think its a bit of a departure from what i'd consider an XX era design but whatever the times have definitely changed. i do find it funny that everyone who seems into it got a straight up anime waifu avatar, though.

psyched to try her though and hope she is cool/mechanically interesting.

also play +r :(

offcast

Neo Member
Anybody here going to Westcoast Warzone? It was the first major I ever attended for Fighting Games, so I'm sad I won't be in the States to attend this year. Still going to wake up at 6am Manila time to catch Nemo Vs. Champ.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hearing Keits talk about KI is pretty awesome, you can hear the genuine passion and it sounds like he has a good ear for balance.

Tried KI for the first time at FS a few days ago but I literally only had a minute with it and it took me all that time to wrap my head around the controls alone. I don't know if they were the default controls or somebody switched them but I found them pretty off putting.

Silver_key

Neo Member
Hearing Keits talk about KI is pretty awesome, you can hear the genuine passion and it sounds like he has a good ear for balance.

The greatest sign of hope for the genre is that we're getting players/community members like Mike Z and Keits to join the ranks of Boon and Harada. I hope more get the chance to work on the development side.

Silky

Banned

Tried KI for the first time at FS a few days ago but I literally only had a minute with it and it took me all that time to wrap my head around the controls alone. I don't know if they were the default controls or somebody switched them but I found them pretty off putting.

For real? It's the usual setup SF has on pad.

alstein

The greatest sign of hope for the genre is that we're getting players/community members like Mike Z and Keits to join the ranks of Boon and Harada. I hope more get the chance to work on the development side.

The amount of money it takes to buy in will keep this from becoming more common.

Skullgirls by itself makes Yatagarasu look inadequate, and Yatagarasu took a ton of effort. The standards are so high now.

(this is not me going on in Yata's gameplay, but how its production standards seem inadequate these days- they wouldn't have 5 years ago)

Anne

For the record, if you do end up in FC Aigis can do 7k~ for 25 meter non awakened, no burst easily doing that loop. The only requirement is FC and a decent starter. I just posted it cause the loop is amusing, although I have hit DP happy folks with it.

12-33k impractical, sure. Getting like 7-9k is /totally/ practical if the situation pops up, that situation being your opponent enters FCR in/near the corner.

Anybody here going to Westcoast Warzone? It was the first major I ever attended for Fighting Games, so I'm sad I won't be in the States to attend this year. Still going to wake up at 6am Manila time to catch Nemo Vs. Champ.

Want to go but logistics didn't work out for it :(

When's the Nemo vs Champ match?

notworksafe

I know there's the rule about pimping your own stuff, but I posted about this last year as well so I figure it's okay. If there's an issue though, just let me know...

Just wanted to let everyone know about Art of Fighting this year. It's a charity art show and tournament we have been doing here in New Mexico to support March of Dimes and babies with heart defects after a local player in our FGC lost his son to a CHD. A lot of people on GAF and in FGW were really supportive last year and in total we raised over $4000 and our efforts actually helped lead to it becoming New Mexico law to have babies screened for heart defects after birth!

Anyway we're back this year and even bigger. This year we've got more support from Capcom, Namco, and others as well as having special guests Jwong, Ricky, and Angelic coming down to play! We stepped up our artist game with donated pieces from artists from UDON, Supergiant Games, Lab Zero, IDW, as well as plenty of awesome independent artists.

Anyway the event isn't for a few weeks (Sept 26-28) but I figured I'd give people a heads up. If anyone is interested in more info or in coming by check out http://www.nmism.com/aof/. If it's okay with everyone I can keep posting updates too. And if Enzo is down, maybe he can add us to the event calendar that week? :p

El Sloth

Banned
I know there's the rule about pimping your own stuff, but I posted about this last year as well so I figure it's okay. If there's an issue though, just let me know...

Just wanted to let everyone know about Art of Fighting this year. It's a charity art show and tournament we have been doing here in New Mexico to support March of Dimes and babies with heart defects after a local player in our FGC lost his son to a CHD. A lot of people on GAF and in FGW were really supportive last year and in total we raised over $4000 and our efforts actually helped lead to it becoming New Mexico law to have babies screened for heart defects after birth!

Anyway we're back this year and even bigger. This year we've got more support from Capcom, Namco, and others as well as having special guests Jwong, Ricky, and Angelic coming down to play! We stepped up our artist game with donated pieces from artists from UDON, Supergiant Games, Lab Zero, IDW, as well as plenty of awesome independent artists.

Anyway the event isn't for a few weeks (Sept 26-28) but I figured I'd give people a heads up. If anyone is interested in more info or in coming by check out http://www.nmism.com/aof/. If it's okay with everyone I can keep posting updates too. And if Enzo is down, maybe he can add us to the event calendar that week? :p
That's pretty cool, much respect. Good on you guys. Who'll be streaming it? Have you guys tried getting in contact with Twitch so they could maybe promote you on the front page during the event? I'm sure they'd be down with donating some money at least. They definitely love promoting charity stuff on their Twitter at least.

good luck

notworksafe

That's pretty cool, much respect. Good on you guys. Who'll be streaming it? Have you guys tried getting in contact with Twitch so they could maybe promote you on the front page during the event? I'm sure they'd be down with donating some money at least. They definitely love promoting charity stuff on their Twitter at least.

We're gonna stream it on our own channel, twitch.tv/nmism or http://nmism.com/aof/?page_id=122. We'll add the donation link to the page as well once we get closer to the event.

We've already contacted Twitch and they've agreed to put us on the front page during certain portions of our event, which is really awesome of them.

good luck

Thanks!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Definitely agree, and I think this is especially good to help bolster the development of new, western fighting game IPs.

For real? It's the usual setup SF has on pad.
Yeah, I don't think I used SF's default set up either, maybe that's why. Always seemed not that intuitive. I think I usually keep X/Y/LB for punches and A/B/RB for kicks.

I don't get it. Decent SF commentator vs. someone that shouldn't be commentating Marvel (or hasn't seen it before). I don't remember the last time I've seen an instance of B whereas you see A in both games if the commentator is knowledgeable enough.

Hells yeah. We featured it last year and it even got it's own thread, so I don't see why not again this year. We need more of this stuff coming out of the FGC; also I didn't know that you guys ended up helping laws get changed, that's pretty fucking awesome.

MxcPUre.png

HB5cKPO.png

I like that they're going with the wedding/bridal theme for Elphelt's attacks as well. I actually can't think of any other fighting game character that has the same theme.

I don't think that the people saying she doesn't look like a GG character realize that's what actually makes her fit in the most with the rest of the cast.

If you look at GG's cast you'll notice that most if not all of them vary wildly in terms of appearance and theme. There are commonalities in terms of clothing/accessory motifs but outside of that you can't confuse any of the two (except maybe the silhouette's of Ky/Robo-Ky and Sol/Holy Order Sol).

Sol is different from Venom who's different from May who's different from Potemkin who's different from Slayer who's different from Chipp who's different from BEDMAN who's different from I-No who's different from ABA who's different from Johnny who's different from Bridget who's different from ZATO who's different from Justice who's different from Dizzy, who's different from [insert rest of cast here].

Despite their intentions those saying that Elphelt doesn't look like a Guilty Gear character are giving her the biggest compliment that they possibly can.

Kikirin

On that note, Elphelt command list, courtesy of DL's Sourenga:
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...ical-gameplay-discussion/page-375#entry842597

ELPHELT COMMAND LIST

Berry Pine (ベリーパイン) 236P (Air OK)
- Upward Throw (上投げ) 4P during Berry Pine (Air OK)
- Downward Throw (下投げ) 2P during Berry Pine

Bridal Express (ブライダルエクスプレス) 214K (Air OK)

Prepare Miss Confire (Miss コンフィールを構える) 236S
- Shooting (射撃) P/K/S/HS during Confire
-- Reload (リロード) 46S during Confire
- Cancel (解除) D during Confire

Prepare Miss Travailler (Miss トラヴァイエを構える) 236HS
- Poke (小突く) P during Travailler
- Roll over (転がる) K during Travailler
- Rise up (突き上げる) S during Travailler
- Shooting (射撃) HS during Travailler
-- Reload (リロード) 46 HS during Shooting
- Break (崩す) D during Travailler
- Cancel (解除) 236HS during Travailler

Judge Better Half (ジャッジベターハーフ) 236236D

Genoise (ジェノワーズ) 632146HS

MAN FUCK.

I tried to get Persona while its on sale for XBL Gold.. out of region or some shit.

Guess anime just isn't for me. I'll take this as a sign.

I like that they're going with the wedding/bridal theme for Elphelt's attacks as well. I actually can't think of any other fighting game character that has the same theme.

I don't think that the people saying she doesn't look like a GG character realize that's what actually makes her fit in the most with the rest of the cast.

If you look at GG's cast you'll notice that most if not all of them vary wildly in terms of appearance and theme. There are commonalities in terms of clothing/accessory motifs but outside of that you can't confuse any of the two (except maybe the silhouette's of Ky/Robo-Ky and Sol/Holy Order Sol).

Sol is different from Venom who's different from May who's different from Potemkin who's different from Slayer who's different from Chipp who's different from BEDMAN who's different from I-No who's different from ABA who's different from Johnny who's different from Bridget who's different from ZATO who's different from Justice who's different from Dizzy, who's different from [insert rest of cast here].

Despite their intentions those saying that Elphelt doesn't look like a Guilty Gear character are giving her the biggest compliment that they possibly can.

When we said she did not fit well we were talking about the abuse of details, the overdesign of the character compared to the efficiency and simple designs of past Guilty Gear games. Not not the fact she has a "thematic" or something like that. Saying GG characters are differents with thematics in each one is like preaching to the converted.

Village

When we said she did not fit well we were talking about the abuse of details, the overdesign of the character compared to the efficiency and simple designs of past Guilty Gear games. Not not the fact she has a "thematic" or something like that. Saying GG characters are differents with thematics in each one is like preaching to the converted.

* Looks at sol badguy*

uh.....

Maybe both series have rather over designed characters.

Seyavesh

* Looks at sol badguy*

uh.....

MtLHQvV.gif

the definition of overdesigned here is too vague i think, ya gotta clarify because i personally think that's a pretty straightforward and sleek design.

edit: the most extravagant aspect of the design are the belts all over his pants but they don't really add to his silhouette and they're not asymmetric so the 'sleek' aspect isn't lost

like i said earlier the line for that generally tends to be vastly different between folks

also overture got a pretty big backlash didn't it
as in 'it didn't sell jack shit'

edit 2: forgoet to mention but i would definitely say the overture characters cross my line of what constitutes as overdesigned though because holy shit

BdqgV9v.jpg

jesus christ look at that

El Sloth

Banned
We're gonna stream it on our own channel, twitch.tv/nmism or http://nmism.com/aof/?page_id=122. We'll add the donation link to the page as well once we get closer to the event.

We've already contacted Twitch and they've agreed to put us on the front page during certain portions of our event, which is really awesome of them.
Nice! Will definitely tune in and donate. Will I be able to see you body Chavelo on stream in the name of charity???

Or is that like one of the donation goals the speedrunner guys do for their charity drive

Can't say I agree with these points. The old characters (talking about the adapted designs for this game since the old ones aren't THAT different save a few characters) all have similar details and accessories on their clothing. Some more than others, but nothing that would warrant the use of the terms "abuse of detail" and "overdesigned".

I could see someone using those terms to describe Sol's belts but even then I wouldn't agree with it since those terms are for describing things that have so much detail that it looks unreadable and cluttered which doesn't accurately describe Sol's or El's design. Elphelt's character art looks better than the screenshots shown so far just because the lighting doesn't make everything look red. Her outfit is essentially a GGified wedding dress and the accompanying details make that pretty clear IMO. Suffice to say that I think the argument of El's outfit being an "abuse of detail" and "overdesigned" stretches those terms pretty far.

Top Bottom