• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

Village

MtLHQvV.gif

the definition of overdesigned here is too vague i think, ya gotta clarify because i personally think that's a pretty straightforward and sleek design.

edit: the most extravagant aspect of the deisgn are the belts all over his pants but they don't really add to his silhouette and they're not asymmetric so the 'sleek' aspect isn't lost

like i said earlier the line for that generally tends to be vastly different between folks

also overture got a pretty big backlash didn't it
as in 'it didn't sell jack shit'

I can't agree, compared to the other fighting games I play that's pretty " extravagant ", the nature of the sensibilities that inspire GG and BB respectively lean themselves to some overly designed and Under designed characters. Its unapologetic corny chche, trop-ey , anime fluff. Ones based in the 90's Trigun wild wild slightly futuristic west. And the other one is based in more modern/Futuristic magical, and mecha anime.

And I think that's ok, both series seem like they are created to poke fun at and celebrate these tropes. I think thats why Ragna and Sol both look like the most stereotypical cliche anime dudes of each period. And as stupid and cliche as I think they are, I appreciate that.

It certainly puts them over dudes like kyo from KOF, who's just some jerk bag in a jacket. That bland character design never was one of my favorites.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yams is 8888888888888888888888888888888888 times better than Mes in SFIV.

Don't pick on Mes! He can do it if he BELIEVES.

Well its true, no one can accurately tell where the hell Zero is when he's going for a damn mix up!
Unless its those who are considered the gods of mahvel.

Has Capcom said anything for a patch on SF online recently? I really wanna stop playing on 360 offline at locals and just play it on my laptop at my own convenience.

Seyavesh

I can't agree, compared to the other fighting games I play that's pretty " extravagant ", the nature of the sensibilities that inspire GG and BB respectively lean themselves to some overly designed and Under designed characters. Its unapologetic corny cheche, trop-ey , anime fluff. Ones based in the 90's Trigun wild wild slightly futuristic west. And the other one is based in more modern/Futuristic magical, and mecha anime.

And I think that's ok, both series seem like they are created to poke fun at and celebrate these tropes. I think thats why Ragna and Sol both look like the most stereotypical cleche anime dudes of each period. And as stupid and cleche as I think they are, I appreciate that.

yeah this is all reasonable, like i said it's ultimately down to what your personal line is when determine when something has too much unnecessary detail

i think folk's ultimate beef with her is that she doesn't really evoke that 80s/90s trope-y stuff and seems to more evoke early-mid 2000 stuff which they have a distaste for. i got the feeling there's a lot of folks who are like 'yo that's a blazblue character'

basically look on the bright side and be glad that none of the new characters are like this

also fchamp vs. nemo is gonna be real interesting 'cuz i feel like both dudes are the type of player who will do their research hard so they'll both be prepared for each other. nemo's team allowing for more sloppy play in neutral/forcing champ's mags to be more on point will probably be a major factor

The hell? When is it happening?

west coast warzone 4 this weekend awooooo

I can't agree, compared to the other fighting games I play that's pretty " extravagant ", the nature of the sensibilities that inspire GG and BB respectively lean themselves to some overly designed and Under designed characters. Its unapologetic corny chche, trop-ey , anime fluff. Ones based in the 90's Trigun wild wild slightly futuristic west. And the other one is based in more modern/Futuristic magical, and mecha anime.

And I think that's ok, both series seem like they are created to poke fun at and celebrate these tropes. I think thats why Ragna and Sol both look like the most stereotypical cliche anime dudes of each period. And as stupid and cliche as I think they are, I appreciate that.

It certainly puts them over dudes like kyo from KOF, who's just some jerk bag in a jacket. That bland character design never was one of my favorites.

I think this is relevant. Valve talks about designing TF2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really can't call Nemo vs. FChamp.

It's pretty much putting money on either the FChamp mindfuck vs. FChamp's Revengeance power, and I don't have strong faith in either. I can see any result being plausible (body either way, or a closer match with either edging it), and that's exactly what excited me for it.

If someone put a gun to my head though, man this is tough, I want to say FChamp but Nemo is just a fucking machine. Okay, FChamp. But I want Nemo to win.

notworksafe

Nice! Will definitely tune in and donate. Will I be able to see you body Chavelo on stream in the name of charity???

Or is that like one of the donation goals the speedrunner guys do for their charity drive

Chavelo and I don't play any of the same games unfortunately, except Lethal League now.

We could add it to the list of exhibitions on stream Saturday night. So far we got a VF5 exhibition again, a Southwest States Marvel Battle Royale (Team NM vs Team CO with the possible late addition of Team AZ and Team Mexico), Justin vs Angelic rematch, and a Windjammers team event.

Hells yeah. We featured it last year and it even got it's own thread, so I don't see why not again this year. We need more of this stuff coming out of the FGC; also I didn't know that you guys ended up helping laws get changed, that's pretty fucking awesome.
Thanks man. I'll send you some info to toss in the thread when we get closer.

Can't say I agree with these points. The old characters (talking about the adapted designs for this game since the old ones aren't THAT different save a few characters) all have similar details and accessories on their clothing. Some more than others, but nothing that would warrant the use of the terms "abuse of detail" and "overdesigned".
I could see someone using those terms to describe Sol's belts but even then I wouldn't agree with it since those terms are for describing things that have so much detail that it looks unreadable and cluttered which doesn't accurately describe Sol's or El's design. Elphelt's character art looks better than the screenshots shown so far just because the lighting doesn't make everything look red. Her outfit is essentially a GGified wedding dress and the accompanying details make that pretty clear IMO. Suffice to say that I think the argument of El's outfit being an "abuse of detail" and "overdesigned" stretches those terms pretty far.

That's why I was talking about old designs, not the adapted designs that mostly looks way inferior in my opinion.

The point your missing is this one: when you produce a design that disrupts what you are actually trying to do, you are doing it wrong. This new character mostly works as you said very well with this bride thematic. But do you need GIANT SPIKES on the head/gloves/shoulders while you are making a cute/bride character? What's the link between having rabbit ears and a bride? Why the clovers?
You can ask these questions to many characters in GG now. Why does the bed of bedman has the crown of queen elizabeth on his head? Why do you paint an arrow on the guy head? Even if you go back to BlazBlue with a simple cool looking dude like Azrael, why would you give him a giant tattoo, two belts and metal things on his jacket?

The answer is simple: there is no reason to add these details. Most of the time they don't add value, they are just filling "empty space" and some designers over complexify their designs because they hate emptiness or just thinks it's a weakness. Or they want to look smart by overdoing it.

They can do it for sure, but does it makes their designs better? I don't think so. If you want the exact opposite of BlazBlue and this new guilty gear, just look at Under Night In-Birth. You may not like the "flatness" of the design but it's VERY effective because it uses details that aren't pushed to your face but just suggested. If you take a character like Yuzuriha, you'l notice she's a kind of girl next door/simple girl (the simple top) with taste (look at the shoes, trousers) but that comes with some kind of tradition (the yukata, the sword). Then the voice and moveset helps to finish defining her character.

For me the past Guilty Gear games had this very subtle balance between suggestion and details. If you take a character like bridget, the religious aspect of the character is suggested with the almost nun clothing, and there is ONE single extravagant detail with the giant virginity belt.

Anyway let's move to other topic before everyone gets mad. It just hope some here can make a difference between efficient design and disruptive design.

I want Nemo to win because I like Nemo and also because Champ's pop-offs from that point forward would be the most unbearable thing ever

Dahbomb

wait wtf is it really not a money match?

or is it like 'yo we can't say this is a money match but it's definitely a money match' kinda shit
It's the latter.

Officially it's listed as an exhibition but according to Neo via Twitter investments will be made for the MM.

Which is code for it's a god damn money match. We just don't know how much.

Nemo said on his twitter about having to take notes from Yipes moving forward. With him also spending his time playing Ultra I don't know if that's a sign of Japanese Marvel slowing down or what.

Dahbomb

Nemo said on his twitter about having to take notes from Yipes moving forward. With him also spending his time playing Ultra I don't know if that's a sign of Japanese Marvel slowing down or what.
Another reason why I am betting on FChamp. Nemo is a bit more focused on playing Ultra/GGXrd which means less focus on Marvel.

Also while Nemo has a training partner who plays FChamp's team, it's not at the same level and FChamp himself has numerous team Nemo players to train with (Combofiend/Yipes have both helped FChamp prepare for team Nemo in the past).

Finally, FChamp has improved his game where as Nemo has largely remained the same. It should still be a good match though... but I like FChamp taking it.

RocBase

KBrad is the best.

he is giving me life

EDIT: RE: Nemo vs FChamp MM, I'm more than ready for this show to go down. Victor could really go either way, but if I had to put money on someone I'd probably go with Nemo if only because I like him slightly better in long sets than I do Champ.

Top Bottom