• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 22-28 | 2 Fast 2 Fuerte: Tokido Drift

Nyoro SF

I can see Xrd having nice legs past a month.

It's been 7 months since its arcade release. However there hasn't even been any rumors of balance tweaking.

Looks like Arc is being even more conservative than I remember. After P4U2 received its initial arcade patches, there has been no news on tweaks there either. Are they going to let the game sit as is for 2 years before touching it again?

Rhapsody

Banned
Evo lineup never fails to surprise me since I never guess them right.

Really hoping both Smash games are there to be honest.

As for ASW, I could see P4U2 and Xrd being in. I have no idea what the release schedule will be for BBCP2 for consoles so that's not even in the running for me.

Anne

I can see Xrd having nice legs past a month.

It's been 7 months since its arcade release. However there hasn't even been any rumors of balance tweaking.

Looks like Arc is being even more conservative than I remember. After P4U2 received its initial arcade patches, there has been no news on tweaks there either. Are they going to let the game sit as is for 2 years before touching it again?

Well, judging by the ASW cycle, nah. They tend to let arcade release rock until console, plug in the new chars for a bit, then rebalance when they bring the new chars to arcade. P4U is a bit weirder since Atlus is publishing it, but there's 5 console characters they'll eventually patch into the arcade version, and that's when balance changes will happen if they are going to happen.

Are you guys pumped to play GGXrd for a month and never play it again? I am.

To add to things like this, this is why certain people just don't take new players seriously, it's because they say shit like this.

See, the "think" part bugs me. I've seen post after post in several sites and forums of people saying "NRS buys their way in", "moneyhat", etc. No one really knows but someone that doesn't know it's speculation can just see so many people saying it and believe it's fact.

When Wizard was interviewed on Wakeup SRK about Injustice's inclusion, he declined to state whether the game was added based on money or merit. That year netherrealm was an Evo sponsor, had an entire hall and separate evo channel dedicated to their games.

It was pretty blatant because this was done parallel with the donation drive to get a spot into evo, which Injustice was in, and lost. Even Mike Z, the creator of Skullgirls felt bad about all the people who supported his game only miss the honors.

When Wizard was interviewed on Wakeup SRK about Injustice's inclusion, he declined to state whether the game was added based on money or merit. That year netherrealm was an Evo sponsor, had an entire hall and separate evo channel dedicated to their games.

It was pretty blatant because this was done parallel with the donation drive to get a spot into evo, which Injustice was in, and lost. Even Mike Z, the creator of Skullgirls felt bad about all the people who supported his game only miss the honors.
Well said. It's hard to find any other way to interpret the situation.

smurfx

get some go again
melee and smash 4 should be at evo. maybe have melee finals on saturday and smash 4 finals on sunday since it's the newer game.

To add to things like this, this is why certain people just don't take new players seriously, it's because they say shit like this.

And then on the opposite end of the spectrum are some vocal Guilty Gear "OGs" who have a wonderful time talking down on newer anime games lol.
I hope they come out for Xrd since they haven't come out for any of the modern anime fighters. :/

Anne

And then on the opposite end of the spectrum are some vocal Guilty Gear "OGs" who have a wonderful time talking down on newer anime games lol.
I hope they come out for Xrd since they haven't come out for any of the modern anime fighters. :/

Most of those guys are long gone at this point or their opinions are mostly ignored.

Also note I said certain people. I go really far out of my way to do my best for new players no matter how futile it is ;w;

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ya'll make it sound like a bad thing that a game can pay it's way into a slot. More money, more players and more resources for tournaments aren't bad things and if the big players can bring that then it's all good.

I like it when Publishers add pot bonuses like BBCP last year

Don't really care if they're just paying for an exposure slot with no tangible benefit to the community, which is what people seem to be implying is what happened with Injustice/MK9.(not that I buy into that)

ASW adding a pot bonus for BBCP and Xrd this year would be fantastic, but I don't know if they got money to be throwing around like that.

Hopefully Atlus supports P4U allowing Aksys to throw their weight behind Xrd

Dlent

Are you guys pumped to play GGXrd for a month and never play it again? I am.

This'll only be true for people who have deluded themselves into thinking that Xrd will somehow revolutionize anime games. To everyone else, it'll be a lot of fun until the next revision.

Compbros

Yeah, this is the stuff I was looking for. People probably should've called them out on that year because it seems really apparent. It's not proof but it's easier to draw a damning conclusion. However, sponsorship is not the same as paying for a game to be in nor is paying for their own room/stream setup.

At the same time why wouldn't he just say it's gotten some good numbers at majors and the decision was made to add it. Bad PR if he was indeed paid off for it.

petghost

Banned

i dont really see this man...like maybe when BB first got released (i wasnt around then) but there are tons of GG players who play the new games, in fact one of the best BB players was the best Venom of all time (he will not be playing xrd). i havent even really noticed a bad attitude towards the new games...i mean you get jiyuna calling GG players elitist or some shit but i havent seen much evidence of it.

alstein

They'd act like 3s did in regards to SF4. GG heads who just shittalked other games last gen entirely should be ignored.

As for Injustice, anyone who believes it was payolaed is going to believe it was payolaed in no matter what Wiz says- it did look like it was- I don't care though, it's not like it hurt anything.

Compbros

Ya'll make it sound like a bad thing that a game can pay it's way into a slot. More money, more players and more resources for tournaments aren't bad things and if the big players can bring that then it's all good.

Why would money being used to get your game into EVO be allocated towards pot bonuses? Adding money to a pot and doing deals to get your game in probably isn't the same.

i dont really see this man...like maybe when BB first got released (i wasnt around then) but there are tons of GG players who play the new games, in fact one of the best BB players was the best Venom of all time (he will not be playing xrd). i havent even really noticed a bad attitude towards the new games...i mean you get jiyuna calling GG players elitist or some shit but i havent seen much evidence of it.

Yes, I know who N-O is lol.

You have to dig a bit but there are still some people who still share the sentiment back from '09. Just like how there will always be ST elitists towards 3S and 3S towards SF4.
It's a vicious cycle. :<
OGs gonna be OGs.

I'm prepared to make it out of pools at Evo

Nothing else even matters

I want to do this next year too.

But I'm going to wait until the Evo game announcement before I settle on what I'll grind out for Evo, though I know I'll be playing Smash 4 and I don't see myself playing Marvel anymore (especially since I haven't played since Evo).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Just a side note, when UNIEL came out Jiyuna was making "new player" rooms to practice Waldestein infinites in on top of referring to the the game as something along the lines of a poor man's BB so I mean....

Shingin

Namco killed their chance of a tournament scene by not releasing the game with a LAN mode. Connecting to the internet being the only way for 2v2 is a huge oversight. Plus it requires an online pass. Double LOL.

Didn't stop us the last 3 years running it at evo as a side game. Evo 2014 there were 8 stations setup running perfectly fine. We run the same type of setup with VectorStrike at Super Arcade.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
LMAO, really?

Trolling is his shtick

I think he's a good player and I appreciated his match analysis streams for vanilla P4A a few years back, but the guy really shouldn't be treated as a face of the community I feel. It's only going to give you the wrong idea

CurlyW

I am confident that NRS has never paid to get one of their games into Evo. They don't have the money.

It's Warner Bros. who paid.

I want to do this next year too.

But I'm going to wait until the Evo game announcement before I settle on what I'll grind out for Evo, though I know I'll be playing Smash 4 and I don't see myself playing Marvel anymore (especially since I haven't played since Evo).

I think there's something to be said about the fundamentals that carry through from game to game. Since you have some months until the games are actually announced, it wouldn't hurt to raise your base level of skill while you wait.

I'm planning on focusing on BB, DOA, and SF until announcements drop.

And Dengeki, of course.

Shouta

Yeah, this is the stuff I was looking for. People probably should've called them out on that year because it seems really apparent. It's not proof but it's easier to draw a damning conclusion. However, sponsorship is not the same as paying for a game to be in nor is paying for their own room/stream setup.

At the same time why wouldn't he just say it's gotten some good numbers at majors and the decision was made to add it. Bad PR if he was indeed paid off for it.

Well, considering the situation that year with the hall, stream, and all that it's a pretty solid conclusion. No one's going to freely admit it though. Of the last 3 years worth of Evo, 2013 was easily the worst one to me. So many things just made me go "wat"

Didn't stop us the last 3 years running it at evo as a side game. Evo 2014 there were 8 stations setup running perfectly fine. We run the same type of setup with VectorStrike at Super Arcade.

But scaling up would be a nightmare for a number of reasons. Bandai-Namco dumb decisions aside, the game just doesn't scale well for larger tourney numbers.

My EVO prediction:

Ultra
Marvel
MKX
New Smash
GGXrd
KI
maybe BB.

And a side Omega thing on Saturday night. And a side ST thing again.

And for my lonely heart, SC5.

Nyoro SF

Right now I'm just playing Skullgirls cause the netcode is the best I've ever played and there's lots of players online too on PC.

Capcom borked the USF4 netcode and BBCP isn't fun anymore for me to play.

I'm debating whether I want to pass on P4U2 given how crazy it is (I was recently playing it for the first time in the past few days). I'm not sure what to think about it. One moment you're in control, and the next moment momentum entirely shifts against you and you die to safe jumps/being forced to spend meter on roll escapes or a shadow combo.

having mk9 take a whole hall and get stream time compared to other games that would've gladly taken those slots, that shit never made any sense. It was nice to see that blind kenshin player but damn did mk9 pools being streamed make no god damn sense

Prototype

I don't think Melee should be in this year. Let Smash 4 have a year to itself, then see how it'll go for the year after.
Agreed with this 100%. Let melee and the abortion that is project m be run as side tournaments.

Edit. I'd like like to see a side omega sf4 tournament too. Maybe have the Grand finals on stream or something for fun. I think it's be pretty hype.

smurfx

get some go again
Agreed with this 100%. Let melee and the abortion that is project m be run as side tournaments.

Edit. I'd like like to see a side omega tournament too.
has there ever been a game at evo that was made a side game even though it might end up getting the 2nd most entrants? the melee community doesn't deserve to be some sideshow.

Anne

I'm debating whether I want to pass on P4U2 given how crazy it is (I was recently playing it for the first time in the past few days). I'm not sure what to think about it. One moment you're in control, and the next moment momentum entirely shifts against you and you die to safe jumps/being forced to spend meter on roll escapes or a shadow combo.

Really, I love P4U but if you're not a fan of getting blown up that game might not be for you lol it does not get better nor can you stop it, sometimes a hit happens and then the next round starts.

alstein

My EVO prediction:

Ultra
Marvel
MKX
New Smash
GGXrd
KI
maybe BB.

And a side Omega thing on Saturday night. And a side ST thing again.

And for my lonely heart, SC5.

Mine right now
Ultra
Marvel
New Smash
MKX
KI
Xrd
community choice game- no idea where that will go.

Too bad there isn't more 3d fighters, there could be a 3d fighter version of EVO done by someone :p

Didn't the Tekken community consider doing this at one point- inviting in the SC,VF, and DOA folks? Heard rumors about something last year.

Dahbomb

Too early to call EVO line up yet.

Let's at least wait for Smash and GGXrd. Who knows there might even be a T7 version before EVO 2015.

This year there are going to be a ton of games in contention. I do honestly believe that KOF is done for in 2015 because too many games will be going for the spot.

USF4 (guaranteed)
UMVC3 (guaranteed)
Smash 4/Melee (one Smash game is guaranteed, it's really up in the air if they want Melee or not)
GGXrd (I would have to say that this is pretty likely, I really see why not)
MKX (if it's released before EVO it will be in the line up, period)
BBCP (good showing at EVO... if it's one thing that EVO likes is hype GFs. Expect BBCP to possibly get the KOF treatment)
KI 2nd season (money hats gonna money hats etc)

Toss ups:

KOFXIII (I want this in just so that Tokido has one more shot at the title)
Injustice (still has life blood left in the game)
DOA5 (so much support from the devs, not enough from the FGC)
UNIEL (the new anime game that a lot of people are liking but with GGXrd/BBCP this might be a case of cannablization)
P4U2 (not enough traction from the anime community, the anime selection is actually a bit too crowded this year... this is the most likely one to get the axe)

Shouta

I wouldn't mind having P4U2 in Evo this year but it's very unlikely with Xrd coming and BBCP's reception this year being absolutely insane.

Nyoro SF

Really, I love P4U but if you're not a fan of getting blown up that game might not be for you lol it does not get better nor can you stop it, sometimes a hit happens and then the next round starts.

I'm weighing my options! So clearly the few ways you can deal with the insanity is to avoid it by playing another style entirely (pick Yosuke, Teddie) or deal equivalent damage in return (pick S. Naoto, S. Chie, S. Mitsuru, Mitsuru, Narukami, Minazuki, Akihiko).

If Arc won't balance the game for months until console characters are released for arcade, I will probably pick Teddie and force my own game.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
wizard if you're reading this, and I know you probably are, don't put ultra in the final timeslot on sunday. make it 2nd last.

Top Bottom