• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournaments Weekend: The Girly Show finally gets a tournament

Tripon

Welcome to The Fighting games Tournament Weekend thread.

Note: If you have an interest in discussing the Fighting Game Community, consider joining the Fighting Game Community thread where we try to talk about what is happening in the FGC.

As always, if you see an infographic for a FGC tournament, it was likely made by acekingoffsuit. The guy makes stream schedules for every major tournament and he does it for free. You can find his twitter account here: https://twitter.com/acekingoffsuit

Also, Malice215's FGC Calendar was used to help get more information on tournaments. Malice215 (also a gaffer) spends much of his free time maintaining the FGC Calendar

The big tournament this week is the Tokyo Game Show Capcom Cup premier tournament hosted by Madcatz. Karin was already revealed at TGS this week, and some people are happy, some people are sad, and if you are just looking at the reveal thread, people in general go fucking crazy discussing this character.

Anyway, Madcatz is hosting the two day event at TGS and they have the schedule here. All times listed are local time.

TOKYO GAME SHOW 2015 – DAY 1
The first public day, Saturday, Sept. 19th is a fun filled day of fighting game action featuring some of the best games out now and some new ones on the horizon! Below is our schedule for the day (NOTE: all times are Japan standard time):

10 AM – 11:45 AM JST – TOPANGA: Ultra Street Fighter IV – Japanese University Competition Qualifiers
Competitors from Kanagawa University, Kokugakuin University, Komazawa University, Hokkaido University, Niigata University and Kyoto Institute of Technology battle it out in a round robin 3V3 tournament! We will round out the competition until we have the final top two school teams.

12:15 PM – 12:45 PM JST – MARVELOUS! Nitro Plus Blasters – Heroines Infinite Duel
The producer of this new fighting game title, Masayuki Harada, will be joined by AP Mikky as they show off the first preview of playable character ‘Super Sonico’ and some other surprises for the TGS crowd!

1:00 PM – 1:30 PM JST – Capcom’s Monster Hunter Frontier G X Team Mad Catz
Monster Hunter Frontier G producers Teruki Miyashita and Ryo Sekino join forces with Street Fighter producers Koichi Sugiyama and Tomoaki Ayano as they hunt with Team Mad Catz’ Daigo, Mago and Tokido!

1:45 PM – 2:30 PM JST – Arc System Works’ GUILTY GEAR XRD – SIGN-

Arc System Works’ battle director Pachi will join us for a special exhibition between top Guilty Gear players!

3:00 PM – 4:00 PM JST – TOPANGA: Ultra Street Fighter IV – Japanese University Competition FINALS

The top two qualified schools battle in an epic 3V3 team battle to crown the champion rival school!

4:00 PM – 5:00 PM JST – Ultra Street Fighter IV – Dream Match Exhibition – 3V3
The Mad Catz fighting game team of Daigo Umehara, Mago and Tokido will take on the EVO 2015 top players, which consists of EG Momochi, GamerBee and INFILTRATION!
- See more at: http://madcatz.com/join-mad-catz-tokyo-game-show-2015/#sthash.tmicGvKR.dpuf

Day 2 starts on Sunday JP time and features 64 of the best players the world can offer in Ultra. Actually, I lied since Madcatz decided that Momochi, the guy who won EVO 2015 and Capcom cup 2014 isn't good enough to play in the tournament, and then they had the gall to replace him with KBrad. That's like your parents promising you to take you to Disneyland, and instead take you to Scandia. But I digress, listed below is the 4 blocks of players.
MadCatz_TGS_Tournament_USFIV_JP_A_Block.jpg

MadCatz_TGS_Tournament_USFIV_JP_B_Block.jpg

MadCatz_TGS_Tournament_USFIV_JP_C_Block.jpg

MadCatz_TGS_Tournament_USFIV_JP_D_Block.jpg

You can watch the streams here:

Streams:
Tokyo Game Show Day 1:
English: http://www.twitch.tv/madcatz
Japanese: http://www.twitch.tv/madcatzjp

Tokyo Game Show Day 2:
http://www.twitch.tv/capcomfighters

Next up is Dreamhack London.

Dreamhack is a series of convention tournaments that focus on all eSports games that has moved steadily into fighting games. At Dreamhack London, Ultra Street Fighter IV ($5,000 pot bonus), Melee ($20,000 pot bonus!) and an exhibition tournament for Street Fighter V will be happening this weekend.

Here is the schedule by game:

7NJ9zlI.png

Here is the schedule by stream:

wcM32PS.png

You can watch Dreamhack London at:

http://www.twitch.tv/DreamHackFighters
http://www.twitch.tv/DreamHackSmash

Next up is HTC Throwdown. Hosted at the Folsom Street Foundry where weekly Smash Melee, Smash 4, and Ultra street fighter IV tournaments happen in a bar. HTC decided to host a Smash tournament despite having no money and deciding the best way to spend $12,000 was to give it to a person who plays Smash.

It's a one day Tournament
September 19, 2015
Tournament Schedule:

9:00AM Doors Open/Check-in
10:00AM Singles Wave 1 (11 pools) Doubles will happen concurrently
11:30AM Singles Wave 2 (11 pools) Doubles
1:00PM Singles Wave 3 (10 pools) Doubles
3:00PM Round 2 Wave 1 (48 players) Doubles
4:30PM Round 2 Wave 2 (48 players)
6:30PM Doubles Top 4
8:00PM Singles Top 8

You can watch it here:
Main Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/htc
Side Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/showdownsmash

I'm sure there's more tournament action going on, so if you have something to share, please post it in the thread. Enjoy this weekend.

phaonaut

Thanks for the thread Tripon.

Do you know if the Madcatz tourney is single or dbl elimination? Also, stop hating on the kbrad lol

Tripon

Day two of TGS tournament should start at 7pm PST/10pm EST, but I'm not sure yet. Acekingoffsuit will make an schedule when he can for TGS.

"HTC decided to host a Smash tournament despite having no money and deciding the best way to spend $12,000 was to give it to a person who plays Smash."

When you put it that way it's hilarious. I'm still stunned that this tournament is a thing.

Tripon

"HTC decided to host a Smash tournament despite having no money and deciding the best way to spend $12,000 was to give it to a person who plays Smash."

When you put it that way it's hilarious. I'm still stunned that this tournament is a thing.

I just don't understand HTC's angle to getting into Smash, or any other fighting game. They don't sell energy drinks (Redbull, Monster), they don't sell peripherals (Madcatz, Hori), they aren't making a game that would appeal to Smash players. They are not going to create a FGC/Smash eSports team. They decided to sponsor and host a Melee tournament for some reason.

I just don't understand HTC's angle to getting into Smash, or any other fighting game. They don't sell energy drinks (Redbull, Monster), they don't sell peripherals (Madcatz, Hori), they aren't making a game that would appeal to Smash players. They are not going to create a FGC/Smash eSports team. They decided to sponsor and host a Melee tournament for some reason.

Best i got is that somebody in a position of power loves melee to death and really oversold the potential for marketing htc products to whoever holds the purse strings. Otherwise they must have some secret metrics that make it seem logical to them.

phaonaut

This is just an exhibition right? The madcatz tourney will happen on Twitch Topanga right?

Since Mike Ross and others are there, do you think there is a chance of getting an english stream?

Edit: jbub answered the first question, thanks

Rainy

Banned
This is just an exhibition right? The madcatz tourney will happen on Twitch Topanga right?

Since Mike Ross and others are there, do you think there is a chance of getting an english stream?

Edit: jbub answered the first question, thanks

last year zhi and mike ross did commentary (iirc) so yeah I would expect it.

Horseress

It is confirmed Necalli is now a charge character? Have only heard rumors...and by watching Fuudo play him now it didn't seem like it

Tripon

The CPT premiere tournament is tomorrow and airing on capcom fighters twitch channel like every other premiere tournament. Zhi is there so he's going to commentate for sure. The question is who is going to be his partner.

HardRojo

The CPT premiere tournament is tomorrow and airing on capcom fighters twitch channel like every other premiere tournament. Zhi is there so he's going to commentate for sure. The question is who is going to be his partner.
Hopefully two other people so he doesn't commentate. Or at least someone who makes him focus on the match most of the time instead of following up his "jokes".

Gonna check the schedule for TGS. I want to see some high level USF4.

It is confirmed Necalli is now a charge character? Have only heard rumors...and by watching Fuudo play him now it didn't seem like he's a charge character

There was a picture of Necalli's updated move list and he has charge moves now. Can't find it at the moment

Blah, SFV on the main TGS stream for nico... of course they have "real players" but the quality of the video is so low, you can't see shit.

Oh well.

TaterTots

Banned
If this thread is about tournaments this weekend I'd like to point out there will be a $100 money match between Yomi Forever King and Cr WoundCowboy in MKX tonight. The loser has to use a handle chosen by the community for the rest of the year at tournaments. A tournament will follow afterwards.

Can be watched at 8 est. www.twitch.tv/yomi_gaming

If this thread is specifically about what's in the op I'll delete my post.

Tripon

If this thread is about tournaments this weekend I'd like to point out there will be a $100 money match between Yomi Forever King and Cr WoundCowboy in MKX tonight. The loser has to use a handle chosen by the community for the rest of the year at tournaments. A tournament will follow afterwards.

Can be watched at 8 est. www.twitch.tv/yomi_gaming

If this thread is specifically about what's in the op I'll delete my post.
Stuff like this is very welcome.

Top Bottom