• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
A single scaled figure usually costs between 880-1280 yen for un registered sal. A figma or nendoroid might cost 580 yen if it doesn't come with a ton if accessories.

I was in the process of ordering through my phone but I was like 10 minutes from my work and figured I'd wait and order from the computer there. Didn't think it'd re-sell out so quickly.

I consider myself lucky that I stick mostly to scaled figures. I haven't caught the D-arts / figma bug.

Also, tomorrow is my birthday. Everyone buy me toys.

chrono01

Official Miku 2020 shots are up:

o0400060012630561960.jpg

o0530043212630561633.jpg

Price is 11,800 JPY. Samurai and Hacker were 9,333 for reference. She's not that much more complex so it looks like a Miku tax to some extent. I also wonder if she's SALable with that hair.

Assumedly pre-orders will be any day now and needless to say, I'm buying her.
This will be me tonight and all subsequent days during AmiAmi's update times until I secure her pre-order.

f0hvb.gif

I must have her!

sky

I'm kinda surprised you guys like that Miku... I mean, the body is great, but you don't think she's a butterface?
Her eyes look so odd, like she's not focused on anything.

I love the style however, and everything else about it. Although she'll be a shelf hog!

I feel like her eyes should be more like this:
(excuse the paint hack)
mod_zpsdaf26191.jpg

johnsmith

remember me
I'm kinda surprised you guys like that Miku... I mean, the body is great, but you don't think she's a butterface?

I love the style however, and everything else about it. Although she'll be a shelf hog!

(excuse the paint hack)
mod_zpsdaf26191.jpg

I'm buying it because I like the Max Factory 7th Dragon 2020 line and i'm going to buy them all. The sculptor is my favorite and I really like the artist behind the concept images. These latest pics do make her face look better than earlier shots and I'm confident she'll look amazing in person next to Samurai and Hacker.

LiK

Iron Man Silver Centurion is up for preorder at SS. $250. Preordered.

They also have Starcraft Raynor 1/6 figure up but he's $500(!). Gonna pass. He's more expensive than the Tychus statue that I got years ago.

I'm glad I only play Starcraft's multiplayer. I have no idea who that guy is and don't feel the urge to buy, for once.

I'm buying it because I like the Max Factory 7th Dragon 2020 line and i'm going to buy them all. The sculptor is my favorite and I really like the artist behind the concept images. These latest pics do make her face look better than earlier shots and I'm confident she'll look amazing in person next to Samurai and Hacker.

Agreed. I also think you can make a look of figures look weird with selective macro shots. The fully body shots are more telling for me, based on how I view my figures. Miku looks fantastic viewed that way, in my opinion. The pose is confident and unique, the splashes of colour look great next to the black and white and the sculpt is dead on. Miwa Shirow's work is more deserving of figures than most and the fact that they're being done by Shining Wizard/Max Factory makes them no-brainers for me.

Also since I value hair so much, Miku has a distinct advantage :p

LiK

Cap and Joe are overpriced to me. Maybe cuz they made them con exclusives. Gonna pass on both. I don't really like the look, tbh.

Captain is a big maybe for me, I'll have to wait to see how much Adam West and Celtic Predator are going to cost me first
Same. Adam West Batman and the Stiker Eureka statue take precedence for me. I'm trying really hard not to do anything else for *this* year from a Hot Toys/Sideshow perspective. Most of what I have preordered has a 2014 release date.

Oh, my Hathaway Catwoman shipped.:D Sideshow offered me early processing and I took it. Should have it next week hopefully.

SUPARSTARX

Cap and Joe are overpriced to me. Maybe cuz they made them con exclusives. Gonna pass on both. I don't really like the look, tbh.

Yeah they are very overpriced. But I think Joe will flip for good. If I don't like it in hand, I might just sell it loose.

chrono01

wow jan release?

So I got.... GSC idol master, Queen's Blade Alleyne, and Miku =O shiattttt

You have no idea how happy I am that it's a January release. I'm done for pre-orders in 2013, although I did make an exception for Lab Coat Kurisu, so I'm not sure I would have been able to get her otherwise.

...Okay, I still would have managed it, although I likely would have had to "try" to cancel one of my current pre-orders to make room for her. Since I order through AmiAmi, I'd really like to avoid cancelling anything if I can help it.

(excuse the paint hack)
mod_zpsdaf26191.jpg
She looks different because she's done in the same art-style as Samurai/Hacker from 7th Dragon 2020 [artist Miwa Shirou]. She's based off of the original artwork for the game and is virtually identical which is impressive. But then, this is Shining Wizard/Max Factory we're talking about here, so it's to be expected. :)

i3cU2gfpZduKl.jpg

I'm definitely collecting any and all figures from the 7th Dragon 2020 line. They're incredible.

You have no idea how happy I am that it's a January release. I'm done for pre-orders in 2013, although I did make an exception for Lab Coat Kurisu, so I'm not sure I would have been able to get her otherwise.

Dude, if it was a December release I'd be freaking the fuck out. Glad it's not until next year, as I don't have any 2014 pre-orders yet.

Hey, tomorrow's my birthday, too. :)

Awesome people have August 2nd birthdays.

It's true.

sky

Futurevoid said:
Oh, my Hathaway Catwoman shipped.:D Sideshow offered me early processing and I took it. Should have it next week hopefully.
Gonna do the makeup mod? ;) (or was that the final look?)

Yeah it sucks those are collectors edition exclusives, but what Japanese figures cost hundreds of dollars that you want? Very few things in my collection cost more than $100 even after shipping.

If you are looking at eBay prices, those aren't realistic and you can find stuff cheaper other places.

Okay maybe it's all about finding the right places because I've had my eye on a few things but I always run into the most ridiculous prices.

Like for example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valkyria-Chronicles-Selvaria-Bles-1-6-PVC-Figure-Enter-Brain-/251258076653?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8025fded

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Highschool-of-The-Dead-Rei-Miyamoto-PVC-figure-Chara-Ani-Japan-New-/190879160389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7148d845

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinu-Nishimura-Vampire-Savior-Morrigan-1-6-PVC-Figure-Max-Factory-Japan-/281140863587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41754d2263

I get the feeling stuff like this you HAVE to preorder and pay well before release or your fucked forever. If some of this stuff is in such demand and fetch for a high price why don't companies make more? Are these kinda figures really expensive to make or something?

Giolon

Okay maybe it's all about finding the right places because I've had my eye on a few things but I always run into the most ridiculous prices.

Like for example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valkyria-Chronicles-Selvaria-Bles-1-6-PVC-Figure-Enter-Brain-/251258076653?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8025fded

Have it!

She's the single most expensive item in my collection, even at the original price I paid. FWIW, this figure is now going for $400+ in the second hand shops in Japan too.

Still wish I had picked this up back when she came out, but my better sensibilities held me back. I mean she's almost all exposed boob.

I get the feeling stuff like this you HAVE to preorder and pay well before release or your fucked forever.

Sometimes that's how they play out :( But if you keep your eye open and look in the right places (ebay, mandarake, MFC.net ads, yahoo auctions, visit akihabara & nakano yourself), you may just luck out.

Or you can hope a new figure gets made of the character you're looking for. One of my holy grails has been P3 Elizabeth: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Persona-3-Fes-Elizabeth-1-8-PVC-Figure-Alter-/360537684569

But now there's a D-Arts pose able figure and a great looking new PVC coming too!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Awesome people have August 2nd birthdays.

It's true.

It's certainly a train of thought I've always subscribed to

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinu-Nishimura-Vampire-Savior-Morrigan-1-6-PVC-Figure-Max-Factory-Japan-/281140863587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41754d2263

I get the feeling stuff like this you HAVE to preorder and pay well before release or your fucked forever. If some of this stuff is in such demand and fetch for a high price why don't companies make more? Are these kinda figures really expensive to make or something?

I think we're about due for another Morrigan figure.

johnsmith

remember me

Like for example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Highschool-of-The-Dead-Rei-Miyamoto-PVC-figure-Chara-Ani-Japan-New-/190879160389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7148d845

Jesus, you have expensive tastes. You aren't going to get that Morrigan or Selvaria cheaply. That's for sure. But you can get them cheaper. There's a scratched Morrigan here for $373 http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-terraformer/item/200000019825/ and there's been a couple of Mandarake for around $400.

That Selvaria goes from $250 opened to as high as $450 unopened on mandarake.

The Rei figure pops up on mandarake and amiami preowned for $40-50, so that's pretty affordable. You just have to setup alerts on figinstock or search from time to time.

The reason they don't keep pumping them out even after they rise in price is because they're collectibles, and so people will preorder them and keep buying them. The reason so many of us have so many orders at one time is so we don't have to be in a position later on to have missed out on figures we wanted. If we knew we could buy any figure at any time for MSRP it would remove a lot of the impulse to keep buying them. If they rereleased every popular figure, they'd make some short term profit at the expense of their long term profit.

That said, rereleases aren't completely unheard of, and it does happen. Alter's Momohime and Yamato's Velvet were figures that I had always wanted even before I started collecting, but there was no way I was going to buy them for $200+. But fortunately they both got rereleased this year.

Just keep watching this thread, and check out a couple of the shops and blogs in the OT and you'll find stuff you'll want that can be bought or preordered right now for sure. I have 10 figures preordered, and another 8 that I know I'll order as soon as they become available, so they are definitely still putting out great new figures.

First off, if there's a figure you really want, pre-ordering is always the best option. It gives you peace of mind, and you almost never have to pay for it until it actually ships.

Now as far as production runs go, the bishoujo figure line from Kotobukiya is a bit of an exception, as there are usually plenty of any given figure floating around for a while until they get scarce. You can even get them from Amazon. But most companies make a certain number precisely because they don't want to deal with the possibility of extra stock sitting around on shelves that they might need to discount to get rid of. If a particular figure proves to be extremely popular, a company may choose to reissue said figure. Though it's relatively uncommon compared to the vast number of these things that get released. So it's best not to count on them.

This is very much a proactive hobby.

It's now August 2nd in the UK, happy birthday Freezasaurus and GuardianE =D

Thanks! :D

He looks AWESOME. Thanks for sharing!

He is awesome, my only complaint is that it's a bitch to get the glasses to stay on. Also the little cat that comes with it is not attached to its stand; it's not that big of a deal now that I think about it because then you could use it for photosets but I was a little annoyed by it at first.

As of now I only have Alleyne and 7th Dragon 2020 Hatsune Miku for January. Hopefully it stays that way, I'm trying to cut down on my purchases for 2014 [I know, good luck with that ~_~].

Yeah, Miku is my only January figure so far. If I can keep it to one or two figures per month, I'll be happy. All I really want so far are some Attack on Titan figures, the two Megahouse Dragon's Crown figures (assuming they don't get the same insane pricing that Labby did), and the Alter Labrys.

LiK

i really don't get the appeal of Miku. i have the localized game preordered tho. maybe i'll become a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom