• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT2| NSFWallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

Just a heads up, the Pokecen has apparently said that they may stop taking Red pre-orders early.

https://twitter.com/denkimouse/status/470773524097822720

Sunyshore's got enough pre-orders secured for what's left on her web store, so if you want to be guaranteed to get one, now is the time.

I'm pretty happy I got mine in when they were still $75.

Yeah, I think I'll just cut my losses and not get it. It isn't that deep.

God what a clusterfuck.

chrono01

Just a heads up, the Pokecen has apparently said that they may stop taking Red pre-orders early.

Sunyshore's got enough pre-orders secured for what's left on her web store, so if you want to be guaranteed to get one, now is the time.

I guess I'll need to make up my mind soon.

Oh, and to add even more insult to injury, the English GSC site has a listing for Red.

http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/4413/Nendoroid+Red.html

~_~

This is a good idea that maybeeeeeee they should look into making more and not being limited to two stores.

chrono01

So I'm going though the cost in my head.

IF GSC offered Red on their online site, he would be 4,500 yen at least, possibly even more [for International sales]. That, combined with the default 2,000 yen EMS shipping rate, means [at the cheapest] he'll be 6,500 yen. That, converted over into CDN, is around $70 [not including any additional fees]. That's around $28 cheaper than ordering from SunyShore, but I will essentially be guaranteed one this way. Is it worth saving, the $28 extra dollars, for a chance that he might be available somewhere else? Somewhere, more readily accessible for us? That's assuming they charge the same 4,500 yen as in Japan. If they increase it further, say to 5,000 or even 5,500 yen [maybe to pay for licensing or whatever], that's even less saved. ~_~

Yes, a lot of thought [and a bit of paranoia] involved here.

I know. >_<

BUT IT'S RED! [I know, it doesn't matter to some.]

But you're essentially considering paying double list price for a Nendoroid. That would be inconceivable were it a scaled figure. You could buy a nice scaled figure for that price. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but you need to figure out for yourself how much is too much. Weigh the cost, versus how much you really want it.

Also, if anyone wanted that Yamato Girls Makoto Harada, cdJapan got dat shit brand new for 5880 JPY.

Ken

But you're essentially considering paying double list price for a Nendoroid. That would be inconceivable were it a scaled figure. You could buy a nice scaled figure for that price. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but you need to figure out for yourself how much is too much. Weigh the cost, versus how much you really want it.

i'm pretty sure chrono has unlimited munies

chrono01

That's why I don't have him ordered yet. :(

I keep looking at the pre-orders from AmiAmi. I mean, for that price I could grab Honoka Kosaka, or two of any other Nendoroid. It's almost the same cost as Wing's Sansai Muramasa too, as well as Amakuni's version [although I hate what they did to the color of her skin]. Those are full-scaled, dynamic figures. As much as I would like a Nendoroid from Red, I'm finding it impossible for me to hit that order button. Probably for the better.

If this were the only thing I ordered, fine. No problem. But it's not, and I have the upcoming months to budget for.

Bleh, I'll sleep on it. If it's sold out by morning, then that at least takes the temptation away.

i'm pretty sure chrono has unlimited munies
If only. :/

I'm pretty sure he's living in a house made of figure boxes at this point... Don't be fooled just because he opted to pay for internet over his mortgage.
I could probably fashion a pretty decent house out of my figure boxes, I'm not going to lie. Not sure it would hold up to rain, though.

Meeps

So I'm going though the cost in my head.

IF GSC offered Red on their online site, he would be 4,500 yen at least, possibly even more [for International sales]. That, combined with the default 2,000 yen EMS shipping rate, means [at the cheapest] he'll be 6,500 yen. That, converted over into CDN, is around $70 [not including any additional fees]. That's around $28 cheaper than ordering from SunyShore, but I will essentially be guaranteed one this way. Is it worth saving, the $28 extra dollars, for a chance that he might be available somewhere else? Somewhere, more readily accessible for us? That's assuming they charge the same 4,500 yen as in Japan. If they increase it further, say to 5,000 or even 5,500 yen [maybe to pay for licensing or whatever], that's even less saved. ~_~

Yes, a lot of thought [and a bit of paranoia] involved here.

Ack, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the Sunyshore option when it was still at $70. I'd be shocked if this isn't re-released in some form in the near future, but it sounds like you REALLY want it. No shame in it if you can afford it!

Fireblend

Banned
So, I'm totally ignorant of the figure world, but what's the deal with Red? Why does it seem to be so limited? I had no trouble ordering the Wind Waker nendoroid when it went up for preorder... last month? Is it supposed to be a rare edition or something?

kewlmyc

Also, if anyone wanted that Yamato Girls Makoto Harada, cdJapan got dat shit brand new for 5880 JPY.

I would agree with you if not for the fact that I'm paying $200 for Demon Homura.

Einbroch

Banned
I want Red, but the way they're handling it really sours me. The money isn't the issue, but I wouldn't feel right spending so much extra money for no real reason besides "because".

I would agree with you if not for the fact that I'm paying $200 for Demon Homura.

Yes, well, you're a crazy person.

So, I'm totally ignorant of the figure world, but what's the deal with Red? Why does it seem to be so limited? I had no trouble ordering the Wind Waker nendoroid when it went up for preorder... last month? Is it supposed to be a rare edition or something?

He's exclusive, meaning he's only available from a small number of retailers. In this case, two, I believe. The rest are just orders through proxy services that in turn are getting their inventory from one of the original sources.

chrono01

Ack, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the Sunyshore option when it was still at $70. I'd be shocked if this isn't re-released in some form in the near future, but it sounds like you REALLY want it. No shame in it if you can afford it!
No worries man.

I do really want it, but the more I think about it, I more content I am with passing. Einbroch's comment above is true. If I can't pay retail, for an item released in the near future, or close to it, that's their loss not mine. Well, technically it is my loss, but even still...

just buy a mic for coil with the money you save by not getting red
iORBGqyXDgzr5.gif

I want Red, but the way they're handling it really sours me. The money isn't the issue, but I wouldn't feel right spending so much extra money for no real reason besides "because".
Agreed.

javac

Some kids gonna buy Red and down the line he's gonna need to pay off some bills or he's going to be low on funds and he'll pop that sucker on Mandarake or Amazon. Some scalpers are going to buy these and try to get rid of them and you'll find decent prices.

As far as I'm aware he's made to order. People will be buying plenty from the Pokémon stores. Some will be sold for extortionate amounts but they won't be able to move any and you'll see them get cheaper. Many limited figures have sold out never to be seen again and doubled in price but many find a way. And you know for a fact GSC are working overdrive to get this overseas. It's a lot of money on the table.

Go for it if you can't live with the idea of it disappearing forever but if you're that desperate, you'll find similar prices to 85usd down the line anyways. It's not like you've found yourself a bargin or anything. It's not impulse money clearly.

figma - Attack on Titan: Eren Yeager(Preorder)
Unit price 4,040 JPY x 1 unit(s) = 4,040 JPY

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - Panty 1/8 Complete Figure(Preorder)
Unit price 7,210 JPY x 1 unit(s) = 7,210 JPY

"Monogatari" Series Second Season - Large Mouse Pad
Unit price 450 JPY x 1 unit(s) = 450 JPY

paid for my order. 1.7k shipping sal reg

I imagine Crunchyroll might eventually get Red at a reasonable price.
CR has fucked a lot of people over when it comes to Limited Edition items.

Maiko Madoka was the big one and it was GSC partnered too. They took more orders than they could fulfilled then cancelled orders randomly. People were fucked and maiko madoka was like 15-16k by the time they receive cancellation notices.

chrono01

Some kids gonna buy Red and down the line he's gonna need to pay off some bills or he's going to be low on funds and he'll pop that sucker on Mandarake or Amazon. Some scalpers are going to buy these and try to get rid of them and you'll find decent prices.

As far as I'm aware he's made to order. People will be buying plenty from the Pokémon stores. Some will be sold for extortionate amounts but they won't be able to move any and you'll see them get cheaper. Many limited figures have sold out never to be seen again and doubled in price but many find a way. And you know for a fact GSC are working overdrive to get this overseas. It's a lot of money on the table.

Go for it if you can't live with the idea of it disappearing forever but if you're that desperate, you'll find similar prices to 85usd down the line anyways. It's not like you've found yourself a bargin or anything. It's not impulse money clearly.
Yeah, you're right. I think I'm convinced now. If he's made available for us International, I'll order him. If he's not, I'll try to find him for a reasonable price on the after-market. If I can't, I'll do without him. It's not the end of the world.

Honestly, it would surprise me, as you said, to see him become widely available a few months down the line. Nintendo, and GSC, would be insane to not do all they can to release outside of Japan. This could be one of those "timed" exclusives, similar to the Snow Miku Nendoroid's at WonderFes. Well, that's the hope anyway.

Fireblend

Banned
He's exclusive, meaning he's only available from a small number of retailers. In this case, two, I believe. The rest are just orders through proxy services that in turn are getting their inventory from one of the original sources.
Huh, I see. Kinda baffling considering I'd imagine it could be a very popular figure, it being Red and all. Not something a limited release would be adequate for.

Busaiku

Well, Red's not exactly a limited item, just exclusive to Japan.
Though I did get Mega Man from there, and that was way after Capcom stopped taking orders for it. Just basing it off of that.

They were selling her for $120, but I haggled them down to $100. Other vendors were selling her for $130-170.

err I meant more.

100 is like 20 bucks more (including shipping) than mandarake/amiami.

Just for future ref. Always check on figure prices on mandarake and amiami to get a general idea of what the market value is. American vendors always charge a premium. I remember at AX they were charging gisen from hyakka for 100-120...when she is still market valued at 40 bucks

err I meant more.

100 is like 20 bucks more (including shipping) than mandarake/amiami.

Just for future ref. Always check on figure prices on mandarake and amiami to get a general idea of what the market value is. American vendors always charge a premium. I remember at AX they were charging gisen from hyakka for 100-120...when she is still market valued at 40 bucks

Eh, for 20 bucks more it wasn't too bad of a rip off I guess. I'm willing to put up with the price since it was so convenient to just pick up and buy. Cons will always be a bit overpriced, but I'm happy nonetheless.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm done for a while. HLJ had the Yoshino Nendoroid back in stock and I snagged it. It was my most wanted Nendo when I started looking into them months ago, but I only recently had the financial means to get into collecting.

Pretty stoked! I'm not gonna visit any storefront for at least a month. I've already spent ~$230, no more.

For now.

raven777

moeyo has the sample images of EX Alleyen up. says it's "almost the retail version."

still not a fan of that shinny red leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom