• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Dark Schala said:
Yeah, I'm on board this ride. Some of the characters had me asking whether they were remotely balanced in the head. Good designs (except Zell and his Mike Tyson tattoo), but some of their personalities were not really appealing to me.

I really like their designs as well, but hate their characters. It felt like they went out of their way to give each them a "character flaw" that they would have to deal with during the game. Which could have been interesting! But instead the flaw absolutely consumes the rest of their character until they become one-note and predictable (and that one flaw begins to grate.) I like the design work and the fantasy-modern setting. It looks so awesome. If only I didn't have to hate the rest of the game. :/

Gravijah

i really like the... absurdity in the ps1 final fantasy games. they are very clearly video games, and i enjoy that.

realism sux. ;(

Regulus Tera said:
Gravijah now I'm convinced you are a Himuro alt.

i am my own person damn it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Gravijah said:
rinoaglare.jpg

I'm looking forward to
kill you first when you merge with Adel
. :(

Emitan

Gravijah said:
i really like the... absurdity in the ps1 final fantasy games. they are very clearly video games, and i enjoy that.

realism sux. ;(
castles dig underground and appear on another continent all the time

SO REAL

Beth Cyra

Lissar said:
I really like their designs as well, but hate their characters. It felt like they went out of their way to give each them a "character flaw" that they would have to deal with during the game. Which could have been interesting! But instead the flaw absolutely consumes the rest of their character until they become one-note and predictable (and that one flaw begins to grate.) I like the design work and the fantasy-modern setting. It looks so awesome. If only I didn't have to hate the rest of the game. :/
I don't agree with this. It's true Squall's issues lasted a bit longer then they should but he certainly started coming out of it and Rinoa wasn't that bad.

My issue with the majority of VIII's cast isn't that it was one note so much as it wasn't important to the writer/s because they focused so heavily on the Squall/Laguna and Squall/Rinoa relationship that the rest of the cast suffered for it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dark Schala said:
She somehow attached the dog to her weapon.

What about the physics of somehow launching the dog into an enemy using her weapon?

http://i.imgur.com/K96lM.gif

The other Angelo attacks somewhat make sense. It's just this one that's just @_@. The dog is bigger than her arm. She probably weighs more than Rinoa's arm.

Angelo propels itself by farting.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
TruePrime said:
I don't agree with this. It's true Squall's issues lasted a bit longer then they should but he certainly started coming out of it and Rinoa wasn't that bad.

My issue with the majority of VIII's cast isn't that it was one note so much as it wasn't important to the writer/s because they focused so heavily on the Squall/Laguna and Squall/Rinoa relationship that the rest of the cast suffered for it.

Squall was really the worst of it. His sudden change of heart was so awkward I couldn't even find it believable at 15.

Now that you bring up Laguna, though... yeah, Laguna was pretty awesome. If SE ever wants to make a game where you play as Laguna, Kiros and Ward, going on their adventures... I'd be all over that.

rataven

Dark Schala said:
Yeah, I'm on board this ride. Some of the characters had me asking whether they were remotely balanced in the head. Good designs (except Zell and his Mike Tyson tattoo), but some of their personalities were not really appealing to me.
It's a shame they didn't make Laguna the lead of VIII. He was refreshing. But wow, every other main cast member of VIII needed to be on a prescription med of one kind or another. There is no other character in any form of fiction that I dislike more than Squall Leonheart.

Beth Cyra

Lissar said:
Squall was really the worst of it. His sudden change of heart was so awkward I couldn't even find it believable at 15.

Now that you bring up Laguna, though... yeah, Laguna was pretty awesome. If SE ever wants to make a game where you play as Laguna, Kiros and Ward, going on their adventures... I'd be all over that.
I don't agree with this as I think you and pretty much who ever says he did it suddenly are completely wrong.

Squall was showing signs of attraction towards Rinoa long before his freak out and taking off with her.

meadowrag

Banned
Alright I've been scoping the FF Anthology on Amazon.
I can live with a bad translation, makes things comical. The biggest complaint I see are the load times. How much loading are we talking here? I'm a pretty patient guy, I think I could hang.

Emitan

rataven said:
There is no other character in any form of fiction that I dislike more than Squall Leonheart.
You should read A Song of Ice and Fire. Squall is nothing compared to Joffrey.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Billychu said:
why would she do that to boney
I think we've found the name for Rinoa's dog. :lol

Lissar said:
That's the thing that bugs me about it. Final Fantasy VIII has such wonderful design. The cinematics are cool, the Dollet mission is awesome, the town design and structure are gorgeous, the characters for the most part are well-designed, I'm fine with the junctioning system, the limit breaks look cool, the summons are awesome, and Triple Triad is the best minigame in any FF ever.

But it's unfortunate that, to me anyway, the narrative and characters are somewhat lacking. Laguna and Quistis were my favourites, but I think that's about it.

I thought Irvine was going to be okay until...

0dIkn.png

KilRC.png

Well... there's a reason for that, Irvine.

Gravijah said:

realism sux. ;(
I was half-joking. I like how silly the PS1 games can be at times. FF really needs that "poke fun at itself" humour again.

rataven

Billychu said:
You should read A Song of Ice and Fire. Squall is nothing compared to Joffrey.
I am. He's terrible all right (almost to the end of Game of Thrones). But I still loathe Squall more.

Dunan

OK folks, so thanks to all of you I'm getting the FF bug again.

I've got a 13-hour plane flight tomorrow (and a 2-hour train ride, and a long wait at the airport), and I need some entertainment.

I'm going to be bringing my PSP, and after finishing the main part of Valkyria Chronicles 3(it's great; they'd better translate it at some point, even if it's for Vita), I'm "between games", you could say.

The 16 GB memory stick I'm using now has several games ripped to it: FF4 for PSP (up to Eblan), FF8 (near the end of Disc 1), Xenogears (Disc 2, a few hours from the end, I think), Vagrant Story (haven't started), and FF9 (haven't started).

So what do I play?

Keep in mind that there'll be no internet or GameFAQs or GAF or anything; just me and my wits. (Unless the people sitting next to me have some tips. Not out of the question, come to think of it; all these games are classics.)

I had been planning to make my next FF8 playthrough on the Japanese version so that I could go through its script with a fine-toothed comb to look for mistranslations after defending AOS's fledgling effort online a while back, but I don't really have time to rip my J-discs so it'll have to be the US game if I choose FF8.

Any thoughts? I was going to continue with FF4 but now I'm not so sure.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
rataven said:
I am. He's terrible all right (almost to the end of Game of Thrones). But I still loathe Squall more.

Yah, you haven't seen anything yet... (in regards to Joff)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunan said:
So what do I play?

I had been planning to make my next FF8 playthrough on the Japanese version so that I could go through its script with a fine-toothed comb to look for mistranslations after defending AOS's fledgling effort online a while back, but I don't really have time to rip my J-discs so it'll have to be the US game if I choose FF8.

Any thoughts? I was going to continue with FF4 but now I'm not so sure.
Isn't FFVIII one of your favourites, or am I thinking of someone else? Go with that... unless you really want to check to see if there are any script mistranslations. If you're playing FFIV PSP and you're in the middle of that, I think it would be better to continue playing it.

But considering how long your commute is, I'm gonna say to go with an FF you really like. That sounds awful! I used to have 2-hour commutes when I went into the city for school so I was really happy to have Elite Beat Agents with me.

All this talk about FFVIII is making me want to play through it again, but I don't really have the time... I haven't played that game since I was in high school, and looking through the script as an adult, I think the game would make for a good comedy.

sE4k3.png

Ah, I didn't know Squall was friends with Shadow the Hedgehog. They should hang out more. But seriously, am I reading this for real right now?

hYw6q.png

...yeah.

Aeana

I juuust replayed FF8 last year, but I want to play it too. I'll start 9 tonight instead, though.
FF8 is one game I won't play in English just because I love the junction glitch too much. Putting ultima/regen on every stat = hellsyeah.gif And alas, my copy is packed up for the move. :(

Zoe

Dunan said:

What's this?

After playing the Japanese version, I was pretty disappointed with how the US version handled Squall among a few other things. Still need to finish that...

Beth Cyra

Aeana said:
I juuust replayed FF8 last year, but I want to play it too. I'll start 9 tonight instead, though.
FF8 is one game I won't play in English just because I love the junction glitch too much. Putting ultima/regen on every stat = hellsyeah.gif And alas, my copy is packed up for the move. :(
Wait, you can equip the same Magic to mutiple junctions in the JPN Version?

Aeana

TruePrime said:
Wait, you can equip the same Magic to mutiple junctions in the JPN Version?
Yep. There is a glitch with the way trading magic stocks between characters works that allows it to happen. It was fixed in the US version. The only real downside to playing the JP version of FF8 is that the junction transfer option on the party selection screen is not there - that was added to the US version. So whenever the party changes in the game, having to re-do all of my junctions is a bit of a pain.

Zoe

Aeana said:
Yep. There is a glitch with the way trading magic stocks between characters works that allows it to happen. It was fixed in the US version. The only real downside to playing the JP version of FF8 is that the junction transfer option on the party selection screen is not there - that was added to the US version. So whenever the party changes in the game, having to re-do all of my junctions is a bit of a pain.

Really? I could have sworn there was at least a person-to-person transfer.

Aeana

Zoe said:
Really? I could have sworn there was at least a person-to-person transfer.
You can trade stocks of spells (which is the key to the glitch, of course), but there is no option to transfer a set of junctions directly to another character like there is in the US version.

Beth Cyra

Aeana said:
I end up doing that half the time because when I came back the Junctions would never be ont he right people.

I've never played the game in JPN But now I really freaking want to. That would be awesome to have Ultima on every stat.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
These are the FF spinoffs I have yet to play, I'm thinking of playing one of these next... any recommendations?

-Crystal Chronicles
-Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
-Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King
-Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A Darklord
-Tactics Advance 2
-XII Revenant Wings
-Dirge of Cerberus
-FF4 "bridge" chapter between main game and After Years (this is probably what I'm gonna play next)
-Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon 2
-Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon Wii
-Chocobo Tales (started this game but didn't get very far, didn't like the minigame/card stuff)
-Chocobo Racing

rataven

Zerokku said:
Yah, you haven't seen anything yet... (in regards to Joff)
I'm definitely getting that feeling. And I do know how GoT ends.

My dislike for Squall is more tied to how his character was handled and developed than an inherent evilness, because he isn't really. It's only that his whole emotional development hinges on that orphanage and Rinoa, neither of which I thought made compelling plot points. I just ended up not liking him, rather than empathizing with him.

VIII is the only FF I've only played once, so I'm tempted to try again now that's been 10+ years. It'll be interesting to see if I feel differently about any of it as an adult.

Beth Cyra

Electivirus said:
No matter how many times I play XIII,
Barthandelus
always ends up kicking my ass. Man, fuck Destrudo. :mad:
During the whole game I ended having to use the same startegy on him for each fight.

Ravager/Ravager/Attacker Then when everyone got about half life I would swtich for Medic/Medic/Defender so every one was healed in about 15 seconds to full life and then go back to kicking his ass.

djtiesto said:
These are the FF spinoffs I have yet to play, I'm thinking of playing one of these next... any recommendations?

-Crystal Chronicles
-Tactics Advance 2
-XII Revenant Wings
-Dirge of Cerberus
-FF4 "bridge" chapter between main game and After Years (this is probably what I'm gonna play next)
-Chocobo Tales (started this game but didn't get very far, didn't like the minigame/card stuff)
-Chocobo Racing

Tactics A2 is the best of those, by far.

xxczx

Electivirus said:
Barthandelus
When I first faced him I always switched to MED/MED/SEN before he did Destrudo, after the fourth try I couldn't be bothered when he was charging up so I just went full force believing I would die.

Smart troll, Square Enix.

Aeana

djtiesto said:

-Crystal Chronicles
-Tactics Advance 2
-XII Revenant Wings
-Dirge of Cerberus
-Chocobo Racing
If you are a fan of SRPGs but don't care about a kind of awful but also fairly nonexistent story, you must play FFTA2. It is a wonderful evolution of the Tactics Ogre style SRPG.

Beyond that, Chocobo's Dungeon Wii is also pretty rad in my opinion.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Electivirus said:
Barthandelus

Hmm... I beat
Barthandelus
in one go. Found him pretty easy. :p

djtiesto said:

-Crystal Chronicles
-Tactics Advance 2
-XII Revenant Wings
-Dirge of Cerberus
-Chocobo Racing

The FF4 bridge chapter is really short, but the PSP FF4 is the definitive version.

The other games that I've played in your list is Chocobo Dungeon 2 and Chocobo Racing. Chocobo Dungeon got hard for me while I had a lot of fun with Chocobo Racing, especially with friends around. It was like my Mario Kart for PS1.

Dunan

Dark Schala said:
Isn't FFVIII one of your favourites, or am I thinking of someone else? Go with that... unless you really want to check to see if there are any script mistranslations. If you're playing FFIV PSP and you're in the middle of that, I think it would be better to continue playing it.

But considering how long your commute is, I'm gonna say to go with an FF you really like. That sounds awful! I used to have 2-hour commutes when I went into the city for school so I was really happy to have Elite Beat Agents with me.

No, you're correct; FFVIII is one of my favorites, though XII has beaten it by a mile. VIII is more of a nostalgic favorite since I was very busy when it first came out and wasn't intending to play it, then picked it up on a whim and played it just as I was starting my first job in the "real world", and after the long hours at work (Tokyo. 14-hour days are de rigueur) all I had the energy to do was pop in this game and thrill to a much more interesting "first mission".

I think FFVIII is going to get the nod. I'll be exhausted and sleep-deprived and want something that doesn't tax my reflexes or frustrate me in the least. (Thus the urge to finish VC3 before this trip!)

FFIX would do this too, but I've forgotten too much about that game and would miss lots of items, scenes, etc. FFVIII it is!

Aeana said:

The junction glitch is good, but IIRC you don't get the convenience of the "Exchange all that is junctioned" command that lets you switch setups between characters very easily. I loved having three setups, one of which contained all the "--- Up" bonuses and went to whoever was closest to gaining a level. Pumped up my stats very easily.

(Edit: beaten, and with a screenshot even!)

Now I know what I should do... bring the FFVIII Memorial Album book, which is basically a playthrough of the game with screenshots and all the dialogue transcribed, with me and read the Japanese lines in that book while playing the English version. It won't have the NPCs, but it's good enough!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmm... I'm in the mood for a portable game, and one that I'm really familiar with since I am going to be really busy in the next two weeks. I was thinking either:
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles via the Sonic Classic Collection on DS (to prep for Sonic Generations),
  • Final Fantasy VIII (PSP--because of all the FFVIII talk in this thread),
  • Final Fantasy IX (PSP--cuz Gravijah went through it recently and I'm in the mood),
  • Genso Suikoden I and II (PSP--because I haven't gone through either game yet this year).
Decisions, decisions...

djtiesto said:
Don't bother with Dirge of Cerberus. It can't decide whether or not it wants to be Devil May Cry or a pure shooter or Resident Evil. The only thing I liked about it was its soundtrack.... and maybe the graphics, I guess.

The FFIV Interlude is really short (90 minutes if you pace yourself well). You can artificially lengthen it by trying to get all the Bestiary entries, all of Rydia's summons, etc. But it isn't really worth it since nothing really transfers to TAY.

I liked Crystal Chronicles, but it's more fun with friends. Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon Wii has an awesome soundtrack, and I kinda liked it overall.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 has a lol story, but I liked its gameplay. Go with that one if you're fine with SRPGs.

Beth Cyra

djtiesto said:

-Crystal Chronicles
-Tactics Advance 2
-XII Revenant Wings
-Dirge of Cerberus
-Chocobo Racing
I will probably be the only one to vote for this but I really enjoyed XII RW.

It has some real problems and while the tone of the story is certainly different then that of XII, I found it very enjoyable.

I also think it really does add new stuff to Vaan and can even make some people change their opinon on him, he has some brilliant stuff in the game. Not only that it will add something to TA2 when you reach a certain point.

Boney

Banned
Dark Schala said:
It's FFIX. It's the one.

And he went through because I bugged him for a year because we were supposed to play it together and he never started it with me!

rataven

Dark Schala said:
Decisions, decisions...
I'll vote IX because then you'll get to hear all that amazing music.
Dark Schala said:
Don't bother with Dirge of Cerberus. It can't decide whether or not it wants to be Devil May Cry or a pure shooter or Resident Evil. The only thing I liked about it was its soundtrack.... and maybe the graphics, I guess.
Dirge of Cerberus is sort of fun in the 'it's so bad it's good' kind of way. The character designs are bonkers. I feel like I'm looking at someone's drug fueled design escapades when I see them. But there were a few interesting areas to visit, and it does have that rockin' soundtrack.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FFX-2: Crimson Sphere 4. Where the fuck is it? It's supposed to be LeBlanc's Mansion in Chapter 3. Go there, see a few scenes. Pick up a red sphere in what's his face (the fat ones) room, but it isn't in my Key Items. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. Don't tell me the game glitched on me.

dramatis

TheSeks said:
FFX-2: Crimson Sphere 4. Where the fuck is it? It's supposed to be LeBlanc's Mansion in Chapter 3. Go there, see a few scenes. Pick up a red sphere in what's his face (the fat ones) room, but it isn't in my Key Items. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. Don't tell me the game glitched on me.
It's not in fat guy's room. It's in the final room with the round door and the spherecomputer thing (I think??). Cutscenes kick you out of LeBlanc's mansion, you are actually supposed to go back and get it. It's not missable, so don't panic (I think??).

Hold the O button and run around near the crates, it's up there somewhere.

Don't let the amount of I think?? scare you off.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
dramatis said:
It's not in fat guy's room. It's in the final room with the round door and the spherecomputer thing (I think??). Cutscenes kick you out of LeBlanc's mansion, you are actually supposed to go back and get it. It's not missable, so don't panic (I think??).

Hold the O button and run around near the crates, it's up there somewhere.

Don't let the amount of I think?? scare you off.

I've been in there and I don't see a chest with it in it and the only chest I've seen in there is open. :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunan said:
FFVIII or IX! Put both on your PSP and play whichever strikes your fancy!
rataven said:
I'll vote IX because then you'll get to hear all that amazing music.
Boney said:
It's FFIX. It's the one.
Probably FFIX, then... mostly because I really love the town and background designs in that game and I like experiencing going through them over and over.

But I still get to make fun of FFVIII's narrative!

n7XCI.jpg

Er. That ICBM has not exploded. I don't think it'd be wise to... you know what? Yeah. Make it your hangout.

8v8HG.jpg

And this guy needs to be in my party. I'll exchange Zell for him since he apparently knows the fisticuffs. I bet his limit break would involve using that awesome collar somehow.

And about Odine... doesn't he make something called
Junction Machine Ellone? Would it not have been a better idea to find that thing and destroy it before Ultimecia ever got her hands on it in the future rather than go through with that time compression plan? Or am I misunderstanding something here since it's been a while since I've played this?

That reminds me... a lot of what I liked about FFVIII revolved around SeeD missions and Balamb Garden/Galbadia Garden. The battle in Dollet was really cool (and the BGMs--both the in-game and the demo versions--are awesome), the
first battle at Balamb Garden, and going down to the basement to turn it into a hovercraft
was awesome, and the final battle there towards the end of Disc 2 was one of my favourite moments in the game next to the Dollet mission. All three contain my favourite CG scenes in FFVIII as well.

TheSeks said:
I've been in there and I don't see a chest with it in it and the only chest I've seen in there is open. :/
Yeah, it's in LeBlanc's mansion, and it's in the room where you fought LeBlanc, Logos and Ormi in Chapter 2. Climb the boxes to the left of the room's entrance and get up on the ledge, walk to the other side of the ledge. It should be in the treasure chest up there.

djtiesto said:

-Crystal Chronicles
-Tactics Advance 2
-XII Revenant Wings
-Dirge of Cerberus
-Chocobo Racing

Tactics Advance 2 and Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon Wii are the only ones I would play. I don't even like rouguelike's that much but found Mysterious Dungeon Wii to be incredibly addictive. Some very awesome remixes of classic FF tunes, and the job system. Great production values too.

dramatis

TheSeks said:
CLIMB UP. There's a walkway running along a higher height, chest out of fixed-camera view.

Top Bottom