• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH |OT| 145.25GB OF Cloud Data

Are you playing in Graphics or Performance mode?

• Graphics

• Performance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Go_Ly_Dow

Man I love that the segment between Midgar and Junon is explorable and the throwback music too. That took me buy surprise and this really is a Xenblade Chronicles type world design but even more large in scope which is crazy as those games are like two gens behind. I never expected that from Rebirth so my mind is blown. 🤯

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Chapter Numbering and Zone Numbering is perfectly fine. It helps prevent direct spoilers on locations and set pieces.
Fine. Maybe I am dragging the game too much. I am 20 hours in and only got to fishing village

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone know how to use the hourglass synergy abilities? Like Relentless Rush

The tooltops says increase stagger potency and extend stagger time

Tried three times to a staggered enemy, but I see no percentage/potency increase and I can't feel the longer time too
This. Anyone?

NeoLed

For fellow Sekiro players and other L1 to block games, there is an option to switch the block button in the gameplay setting. In case the muscle memories hard to adjust

Faust

Perpetually Tired
This. Anyone?
From what I think is happening, when you use it it basically "stops" the stagger, sort of. Increases the Stagger Percentage, but then it ticks normally. It doesn't pause it and then also increase it. The pause *is* the increase. At least that is what it feels like when I have used it a few times now. It isn't the one I generally use as I much prefer the infinite Mana and increased limit break level.

Madflavor

Important PSA

Never ever ever select "Retry From Checkpoint" when you're exploring the Open World.

I've been completing objectives in a certain Region for the past 3 hours. One Battle is frustrating me because I haven't figured out how to stagger the enemy. So I hit start and I hit "Retry from Checkpoint". The game kicked me back to the checkpoint from the Main Story. I looked at the Region I was exploring, and I lost everything. As in, everything. I'm back to 0%. My levels, my atb, all 3 hours down the drain. I didn't create a save file during my exploration, so when I went back to checkpoint it autosaved. I was literally 2 objectives away from completing the region.

FUUUUCK

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
The writing is genuinely fantastic across the board, the humor is perfectly executed and surprising, I quite enjoyed the "Cueball Club" in Ch. 4... lol

Another point I forgot to mention in my previous post is the NPC design. I noticed there isn't any repetition, they all look unique from clothes to hairstyles. Small detail but I appreciate it 👌

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The writing is genuinely fantastic across the board, the humor is perfectly executed and surprising, I quite enjoyed the "Cueball Club" in Ch. 4... lol

Another point I forgot to mention in my previous post is the NPC design. I noticed there isn't any repetition, they all look unique from clothes to hairstyles. Small detail but I appreciate it 👌
The NPC models is soooooooooo much better here compare to FFVII Remake, huge upgrade.

Important PSA

Never ever ever select "Retry From Checkpoint" when you're exploring the Open World.

I've been completing objectives in a certain Region for the past 3 hours. One Battle is frustrating me because I haven't figured out how to stagger the enemy. So I hit start and I hit "Retry from Checkpoint". The game kicked me back to the checkpoint from the Main Story. I looked at the Region I was exploring, and I lost everything. As in, everything. I'm back to 0%. My levels, my atb, all 3 hours down the drain. I didn't create a save file during my exploration, so when I went back to checkpoint it autosaved. I was literally 2 objectives away from completing the region.

FUUUUCK
The same thing happen to me but I was lucky enough to load the auto save. I save a lot more now thanks to that.

NeoLed

From what I think is happening, when you use it it basically "stops" the stagger, sort of. Increases the Stagger Percentage, but then it ticks normally. It doesn't pause it and then also increase it. The pause *is* the increase. At least that is what it feels like when I have used it a few times now. It isn't the one I generally use as I much prefer the infinite Mana and increased limit break level.
But then what is stagger potency? Shouldn't it the same with Tifa unique ability, increase the percentage shown on the staggered enemies? Usually these syn abilities require Tifa so I thought it will have same effect, but the "stagger percentage" stay at 160% when I test it

I really want those to be useful for Phoenix battle. Stuck at moderately weakened

Danjin44

Yuffie is annoying af. Worst character.
6j6t9iT.gif

MrMephistoX

Anyone else feel like now that they have this engine in place they could redo the SNES and SNES FFs more easily using it as a template? I mean the grasslands world map is damn good so far and that’s all the world map in VI is just vast open areas connecting towns.

Danjin44

Legit stopped playing just to post how effing brilliant Yuffie is written and voiced. She just gave a line to Cloud in CDS that had me absolutely beaming. The dialogue in these games is pure MAGIC. When she's eating ice cream 🤣
Yeah both in DLC and Rebirth, she is really fun character.

Important PSA

FUUUUCK

Damn thanks for the tip that sucks.

Madflavor

Just redid that entire region. Fuck it. At least skipping the cutscenes and knowing where everything was helped me get through it much quicker than before.

Flabagast

The Corel open world region is pure bliss. The super chill music along with everybody in swimsuits traversing these beautiful environments, the vibe is supreme, like a really cool vacation with your closest friends, full of stories and adventures.

I just love this game man, and I am not even a big fan of Remake or the original. But this one is really special

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A minor annoyance in the game. When shopping for equipment, it only shows you what stat the equipment raises you to. It doesn't show you how much it was raised. For example, you're shopping for X bangle it it says it raises your defense to 35, but it doesn't say from what. So you need to exit out of the shop and check your stats then go back in again. It should have a little window which gives greater context. Not a huge deal, but most other RPGs do this these days, seems like a minor oversight on such a well-crafted game.

Last edited:

Raven117

Anyone else feel like now that they have this engine in place they could redo the SNES and SNES FFs more easily using it as a template? I mean the grasslands world map is damn good so far and that’s all the world map in VI is just vast open areas connecting towns.
Had the same thought.

Nickolaidas

This is probably how RE8 and RE4 worked, imo. Village and castle from 8 probably reused some assets for 4, hence they released so close to each other.

Boneless

About 20 hours in and still on chapter 4 - I'm cleaning every map as I go before progressing.
Loving it so far... the combat is so good, side quests are much better in comparison with Remake and XVI, and I really liked how they adapted the world.

My only complaint so far is MAI yapping the same thing over and over every time I try to replay some of the combat encounters to complete every objective.
What's even worse is that I had the controller sound on, and her voice comes out of the the Dualsense and lasts almost the entire combat.

What do you get for completing all the combat objectives, does it matter if you miss some?

TheAssist

I am about 30 hours in now. Just arrived at Costa Del Sol.

I'm honestly a bit speechless because this is legitimately my favorite game I have played in years. Its just so much fun. I have to force myself to stop as to not finish it too quickly. There is so many amazing, funny, cool, thoughtful and epic moments in this. The core gameplay is sooo much fun. But you never do the same thing for too long, they mix up the gameplay constantly and there are so many surprises.
I think this is the best open world since The Witcher 3. W3 had better stories in its side quests, but FF7R has better core gameplay and much much more variety. Checking all the boxes in an area never feels grindy to me. Same could be said for Red Dead Redemption 2. Yes the world might be more "realistic" and dynamic, but it just was never actually fun for me to play.

This hits all the right notes in so many meanings of the word. Now I have to do some stuff, but I can not wait to jump back into the game and hit the beaches later this day!

Not reading other comments because there might be spoilers, but I hope everyone is enjoying it so far!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Want to punch MAI in the face everytime she bombards you with shit animu over-cheery bullshit nonsense during fiend events?

SAY NO MORE.

Options —> audio —> Transmission dialogue playback device —> controller speaker

PS button —> sound icon —> controller speaker volume mute

Now fuck off MAI

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Will agree with Gene here. Really like how they're using the dualsense speaker in Rebirth.

Overall use of DualSense in Rebirth is utterly fantastic. Least expected too!

Also, both ATMOS (on Philips soundbar) and 3D Audio (Inzone H9) for headphones mix is just terrific. Sound is mellow, concentrated, and normalized. Thank god for an AAA game w/o yet another silly Hollywood dynamic range and volume rollercoaster.

Last edited:
What do you get for completing all the combat objectives, does it matter if you miss some?
If you beat the enemies it already counts as assignment completed, the objectives are just a bonus. I believe the only reward for doing them is party XP, and you can always repeat the combat as many times as you'd like if you missed some.

I have played about 15 hours of this game (in 30 fps Graphics mode, which I adjusted quickly to on my 55" OLED TV) across an extended weekend since I got the game last Thursday (29th February). I am absolutely loving it so far, especially the stunning cutscenes and the fact that all of the characters are together for a huge chunk of that time. The moments between the much-loved characters are all extremely well done and the combat is as entertaining as ever, especially the impressive boss fights.

I do feel that the open world areas are the weakest parts of the game. It's not that the exploration isn't fun because it is, particularly once you get the chocobos and can move at speed but this just highlights the one major issue I have with the game and that is the terrible pop in of foliage which is a constant distraction. I actually welcome the areas without grass as the issue is less prevalent with small rocks. The weird thing is that the detail levels is high with lots of grass but it is the pop in of smaller plants that are jarring. Why could they not just remove these or have fewer of them so they could push the draw distance out.

That aspect of the game is easily the worst part of what is otherwise a stunning visual package. Sure, the shadow resolution and draw distance is poor too but I can live with those and the odd low-res texture because the parts that matter, the characters and cutscenes, all look amazing. What irks me is the pop in which does distract from what is a polished game. I get the sense that Square-Enix didn't allow the developers time to polish the game. Certainly the 60 fps Performance mode leaves much to be desired with a wobbly framerate and vastly inferior image quality to even the PS5 version of FFVII Remake Intergrade.

Top Bottom