• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fci8wo.jpg

Welcome to the NeoGAF Official Thread dedicated to FINAL FANTASY XI Online.

2010 was a spectacular year of rebirth for the game. The revelations of the Abyssea series of battlefield content and level cap expansions, the controversial launch of FINAL FANTASY XIV Online, and the debut of a new game director meant many sweeping changes to FFXI, and it's highly likely that the dev team won't be stopping here. I hope adventurers new and old gather to discuss the game as it enters its 9th year of service.

The previous OT can be accessed here.

-----------------------

SERVER DIRECTORY

In 2010, several servers were purged to rebalance the population of other existing worlds. As a result of this and other events such as the launch of FFXIV, the NeoGAF FFXI community has splintered considerably. Regardless, there are a number of us who still play and hopefully this thread will serve as a portal to those interested in just beginning the game or returning. There remain a number of friendly faces on Sylph server where many of us have gathered.

I will actually try to make an effort to keep the server list updated this time. If you wish to be added, simply PM me with your character information.

SYLPH SERVER
pancakesandsex - "Pancakesandsx" - THF
Pai Pai Master - "Rockman"
Kandinsky - "Danicolas"
Teknoman - "Teknoman"
CATDAFELIX - "Fellix"

-----------------------

New to FFXI?

Check here for player resources. There are some great websites out there aimed at making life in Vana'diel much more comfortable. Don't forget to suggest any useful links and guides you may have come across. I'll add them here.

FFXI OFFICIAL WEBSITE - Here's where the development team will post all the latest updates regarding FINAL FANTASY XI. Get version update news, server maintenance times, and everything else straight from Square Enix.

FFXIclopedia - Currently the largest compendium of FFXI information on the web. This is the holy grail of FFXI guides, people. Use this site for nearly ALL your needs when adventuring in Vana'diel.

FFXIah.com - Live updates to your server's Jeuno auction house. Also a great tool for tracking other players and meeting up to trade items. It's a great online marketplace for when you're outside of the game.

Vana'diel Atlas - Quick and easy access to every map in the game. This is a great resource when traveling in Vana'diel! Don't ever get lost and end up in a Gobbie opium den.

Dreams in Vana'diel - The longest-running FINAL FANTASY XI message board on the internet, with a great community friendly to players new and old. If you need help with something or just wanna connect with even more FFXI players beyond GAF, please visit!

-----------------------

FFXI Current Events

Heroes of Abyssea Now Available for Advance Purchase! (11/24/2010)

Heroes of Abyssea—the third in the popular series of battle area add-ons—is now available for purchase via the PlayOnline viewer! Follow the Heroes of Abyssea banner from the FINAL FANTASY XI top page and acquire your registration code today.

Adventurers can take a sneak peek at the great challenges and even greater rewards that await them beyond the maw at the official Heroes of Abyssea site, newly updated with a promotional trailer. Also featuring monster profiles and wallpaper based on the official Abyssea concept art by acclaimed artist Jun Suemi, this update is something no player will want to miss!

Access the Heroes of Abyssea homepage.

*Purchasing users will be able to access the Heroes of Abyssea content with the next FINAL FANTASY XI version update, scheduled for Monday, December 6.
*As with previous add-ons, the purchase of a single registration code will unlock the Heroes of Abyssea content for all characters belonging to that PlayOnline account.

*The monster "Seps," introduced in the Heroes of Abyssea bestiary on November 24, 2010, has been renamed "Alfard."

Announcing the Moggy New Year Bonanza 2011! (11/16/2010)

Looking to ring in 2011 in style? Well, look no further, for the Moggy New Year Bonanza is back and better than ever!

With the highly sought-after Empyrean weapons joining the list of impressive prizes, this year's Bonanza promises to be an event that no adventurer will want to miss.

Bonanza marbles are set to go on sale Wednesday, December 22, 2010 at 12:00 a.m. (PST), so start thinking about your lucky numbers today!

Full details on the Moggy New Year Bonanza 2011 can be found here.

*All prizes won in the Mog Bonanza are virtual goods and cannot be redeemed for real-world money.

Wings of the Goddess Missions Finale! (11/11/2010)

The world of Vana'diel, a vast tapestry woven of myriad tales...
Yet many are the stitches that have remained hidden from the plain sight of mortals.

At a long struggle's conclusion, the heretofore untold ending to a history-shaping event will finally be revealed!

Read on for a glimpse of the revelations that lie in wait.

New Version Update Draws Near! (11/09/2010)

5900.jpg

The new FINAL FANTASY XI version update is currently on track for an early December release!

The development team is putting the finishing touches on a wide range of content headlined by the long-awaited conclusion of the Wings of the Goddess missions, the next stage of the level cap increase accompanied by a variety of new spells and job abilities, and the new set of job emotes announced at VanaFest 2010.

Adventurers can also look forward to new item storage features, additions and enhancements to Trial of the Magians, new synergy and synthesis recipes and much, much more.

Further details will be announced in the coming weeks, so keep watching this space!

This thread is a work in progress yo!

25guzw5.jpg

Scott said:
Everybody highlighted red are (assumed to be) active players:
Code:
:: [u]Alexander[/u] ::
    [u]NeoGAF Username[/u]     [u]Character Name[/u]
    Loto                Arcayan
    Zomba13             Zomba

:: [u]Asura[/u] ::
    Anslon              Patricio
    DrForester          Miyara

:: [u]Bismarck[/u] ::
    StateofMind         Selzak

:: [u]Carbuncle[/u] ::
    Kronotech           Ninjaro

:: [u]Fenrir[/u] :: 
    dark_chris          Veucleudant
    DrDogg              Drdogg

:: [u]Gilgamesh[/u] ::
    Entwain
    Husker86
    Kntj                Kyntaja

:: [u]Leviathan[/u] ::
    Conrad Link         Hawkwing

:: [u]Phoenix[/u] ::
    Home

:: [u]Quetzacoatl[/u] ::
    Amneisac

:: [u]Sylph[/u] :: [i]Message anybody with a [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] to join the "Stars of Destiny" Linkshell.[/i]
    Azura               Maliah
    bardia              Cyruz
    Bebpo               Bebpo
    B-Dex               Mirelda
    BentMyWookiee       Beoulve
    B.K.                Grahf
    BlueWord            Elido
    Broadbandito        Broadbandito
    CATDAFELIX          Fellix
    Desi                Desiderus
    Electrochemistry    Eyorog
    GrumpyAlien         Landes
    HAttyboy            Ryiah
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] hgplayer1           hgplayer
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] Kandinsky           Danicolas
    Kintaro             Darsh
    jae                 Nakayubi
    Mailman 007         Vanas
    Max                 Maxkem
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] MistaPita           Sadarani
    mucorama            Melba
    Mystic              Arylias
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] Pai Pai Master      Rockman
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] Pancakesandsex      Pancakesandsx
    Pandoracell         Robokop
    pix                 Pixfix
    Ploid 3.0           Ploid
    PumpkinPie          Auroch
    Rawk Hawk           Rawkhawk
    Redd                Radicalredd
    Robobandit          Galadrian
    ronito              Iliketacos
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] Scott               Kytrinn
    seipherzero         Benitoraa
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] Shouta              Ezlyn
    Smision
    SpiderJerusalem     Spiderlily
    Suikoguy            Suikosword
    Team Vernia         Sestilius
    Teknoman            Teknoman
    Tequila Wolf        Hoborg
    Terproerg           Terp
    TheExodu5           Selkaia
    Turtlesnatcher      Pezradar
    Varna               Jeshua
    Velion              Kazesin
    vissione            Gohne
    wwm0nkey
 [img]http://i51.tinypic.com/33wks2c.jpg[/img] ZetaEpyon           Talym

Aurellius
                        Seigyoku

:: [u]Valefor[/u] ::
    Ravidrath

:: [u]Unknown[/u] ::
    II CETRA II
    Big Papa Husker
    Carlisle
    Cimarron
    DimmuBurgerKing
    drkOne
    elohel
    Feep
    Fox the Sly
    Gromph
    ithorien
    jiggle
    madara
    MCX
    Nif                 Wrex
    Osaka
    Outdoor Miner
    paranoidfortean
    putero
    Rentahamster
    Skel
    SUPARSTARX
    Tabris
    TAJ
    _tetsuo_            Rision
    thefil
    Thnikkaman
    Yuripaw
Obviously missing a lot of people's information, so if you would, please reply with your information and I'll update the list. Thanks.

VERSION UPDATE NEWS

Here is the current FFXI 2011 Roadmap.

2hx7jid.jpg

Currently there are many additions and changes to Abyssea content underway, and the current level cap stands at 90. The update previously scheduled for June is coming tomorrow, July 11th, so we can expect the remaining updates to be roughly a month behind in the future.

Once my WoW trial is over I'm gonna get crunching on some Abyssea...I've barely touched the Scars content and I'll obviously be pretty behind on Heroes. I haven't been keeping up, but I guess the Heroes content will be considerably different in how it plays out, similar to how Vision was similar to typical parties on crack and Scars was more like Campaign? The trailer made it look like it's gonna be focused on HNM/BCNM style battles.

Desi

come on guys party with my DRG. I can't ride Shinryu to the shadowlands while level 65! Shinryu mount only for true ballers.

Shouta

Counterrrrrrstance! Actually, I should level it too, been sitting at an odd level with it. I also have full H2H merits too so. :lol

Kandinsky

NIN/MNK should be awesome and I want to see a WAR/MNK with counterstance and retaliation up :D

They will probably do what they did to Yonin and Innin from /nin

Shouta

Yeah, they'll probably either make it MNK only or simply reduce the effectiveness of it.

Also, I finally got my damn Colorful Abyssite. It took me goddamn forever. I killed so many Tier 1s. Good thing though is that I found out I can one-shot the tier 1 elementals around Jeuno. :lol

Kandinsky

Shouta said:
Yeah, they'll probably either make it MNK only or simply reduce the effectiveness of it.

Also, I finally got my damn Colorful Abyssite. It took me goddamn forever. I killed so many Tier 1s. Good thing though is that I found out I can one-shot the tier 1 elementals around Jeuno. :lol
You gonna lose it on your first Urd kill!

Shouta

Yeah, >=|

Then I have to hunt for another.

On that note, I need to kill it. I'll have to pester pancakes to tank it!

Desi

Pai Pai Master said:
I just wanna level everything to 50. Who's down?
this is exactly what i said in a party two days ago. i am even sitting on a trove of equip from battle bow +1's to steam scale mail (lol) from when i was doing it before i quit.

i am down. plz don't kid me.

Nah that's really all I wanna do right now. I like Abyssea but it does stink that no one wants to party old-school after a certain point thanks to it. Lowbie parties are fun. :)

OMG

In addition to the copious new abilities and spells previously announced on this space, the fast-approaching version update will usher in a host of job adjustments.

The following adjustments will be made to job abilities:

- The effectiveness of the THF job trait "Treasure Hunter" will occasionally increase with each melee attack landed. Further, damage dealt with either the "Sneak Attack" or "Trick Attack" ability will have a greater likelihood of enhancing this trait.
*Effect active only when main job is set to THF.

- Thieves will learn the job trait "Treasure Hunter III" upon attaining level 90.

- The beastmaster ability "Call Beast" will receive the following new jugs:
Razor Brain Broth / Mellow Bird Broth / Savage Mole Broth

- The beastmaster ability "Reward" will receive the following new pet food:
Pet Food Eta

- Elemental ninjutsu damage will increase based on ninjutsu skill.
*Effect active only when main job is set to NIN.

- The following ninja tools will be added:
Inoshishinofuda: Used to cast any elemental ninjutsu
Shikanofuda: Used to cast any self-enhancing ninjutsu
Chonofuda: Used to cast any foe-damaging ninjutsu
*These universal tools will be usable only when main job is set to NIN.
*Ninjutsu-specific tools will be expended first for those who possess them.
*The table below outlines tool usage when under the effect of the ninja ability "Futae." The numbers indicate the amount of an applicable tool currently in possession.
Ninjutsu-specific Tool
0 1 2 or more
Universal Tool 0 - x S
1 x x S
2 or more U x S

S: Two ninjutsu-specific tools will be expended.
U: Two universal tools will be expended.
x: Futae will fail to activate and its effect will be canceled.

- The "Trump Card" item, imbued with the energies of all elements, will be added for the corsair ability "Quick Draw."
*This card will be usable only when main job is set to COR.
*Element-specific cards will be expended first for those who possess them.

- The level at which the dancer ability "Curing Waltz III" is acquired will be lowered from 50 to 45.

- Scholars will become able to store an extra Stratagem charge (for a maximum of five) upon attaining level 90.

- The effectiveness of the scholar ability "Sublimation" in converting HP to MP will increase based on level.
Lv.35: 2HP => 2MP
Lv.45: 2HP => 3MP
Lv.55: 2HP => 4MP
Lv.65: 2HP => 5MP
Lv.75: 2HP => 6MP
Lv.85: 2HP => 7MP

The following abilities will be subject to restrictions when used in the capacity of support job:

- The thief ability "Hide" will not break the attention of enemies already targeting the user.
- The ranger ability "Velocity Shot" will be unavailable.

I can like, play ninja and enjoy it now. Only 3 items!

So I had to change my payment method to a new card after the transition from Wachovia to Wells Fargo banks and now there's this 3-D Security bullshit required for payment?

Either way my new Wells Fargo card apparently isn't good enough for Square Enix, so until I get it sorted out I can't play. :|

Those THF and NIN adjustments are awesome though.

Pai Pai Master said:
So I had to change my payment method to a new card after the transition from Wachovia to Wells Fargo banks and now there's this 3-D Security bullshit required for payment?

Either way my new Wells Fargo card apparently isn't good enough for Square Enix, so until I get it sorted out I can't play. :|

Those THF and NIN adjustments are awesome though.

Set up the card on your ps2, ps3, or 360.

I'm not complaining. I want to have 5 million different subs possible for all my main jobs. The less people are inclined to just say fuck it and go /nin, the better.

Kandinsky

Ope I think my account just got hacked, my password isnt working atm:lol

Recently, a small number of customers outside of North America have reported that their accounts were compromised. Upon investigation, we found that many of these users used the same name and password for their Square Enix Account as for another company’s online service which recently experienced a data breach. Knowing that many users use the same name and password for multiple services, it appears an unknown third party was able to gain unauthorized access to some Square Enix Accounts.

Accordingly, we advise that you take extra precautions to protect your Square Enix Account. In order to maximize security, we would like to remind you of these good practices:

* Do not use the same password for multiple online services
* Do not use repeated strings of characters, phone numbers, birth dates, or other similar information in your password
* Change your password regularly
* Do not use programs that put you at risk of malware
* Do not open emails or files when you do not know who sent them, and
* Do not access suspicious websites

By using a Square Enix Security Token with your Square Enix Account, you can greatly decrease the likelihood that your account will be compromised. We strongly recommend that you begin using one if you are not already doing so.

See the below URL for more information about Security Tokens.
http://www.square-enix.com/na/account/otp/
Oh wtf am i suppose to do now lol

Kandinsky

Fkers want my POL reg code wtf:lol

Man SE must have the WORST customer service ever, guy basically linked me to a "recovery password website" and said GL ASSHOLE! and logged off:lol

Edit2: and ofc the email i have registered for FFXI is down atm and my ls is farming RR lol

Sanic

So I think i'll finally try this for the first time. Wish me luck! I'm not expecting to have the greatest experience, but we'll see. Any broad, major tips for my first moments in the game?

B.K.

Pandoracell said:
So I think i'll finally try this for the first time. Wish me luck! I'm not expecting to have the greatest experience, but we'll see.

The game is incredibly overwhelming for a new player these days. That's the main reason that I gave up on it. There's too much content for a new player to ever be able to catch up to anyone else.

Desi

respect your elders, brush your teeth, and don't play warrior/white mage thinking that it is a paladin.

Sanic

B.K. said:
The game is incredibly overwhelming for a new player these days. That's the main reason that I gave up on it. There's too much content for a new player to ever be able to catch up to anyone else.
Eh, I'm not interested in catching up so much as I want to just have a good time. It's cheap and I'm getting a friend to pick it up with me, so I thought why not try it? I have heard it is extremely overwhelming, however, so we'll see.

Carlisle

I keep looking for a reason to come back to this and the updates over the last year make it really tempting. What server do the lot of you play in these days? I'll probably pay into at least a month and re-test the waters once all the out-of-town stuff is over at the start of the new year.

Kandinsky said:

Man SE must have the WORST customer service ever, guy basically linked me to a "recovery password website" and said GL ASSHOLE! and logged off:lol

Edit2: and ofc the email i have registered for FFXI is down atm and my ls is farming RR lol

:/

Carlisle said:
I keep looking for a reason to come back to this and the updates over the last year make it really tempting. What server do the lot of you play in these days? I'll probably pay into at least a month and re-test the waters once all the out-of-town stuff is over at the start of the new year.

Sylph

Desi

Kandinsky said:

hope you get back. kept doing a /sea all for your character and it didn't pop up so that is a good sign i guess.

Desi

ugh I need someone to talk too~~~~~~

oh and Pancakes what is the rules to your Dynamis shell (or is it other things too)?

Desi

it is like ingame clans/guilds except you can have more than one and it takes up inventory space. linkshell's use linkpearls to talk with everyone in the clan.

Sanic

Ah ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything.

My first 45 minutes in the game have been a bit overwhelming. After I'm done with my first 'quest' of leveling up my combat skill, any recomendations of what I should do next? Or will the game continue to guide me?

Pandoracell said:
Ah ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything.

My first 45 minutes in the game have been a bit overwhelming. After I'm done with my first 'quest' of leveling up my combat skill, any recomendations of what I should do next? Or will the game continue to guide me?

Finish the tutorial in full, that was actually added fairly recently. The game doesn't really guide you in what to do, but if you talk to everyone in town, you'll find lots of quests and things you CAN do.

Basic structure for main progression through the story are "missions". Missions are acquired from the gate guards, and only one can be undertaken at a time. Once you complete a mission, more will open up, and to finish ranking up you can either repeat these missions, or you can trade extra crystals to the guard to push your rank up to the point you can take the next non-repeatable mission to advance in rank.

Advancing in rank makes signet last longer and eventually gives you access to things like rise of the zilart missions.

Sanic

pancakesandsex said:
Finish the tutorial in full, that was actually added fairly recently. The game doesn't really guide you in what to do, but if you talk to everyone in town, you'll find lots of quests and things you CAN do.

Basic structure for main progression through the story are "missions". Missions are acquired from the gate guards, and only one can be undertaken at a time. Once you complete a mission, more will open up, and to finish ranking up you can either repeat these missions, or you can trade extra crystals to the guard to push your rank up to the point you can take the next non-repeatable mission to advance in rank.

Advancing in rank makes signet last longer and eventually gives you access to things like rise of the zilart missions.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Is there a more populated area I could get to as a lower level character? Or anywhere interesting that you recommend I explore outside of missions/quests? I want to get a better feel of my surroundings. My starting town (Windurst) is basically empty.

Desi

All of Juneo and Aht Urghan whitegate are more populated town areas but no real need to be at any of them until later: 19+ for jueno and 50+ for Aht Urghan.

For leveling? Hurototo ruins are interesting and Tahrongi Canyon are interesting places for you maybe. If you use http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page you can probably fine easy enough quests to do around your area that require low amounts of fame.

With the addition of field manuals and level sync for parties you should be in Jueno in no time.

Name and server BTW?

Sanic

Desi said:
All of Juneo and Aht Urghan whitegate are more populated town areas but no real need to be at any of them until later: 19+ for jueno and 50+ for Aht Urghan.

For leveling? Hurototo ruins are interesting and Tahrongi Canyon are interesting places for you maybe. If you use http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page you can probably fine easy enough quests to do around your area that require low amounts of fame.

With the addition of field manuals and level sync for parties you should be in Jueno in no time.

Name and server BTW?
Much appreciated! I'll have to do some trawling on the wiki, i've neglected it thus far.

Name: Robokop
Server: Sylph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom