• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

TheExodu5

Banned
What Job combos are you all going with?

My current plan:

• Ashe - Knight & Time Battlemage
  • Basch - Samurai & Uhlan
  • Balthier - Machinist & White Mage
  • Fran - Archer & Red Battlemage
  • Vaan- Foebreaker & Shikari
  • Penelo - Black Mage & Monk

I realize I'm not going with the best synergy in some cases, but I feel like I've maximized both synergy and lore with my combos. Thoughts?

ObsidianG

I need to find and bookmark that post from another thread with the best job combos for when I get around to playing this.

These are the ones I used:

Best jobs
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75477310

"Lore friendly jobs"
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75403072

The second thread is subjective, and I personally consider lore friendly jobs to be those that match up the characters in other final fantasy Ivalice games (Revenant Wings and WOTL).

Rpgmonkey

Played a few hours yesterday. Haven't played this since going through it twice on the PS2. Game is still great.

Going to go with:

Vann - Shikari / White Mage
Penelo - Black Mage / Monk
Balthier - Machinist / Foebreaker
Fran - Archer / Red Mage
Basch - Bushi / Uhlan
Ashe - Knight / Time Mage

Game's difficulty is more than lax enough, so I'm not really interested in min-maxing and just picked whatever seemed cool/fitting for the character. Not even sure if I'll end up consistently using all six characters anyway, lol.

ObsidianG

Played a few hours yesterday. Haven't played this since going through it twice on the PS2. Game is still great.

Going to go with:

Vann - Shikari / White Mage
Penelo - Black Mage / Monk
Balthier - Machinist / Foebreaker
Fran - Archer / Red Mage
Basch - Bushi / Uhlan
Ashe - Knight / Time Mage

Game's difficulty is more than lax enough, so I'm not really interested in min-maxing and just picked whatever seemed cool/fitting for the character. Not even sure if I'll end up consistently using all six characters anyway, lol.

My strategy is to stick to Ashe / Balthier / Fran and power level Vaan, Basch and Penelo in spots like the skeleton bridge, the plains and the mirror knights.

Sucks I went on vacation the day after this game came out, haha.

Shame they couldn't do a portable version, but I'm looking forward to playing it on my PS4 when I get back. I might even try out Vita remote play with it since this seems like a perfect game for it (not fast paced combat, and the gambits make it even more manageable for streaming).

XII probably has my favorite looking world in a Final Fantasy since VII, and that's always a big plus for me in RPGs. If I can't get into the world, it ends up being a bit of a chore to finish them. FFX was OK, but XIII's was just so weird and confusing at the start I couldn't get into the game at all (stopped after about 7 hours of not knowing what the hell was going on in that one).

MikeBison

Gambit help please.

Have Fran as a timemage and occasionally want her to slow higher level enemies. Bosses etc. But don't want her wasting her mp by using it on trash mobs so I put 'attack' higher up the priority list.

But then she never seems to get around to actually using slow. Is there a way around this?

kromeo

Gambit help please.

Have Fran as a timemage and occasionally want her to slow higher level enemies. Bosses etc. But don't want her wasting her mp by using it on trash mobs so I put 'attack' higher up the priority list.

But then she never seems to get around to actually using slow. Is there a way around this?

Tell her to cast it manually

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gambit help please.

You can manually make them do things if you need something that irregularly.

Nohar

Gambit help please.

Just set up a Slow gambit on top of your priority list which you only activate for hard fights, simple as that, or cast manually.

Gambit help please.

A lower priority gambit will never act if the condition for a higher priority gambit is being met.

Thanks!

These are the ones I used:

Best jobs
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75477310

"Lore friendly jobs"
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75403072

The second thread is subjective, and I personally consider lore friendly jobs to be those that match up the characters in other final fantasy Ivalice games (Revenant Wings and WOTL).

I might actually go with lore friendly, feels right, especially for things like having Fran use bows.

It's on the OP.

I read it when it was posted but forgot lol.

ObsidianG

Gambit help please.

You could also set an MP < X% gambit. That would minimize the MP wasted on trash mobs, and you usually get a full regen crystal before boss battles.

How is everyone setting up their Steal gambits? I only just unlocked the option to set your own, but in IZJS I believe I had something like "Enemies with equal to/less than 90% HP --> Attack" followed by "Enemies with 100% HP --> Steal". Lost my PS2 memory card, though, so I can't check.

Right now I'm just turning the steal gambit off and on manually.

I need to go buy as many gambits as possible and Enemy 100% hp sounds like a good work around. I want want him to try to steal once from every enemy I target.

I got that steal trophy in my first hours of play lol

AndersK

I did a bit of the trial abusing to buy two monographs. I hate saving for espteric items like those No exp, like 50 jp and 60000 gil and no broken game.

Lmfao

This game is the best voice acted game in Gaming history, you are on something.

Is this a joke? The script and voice acting are all over the place. Balthier tries his damnedest but Vaan does nothing but drag him down. Guard NPCs couldn't be more wooden if they were malboros.

First time playing? I haven't played since PS2 era, but wait till you get to Some of the later boss in the first third of the game. The fire esper and the bosses of the king's tomb will test your sanity and intelligence.

I played through the sewers on PS2 (right before the first boss) and was not really enjoying myself so I stopped. X kinda killed my love for Final Fantasy so I went in negative on XII, which is why I was looking forward to this remake: I never really gave the game a fair shake.

Since my last post I've gotten back out into the desert and I'm liking it significantly more. 'Amalia' is an interesting development and apparently Basch
has an evil twin brother are you fucking kidding me game? I thought we were going to get some actual drama between Vaan and Basch for killing his brother but nope! I'm trying not to be super judgmental early on but you're making this tough for me game
and also is a badass. I found a merchant in the sewers who sold me all the gear and spells I've been buying on the license board but haven't been able to use and now my characters actually feel like their proper classes. I actually could use gambits and strategies on the second boss and it felt rather satisfying.

Also if I may engage in my most petty criticism: it bothers me a lot that they have traditional job titles like Red Mage and Knight but the characters clothes remain the same. Stupid on my part but it just feels wrong.

Rektash

Quick question before I jump in:

Is the zodiac spear still in the game? If yes, did they change anything about how to get it?

I remember getting it with a guide last time I played this game.

Hoping to get this answered since I buried it in a long post, does it matter which order you pick your first and second jobs per character?

Animations and systems fundamentally designed around 30fps I am sure. Not a power issue. This happens sometimes. Not worth the effort to completely rework.

Yes, this is definitely the case with ff12.

This is actually part of the reason the 2x and 4x speeds work since everything is tied to 30fps.

MikeBison

Next question is about quickenings. Are you picking them? Or just each character just have 3 and then each of those has 3 levels of power?

Jennipeg

Is this a joke? The script and voice acting are all over the place. Balthier tries his damnedest but Vaan does nothing but drag him down. Guard NPCs couldn't be more wooden if they were malboros.

I played through the sewers on PS2 (right before the first boss) and was not really enjoying myself so I stopped. X kinda killed my love for Final Fantasy so I went in negative on XII, which is why I was looking forward to this remake: I never really gave the game a fair shake.

Since my last post I've gotten back out into the desert and I'm liking it significantly more. 'Amalia' is an interesting development and apparently Basch
has an evil twin brother are you fucking kidding me game? I thought we were going to get some actual drama between Vaan and Basch for killing his brother but nope! I'm trying not to be super judgmental early on but you're making this tough for me game
and also is a badass. I found a merchant in the sewers who sold me all the gear and spells I've been buying on the license board but haven't been able to use and now my characters actually feel like their proper classes. I actually could use gambits and strategies on the second boss and it felt rather satisfying.

Also if I may engage in my most petty criticism: it bothers me a lot that they have traditional job titles like Red Mage and Knight but the characters clothes remain the same. Stupid on my part but it just feels wrong.

Re: Basch's
brother
its not quite as black and white as that, there is drama, just not with the characters you expected.

Considering jobs weren't in the original game, I can't really criticise it for not having alternate outfits. If X-2 had no costume changes, that would be super weird.

Trying to come up with an unusual combination:

Basch: Uhlan & Archer
Penelo: Black Mage & Red Mage
Vaan: Shikari & White Mage
Fran: Monk & Foebreaker
Ashe: Knight & Time Mage
Balthier: Bushi & Monk

This looks like a fun deviation from the most popular ones, but I don't know if I have the balls to actually do it. I feel sad about walking away from Black Mage & Monk. Don't really give a shit about missing out on Machinist.

Jennipeg

Ok, I have finally settled on my jobs.

Vaan - Shikari/Bushi (I want the Yiazmat trophy)
Penelo - Black mage/Monk
Balthier - White mage/Machinist
Basch - Bushi/Foebreaker
Fran - Red mage/Archer
Ashe - Knight/Time mage.

I think that uses most of the jobs and feels lore friendly for the most part.

Bluenoser

How do you find out these elemental boosts from gear?
Its not even on the wiki

Yeah its annoying. Some of them have a clear indication of elemental affinity, but some are hidden effect, for example Cherry Staff boosts wind elemental by 50%.

Is there a reason they couldn't get an 11 year old game running at 60fps on pro?

Digital Foundry's video explains it - and it's the same reason they didn't do FFX/X-2 HD in 60fps - it could cause a number of glitches and gamebreaking problems. (paraphrasing of course)

Nista

Where and at what point can you buy thundera/higher power thunder Magiks?

I just wanna kill this damn headless motherfucker already.

I got Thundara after Raithwall, not sure which shop I bought it in.

Anyone have a good guide for Summon assignments per job? Belias is just sitting around since I can't decide if getting Potion lore for Knight is better than Horology for Foebreaker.

ObsidianG

Thoughts on a Time Mage/White Mage ?

Full on healer/support so Shikari/Breaker and Knight/Bushi can do their own thing ?

Seems pretty solid (I am not a pro at the esper / quickening allocation though)! However, if you get the 2 genji gloves the shikari/breaker & Bushi/knight can do nasty things, and the time mage / white mage would be a great support to them.

The only things that might get annoying are flying enemies (I think only magic, pole & spears, shades of black, telekinesis and ranged weapons can hit them), but your breaker has access to hand bombs, and bushi / knight would have access to telekinesis and shades of black via espers (It may also come in play with a particular esper where you can't use the attack command).

ObsidianG

Next question is about quickenings. Are you picking them? Or just each character just have 3 and then each of those has 3 levels of power?

I don't know much about quickening allocations, but based on post #1526 in the thread (sorry I don't know how to double quote):

"Depending on the board some or all of the four Quickenings unlock extra abilities. When you unlock e.g. Quickening 1 on your first board it is also unlocked on the second board of the character.

With some job combinations you can unlock all extra abilities when using the correct three quickenings, but e.g. on the Hunter board you need to decide which three of the four abilities you want to unlock."

So picking some quickenings combinations may result in you loosing some extra ability nodes, so it would be a good idea to preview the boards to see where there is an overlap.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I really want Ashe to be my Knight... How is Bushi/Uhlan for Basch?

TheExodu5

Banned
Ok, I have finally settled on my jobs.

Vaan - Shikari/Bushi (I want the Yiazmat trophy)
Penelo - Black mage/Monk
Balthier - White mage/Machinist
Basch - Bushi/Foebreaker
Fran - Red mage/Archer
Ashe - Knight/Time mage.

I think that uses most of the jobs and feels lore friendly for the most part.

Very close to my own and I'm kind of liking this.

Would I be missing out on much by not using Uhlan at all?

I'm looking forward to seeing how people figure out how to get the Trango Tower/Seitengrat/et cetera in this version of the game. RNG fuckery's gonna be that much harder now.

Mudron

Dumb question, but is here any benefit to circle-strafing during combat in an attempt to hit enemies from behind as often as possible?

ObsidianG

Man, I really want Ashe to be my Knight... How is Bushi/Uhlan for Basch?

According to Kensuke's guide in the OP, it is a really good combination for basch because Uhlan gives the bushi access to heavy armor (+strength) and battle lores (+damage). I also remember reading on Gfaq that the katana damage formula is more heavily weighted towards strength, rather than magic, which fits Basch. In addition, ulhan has access to the second tier black magic, and a bushi can make good use of those spells in the mid game!

aravuus

Seriously, no "target any ally if own MP > xx %" gambit? We got one for foes, why the hell not friendlies.

I'd like to have Balthier cast Haste on party members semi regularly. If I just put "Ally: any", he'll burn through his MP right away casting Haste everywhere.

I love the gambit system, but I wish it was even more complex.

Jennipeg

Very close to my own and I'm kind of liking this.

Would I be missing out on much by not using Uhlan at all?

That was the one I was struggling to fit in, it doesn't seem to be a widely recommended job so I skipped it in the end. I originally had Balthier as Uhlan/Time mage, but that doubled Time mage with Ashe.

What Job combos are you all going with?

My current plan:

• Ashe - Knight & Time Battlemage
  • Basch - Samurai & Uhlan
  • Balthier - Machinist & White Mage
  • Fran - Archer & Red Battlemage
  • Vaan- Foebreaker & Shikari
  • Penelo - Black Mage & Monk

I realize I'm not going with the best synergy in some cases, but I feel like I've maximized both synergy and lore with my combos. Thoughts?

This is exactly what I ended up with lol, pretty much just by picking one job each that I thought suited the character most, then picking a job that suitably complimented it, not much more thought than that.

LProtag

You know, I really didn't give this game much of a chance when it came out. I realized I didn't get very far either (I think I've already surpassed where I was). Maybe as I was younger the gambit system overwhelmed me, or something.

Also, I didn't realize how much influence this game took from Star Wars. It's crazy when you think about it. Even some of the music was sounding similar in places.

Top Bottom