• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Yeah.... Most of that I didn't know the first 2 times I beat the original game. Balthier is slower with guns? Combo animations are different speeds but but don't change damage? I remember thinking that different animations look different speeds but I kinda hoping ATK meant DPS not raw Damage, and that if someone was slower with a 10 ATK weapon, then their damage would be higher per hit -- so each character regardless of animation speed than had the same overall DPS (some RPGs do this: they give weapons a DPS stat instead of damage to make animation speed less important). Was never really sure until I started reading about tests people were doing with emulation. Quite a lot of the stuff I referenced about DPS is based on the damage formula calculations and DPS or character frames test logs I've seen.

But TBH it's pretty marginal. I mean, you're talking about 5% differences in character frames or at best 5-10% differences in total DPS -- over long fights, fully buffed, no less. It's pretty hard to notice that in-game even on a 10 minute fight, let alone monsters that die in 2-5 hits. And the stat stuff is just me being picky and trying to make sure I waste as few +stats over 99 as possible. It's kinda spoiler-y in the sense that I'd never want to know endgame stats before I beat the game once; it's just with the 99 stat cap, there is room for min-maxing if you wanna try aim for symbolic max stats.

Soooo, basically it doesn't really matter as long as your party all together is build sufficiently? Just pick a job that you like and fit's the character.

kromeo

I'm uncomfortable making such a huge decision as the job thing before knowing anything about the game.

What is the least important physical attacker job I could put on vran until I unlock the characters I want to use?

Machinist or archer probably

Anyone know how to get the dry giza plains back? I met the other gets South of there but haven't pushed on west yet. Forgot to do a hunt or two. Will zoning bring it back yet or so I need to hit a certain point in the story?

kromeo

Anyone know how to get the dry giza plains back? I met the other gets South of there but haven't pushed on west yet. Forgot to do a hunt or two. Will zoning bring it back yet or so I need to hit a certain point in the story?

I think it's just based on game time, not sure how long it takes to change though

aravuus

Jesus christ the Karkata is nuts. Balthier is almost 10 levels behind my main party and he still deals very high damage compared to everyone else with this thing. Time to replace Penelo (Monk/Black mage) with him, I think.

Time magick (Balthier's Knight/Time mage) will probably prove to be more important that regular black magick, too.

Rookhelm

In reading some FAQs, it looks like a couple of the job's names have changed from the previous JP version with this one.

What is Samurai and Hunter now?

I'm assuming it's Shikari and Bushi now, respectively?

Drewfonse

I have way too many games to play, but this is intriguing. Never played it on my PS2.

For me into invest 40-50 hrs into it, it would need to have a pretty great story. How are people enjoying that aspect of it?

Bluenoser

Can anyone confirm that the game can get overly dark at times? Lowtown is an example, also Barheim passage was bad. Maybe my picture settings are screwed up? Not sure, as my display just got a firmware update recently and sometimes those throw all of your settings off. Black levels just seem a bit too dark, where I want to crank up the brightness or gamma but I know that wouldn't fix it in an accurate way. Just wanted to see if it's the game or me going crazy.

I see nobody seems to be pairing bushi with any mage jobs, is it not good to keep them in mystic armour?
Part of it is Bushi is probably the best overall endgame DPSer. But for that, it should have Adrenaline and Focus which increase your DPS when HP Critical or 100%. Also, with Mystic Armor and just Battle Lore 8 (each BL is +1 STR and it goes up to BL16), Bushi + Mage will have trouble reaching STR 99 and especially trouble while also keeping your MAG high too.

The MAG is tempting to utilize but you have to consider opportunity cost.

Just because your BSH can be good at casting spells, it doesn't mean that's the best way to spend your time in combat. You could have someone else using their 99 MAG to cure; BSH could be using Masamune to DPS. So, that's why KNI and MNK are popular choices. You get some basic cures/buffs to help out and utilize the high MAG, but primarily it's for the extra BLs to reach 99 STR, Adrenaline and Focus for DPS, and then better shields or HP to keep your DPSer alive and DPSing.

That said, it's not that big of a deal. I mean, if you really wanted your Mage to wield a katana, you can make it work. Lots of people beat IZJS without Bushi character and instead with a Foebreaker or Monk or even Knight with Tournesol for DPS. So, if you wanted a MNK with Whale Whisker or KNI with Tournesol (both within 2-8% of BSH DPS generally) you're main DPS, and then use BSH on something like a MNK/BSH 'healer' that focused on mostly combing the MNK's Curaja, Bravery/Faith, Arise, and Renew with the BSH's 99 MAG, you're going to be a pretty good healer -- you'd likely want your 3rd character with Channeling 3 and at least Cura though to help out with burst healing. Plus, that MNK/BSH could easily rotate into 2nd DPS and to pretty good DPS with still having 99 STR, Genji Glove, no Berserk, but probably often using Focus.

Or maybe you wanted an a support Mage Bushi... Combining, say, TBM and BSH. You're going to be a capable support character with Bubble, Berserk, Haste, etc. You'll probably need to focus on MAG while leveling but by endgame Hunts you'll be buffing strongly and accurately. Also, Channeling 3 let's you also do minor but quick burst healing [e.g. if HP Critical] because TBM can cast quick Curas in emergencies while your main healer (e.g. WHM/MCN) prepares Curaja or Renew (and they can focus on healing because your TBM/BSH takes care of buffs). And, while supporting buffs and minor burst healing, a TBM/BSH is still going to have 99 STR (or even probably 99/99 STR/MAG if you had 2 characters with BSH and your 'mage BSH got stuck with 2H Masamune) And, even without Adrenaline or Focus, you still have maxed stats, Swiftness 3, and Genji Glove, and any Masamune with that is -- even between buffs and burst healing -- is going to be decent enough DPS to support a separate primary DPS character and a primary healer.
Soooo, basically it doesn't really matter as long as your party all together is build sufficiently? Just pick a job that you like and fit's the character.
Most sort of 'inefficient' builds really only begin matter during Weak Mode (Lv1) playthroughs.

I mean, there can be a difference. There's one big optional boss fight later. The difference between a BSH/KNI on Basch and BSH/TBM on Penelo, you're probably looking at 2-3x as much damage, which could mean the difference between 30 minutes and 1 hour. Moreover, something perfectly tailored for that fight using the best combo rate and best elemental weakness could probably do that much DPS in 15-20 minutes.

But that's one fight. There's maybe a few fights like that, total, none during the main story, all optional Hunt Marks or Trial Bosses. And even then, you're going to have other characters doing damage, and vast majority of even the difficult optional bosses in the game take less than 30 minutes, so you're looking at maybe 5-10 minute difference (or dying and having to level up 5-10 levels more haha). But you're still going to eventually kick its butt.

It's only really the NewGame+ 'Weak Mode' (you're permanently stuck at Lv1) where optimization really begins to matter a lot. But even there, other things like utilizing creative use of items, knowing where all the 'early strong' weapons are, and even things that aren't as great in normal mode (e.g. guns) also matter. If you're creative enough with things like items, reverse, decoy, guns, getting weapons like the flame bow or some of the FF weapons as early as possible, etc, you could probably still even beat Weak Mode with some pretty average optimized builds. I'm not sure you'd want to do it with purely TBMs hahaha but as long as you got a clear cut DPSer, healing, and buffer, and one of those can tank, you're probably going to be able to find a way -- especially if you google an item faq. There's quite a lot of creative ways to 'break' the game and they'll help almost any build in Weak Mode.
I'm uncomfortable making such a huge decision as the job thing before knowing anything about the game.

What is the least important physical attacker job I could put on vran until I unlock the characters I want to use?
Really, if you were none the wiser from reading forums, you'd be happy with almost any party build as long as you have some sort of basic damage, healing, and buffing, which you're pretty much guaranteed to even accidently make with 12 jobs across 6 characters hhhh.

Can anyone confirm that the game can get overly dark at times? Lowtown is an example, also Barheim passage was bad. Maybe my picture settings are screwed up? Not sure, as my display just got a firmware update recently and sometimes those throw all of your settings off. Black levels just seem a bit too dark, where I want to crank up the brightness or gamma but I know that wouldn't fix it in an accurate way. Just wanted to see if it's the game or me going crazy.
They altered the lighting.
Naturally dark areas become darker, brighter areas become brighter.
For eg the color tone of the surrounding deserts to rabanastre are mostly the same in the vanilla version, but this version looks different depending on which part of the desert youre in.
The eastersands are for example much brighter and more red/yellow toned.
Lowtown is dark because it has very few light sources simple as that.

thedan001

I decided on my job setups, would appreciate some insights/feedback:

These 4 are set, no planned changes

Vaan - hunter/breaker
Penelo - black mage/monk
Balthier - white mage/machinist
Ashe - samurai/knight

These 2 I am still debating

Fran - red mage/archer OR black mage/red mage
Basch - knight/time mage OR uhlan/time mage

I don't really care for doubling up on jobs tbh, so any thoughts between jobs for Fran and Basch will be great. I would like to go for 2 balanced teams of 3 please.

Bluenoser

They altered the lighting.
Naturally dark areas become darker, brighter areas become brighter.
For eg the color tone of the surrounding deserts to rabanastre are mostly the same in the vanilla version, but this version looks different depending on which part of the desert youre in.
The eastersands are for example much brighter and more red/yellow toned.
Lowtown is dark because it has very few light sources simple as that.

Ok cool, I'm fine with it (although I prefer the image a bit lighter) but just wanted to make sure my settings weren't messed up.

Got my copy and am pretty excited, but got FFXIV msq to play through first. I think I was nearing the last third of the game on PS2 before the remaster announcement. I'm glad I stopped because, while the level of detail was incredible for PS2, it's too blurry on an HD tv.

Bluenoser

kromeo

You can allocate them any way you like, but only once. i.e. once Belias is unlocked on someone's board, he disappears from all others.

This is awesome. There should be a friendly wager on how many times we'll see that issue, and someone blame the game.

Good, I'm seeing 3 things I want on red mage and none on a couple of others

Bluenoser

Good, I'm seeing 3 things I want on red mage and none on a couple of others

Yeah it comes down to which member will benefit the most, and don't forget if you unlock an esper on one board, it unlocks on their secondary board as well, so you can get both benefits of whatever is behind the esper.

With Quickenings, one thing to keep in mind is you can only unlock 3 of them, and you have 8 on your boards combined, so you really have to be picky about which to unlock... so you really want to avoid unlocking quickenings that don't lead to anything.

Rad-

Disable is so good in this game. Poor imperial soldiers could just watch while I wrecked their boss. I recommend using it whenever there's more than 3 enemies.

2bbzKPZ.jpg

kromeo

Yeah it comes down to which member will benefit the most, and don't forget if you unlock an esper on one board, it unlocks on their secondary board as well, so you can get both benefits of whatever is behind the

This might change things, back to research I go

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm kind of confused about licenses...

I made a red battlemage, and apparently they can use black, white and time magic right away, even though there are no entries for it on the board? And like 3 of my characters all have steal, but no entry on the board.

I've been holding off on buying Libra because I haven't unlocked it on the board yet, but maybe a character can use it already?

How can you tell what things a character can use that aren't blocks on the license board?

Shifty1897

Had to work late last night, when I got home I had to decide between FFXII or sleep.

I'm sitting here, red eyed, with a red bull, but I regret nothing.

RS4-

I made a red battlemage, and apparently they can use black, white and time magic right away, even though there are no entries for it on the board? And like 3 of my characters all have steal, but no entry on the board.

I've been holding off on buying Libra because I haven't unlocked it on the board yet, but maybe a character can use it already?

How can you tell what things a character can use that aren't blocks on the license board?

Have to buy magic from the shop. Unless I'm misunderstanding lol.

kromeo

Some characters come with skills already learned, red mage doesn't learn the lv 1 spells through it's board so they won't show up there

Kazuhira

How do the Espers work? Is it one per job or can you allocate them however you like?

It's available for every character and job board,once you buy the esper license for one character it's no longer available for the other party members.
You could have one character that can use every esper if you want to,like a summoner.

No, they can learn some magicks from each of those categories, but they don't start with any. If they have the skill, the entry should be on the board. Some of the boards have abilities activated out in those little islands of one or two squares, so you might've missed them.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I make a point of buying every new spell/technick/etc as soon as it shows up in a shop. Equipment I only buy if I happen to have already opened the license and it's an upgrade.

LProtag

Some characters have things unlocked on a specific board already. Basically built in starting abilities. You might have picked a job for them that they don't already have them unlocked on, but if you go look at their other boards you'd see them there.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Some characters come with skills already learned, red mage doesn't learn the lv 1 spells through it's board so they won't show up there

Sorry, I don't understand that last part... are you saying that red mages can cast all schools of magic level 1 without unlocking anything on the board?

Is there any way to see what these "extra" abilities characters have that aren't on the board?

For instance, can every character use Libra out of the gate?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Some characters have things unlocked on a specific board already. Basically built in starting abilities. You might have picked a job for them that they don't already have them unlocked on, but if you go look at their other boards you'd see them there.

Characters can have multiple boards? I thought you were locked to their single board when you decide what class they are?

Against my better judgment, I downloaded the game and started last night. I say "against my better judgment" because I disliked FF12 the one time I played it, and while I've long been curious about the IZJS changes, I doubted they would address my most significant objections to the game design. But I'm going to keep an open mind. The game looks and sounds fantastic. 2x and 4x speed are a godsend.* And job boards introduce at least a little interest into the progression system. Here's hoping I see a little bit more of what people like about FF12 this time around.

*If only they worked during cutscenes! I don't want to skip all the cutscenes, but I don't care to sit through them at their intended speed either....I guess this replay may not involve a fresh appraisal of the story.

kromeo

Sorry, I don't understand that last part... are you saying that red mages can cast all schools of magic level 1 without unlocking anything on the board?

Is there any way to see what these "extra" abilities characters have that aren't on the board?

No, panelo, Ashe and fran can all use lv 1 white magic regardless of what jobs you give them but the red mage board doesn't teach it. If you go to character status and press x it will show you all skills they've learned, if they're greyed out it means you've learned the skill but haven't bought it from a shop yet

Einhandr

All characters have innate abilities that they get regardless of what board you choose. For example, Balthier Vaan and Fran all know steal regardless of which boards you choose. Ashe has cure, etc.

Bluenoser

So red mage doesn't get access to all spells, except arcane. For example, it can get cura, but not cure. If you are on Fran though, she comes with Cure by default, so you can use it. Same with Penelo and Ashe.

One thing the game doesn't explain very well is that each character comes with some default licenses based on the lore of their character Vaan has steal, Basch can use low level swords and heavy gear. The girls can all heal. These licenses are on certain boards that you may or may not end up choosing as the main board for that character going forward. If you make Vaan a Shikari, most of his initial licenses are already on that board, so you can easily see what you have. But if you make him a red mage, you won't see any of them because they are on the Shikari board.

Hope this makes sense. It got a little confusing with the new board setup.

No, panelo, Ashe and fran can all use lv 1 white magic regardless of what jobs you give them but the red mage board doesn't teach it. If you go to character status and press x it will show you all skills they've learned, if they're greyed out it means you've learned the skill but haven't bought it from a shop yet

This is actually incorrect. If it shows up on the list, you own it but if its greyed out the character lacks the license.

Pejo

Well, this remaster is really great so far. I put like a solid 6 hours into the game last night, really enjoying it again.

Not a fan of the job system though. I wish that, to counteract the limitations imposed, they made swapping characters out mid-battle quicker, or allowed 4 on screen members at a time. As it is, it's really annoying when I run into an enemy with high physical defense, because I have to go into menu, switch users, turn on magic attack gambits, kill enemy, switch back.

Anybody know the earliest you can get a ninja sword? I bought Ninja Swords 1 for my Shiki, and he needs one asap. Daggers just ain't cuttin' it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So red mage doesn't get access to all spells, except arcane. For example, it can get cura, but not cure. If you are on Fran though, she comes with Cure by default, so you can use it. Same with Penelo and Ashe.

One thing the game doesn't explain very well is that each character comes with some default licenses based on the lore of their character Vaan has steal, Basch can use low level swords and heavy gear. The girls can all heal. These licenses are on certain boards that you may or may not end up choosing as the main board for that character going forward. If you make Vaan a Shikari, most of his initial licenses are already on that board, so you can easily see what you have. But if you make him a red mage, you won't see any of them because they are on the Shikari board.

Hope this makes sense. It got a little confusing with the new board setup.

Thanks, I get it now. And I can see what skills they "inherently" have by looking at their "status" through the menu?

Do any characters inherently have "Libra"?

LProtag

Oh damn, I didn't realize that picking quickenings locks you out of some abilities. I'll need to be more careful when picking them.

Bluenoser

Thanks, I get it now. And I can see what skills they "inherently" have by looking at their "status" through the menu?

Do any characters inherently have "Libra"?

Not as many as you'd think, and not everyone can learn it either- it's rather stingy. Archer and Shikari can use it off the top of my head. Some others can learn it once espers are unlocked. Or you can buy a bangle and equip it to have libra permanently. Just remember to buy the license for using the bangle.

And yes, looking at the status menu, you can see what you have.

Top Bottom