• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

aravuus

What's some great overpowered equipment to nab really early in the game?

You can steal Karkata from Trial mode's third trial (from the main cactuar, can't remember its name). 1H Sword with 92 ATK, inflicts Confuse on hit. It doesn't really get better than that for the first 20 hours.

Some chests also have some solid gear to get, thought nothing exactly game-breaking, I think. You can find maps of chests and their %s (chance to appear, chance to have an item, etc.) here http://www.fftogether.com/forum/index.php?topic=2764.0

Best treasure so far has probably been Main Gauche, which you can get in the Ozmone Plains during rain. It's a dagger that adds 50 to your evasion.

e: You can also steal the Sword of Kings from Trial 10's boss. 2H Sword with 53 ATK, doesn't need a license so anyone can equip it.

Nohar

Is Larsa still unplayable in this version ?

All guests are playable in The Zodiac Age. Also, all Espers are playable: you can finally use them and unleash their final attack whenever you see fit (compared to the original in which you needed to meet incredibly ridiculous, dangerous and counter-intuitive conditions to unleash those, such as casting Stone on yourself, low HP for both the summoner and the Esper, being blinded, and I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting the most infuriating ones).

Slaythe

All guests are playable in The Zodiac Age. Also, all Espers are playable: you can finally use them and unleash their final attack whenever you see fit (compared to the original in which you needed to meet incredibly ridiculous, dangerous and counter-intuitive conditions to unleash those, such as casting Stone on yourself, low HP for both the summoner and the Esper, being blinded, and I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting the most infuriating ones).

Woah.

Shemhazai's final attack still has a crappy weird Rust Knot damage equation though I bet

Demonfang

Banned
Could I get some opinions on my combinations below? this stuff stresses me out (I cannot help it!)

Vaan - Shikari/Red Mage
Penelo - White Mage/Monk
Basch - Foebreaker/Bushi
Balthier - Uhlan/Machinist
Ashe - Black Mage/ Knight
Fran - Archer/Time Battle Mage

I wanted to use every job available.

Thanks!!

ObsidianG

I was thinking of turning my Bushi unit into a pure DPS unit with Berserk, so I'm not particularly worried about the magick that I would be missing out on. The Bushi + Ulhan combo has more Battle Lores and Magick Lores than Bushi + Knight so I'm curious as to whether Bushi / Ulhan would do a better job when only dealing damage is concerned.

Of course if we use a Katana and Genji Glove, yeah it (Ulhan) probably would out damage the Knight through combos.

However, my rationalization on Bushi/Knight is this:

Knight makes it easy to wipe out hordes of Undead, especially with Curaja and Excalibur, which is important in a lot of the optional dungeons (Henne Mines Phase 2 Dig, Great Crystal, Pharos Subterra, etc.).

Oh that's a good point! I guess I've always seen bushi as my katana and genji wielder (since I usually only get one pair from the hunts), but Bushi / Knight could make good use of Excalibur since they can boost the Holy damage by equipping the white robes from the bushi license board.

knight / time battlemage could still do well with excalibur and curaja given the magick lores from the time battlemage, which frees up the masamune/genji gloves for the bushi / ulhan for general content.

However, knight / time battlemage would do well with tournesol, and bushi / knight would really shine against undead with holy robes and excalibur (freeing the genji gloves for the shikari / foebreaker)

HeelPower

The soundtrack in this game is mindblowing.

I love tracks when solo instruments sing variations over bass lines. The compositions are extremely layered and sophisticated.

Bhujerba is glorious.

Kensuke

I was thinking of turning my Bushi unit into a pure DPS unit with Berserk, so I'm not particularly worried about the magick that I would be missing out on. The Bushi + Ulhan combo has more Battle Lores and Magick Lores than Bushi + Knight so I'm curious as to whether Bushi / Ulhan would do a better job when only dealing damage is concerned.

Of course if we use a Katana and Genji Glove, yeah it (Ulhan) probably would out damage the Knight through combos.

However, my rationalization on Bushi/Knight is this:

Knight makes it easy to wipe out hordes of Undead, especially with Curaja and Excalibur, which is important in a lot of the optional dungeons (Henne Mines Phase 2 Dig, Great Crystal, Pharos Subterra, etc.).

Yep, there are a lot of undead in the endgame, making it an important consideration. The cool thing about Bushi/Uhlan is that you still have the option of White Robes + Holy Lance. It's not as strong as the Excalibur version, but a decent compromise.

saw this build and was wondering if it had any viability to it?

Vaan: Monk + Bushi
Fran: Black Mage + Red Mage
Ashe: Knight + Time Mage
Balthier: Shikari + Foebreaker
Basch: Uhlan + Archer
Penelo: White Mage + Machinist

It's a great build. Only thing you could consider changing is switching Fran and Penelo around. Penelo has better magic growth and isn't as great as a gunner because her animation speed with guns is slightly slower. This is only if you care about small optimization though.

Could I get some opinions on my combinations below? this stuff stresses me out (I cannot help it!)

Vaan - Shikari/Red Mage
Penelo - White Mage/Monk
Basch - Foebreaker/Bushi
Balthier - Uhlan/Machinist
Ashe - Black Mage/ Knight
Fran - Archer/Time Battle Mage

I wanted to use every job available.

Thanks!!

This setup is pretty good, you should go with it if you like it. I'm just gonna point out some cons so you are aware of them: Black Mage/Knight only gets 2 Swiftness and combines healing spells (which Knight can learn) with Black Magic. It's preferable to not mix those two, because you don't want to interrupt your nuking with healing. A big plus is that it has access to the amazing White Robes + Excalibur combo.

White Mage/Monk has some overlap because Monk can learn some advanced healing spells and Holy too. If you're mainly planning to use it as a White Mage the Monk does add a ton of HP lores to make it very tanky.

Oh how I love this scene.

scb5GR1.jpg

Does your items and loot carry over from trial mode to the main game?Can you start trial mode and simultaneously start the main game and earn loot of trial and carry it over to wherever you are in the main game? Can you access trial mode before playing the main game one time through?
(These ?'s are probably repetitive and confusing sorry.)

Ydelnae

I would have quitted the original game at the Yensa Sandsea. I hate locations like these, this is the only time I'm using the x2 speed so far. I nearly died because one fire orb thing came out of nowhere and wiped all of my party.

Demonfang

Banned
This setup is pretty good, you should go with it if you like it. I'm just gonna point out some cons so you are aware of them: Black Mage/Knight only gets 2 Swiftness and combines healing spells (which Knight can learn) with Black Magic. It's preferable to not mix those two, because you don't want to interrupt your nuking with healing. A big plus is that it has access to the amazing White Robes + Excalibur combo.

White Mage/Monk has some overlap because Monk can learn some advanced healing spells and Holy too. If you're mainly planning to use it as a White Mage the Monk does add a ton of HP lores to make it very tanky.

I think I am going to stick with it. I heard Monk gave a ton of HP so wanted my White Mage to have that!

Thanks for your help!

Nohar

Heh, I actually had forgotten that the game's beginning was pretty good, with top-notch voice acting and stage direction. That first encounter with "Lamont", with
both Balthier and him immediately catching on the situation (well, considering Balthier's past, now that I think about it, they might just have recognized eachother - never realized that until now) and Vaan blurting out Basch's true identity and not catching on he just made a huge mistake (whereas both Balthier and Basch are flabbergasted by his brilliant display of stupidity). Hilarious

Too bad these great scenes just fade out midway through the game... I really wonder what game it would have become if Matsuno had stayed director. Anyhow, no point dwelling on the past.

Also, while Penelo's role is pretty non-existent (well, beyond the first hours), I feel sorry for the girl:
her childhood friend/love interest gets arrested, she gets kidnapped simply for exchanging a few words with a total stranger, got threatened to have her tongue cut for speaking, and finally got dragged into something that doesn't concern her at all and from which she can't back out because at this point she is considered a rebel
. She really needs a hug.

I would have quitted the original game at the Yensa Sandsea. I hate locations like these, this is the only time I'm using the x2 speed so far. I nearly died because one fire orb thing came out of nowhere and wiped all of my party.
When I was a kid it was different, I loved Yensa Sandsea.

Now though...

Caim

Does your items and loot carry over from trial mode to the main game?Can you start trial mode and simultaneously start the main game and earn loot of trial and carry it over to wherever you are in the main game? Can you access trial mode before playing the main game one time through?
(These ?'s are probably repetitive and confusing sorry.)

Yeah the items will carry over.

Not sure if you're required to already have a save to play Trial Mode though.

Can anyone tell me what I need to fill that damn empty block on the licence board between me and Curaga? I really could use access to some better heals now. It's basically the only thing holding me back

I put 80 hours into this back in the PS2 era. Looking at all these discussions about which jobs and classes to assign people make me feel like I'm in for a completely new game when it arrives later this week.

I'm psyched.

teiresias

That will be The Feywood for me. I loathe it.

Caim

Can anyone tell me what I need to fill that damn empty block on the licence board between me and Curaga? I really could use access to some better heals now. It's basically the only thing holding me back

If you're talking about Knight you get access if you give them Mateus.

I haven't played the remaster yet, but I love the serif font they use for the cutscenes. Given the quality of the game's script, the font feels really fitting for the dialogue.

DJwest

So... I can't be the only one playing constantly in turbo mode right? Gosh this makes an already great game so much better.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I love love love

love

Balthier & Fran.
For real, they might be my favourite FF chars ever. Sorry Celes.

Meowster

So... I can't be the only one playing constantly in turbo mode right? Gosh this makes an already great game so much better.
It makes grinding fun. I've leveled up my license boards a ton ever since I got a full party. Probably overleveled at this point but oh well. I'm addicted to unlocking new abilities.

aravuus

I'm playing at 4x like 80% of the time currently lol. I'm OP as fuck currently though, so I can go through every single battle without making any changes to my gambit setup.

Zafir

Nope. So far I've left 2x on all the time.

I tried 4x but I felt that was just a bit too fast for my liking.

Turbo mode makes the game infinitely more likable.

HeelPower

Balthier is the sexiest FF character (sorry Gladiolus: you have the abs, but Balthier pretty much has everything else).

You can be sure Balthier has a refined body 😉 what with all the pirating and physical activity.

Fran demands high standards outta him too 😉😉

He doesnt spend 5 hours at the gym each day do thats whye he's more fun 😂

MilkBeard

Watched the opening and played through part of the opening area. Don't have much time, but the game feels good so far. I don't remember much of this, to be honest, but it's definitely a pleasant surprise.

Getting more excited to play through the game now.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
By the by, the new Prima guide says that Balthier is apparently the best suited for white mage

Lucreto

The memories of skeleton grinding in Barheim Passage. I currently have a battle chain of 150. My party is level 12, with 250 licence points and over 50k in Gil.

Who else power levels here?

Think I finally figured out which jobs each character will get.

Vaan: Shikari/Time Mage
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage
Balthier: Machinist/White Mage
Fran: Breaker/Red Mage
Basch: Uhlan/Archer
Ashe: Bushi/Knight

Don't know how good it will be, but eh.

About turbo mode: was that in the original game? The 2x turbo, too, I mean, not just 4x. I don't remember it being there. I don't have it on all the time, especially not when it's my first time visiting a place. But it's a life saver when you're just trying to get to the other side of Rabanastre or have to do some back tracking or grinding out in the fields.

Zafir

Suprised people like these kinds of additions.

I find the added speed to be comically silly but to each their own.

You're surprised people like a turbo mode in a game which has absolutely gigantic areas, and fights which can last quite a long time?

I think the areas are too big for their own good personally, especially when combined with the poor pacing of the story, and 2x makes them much more tolerable to get through.

Aeana

You're surprised people like a turbo mode in a game which has absolutely gigantic areas, and fights which can last quite a long time?

I think the areas are too big for their own good personally, especially when combined with the poor pacing of the story, and 2x makes them much more tolerable to get through.
The areas feel smaller than they used to to me. I guess that's the result of living in a world where every game is now open world and entirely too big. I love it, personally. Give me areas the size of FF12 and keep your Dragon Age 3 massive areas.

Gala

So I just freed
Ashe
and I think I want to grind now to get my parties up. Can anyone recommend me good place or way to grind around level 13?

Top Bottom