• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Jolkien

I'm avoiding any type of grinding whatsoever, not doing any of the op weapon exploits, not touching trial mode, and playing fights at 2x speed but the game is super easy. Constantly feel overleveled. Ashe 1 shots packs of mobs with mid tier aoe black magic and Basch is an unstoppable killing machine. Thinking of not doing hunts as I unlock them, but I don't want to have to come back later and do a bunch of no challenge hunts all over the place. Do I need to do any hunts in particular to unlock certain endgame hunts/quests/esper fights?

You just need to complete them all. You can go to optional area which is where the bulk of my challenge came from. Like clearing a zone full of lvl 50-60 enemies when I was level 32'ish. Mad XP so my level sky rocketed but like any Final Fantasy the vast majority of the game is super easy. Trial mode is quite challenging and optional content is as well.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
15 hours in and stil not sure if I'm enjoying this or not. Nothing is grabbing me. Just left the tomb of raithwall. I also have 900 LP for most characters and haven't the faintest what I'm supposed to do, how to team my characters, what the hell each job does, and I do feel like I have to spend a lot of time assigning gambits.

I'll get through the next trophy goal of the story and decide then whether to continue. No other Final Fantasy game has stressed me more than it has excited me.

Raithwall is super early in the game, so you won't see class potential for a while. That said, I recommend previewing the license boards before picking jobs (especially if you're picking between spell casters).

A couple things to look out for:
1) Remedy Lore 3 allows you to cure Doom with remedies, so I do advise picking a class (like shikari) for at least one character that can learn Lore 3, given that early bosses and hunts sure love slapping your dudes with Doom.
2) Status ailments are actually really powerful in FFXII, so abilities like Slow, Blind, etc. can actually make the difference in a boss battle. Weapons that can cast ailment on hit/ailment spells are worth looking into.
3) On the flip side, definitely have ppl on your team that can strip beneficial status effects from enemies and cast beneficial status effects on your party (Protect and Shell are mad useful)

Raithwall is super early in the game, so you won't see class potential for a while. That said, I recommend previewing the license boards before picking jobs (especially if you're picking between spell casters).

A couple things to look out for:
1) Remedy Lore 3 allows you to cure Doom with remedies, so I do advise picking a class (like shikari) for at least one character that can learn Lore 3.
2) Status ailments are actually really powerful in FFXII, so abilities like Slow, Blind, etc. can actually make the difference in a boss battle. Weapons that can cast ailment on hit/ailment spells are worth looking into.
3) On the flip side, definitely have ppl on your team that can strip beneficial status effects from enemies and cast beneficial status effects on your party (Protect and Shell are mad useful)

Can you explain 3 specifically? I do have two characters who can strip beneficial status effects except I have no clue what that means

My current setup:

Vaan: Uhlan
Balthier: Foe Breaker
Basch: Knight
Ashe: Red Mage
Panelo: Black Mage
Fran: White Mage

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
15 hours in and stil not sure if I'm enjoying this or not. Nothing is grabbing me. Just left the tomb of raithwall. I also have 900 LP for most characters and haven't the faintest what I'm supposed to do, how to team my characters, what the hell each job does, and I do feel like I have to spend a lot of time assigning gambits.

I'll get through the next trophy goal of the story and decide then whether to continue. No other Final Fantasy game has stressed me more than it has excited me.

For story progression, character synergy doesn't matter all that much really. The game balance is a bit too easy and rarely forces specific class abilities to succeed(at least from what I've seen). Just use whomever you enjoy and don't feel overwhelmed or anxious about leaving some on the bench for stretches.

The hunts(specifically many of the high-level hunts) are what will truly test your gambit and ability use. Many are practically puzzle-like in trying to work out a victory beyond brute force. But those are pretty far along the hunt guild progression.

If anything, this thread has put so much unneeded emphasis on job selection, loadouts, and pairings, that it has painted a false image of how gamers should approach the experience. Even being locked into your choice, there is no wrong decision really and the game isn't really going to put up much resistance outside of the extreme optional stuff.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Can you explain 3 specifically? I do have two characters who can strip beneficial status effects except I have no clue what that means

My current setup:

Vaan: Uhlan
Balthier: Foe Breaker
Basch: Knight
Ashe: Red Mage
Panelo: Black Mage
Fran: White Mage

White mage gets Dispel, which will strip beneficial status effects from enemies. So for instance, let's say you're fighting a boss that has Regen, Haste and Protect cast on itself. Dispel will remove those from the enemy, making them easier to deal with.

If you don't have Dispel, it can be found in a chest in Raithwall (Royal Passage area, northwestern part).

thetrin

Yeah, definitely just play how you want. I was just suggesting a few things that will help you along the way. :)

Brakke

Banned
When do you run back into the Yensa after defeating the Adamantoise? I remember there being a kinda frightening run in with their Queen, but I got to the tomb without triggering that event.

I just did this.

Kill turtle.
Return to the Moogle at the Save crystal.
Exit zone East, start up the ramp. Scene.
Exit zone West, scene.
Talk to Moogle, pluck the flower.

Ourobolus

Banned
Has anyone found out what/if the Phon Coast treasures make a new code? Considering all of the items in there are in English it doesn't spell out "GURANDE TOUDAIKASOU HIKUUTEI" (which hint at the locations of the three invisible weapons), it may not be a code this time around.

EDIT: I guess the items are the same but since it's in English not in Japanese I guess it just doesn't mean anything in this language.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah I let it happen to me because I was curious how it works.

It's "funny" how this game's dinky little dungeon gimmicks have all been more fun than any of Persona 5's dumbgeons. 😥

thetrin

Yeah I let it happen to me because I was curious how it works.

It's "funny" how this game's dinky little dungeon gimmicks have all been more fun than any of Persona 5's dumbgeons. 😥

The game does a good job of throwing in one off gimmicks that are a fun twist from what you've been doing the rest of the game. The demon wall is definitely a good first one.

Meowster

Okay.. the story just got really interesting after a brief interlude of zone-to-zone-to-Archades-to-zone-to-zone. A lot of puzzles and everything is starting to become more chaotic from the grounded medieval atmosphere throughout most of the game. Currently at Giruvegan and
cleared my way through the Great Crystal and met the Occuria. Which they were so obviously evil that I just agreed with everyone else in not trusting them. Fascinating information that really has me curious about Venat - why help the people of Ivalice? Why give up your influence? Is it possible that she has noble intentions?

Okay.. the story just got really interesting after a brief interlude of zone-to-zone-to-Archades-to-zone-to-zone. A lot of puzzles and everything is starting to become more chaotic from the grounded medieval atmosphere throughout most of the game. Currently at Giruvegan and
cleared my way through the Great Crystal and met the Occuria. Which they were so obviously evil that I just agreed with everyone else in not trusting them. Fascinating information that really has me curious about Venat - why help the people of Ivalice? Why give up your influence? Is it possible that she has noble intentions?

Venat? Yes, in a way. She wants to help humans overall. She's still some sort of superior being though so she doesn't really care that some humans has to die for the cause.

SkylineRKR

I found a Diamond Armlet in the chest next to the huge cactoid in Westersand (small dead end below the west exit). Didn't know it was there?

FinalAres

I've gone for the lore friendliest build, anything I should be wary of? (not at the point where I pick second jobs yet though)

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo - Black Mage/Monk
Balthier - Machinist/Uhlan
Fran - Red Battlemage/Archer
Ashe - White Mage/Time Battlemage
Basch - Knight/Bushi

I've gone for the lore friendliest build, anything I should be wary of? (not at the point where I pick second jobs yet though)

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo - Black Mage/Monk
Balthier - Machinist/Uhlan
Fran - Red Battlemage/Archer
Ashe - White Mage/Time Battlemage
Basch - Knight/Bushi
Yeah, don't get the OP secret bow until the next playthrough.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This hunt wants me to go to the Garamsythe Waterway, but the entrance is closed? I put off all hunts until now, just cleared Raithwall's Tomb.

Carbonox

I took a team of level 30's all the way to the 40th level in Trials just by having one character use the Seitengrat.

That's naughty.

Impulsor

This hunt wants me to go to the Garamsythe Waterway, but the entrance is closed? I put off all hunts until now, just cleared Raithwall's Tomb.

Turn around, there is another door RIGHT infront of the one that is closed fo the Garamsythe Waterway. Happened to me too lol.

kromeo

From memory white mouse will trash you at that level but I might be wrong. I seem to have memories of reflecting it to death

Impulsor

From memory white mouse will trash you at that level but I might be wrong. I seem to have memories of reflecting it to death

he will. You also have to go through some nasty level 30 something mobs. White Mousse spams Aquara like there is no tomorrow.

Ydelnae

Finally made it to Archades.

Feels good to have the first cutscene involving team bonding with the members of the party.

38h into the game.

Malrend

Use the entrance opposite that, then go through the southern gate, to reach the sluice switches.
The door you went through to sneak into the palace could only be used that one time..

Can anyone explain to me how Charge works or how am I supposed to use it? I try to recover MP with it but it only recovers like 10% of the MP, and then if it fails it goes back down to 0. Granted, I haven't tried using it that much, but every time I've just given up since I could never really recover much MP without wasting a ton of time.

MilkBeard

Finally made it to Archades.

Feels good to have the first cutscene involving team bonding with the members of the party.

38h into the game.

Even though generally the game is written pretty well, and perhaps even a step above many games, many of the characters feel like they have no personality, and the game still resorts to quips, like other recent Final Fantasy titles, they just happen to be more unique and cleverly dressed than usual.

I wish the same care that was given to the standout characters was also given to some of the others in the party. Basch feels like 'Dutiful Warrior #1,231" once his opening is done. Ashe also feels a bit empty, her having completely ordinary and expected reactions. Fran, for the most part, feels like her only purpose is to look interesting, and also spout plot points.

I haven't gotten all the way through, and I do remember some back story does get detailed later, but I don't think there is much in the way of connection between the party other than to move the plot.

That's not to say I am not enjoying the game, I am; it is quite fun, I enjoy planning my characters, and Balthier is quite funny. But there are flaws in the story and characters that definitely show as you play the game and the grandeur of the opening events begins to wear off.

Einhandr

Can anyone explain to me how Charge works or how am I supposed to use it? I try to recover MP with it but it only recovers like 10% of the MP, and then if it fails it goes back down to 0. Granted, I haven't tried using it that much, but every time I've just given up since I could never really recover much MP without wasting a ton of time.

Yeah for me I only ever get back like 10 or less MP. Granted that was early game and I didn't have a lot of magick lores open but I also stopped using it. I wonder if it becomes more effective the more magick lores you have.

mieumieu

I put it in my top gambit slot (below item healing)

Self MP < 20% Charge

This is because the success rate is lower if your current MP percentage is higher. At 30% you get a 30% fail rate which is quite risky.

Aeana

It's an emergency move that you aren't supposed to use unless you have really low MP. Basically to be used when you don't even have enough MP to cast a single spell.

With that said, considering how easy ethers are to get in this version of the game, it's kind of superfluous.

I just did this.

Kill turtle.
Return to the Moogle at the Save crystal.
Exit zone East, start up the ramp. Scene.
Exit zone West, scene.
Talk to Moogle, pluck the flower.

Ahh, I should've doubled back. I'll try when I get home tonight. Thank you.

(Or not, cause, Destiny 2 beta lol but I'll get to it eventually).

The only Quickenings you really need to worry about are those for Shikari. The other boards don't have much behind their Quickenings but some extra HP or some other small buffs.
Espers are what you really need to be mapping out, and even those are kind of late into the game. The first esper you unlock doesn't gate too much behind it.

Ahh, so just gotta worry about Vaan then lol. Thanks.

Man, do the characters ever stop bespeeching each other? Does the whole game have a single conversation that is actually a conversation between characters instead of emotionally stirring and 'meaningful' plot drivel?

SkylineRKR

Grabbed the Seitengrat, so I don't have to do that shit again unless I want more of them, lol. Not gonna use it, its a stupid weapon and I enjoy the game enough as is.

I heard PS4 Pro users had difficulties getting it. It worked for me on Ps4 pro like this:

Only set Vaan active, equip him with Dragon Armlet. Book a flight from Rabanastre to Nalbina and choose Leisure. Go to the upper deck and when you're on it and the autosave icon disappears, close application. Then restart game, load your autosave and grab a stop watch.

What seemed to work 100% for me was, enable stop watch as soon as Vaan appears on screen after load, turn back to the door so that you see the prompt. Then when the watch hits 19 seconds, press X to enter. Then turn around and go outside again. Then go upwards to the chest location. When its not there, close application and restart game. I had it the third time, and the first time I went for 19 secs at the door.

When the chest is there you'll know as you bump into something. Then look at the boy, let him walk to his father 4 times (I didn't use speed boost), when he goes for the 4th time towards his dad, press X as soon as he turns to him (study that animation on forehand) and before he raises his hand.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
One of the down sides of the x4 is that I have this weird thing where I feel like I'm not really learning how to play the game, I'm just levelling past the danger threshold for most bosses.

It's like... I dunno. Make gambits for Dispel, Esuna and Raise. Maybe protect or shell depending on the hunt. And then I either win comfortably, or the boss becomes immune to physical damage and does a massive group damage attack on critical HP and I lose. Grind a bit. Rinse, repeat.

I think I'm kind of digging the game in a weird "football manager" kind of way, but I don't quite feel like I'm playing as intended.

Finished the game for the first time ever. Was fantastic.

I really miss JRPGs. That feeling of character growth, overcoming impossible odds and going on a grand adventure. It doesn't get better than this.

It really rekindled my love for the franchise. I want to go back and give XV another go.

Rookhelm

question about Lhusa Mines

Just got there for the first time with, um...Larson or whatever? Vayne's brother.
We were there to find Penelo. Fought the bosses, finished the mines...penelo runs off with Larson.

But in the mines there were additional paths that were blocked off by gates. Can I get there now, or do they open up later?

MilkBeard

One of the down sides of the x4 is that I have this weird thing where I feel like I'm not really learning how to play the game, I'm just levelling past the danger threshold for most bosses.

It's like... I dunno. Make gambits for Dispel, Esuna and Raise. Maybe protect or shell depending on the hunt. And then I either win comfortably, or the boss becomes immune to physical damage and does a massive group damage attack on critical HP and I lose. Grind a bit. Rinse, repeat.

I think I'm kind of digging the game in a weird "football manager" kind of way, but I don't quite feel like I'm playing as intended.

Yeah, I don't really recommend playing the game on speed a lot. I only use 2x at times when I have to trek across a map, or do something that doesn't require much effort. I don't think you can get a meaningful experience, at least as it is intended, by playing the game with x4 switched on a lot. My opinion anyway.

Yeah, I don't really recommend playing the game on speed a lot. I only use 2x at times when I have to trek across a map, or do something that doesn't require much effort. I don't think you can get a meaningful experience, at least as it is intended, by playing the game with x4 switched on a lot. My opinion anyway.

I agree but I'm also hopelessly addicted to x4. It's just too convenient.

kromeo

Man, do the characters ever stop bespeeching each other? Does the whole game have a single conversation that is actually a conversation between characters instead of emotionally stirring and 'meaningful' plot drivel?

6mUqeXJ.png

I don't remember getting this many rust knots w/ diamond armlet.

Can't decide to keep on leader or not!

I guess I could just bring it out later w/ a guide when looking for specific chest drops, but don't like to play that way.

Top Bottom