• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Freeman76

One thing I loved about other FF games, 13 included, is that sense of being a very small part of a huge adventure. It's hard to put into words really, but FF does it better than most games. I'm tempted to pick this up to see if it has that same feel as some of the others.

Jolkien

So I'm farming some materials for some bazaar goodness, when I sell for exemple my items for my gemsteel, do I need to sell the material one at a time to buy a single gemsteel or I can sell everything in bulk ?

MogCakes

It's true, though. I haven't had a single interesting interaction between the characters.
There are a few moments, but they are fleeting. The narrative isn't focused on the party as the central elements in the story, they are players in a larger drama. You likely won't get what you're looking for.

Perineum

It's true, though. I haven't had a single interesting interaction between the characters.

Huh? How far are you and how much attention are you paying?

Ashe and Vaan under the moonlight in Jahara.

Basch and Vossler on the airship.

Fran to Vaan about her age.

Fran to her sisters.

I mean if you aren't wanting to see the cast interact you won't ever see them interact, but these characters are very well written (minus Penelo) and they do have fantastic back and forth throughout the game up to the point I am at.

If you are expecting some japanime levels of waifu simulator then Persona 5 has you covered. If you want forced dialogues that feel out of place then Final Fantasy 15 has you covered too.

traveler

Not Wario
Larsa's wordless performance at Mt Bur-Omisace following Al-Cid's revelation is better than 99% of emoting in modern FFs. Actual restraint, but with clear emotion tearing away underneath.

Granted, not the same as cast interaction, but I think the above post covered that pretty well anyways.

Aeana

tbh it's refreshing to play a game for once where the characters don't stop on the side of the road to talk about a party member's boob size or how one of the female characters can't cook or

You should look at other boards that you plan to pair with characters and see what licences are locked behind certain Quickenings and plan accordingly.
With Shikari especially you have to choose which of the 3 of 4 ninja sword licences you want, because you /will/ have to go without one of them. I personally skipped Ninja Swords 1.

Huh. Seems like more planning than I initially bargained for. ):

Perineum

tbh it's refreshing to play a game for once where the characters don't stop on the side of the road to talk about a party member's boob size or how one of the female characters can't cook or

This. Oh my God this.

I'm up to my ears in those JRPGs, and to have a game take itself seriously is a breath of fresh air.

Rookhelm

So I'm farming some materials for some bazaar goodness, when I sell for exemple my items for my gemsteel, do I need to sell the material one at a time to buy a single gemsteel or I can sell everything in bulk ?

The maximum you should be selling is the minimum required for the recipe.

For example, if recipe A calls for 5 wolf skins and 5 pebbles, you should only be selling between 1 and 5 of each at any time. If you sell 10, you're not going to get 2 recipe A's, since the Bazaar can only carry one recipe A at a time.

If recipe A is even repeatable in the bazaar, sell your 5's, get the recipe, and sell 5 more to get another one. Don't sell 10 at once.

Shifty1897

Foe: HP=100% -> Steal has been an interesting gambit. On one side, it means that a character can get stuck in a steal loop instead of doing damage in large groups of enemies.

On the flip side, I have more money than I know what to do with. Worth it I guess.

This is usually where somebody would say something like 'I forgot how fantastic this gme is' or 'I forgot how much I loved this game'.

But I didnt forget.

I loved this game from the day it was releases in 2006, have replayed the ps2 version several times, and thought about the game, the art, the world, the reveals so much in the time since.

Its a joy to be replaying it again in hi-def with all the International Edition upgrades I never got to experience before.

MilkBeard

This. Oh my God this.

I'm up to my ears in those JRPGs, and to have a game take itself seriously is a breath of fresh air.

While it's a breath of fresh air, there are plenty of games that take themselves seriously and have more interaction between characters.

I think the fact that FF XII takes itself seriously is a positive and a negative. It's a negative because at times it feels like it's taking itself too seriously, focusing on plot and action sequences above character development at times, and it is a belief of a lot of people (myself included) that a plot loses its effect when the characters don't have many unique traits or drives beyond the plot. Because of this, when there are inconsistencies, it's harder to let them slide (in my opinion). For much of the game the characters are just furthering the plot, and we don't get much about their likes and dislikes, what makes them drive, beyond some witty quips from Balthier, and a few minor moments here and there that are completely expected. And in that sense, they aren't much more than caricatures, which is what people often level against other games in the franchise.

I'm about 9 hours in, so I know there are those moments to look forward to, and one can't expect too much, although I must admit that previous Final Fantasy titles themselves had more character depth, even if the writing itself was more juvenile or cliched in those games. Because of this, I feel like many gamers are dazzled by the word usage and above-average delivery, and not looking deeper at what characters are actually being portrayed. But this is my own interpretation anyway. Overall, I'm enjoying the game, but people claiming that the story or writing is leagues above other Final Fantasy titles confuses me, as I feel like the story is rather average at its core, underneath the sheen of a good translation and clever presentation.

I get that the game is trying to portray the political gears of a story bigger than the characters, but it is a complaint that can be brought against the game, I think.

I would still rate it pretty highly though overall; as a video game in itself it tells a good story and is a good game, and although I enjoyed it when I played it back upon initial release, it has surprised me on how well it holds up.

Jolkien

The maximum you should be selling is the minimum required for the recipe.

For example, if recipe A calls for 5 wolf skins and 5 pebbles, you should only be selling between 1 and 5 of each at any time. If you sell 10, you're not going to get 2 recipe A's, since the Bazaar can only carry one recipe A at a time.

If recipe A is even repeatable in the bazaar, sell your 5's, get the recipe, and sell 5 more to get another one. Don't sell 10 at once.

Alright, thanks :)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Fran to her sisters.

I mean if you aren't wanting to see the cast interact you won't ever see them interact, but these characters are very well written (minus Penelo) and they do have fantastic back and forth throughout the game up to the point I am at.

If you are expecting some japanime levels of waifu simulator then Persona 5 has you covered. If you want forced dialogues that feel out of place then Final Fantasy 15 has you covered too.
I generally agree with what you're saying, but man is this an unnecessarily judgmental and aggressive post.

The moments that are there are good. I just wish there were more of them :/ Playing the game again has made me realize that its story is a lot better than I remember, relative sparseness aside.

Caim

I don't remember getting this many rust knots w/ diamond armlet.

Can't decide to keep on leader or not!

I guess I could just bring it out later w/ a guide when looking for specific chest drops, but don't like to play that way.

It's a really high chance (90ish) for knots and a low chance for Meteorites, Elixirs, etc.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just finished Giruvegan and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying the story. There are a lot of cutscenes coupled with some amazing voice acting. Cid is great!

Fisty

Thank god, FINALLY got Seitengrat... after about 6 hours

I was only able to make the chest spawn 3 times, and finally got the bow after waiting for the boy to go the fence 3 times, instead of the 4 that everybody keeps saying. I used the 7-zone method, and the 3 boy fence walks to finally get it. I only wanted one damn bow for my WM/MACH Balthier

Toth

Foe: HP=100% -> Steal has been an interesting gambit. On one side, it means that a character can get stuck in a steal loop instead of doing damage in large groups of enemies.

On the flip side, I have more money than I know what to do with. Worth it I guess.

You can counter this by having a Foe: 2 or 3+ amount (your choice) = Attack before the Steal gambit.

Valus

I solved this by adding another gambit with more priority. Foes: 3+ targets nearby -> Attack makes it so if there's 3 or more targets they will attack but once the numbers dwindle to 2 or less they will go back to stealing.

kromeo

X in a lot of ways is the complete opposite of XII and has a lot of the character stuff people are talking about. Personally I think both approaches work, I love both games about the same

MogCakes

I'm about 9 hours in, so I know there are those moments to look forward to, and one can't expect too much, although I must admit that previous Final Fantasy titles themselves had more character depth, even if the writing itself was more juvenile or cliched in those games. Because of this, I feel like many gamers are dazzled by the word usage and above-average delivery, and not looking deeper at what characters are actually being portrayed. But this is my own interpretation anyway. Overall, I'm enjoying the game, but people claiming that the story or writing is leagues above other Final Fantasy titles confuses me, as I feel like the story is rather average at its core, underneath the sheen of a good translation and clever presentation.

I get that the game is trying to portray the political gears of a story bigger than the characters, but it is a complaint that can be brought against the game, I think.
I disagree about other FF casts generally having more depth of character, but your points are reasonable. At the end of the day, deadlines approach and budget is spent, suits need to be answered to and no one game can have everything, not with so wide a scope. There are a great many short FMVs, but I do think if the game had shown more of the personal side of the characters just interacting (not in anime fashion, mind, as that wouldn't be appropriate with the game's presentation) that it would compliment the gameplay segments substantially. More scenes with the Judges, more of the supporting cast, more of the main characters interacting during side quests and showing more that they are living beings reacting to the world around them - that would be a great boon.

That being said, personally, I think what scenes we have do a great job of fleshing out the party's and antagonists' motivations, back story, and character flaws and personalities, and they do so with subtlety in the dialogue. The actors do a fantastic job of bringing the script to life, which itself is well written for fact of allowing the reader to interpret and question for themselves the meaning and intent of the characters speaking. It isn't simply the wording and delivery, it is the net effect which informs the game's attitude, that is to say the game does not spell out a lot of things and approaches its themes with a measure of maturity. Case in point, if we apply 'word usage' and above average delivery to FFXV, the plot inconsistencies and exaggerated dialogues between Noctis and company remain as such. XII isn't simply worded well, it is well written, and its characters are no exception. Would that we simply had more.

You can counter this by having a Foe: 2 or 3+ amount (your choice) = Attack before the Steal gambit.

I solved this by adding another gambit with more priority. Foes: 3+ targets nearby -> Attack makes it so if there's 3 or more targets they will attack but once the numbers dwindle to 2 or less they will go back to stealing.

Huh, had the same problem, but hadn't thought of that solution yet. Thanks, this will help a lot. No more Fran deciding a bone fragment needs to be stolen from a skeleton while fighting the Nidhogg.

It's a really high chance (90ish) for knots and a low chance for Meteorites, Elixirs, etc.

Well that explains it. What would these chests be giving me w/OUT diamond though?

I've gone w/ this this time around and it's nice. Auto steal but not when things get really hectic. Another idea I'm playing around w/ is also giving priority to something like Foe: HP < 30%: Attack. That way your thief still helps wipe out weaker enemies before moving on to the next steal attempt. Especially when most enemies power up at critical HP, not good to leave too many of them in that state w/ limited party focus.

Ralemont

not me
X in a lot of ways is the complete opposite of XII and has a lot of the character stuff people are talking about. Personally I think both approaches work, I love both games about the same

Considering I hated X's characters having a lot of time spent on them wasn't a pro to me.

Had some trouble beating Ring Wyrm right after the Tomb of Raithwall. Then I remembered I had Belias. Belias took him down to about 20%, including his healing move. Then I used Lure and kited it around a small cactus while Shades of Black and Numerology nuked it. See ya, Ring Wym.

I love that you can exploit pathing, haha.

I tried to kite Gil Snapper the same way, it moves super slowly and can be Immobilized and Silenced, but the ally from Clan Centurio kinda defeats the purpose. Feels good to struggle and beat marks early, when I know I could come back a hour or so later with different spells/weapons and dominate it. I can't even claim this reward until the Rains end.

Haven't decided what to pair Shikari and Uhlan with. Thinking Archer for Shikari and Foebreaker for Uhlan.

Ourobolus

Banned
Well that explains it. What would these chests be giving me w/OUT diamond though?

The Diamond Armlet really isn't worth it IMO (at least while running through the story. After you've collected treasures once in an area, go crazy with the Armlet). The only place it's useful is on Cerobi Steppe, where pretty much every chest has a chance to drop the highest level weapons/armor (with the exception of the strongest weapons for each type that have to be made through the bazaar).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Thinking about picking this up now that I'm winding down Automata and have a whole week left of vacation---I played the original quite a bit in the day but the lack of "solid classes" bothered me, a little structure in this version has me excited.

I'm not too bothered about optimal class set-ups and such like that, but would you all say there's "canon" classess that best fit the characters?

Ourobolus

Banned
Thinking about picking this up now that I'm winding down Automata and have a whole week left of vacation---I played the original quite a bit in the day but the lack of "solid classes" bothered me, a little structure in this version has me excited.

I'm not too bothered about optimal class set-ups and such like that, but would you all say there's "canon" classess that best fit the characters?

There's a lore friendly set up somewhere but I think most people agree it's something like this:

Vaan - Shikari
Fran - Archer
Balthier - Machinist
Basch - Knight
Penelo - White Mage
Ashe - Black Mage

The Diamond Armlet really isn't worth it IMO (at least while running through the story. After you've collected treasures once in an area, go crazy with the Armlet). The only place it's useful is on Cerobi Steppe, where pretty much every chest has a chance to drop the highest level weapons/armor (with the exception of the strongest weapons for each type that have to be made through the bazaar).

Sounds like good advice, and opens up an accessory slot for something more interesting too.

I mean, sure, it feels like Balthier and machinist are meant to be lore-wise, but IIRC, in terms of strict mechanics it's not an ideal choice due to animation timing or something.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. Pick the classes you like, and if doing it yourself, pick second jobs that cover the weaknesses of the primary job. But really, there's so many people who have come up with "ideal" combinations that you can just search those and see which one you like.

Considering I hated X's characters having a lot of time spent on them wasn't a pro to me.

Yup.

I agree that X and XII are opposites though, which is probably why I enjoy XII so much.

FF12, and its cast especially, is such a breath of fresh air compared to what 99% of JRPG casts are like now.

Rizzi

I'm confused about something in the license board.
I made Basch a Shikari. Why wouldn't I just head straight towards ninja swords, and never use daggers? Am I missing something?

Jolkien

I'm confused about something in the license board.
I made Basch a Shikari. Why wouldn't I just head straight towards ninja swords, and never use daggers? Am I missing something?

You can't use a shield with ninja sword. Sometime you want the tankiness a shield provides.

While it's a breath of fresh air, there are plenty of games that take themselves seriously and have more interaction between characters.

I think the fact that FF XII takes itself seriously is a positive and a negative. It's a negative because at times it feels like it's taking itself too seriously, focusing on plot and action sequences above character development at times, and it is a belief of a lot of people (myself included) that a plot loses its effect when the characters don't have many unique traits or drives beyond the plot. Because of this, when there are inconsistencies, it's harder to let them slide (in my opinion). For much of the game the characters are just furthering the plot, and we don't get much about their likes and dislikes, what makes them drive, beyond some witty quips from Balthier, and a few minor moments here and there that are completely expected. And in that sense, they aren't much more than caricatures, which is what people often level against other games in the franchise.

I would still rate it pretty highly though overall; as a video game in itself it tells a good story and is a good game, and although I enjoyed it when I played it back upon initial release, it has surprised me on how well it holds up.

Yeah, this puts it in perspective far more eloquently than I could

Fran to her sisters.

So first, don't be a dick. Second, I've played for >30 hours, these moments are few and far between. Maybe Persona has spoiled me with the amount of interaction you can have there (and no, I don't want a waifu simulator as you put it), but I remember the X remaster I played about a year ago had a lot more party interaction.

i remember a time, quite a while back, when i found this stuff kind of weirdly charming. but now, even the tiniest amount of it goes a long, long way in completely putting me off :) ...

so, yes, it is a pure blast playing ffxii again!...

Ourobolus

Banned
Anybody has an opinion has to who to give the trophy hunt breakdown ? I'm torn, could use some help.

These are the only two options I would really consider. Up to you which way you want to go:

Code:
Atak	Blok	Stok	Reward	Cost
5	5	15	Genji Gloves	447000
10	10	10	Zodiac Spear, Zodiac Escutcheon	999999

Top Bottom