• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 E3 Information Thread [Trailer, BioWare Storytelling, More]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
E3 is tiring lol. But we got some great stuff out of Kitase and Toriyama. I ended up sitting next to Toriyama actually, and later on I saw Shinji Hashimoto in the private S-E booth and when I was in line for Hitman's closed door demo, I turned around and Yoichi Wada was right next to me.

The more I see of XIII-2 the more hyped I get

It looks like they are hitting all the right notes, but I just hope the story and characters are better this time around.

The Lightning part reminds me of Breath of Fire IV where every once in awhile you would play as the old dragon and tear through everything. I always liked how that worked. Make Noel a dragon, rename the girl Nia and we have ourselves a game :p

In fact they were looking for Nia's sister in BoF IV also...

Will there be a new rpgsite.net podcast today or just the interview?

Kagari said:
E3 is tiring lol. But we got some great stuff out of Kitase and Toriyama. I ended up sitting next to Toriyama actually, and later on I saw Shinji Hashimoto in the private S-E booth and when I was in line for Hitman's closed door demo, I turned around and Yoichi Wada was right next to me.
THAT WAS YOUR CHANCE TO STRIKE HIM DOWN

LiK

Kagari said:
What if Nomura was there?!

LiK said:
FFIX Bahamut was my fave. Back when they still looked like dragons.

FF9Bahamut.jpg
Yeah. Now they look like humanoid failures. I'm sick of humanoid designs.

Lebron

Kagari said:
What they smell like?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It was dead silent when we got in the interview room lol. Kitase did most of the talking. The best part of all that was, there were some edgy questions we asked and as we were asking them, Kitase did laugh like he knew that certain things were heavily criticized with FFXIII.

Kagari said:
It was dead silent when we got in the interview room lol. Kitase did most of the talking. The best part of all that was, there were some edgy questions we asked and as we were asking them, Kitase did laugh like he knew that certain things were heavily criticized with FFXIII.
Hehe. I can't wait to read the interview, I really can't.

RPGCrazied

Some new info in the GT gameplay demo. At least for me. I just noticed this watching some of it. The dude said town(s) are in the game, and the one they showed off was just 1? Who knows, could be more.

ugh.jpg

So monsters drop parts again? Ugh, this isn't looking to good for a new weapon system.

Myriadis

Kagari said:

Kitase:(laughs)
Yeah,I also want to read the interview,hopefully some interesting stuff here.

RPGCrazied said:
So monsters drop parts again? Ugh, this isn't looking to good for a new weapon system.
They also apparently drop themselves. Crazy.

Monsters dropping parts really isn't a problem; it's what the game does with them. FFX had a cool weapon/armor system based on customizing equipment with monster parts. FFXII basically had you sell everything that got dropped and occasionally unlock something nice as a bonus (but mostly the drops were a fairly superfluous way to get money via selling items instead of getting straight-up Gil drops). FFXIII uses enemy-dropped items to basically have you dump points in the bucket until it's full.

FFXII's and FFXIII's enemy-dropped parts are kinda lame; FFX's was just fine. It really comes down to how they are used.

RPGCrazied

badcrumble said:
They also apparently drop themselves. Crazy.

Monsters dropping parts really isn't a problem; it's what the game does with them. FFX had a cool weapon/armor system based on customizing equipment with monster parts. FFXII basically had you sell everything that got dropped and occasionally unlock something nice as a bonus (but mostly the drops were a fairly superfluous way to get money via selling items instead of getting straight-up Gil drops). FFXIII uses enemy-dropped items to basically have you dump points in the bucket until it's full.

FFXII's and FFXIII's enemy-dropped parts are kinda lame; FFX's was just fine. It really comes down to how they are used.

Yeah. I think the ones that drop themselves are highlighted, but the rest wasn't. Lets just hope its like XII, and just sellable loot. :p

Pooya

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/6132/square-enix-talks-final-fantasy-xiii-2

some more from Kitase, you will get DLC.
Speaking to Nowgamer on the E3 show floor, producer Yoshinori Kitase, explained that he felt the universe of XIII was complete, but saw huge potential for it.

The studio is mindful of the critical devotion to XIII and the split to XIII-2. Kitase wants to ensure it remains close to XIII, but adds new content, worthy of the universe. Kitase went on to say that he was disappointed in the approach and lack of DLC for XIII and stated that there will be much more content coming to XIII-2.

Speaking about XIII Versus, XIII-2 hasn't halted development on it at all and it’s still very much in development at the studio. Kitase stated that Square Enix wouldn’t be looking to create a new core game in FF series on Nintendo’s 3DS, like they did with Dragon Quest 9. Square Enix sees the series as being on the cutting edge of visuals and doesn’t believe the 3DS could deliver on that vision.

In regards to Wii U though, Kitase said the studio was looking into the possibilities of the format, but currently FF XIII-2 is not coming to the new system.

Cinematic Action: Key battles will include moments of Cinematic Action, which is another name for quick-time events. For instance, during a battle against the behemoth Atlas I had to push the analog stick to the right in order to dodge its fist, and then press the X button at the right moment to land a heavy sword attack right on its forehead.

awesome. they've added the cancer that is killing gaming.

RPGCrazied

I'm liking what I'm seeing. :) Except the pokeman aspect of it. Did it really resonate well with people in DoTNW? I guess so, but I thought it was awful. I sure hope we don't find out the old cast is playable, but they join at specific times and have unchangeable equipment. I bet at set levels too. :p

Go_Ly_Dow

At least it seems like the QTE's will have some relevance, outside of looking pretty. Giving you stat buffs and better drops if you complete them successfully.

CruxisMana said:
True. I meant in more of a Dark Aeon sense.

Gametrailers just uploaded a developer walkthrough of the showfloor demo;

Part 1; http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-final-fantasy/715412

4 developer walkthrough's are now up. Not sure if there's any new info in them.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/final-fantasy-xiii-2/14354

Kagari said:
Could you feel your writing abilities degrading?
Kagari said:
I would melt.
Then I guess you wouldn't be able to interrogate him about Versus. Kagari I am disappoint.

I look forward to your interview.

Pooya

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-08-final-fantasy-xiii-2-preview

quotes from Kitase and Toriyama via eurogamer,

"We achieved big sales as expected but we received mixed reviews from gamers,"

"The good points included the game system, which was popular, so we're intending to take it into XIII-2. On the other hand, the game progression was quite linear - that was the main criticism we received.

"All the aspects that didn't go down as well as they should have done we took very seriously and we came up with improvements, or replacements or additional features. Every single issue has been tackled."

"You actually have much more choice," he explained. "You can choose what you want to say to NPCs or whatever. It's not just that you make a choice and have to deal with the consequences, it's more than that. It's supposed to make you think about puzzles or unsolved situations, together with the NPCs in the games."

"With XIII the main concept was for it to be story-driven," explained director Motomu Toriyma. "As opposed to that, with XIII-2 the concept is player-driven. So with every single aspect of the game the player has to have some kind of access or they've got to be able to interact with the game in some way or another.

"When it comes to cut-scenes, cinematic action allows each player to take part in the decisions or create different ways [of playing the game] depending on what you want to do."

Whether it will be enough to right the series' recent wrongs remains to be seen, but at the very least it should deserve a second look from those left cold by its predecessor's populist, linear twist on the franchise's decades-old formula. Toriyama for one certainly believes the brand is back on track.

"The core message we have about making XIII-2 is this game should be able to appeal and be enjoyed by those who bought XIII and enjoyed it, those who didn't buy the game and those who bought the game and gave it up because it wasn't good enough for them. It should have universal appeal to all Final Fantasy players.

"We're poised to make a really dramatic comeback with Final Fantasy XIII-2," he adds, confidently.

hehe

SykoTech

Sounds good. I'm still going through the original and the linearity is becoming a bit annoying. It's enjoyable, but feels like all I'm doing is jogging a few feet before running into another battle. Could really use some exploration and variety.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh Toriyama, you make me laugh. I waved to him later on after the show and he waved back though lol.

Kagari said:
Soon! I just finished the transcript, being edited now.

Must read!!

Also, has it been brought up yet, about the lack of Snow? Really the lack of all the old characters? Just catching up on news now.

Seda

demosthenes said:
Must read!!

Also, has it been brought up yet, about the lack of Snow? Really the lack of all the old characters? Just catching up on news now.

Yes, many times. With many jokes.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari should have gotten Toriyama's head though if she had the chance.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ULTROS! said:
Kagari should have gotten Toriyama's head though if she had the chance.

Are you ready for your avatar :D It's back on my home PC though so you'll have to wait. And yes I had it ready for weeks.

Well, no matter how it is I will play it, it's FF (yes, I'm part of the problem). The game looks to be on par/better than FFXIII, so that's good with me.

Kagari, did you play the demo? Any impressions how it compares to FFXIII? Did you ask Toriyama/Kagase about the possibility of FF HD collection?

P.S. Isn't it obvious Noel is alternate reality male Fang?

RPGCrazied

Castor Krieg said:
Did you ask Toriyama/Kagase about the possibility of FF HD collection?

I'd really like their thoughts on this one too, specially since almost every developer is doing this, smaller companies too.

Just seems like easy $$$$$ to me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Castor Krieg said:
Well, no matter how it is I will play it, it's FF (yes, I'm part of the problem). The game looks to be on par/better than FFXIII, so that's good with me.

Kagari, did you play the demo? Any impressions how it compares to FFXIII? Did you ask Toriyama/Kagase about the possibility of FF HD collection?

http://ps3.rpgsite.net/news/1119-final-fantasy-xiii2-first-look-podcast My impressions, in audio form.

Private demo impressions later on. I have an EA booth tour coming up here shortly.

I wasn't able to ask Toriyama/Kitase about HD collections. The moderator cut us short :/

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
Are you ready for your avatar :D It's back on my home PC though so you'll have to wait. And yes I had it ready for weeks.

Yeah, I can take the shame again.

Wanna bet Versus XIII for E3 2012? :p

Seda

Castor Krieg said:

There's a ~3 page interview transcript coming up. Hopefully soon.

Seda

Dunan said:
Looking forward to reading this, Kagari.

Hope the "really dramatic comeback" happens with this game.

It won't, people are too jaded with the first I think. Maybe with Versus though.

Top Bottom