• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
is the smith fellow the guy in charge of localization for ff games?

No, he(and his partner) mostly only localizes Matsuno's stuff. Also had a hand in X-2, X.

He and his company have been responsible for some of the better localizations in the series.

And despite what some will tell you, he is goo even when he does not attempt the 'ye olde westerosi' stuff as Fire Emblem 7 and Ace Attorney 1 & 4 were also done by him.

I wasn't around GAF when FFX came out.

Did it get panned for it's writing as much as FFXIII?

I thought FFX was much worse, of course it could have been exacerbated by the horrible VA(Tidus) on top of it.

Chris R

The story is better than FFXs

I'm having a great time with the game. Sure it could be better in parts, but I don't have any major problems with it. Wish I could turn off the little transition video during paradigm shifts though :( Well that and get rid of the first screen after a battle (combine them into one for the international edition!!!)

Snow's gaggle of penis munchers called Nora say they're heroes and want to save people being purged, but always end up saying cheeseball lines such as,"No one can beat Nora!" or "Aren't you supposed to save her, HERO?".
Really now :-/

I feel that Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect 1, Dragon Age, Etrian Odyssey, Devil Survivor, Tales of Vesperia, Raidou 2, and especially Mass Effect 2, Persona 3/4, Valkyrie Profile 2, Valkyrie Chronicles and Demon's Souls are far better games. That's almost every rpg I have played since the release of FF12, not including FF remakes.
I would agree, excepting the games which I haven't played (ToV, ME2, EO, VP2), but if I'm being honest with myself I'd consider the most above mentioned to also be better than nearly every one of the Final Fantasy games I've played. (I haven't played 2 and 3 and 5, and there's always the possibility that I'll be, like, the one person who likes 2. Believe!)

Cep

Banned
Himuro said:
Probably just a little better. He did FF10 after all, although that had some good lines and felt fairly realistic (at least to me).

Well in X and X-2 he had smaller roles.

In XII, Vagrant Story and FFTA 1 and 2, he did everything. From VA director to translator to ADR.

What a well put together review Himuro. Very informative showing off the strengths and weakness of the game and giving some very good history on what has been done in former FF games that's been missing for a long time.

One of the best reviews i've read in years. I to hope that FFvsXIII will bring back the that made Final Fantasy stick out in front of the crowd.

Himuro said:
Sorry if that review is poorly written, haha.

Naw, that's not the case. I know Red is in FF7 and I didn't get them mixed up.

I wouldn't suggest getting it at full price but I guess it's worth playing. You may have a different reaction than me.

Yea i figured you didn't get them mixed up, just thought it was a little weird you didn't use a character from one of your favorites. No big deal just a small thing I noticed. :D

Cep said:
Well in X and X-2 he had smaller roles.

In XII, Vagrant Story and FFTA 1 and 2, he did everything. From VA director to translator to ADR.

You think Matsuno took a liking to his localization style? Since he had the most control when it came to the Ivalice games.

Also the co-owner of his localization company did WoTL.

He didn't have nearly as much control with X/X-2 as he did with the Ivalice games.

Babalu.

Totally agree with everything Himuro said. This game is a turd wrapped in fancy graphics and fast actions with no microgame. I'de give it a 5/10. It was a 6/10 until I beat the game then the totally retarded dues ex machina ending killed it totally off.

Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant I would rate above this. I've never played any other Final Fantasies except for 4,5,and 6 so I can't comment on the comparison to 3d FF's.

Such a dissapointment. I had fun and am only playing now to grind my way to 1000/1000. I never, ever, ever plan to play this game again and will sell it off as soon as I possibly can.

Good cutscenes, thats about all i'll remember from this one.

Fantastic review Himuro and agreed on pretty much all points except ranking of FFs. This game is such a tremendous step back from FF12, undoing all the great evolution of that game and even making some of it's weaknesses look good by comparison. With the exception of character design (main characters only) and some aspects of the inherently flawed battle system, I can't think of anything FF13 does to advance the series or the genre.

Dresden

Himuro said:
$19?

Speaking of which, how much can I get for FF13 if I traded it in gamestop? I hope I get at least half price, because I want STRANGE JOURNEY.
They were giving out thirty bucks in credit just a week ago, might have dipped down a bit.

And welcome back to the light. Exploring endless corridors that all look the same has never been more fun, especially on a handheld.

Magnus

Nice Himuro. Agreed on most points.

I wrote a 12-page retrospective (/semi-tirade) up for a friend's game blog, but have to trim it down a bit. Might link it here when done.

Joei

Himuro said:
Oh, right. I forgot one note:

- The dialogue. It is terrible. "Mom's are tough!""Didn't you say you were gonna save her HERO?","Heroes don't die!"," Wishing and praying won't do anything, all I can do now is dream!","Ciao!". Ad infinitum.

And to think we had dialogue like this in the last game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLBGbUGryRE

This is one of the many reasons that I love FF12 <3<3<3

I actually find the dialog of FF13 insulting because there is so much of it and it's so poorly written. I read it and watch the cutscenes because I still want to understand the game as a whole, but it's just so, so bad. There are times when they're trying to be inspirational(every other cutscene) and I begin to think that the writers were sitting there thinking this is actually good dialog. Seriously, next time you're listening to Snow or whoever talk about how they shouldn't give up hope, think of the guy at his desk writing this shit with a smile on his face. It pisses me off everytime. And the sheer amount of text is astounding. It honestly feels like filler because there was nothing else they could think of. I actually had very high hopes for this game even with the negative reception, but I can see exactly why there were a lot of disgruntled people with it's release.

I'm in chapter 11 right now, and they could have EASILY cut 2/3rds of what I've played out of the game and the overall story wouldn't miss a beat and the characters could be just as motivated. For a game that wanted to focus on the story, it's by far the weakest thing here. This team should feel embarrassed for taking this long to put this kind of story out. As Himuro said, the overall concept of the story is pretty interesting, it's just horribly put together and presented.

I do like the battle system though.

I can't wait to finish this game and get back to Valkyria Chronicles.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
I hate NORA too, but that doesn't make gay jokes any less immature.
Gay jokes? If you mean 'gaiz,' I think he's just spelling 'guys' wrong on purpose.

Himuro's too GAF-savvy to make a gay joke.

grumble

Dresden said:
Gay jokes? If you mean 'gaiz,' I think he's just spelling 'guys' wrong on purpose.

Himuro's too GAF-savvy to make a gay joke.

I think he meant the 'penis munchers' thing. Might have been a reference to people worshipping the character to the point of sexual desire and not a rip on homosexuals.

Cep

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
You think Matsuno took a liking to his localization style? Since he had the most control when it came to the Ivalice games.

Also the co-owner of his localization company did WoTL.

He didn't have nearly as much control with X/X-2 as he did with the Ivalice games.

Absolutely.

If I am not mistaken, they actually know each other outside of work (or so an interview suggested) and Matsuno directly buzzed him for his stuff.

If there were any doubts, the fact that they teamed up for Madworld cements this.

Wife bought me a replacement 360 for my birthday today along with a copy of FF XIII. Spent the last two and a half hours playing and loved it. I was pretty sceptical that I'd enjoy it with all of the changes made to the formula, but I really do. Looks great, the story is interesting, like the datalog, like the characters. Like Snow's voice actor -- also did Yuri in ToV, I think.

The game really has that feeling of "I'll just play until the next save point."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amir0x said:
Pretty good write up, Himuro. Atm I'd give FFXIII a 4/10, with the caveat that its story is still better than FFVIII's by a country mile (also, Mass Effect 2 is the best looking console RPG this gen. Full stop. Way more consistent)

It's funny. Mass Effect 2 is the FF13 for Western RPG players. Here's the common list of problems people like me have with ME2:

-linear corridors
-shitty story
-uninteresting characters and side stories (9 out of 11 side stories involve shitty shooting levels... really BioWare?)
-cheaply designed levels (walls that come out of the floor? Did Gears 2 assets get included in the latest build of UE3?)
-bland UE3-inspired graphics
-uninspired interactivity that requires min-maxing for optimal play

And yet, as the first "traditional" JRPG I've played since Chrono Trigger (not counting SMT games because they're just wacky), I'm in love with FF13... much in the same way people who aren't invested in WRPGs love Mass Effect 2.

Maybe haters on both sides just need to play RPGs from the other side of the world. :lol

Dresden

ScrabbleDude said:
Wife bought me a replacement 360 for my birthday today along with a copy of FF XIII. Spent the last two and a half hours playing and loved it. I was pretty sceptical that I'd enjoy it with all of the changes made to the formula, but I really do. Looks great, the story is interesting, like the datalog, like the characters. Like Snow's voice actor -- also did Yuri in ToV, I think.

Also did Kanji in Persona 4, as well. The dude makes Snow tolerable (at least for me. Snow and I are bros. We're like, heroes, man).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ScrabbleDude said:

The funny thing is, most people said the same thing in the beginning. Not so much by the end.

nubbe

It feels like all the scenery in FFXIII has been taken from FFX.
FFX was also the last FF that impressed me visually.

Dresden said:
Also did Kanji in Persona 4, as well. The dude makes Snow tolerable (at least for me. Snow and I are bros. We're like, heroes, man).
Didn't play P4. Tried P3 and decided I'd prefer my SMT without a high school simulation. But yeah, really like his voice for Snow. With a different voice actor I might dislike the character, but as it is, I'm digging it.

Only character I really dislike so far -- out of the five I've seen -- is Hope. So far he's a pretty boring character.

Dresden

ScrabbleDude said:
Didn't play P4. Tried P3 and decided I'd prefer my SMT without a high school simulation. But yeah, really like his voice for Snow. With a different voice actor I might dislike the character, but as it is, I'm digging it.

Only character I really dislike so far -- out of the five I've seen -- is Hope. So far he's a pretty boring character.
People always said Hope gets better, but he always was the most annoying character to me, even to the very end. Stupid shota brat.

jiggle

nubbe said:
It feels like all the scenery in FFXIII has been taken from FFX.
FFX was also the last FF that impressed me visually.

FFX had Naora as art director that's why
he's awesome!

XIII had some really nice looking locations
but the bad ones are REALLY bad XD

firehawk12 said:
I think he's operating under the understanding that you believe eating penis is a bad thing?

There's a difference between oral sex and eating penis.

Protip: One involves severe physical pain.

firehawk12 said:
It's funny. Mass Effect 2 is the FF13 for Western RPG players. Here's the common list of problems people like me have with ME2:

-linear corridors
-shitty story
-uninteresting characters and side stories (9 out of 11 side stories involve shitty shooting levels... really BioWare?)
-cheaply designed levels (walls that come out of the floor? Did Gears 2 assets get included in the latest build of UE3?)
-bland UE3-inspired graphics
-uninspired interactivity that requires min-maxing for optimal play

And yet, as the first "traditional" JRPG I've played since Chrono Trigger (not counting SMT games because they're just wacky), I'm in love with FF13... much in the same way people who aren't invested in WRPGs love Mass Effect 2.

Maybe haters on both sides just need to play RPGs from the other side of the world. :lol

Seriously, I seem to be one of the few JRPG lovers in this thread that loves the game. It seems it isn't as polarizing for non-fans.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fimbulvetr said:
There's a difference between oral sex and eating penis.

Protip: One involves severe physical pain.

Ah, you mean literally eating someone's penis? Lovely. :lol

cosmicblizzard said:
Seriously, I seem to be one of the few JRPG lovers in this thread that loves the game. It seems it isn't as polarizing for non-fans.

I must admit, I contributed to the "ME2 is shit" pile-on in the ME2 threads, even though I'm sure there are people who love the fact that BioWare turned a great RPG into a shitty Gears of War clone (whoops, I'm doing it again). I think threads like these just bring out the haters for a few weeks after the game's release. :lol

Give it some time and I'll go back to helping people with Adamantortoise farming tips. :)

Zeliard

firehawk12 said:
I must admit, I contributed to the "ME2 is shit" pile-on in the ME2 threads, even though I'm sure there are people who love the fact that BioWare turned a great RPG into a shitty Gears of War clone (whoops, I'm doing it again).

Mass Effect 1 was a "great RPG"?

:lol

No wonder you love FF13.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Zeliard said:
Mass Effect 1 was a "great RPG"?

:lol

No wonder you love FF13.

Yep. It stole the best parts of the iconic WRPGs of all time - Star Control 2 and Fallout - and did something interesting with those mechanics. But let's not get into ME talk here. :lol

cosmicblizzard said:

I'm replaying some of the early chapters. Still enjoying the game. :D

The game goes so fast when you skip all these battles.

Zeliard

Though I do have to admit I'm finally, after many hours, getting to the point in Final Fantasy XIII where I can actually describe what I'm experiencing using the word "fun". The game does get fun when it gets there, but man.

And firehawk, you're a strange dude. I don't know if I want to know what's going on in your head. :D

Himuro said:
Oh, right. I forgot one note:

- The dialogue. It is terrible. "Mom's are tough!""Didn't you say you were gonna save her HERO?","Heroes don't die!"," Wishing and praying won't do anything, all I can do now is dream!","Ciao!". Ad infinitum.

And to think we had dialogue like this in the last game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLBGbUGryRE

This brings up something which has always bothered me. From the beginning of FFXII until the end, there are many, MANY times when the subtitles don't match the spoken dialogue. I get that they had a lot of dialogue to translate and localize, but FFXII had some serious problems with non-matching subtitles.

The other problem with FFXII was a lot of dialogue sounded very poorly recorded and compressed, like people were recording their lines into a tape recorder in a back room at Squenix USA's main building.

Squishy

Is anyone else really annoyed at the way Fang sits on the
chocobo
? I can't bear to ride for 10 seconds without getting frustrated and angry at the way she sits sideways. It annoys me so much I have to make someone else the party leader every time I use one.

Zeliard

Unknown Soldier said:
This brings up something which has always bothered me. From the beginning of FFXII until the end, there are many, MANY times when the subtitles don't match the spoken dialogue. I get that they had a lot of dialogue to translate and localize, but FFXII had some serious problems with non-matching subtitles.

The other problem with FFXII was a lot of dialogue sounded very poorly recorded and compressed, like people were recording their lines into a tape recorder in a back room at Squenix USA's main building.

Weird, wasn't FFXII particularly hailed for its localization?

(I'm asking, I don't know).

Dresden

Unknown Soldier said:

From what I hear, that's exactly what happened. The actors were herded into the rooms one by one, and they recorded their lines with no input from anyone else. So they basically spoke into a recorder and got out to be paid.

Narcosis

ZephyrFate said:
I dunno, I'm having tons of fun with FF13 as a game.

I am too and I recognize all it's faults. I just happen to believe the game is fast paced and fun enough for me to overlook some of the problems it has. I do wonder if the reaction I see to this game is widespread enough for Square or Kitase to re-evaluate any future FF games he might take the helm on or whether he'll take another one on at all. Of course, I don't see nearly the level of vitriol expressed towards him that Nomura gets, but that's another topic.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Unknown Soldier said:

That's because they compressed the hell out of the game to make it fit on a SINGLE layer DVD.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Awntawn said:
Both men and women can "eat penis" from a sexual standpoint.

See, I was operating under the misconception that "eating penis" is just another way to say "gay", but apparently it literally means eating a penis.

Also, what are we talking about again? :lol

Chris R

Himuro said:
And yet the voice acting is still fantastic.
Marquis Marquis Marquis

That shit pissed me off to no end. Didn't help that I quit playing after like 10 hours in, then restarted a few months later and had to deal with all that bullshit one more time :lol

Still haven't beaten FFXII but it is just like FFXIII in my opinion, aka a great game with a few flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom