• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dresden said:
You guys are crazy. Rise was clearly the best girl, followed by
Naoto

Nah, Rise is way too manipulative. She's the hottest alright.

So I'm in chapter 4 of the Void Quest dungeon. I'm loving the dungeon designs in that game. The dungeons are pretty much all the same, but at least they make an effort to diversify them visually.

Hey, you know, what if we got randomised dungeons on FFXIII? That would have been great, I think. They could still be linear as a straw, but at least they would have been more compelling.

Regulus Tera said:
Do you like JRPGs that give you freedom in how you tackle the story portions, the battling and character growth? Go finish Persona 4.

Do you like JRPGs that give you pretty visuals and a Hollywood-like experience? Play
Uncharted 2

I think I stopped playing Persona 3 because Mitsuru wasn't in it.

zoukka

Magnus said:
Organization_XIII.jpg

I stomp a kitten every time I see this.

Rpgmonkey

Doublethink said:
The Cid in 8 is the worst Cid ever.

Hey, VIII Cid had an awkward and inappropriate cheeriness about him that made him fun.

XIII Cid is one of my favorite Cid designs, but he doesn't really do anything. :(

Cep

Banned
Magnus said:
With proper gambit setup in Final Fantasy XII, none of these things happen. The player is granted true agency in prioritizing targets, abilities and turns. This agency is lost in Final Fantasy XIII, and the true crime is, its missing for absolutely no reason at all

Agreed especially with this.

Still fucking baffles me.

Dresden

Rpgmonkey said:
Hey, VIII Cid had an awkward and inappropriate cheeriness about him that made him fun.

XIII Cid is one of my favorite Cid designs, but he doesn't really do anything. :(
I have to disagree with you, Cid in XIII looks like a total douchebag. It's like the worst combination of effeminacy and dumb emo haircuts.

Rpgmonkey

Dresden said:
I have to disagree with you, Cid in XIII looks like a total douchebag. It's like the worst combination of effeminacy and dumb emo haircuts.

The haircut's pretty "eh", but I like his general design. Thought it helped to give him a bit more of an aura of authority, I can look at him and tell he's pretty high-ranking among everyone else in Cocoon, which I considered to be a good thing since Jihl or Rosch didn't give me that feeling at all.

Any Cid earns a few points for their design if they're not in a banana suit though.

Edit: I just image searched "Final Fantasy VI Cid" and saw a picture of him being compared to a condom. :lol

Dresden said:
Replace Cid with Hope and I'd agree. Shit, Yaag or whatever his name was had a weirder haircut than Cid. And Rygdea and Jihl handily outclass everyone else in the hair department anyway.

Magnus

I got a weird joy out of letting the camera chill on Lightning (my leader) standing with allies in the middle of the Archlyte Steppe. The wind blows through her hair, she stands all proud and amazon-like, she's fucking gorgeous for a video game character, and the majesty of the Pride Lan...Pulsian landscape, coupled with a pretty amazing audio track just takes over.

It might have been one of the only beautiful moments in XIII for me. I could list so many others for the other eight FF games I've played.

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Dude, this is the FF13 hate thread, not the P4 hate thread.

See, this is the sort of close-mindedness that I cannot stand.

Just because we are hating on FF13 does not mean that we are too busy to hate on other games.

Plenty of hate to go around.

Hell, I will give it a go: I find Strange Journey to be sort of boring.

Now installing my patched up FFXII International Zodiac Job System to my PS2's hard drive! Next stop, Zodiac Job System!

Any help on what jobs to pick for which party members would be appreciated. :lol

Arjen

So i just started Chapter 13, and i can go back to
gran pulse
Is possible to finish the game or do i really need to level up my party first?
Haven't had any big problems with bosses so far btw.

Dresden

Ballistictiger said:
FF7 had one of the best Cid ever since we are talking about Cid.
Tactics had the best Cid ever. Thunder God Cid. So broken he broke the game. If you wanted even a semblance of challenge you didn't use him. And he was a badass old man, to boot, and his son got burned alive! ;_;

Ramza totally stole his sword the moment he joined the party, though. Excalibur+Ultima wasn't exactly optimal, but it was fun.

Awntawn

Arjen said:
gran pulse
I'd recommend maxing out the level 4's, don't really have to bother with the side roles, assuming you have a good combination that works for you. Some accessories that could help a lot also, like Dash Shoes. Chapter 13's not impossible hard, but it's not a walk in the park, even with maxed Crystallium lv 9 and with a couple of ultimate weapons. I imagine it would be very challenging to just jump into it, especially if you had any problem whatsoever with the chapter 12 boss.

Cep said:

Just because we are hating on FF13 does not mean that we are too busy to hate on other games.

HEATHEN!

Still need to play it.

Magnus

Regarding Jihl:

I wanted to fucking punk that bitch myself.

And regarding Rygdea:

Where was the awesome moment where he joined you (in vehicle or not) to wreak some havoc guest-style on a boss fight? Game was begging for him to play a part in one of your encounters.

Both failed opportunities.

It's amazing how criticisms of XIII make me greatly appreciate what previous entries did right. Loved XII's guest characters. I have yet to get to the point where one joins you in XII International, but having them totally controllable should be a boon too.

edit-

For the record, VI's Cid holds a soft spot in my gamer's soul, since VI was my first FF and my first RPG, but I think my favorite is easily VII's. That was a Cid.

Pappasman

Arjen said:
gran pulse

If you want to go for the superstar trophy/achievement you should probably max out your party's three best roles.

Speaking of Jihl:

I had no clue she died in that scene. It was hours after when I checked the datalog, read that entry and found out she died:lol

Cep

Banned
Doublethink said:
Speaking of Jihl:

I had no clue she died in that scene. It was hours after when I checked the datalog, read that entry and found out she died:lol

:lol

I would have missed it too had I not spoiled myself months earlier.

Shadow780

Doublethink said:
Speaking of Jihl:

exactly.

what a waste of beautifully polished polygons

Magnus

Doublethink said:
Speaking of Jihl:

Fuck, same here :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Magnus said:
I got a weird joy out of letting the camera chill on Lightning (my leader) standing with allies in the middle of the Archlyte Steppe. The wind blows through her hair, she stands all proud and amazon-like, she's fucking gorgeous for a video game character, and the majesty of the Pride Lan...Pulsian landscape, coupled with a pretty amazing audio track just takes over.

It might have been one of the only beautiful moments in XIII for me. I could list so many others for the other eight FF games I've played.
The whole game was like that for me. I was intoxicated by moments when the visuals, the character animations and the music came together, from early on in the game. Staring at the art was pretty much "the gameplay" for the 25 hour intro tube. If there's one thing the game succeeds in, IMO, its the shiny surface detail.

Awntawn

Magnus said:
It's amazing how criticisms of XIII make me greatly appreciate what previous entries did right. Loved XII's guest characters. I have yet to get to the point where one joins you in XII International, but having them totally controllable should be a boon too.
I agree with this especially. Previous FFs have always had memorable setpieces, such as the Garden fight in VIII, the Nibelheilm segment in VII. XIII simply has no such impactful moments that stood out throughout the entire game. Every dramatic situation was a poorly executed cliche.

The CODE MAGENTA, CODE PUCE scene was amazing, second funniest thing in this game after Worst. Birthday. Ever.

Cep said:

You don't like Pokemon in Antarctica with demons instead of Pikachu and overt religious themes in place of teh animu? For shame!

Cep said:
We agree on all of the important stuff.

Himuro said:
That was sooo retarded.

CODE BLUE

CODE RED

CODE GREEN

CODE PURPLE

CODE YELLOW

No, desperate times require desperate actions. CODE WHITE!!!!

And I was just sitting there rolling on my bed in laughter.
Oh man I completely forgot about that part. That was the second worst moment in the game, second only to "Moms are tough."

Rpgmonkey

Himuro said:
That was sooo retarded.

CODE BLUE

CODE RED

CODE GREEN

CODE PURPLE

CODE YELLOW

That scene was great because I had no idea if I was supposed to take it seriously or laugh. :lol

He got one of the best lines in the game.

Dresden said:
Tactics had the best Cid ever. Thunder God Cid. So broken he broke the game. If you wanted even a semblance of challenge you didn't use him. And he was a badass old man, to boot, and his son got burned alive! ;_;

Ramza totally stole his sword the moment he joined the party, though. Excalibur+Ultima wasn't exactly optimal, but it was fun.
There is a reason why he was called "Thunder God Cid" :D

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
cosmicblizzard said:
Dude, this is the FF13 hate thread, not the P4 hate thread.
I didn't say I hated it, I just said the first dungeon was ugly, and left me with zero motivation to go on.

Oh, FUCK. I forgot you need to patch all versions of FFXII to work with the HD Loader. Now I have to pull the hard drive out of my PS2 again and open my PC again. Augh!

Cep

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Oh, FUCK. I forgot you need to patch all versions of FFXII to work with the HD Loader. Now I have to pull the hard drive out of my PS2 again and open my PC again. Augh!

Get the USB kit son!

While i had alot of fun playing the game and dont regret my purchase at all, i agree on nearly all counts magnus. It was a fantastic post and a fun read.

I just arrived at chapter 11 and I'm getting kinda blahed on the game.....how many missions do I need to do before I'd be safe to move on..... without screwing myself over later by being too weak due to skipping too much?

Rpgmonkey said:
That scene was great because I had no idea if I was supposed to take it seriously or laugh. :lol

He got one of the best lines in the game.
Me neither, which almost makes that scene even funnier. OTOH "moms are tough" just kind of made me cringe because I know that they were 100% serious with it.

Vect said:
Jihl
got killed by a ruin spell... :/
WHAT AN AWESOME WAY
to die!
Well, at least we know she would've made for a lame boss fight. Although, given the bosses in this game, she probably would have turned into a robot first, or a robot that turns into a jet, or something else equally dumb and metallic.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
I just arrived at chapter 11 and I'm getting kinda blahed on the game.....how many missions do I need to do before I'd be safe to move on..... without screwing myself over later by being too weak due to skipping too much?

Finish the early missions in the big area, then most of the missions in the canyon you first reach pulse in. No real need to go past 20

burgerdog

Himuro said:
That was sooo retarded.

CODE BLUE

CODE RED

CODE GREEN

CODE PURPLE

CODE YELLOW

HOLY SHIT, how did I forget about this? hahahaha.

MrDenny

I hate how they handled all the side characters; Team Nora, Rygdea, Cid, Jihl, Yaag.
It seems like the team got lazy on their character development, and just incorporated them in the game just because they had to.
-Team Nora shows up out of nowhere in chapter 12/13 and then just leave, "Oh, btw we're alive. Ok we'll be going now." Lame.
-Rygdea, iono he just seem to be there. Didn't even make an appearance at the end of the game after they hyped his takeover so much.
-Cid is fail. Poor character development. Dysley revives him, then 10 mins later he's dead because he tells rygdea to shoot him. Seriously?
-I didn't even know Jihl died, thought she was just injured. Had to read the datalog to learn about her death. Wasted potential.
-Yaag probably the most developed of the side characters, but still poor character development. "You l'cie must die" fast forward "I guess I was wrong all along"
Overall, I'm really disappointed how they handle the side characters.
Seemed so half-assed.

Styles

MrDenny said:
I hate how they handled all the side characters; Team Nora, Rygdea, Cid, Jihl, Yaag.
It seems like the team got lazy on their character development, and just incorporated them in the game just because they had to.
-Team Nora shows up out of nowhere in chapter 12/13 and then just leave, "Oh, btw we're alive. Ok we'll be going now." Lame.
-Rygdea, iono he just seem to be there. Didn't even make an appearance at the end of the game after they hyped his takeover so much.
-Cid is fail. Poor character development. Dysley revives him, then 10 mins later he's dead because he tells rygdea to shoot him. Seriously?
-I didn't even know Jihl died, thought she was just injured. Had to read the datalog to learn about her death. Wasted potential.
-Yaag probably the most developed of the side characters, but still poor character development. "You l'cie must die" fast forward "I guess I was wrong all along"
Overall, I'm really disappointed how they handle the side characters.
Seemed so half-assed.

Some of them had the potential to be great side characters, not to mention the main villain was so bland... if he's even considered one. Oh, Square.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom