• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

warheat

Just saw this on community hub, what the hell hahaha.

ZwtloTD.png

Playing this game again made me realize how they butchered the battle system in FFXIII-2. At least in this game, Synergist and Sabatour are actually useful.

How can Lightning jump around with those chicken legs?

Why does Lebreau have a shirt under her bra?

How is that woman a mom with an adolescent child when she looks barely older if not the same age as Snow?

How did Lightning's finger electric jump thing break and then work later on?

Am I ever going to get off this highway where I'm fighting Sonic the Hedgehog robots?
Answer to all: Japan. Plus, everyone looks young. My 70 years old professor looks 40, my calligraphy professor looks 20 and she's 40.

Also, yeah, the clothing is something that doesn't make sense. Look at Lightning, it's not just the chicken legs: she walks around with the sword dangling and hanging below her butt and hitting the legs instead of carrying it on her back. I mean, what the hell, how does she even run with such obnoxious thing hanging behind like a piece of poo...

Anyway, if I try to explain half of the things I'm reading and witnessing my mind would go boom so I just suspend disbelief and keep playing. It helps with the japanese voices because most answers are, like I said, Japan.

Knurek

Damn, Vanille's Japan VA is well worth the additional 20 GB download.
The American (Australian IIRC) one was ear grating, the original one is pure sex in voice form.

xBladeM6x

In all seriousness, what do you think the chances are that they apply a patch to this game? I get a feeling they're not going to patch / not going to even respond. Lol

Grief.exe

In all seriousness, what do you think the chances are that they apply a patch to this game? I get a feeling they're not going to patch / not going to even respond. Lol

Square put up a Beta Branch as soon as the game released, so they are likely working on something. I will keep my eye on the updates and let people know.

Nethaniah

The only fix i'm waiting for is the one that stops the framerate drops, i am not gonna lower it to 30 to avoid drops.

Resolution options by Square themselves would be nice but not totally required.

Gbraga

I don't even think they'll patch the next games. We'll probably need to light the Durante signal again.

Grief.exe

What were the really good roles to develop again?

I believe Sab was considered to be the best, that is why people use Vanille and Fang so much. Best way to develop Light? Currently just branching down both COM and RAV roles.

Gbraga

It's sad to see such an astronomically bad port job here when A Realm Reborn is pretty solid on PC. ):

A Realm Reborn is fantastic, my mind was blown away when I saw they had PS3 and PS4 button layouts for you to choose.

I guess there's still hope for FFXV being pretty good (if it ever comes out on PC).

Tizoc

I believe Sab was considered to be the best, that is why people use Vanille and Fang so much. Best way to develop Light? Currently just branching down both COM and RAV roles.

SYN is really useful too, mainly thatnks to the Haste spell. Haste makes fights finish faster.

LuuKyK

I find it funny that so many people are fooled by Vanille's cutesy behavior. Thats probably why I think her character development and writing is one of the best in the game.

Light is good all around so COM, RAV and MED are all very decent roles for her.

Vanille is the best SAB in the game + she is the only one who has the Death ability. She is also a very good MED/RAV though.

Sazh is the best SYN mainly because he is the only who has the Haste ability. He sucks as a COM though, be aware of that.

Hope is the best MED and a very good buffer (SYN, SAB) and RAV too.

Fang is the best COM but can also play the SEN role very well.

Snow is the best SEN but is also good as a COM.

Gbraga

Vanille is the best SAB in the game + she is the only one who has the Death ability. She is also a very good MED/RAV though.

Sazh is the best SYN mainly because he is the only who has the Haste ability. He sucks as a COM though, be aware of that.

Hope definitely has Haste too, IIRC Sazh just gets it earlier.

Nevadatan

Square put up a Beta Branch as soon as the game released, so they are likely working on something. I will keep my eye on the updates and let people know.

so they fucked up and put all of us on the beta instead of the final build? Believe.

wasnt that the SteamVR beta that was in there since the preload?

xBladeM6x

so they fucked up and put all of us on the beta instead of the final build? Believe.

I remember reading that you can disable all HID devices in Devices -> Human Interface Devices would do the trick if all else failed. Though it's likely not a good idea. Locking the FPS to 30 seemed to get rid of most of the stuttering for me.

Nevadatan

I remember reading that you can disable all HID devices in Devices -> Human Interface Devices would do the trick if all else failed. Though it's likely not a good idea. Locking the FPS to 30 seemed to get rid of most of the stuttering for me.

uh? i believe you quoted the wrong member.

Mendrox

With the power of the pc and durante you can also finally see her panties properly.

I have my Doujins for that though... but I would love to listen to her moaning again when she does her summon special attack. <3 Sure sounds like the japanese seiyuu had fun doing that.

Grief.exe

No it means they are working on a beta branch for the game, we are currently using the build pushed to /public. The SteamVR beta was deleted on release.

Nevadatan

No it means they are working on a beta branch for the game, we are currently using the build pushed to /public. The SteamVR beta was deleted on release.

i want to believe they are working on the issues the release build has. like inconsistent framerate and the res lock.

garath

i want to believe they are working on the issues the release build has. like inconsistent framerate and the res lock.

Believe.

Frame rate and tearing are a hot mess. I'm not holding my breath though. Gonna just struggle through it because I'm enjoying the game.

HTupolev

Not gonna lie, Vanille's character model in this game is especially well-rendered
The character models always looked absurdly good for things that are in the ballpark of only 8K polys. Obviously there was compromise, the hands being an obvious iffy spot, but overall they look great.

The high-frequency texture detailing is sublime. Looks great at 720p, and still doesn't let down these crazy downsampled shots.

Dr Dogg

I think I might be going a bit crazy but I've got 37 individual saves now, 1 for every save point I've seen so far. Hey they might come in handy latter.

I never really had a problem running out of CP before the next tier on the Crysarium unocked for each and every character. I would be able to get the abilities the moment they unlocked of there abouts and then aim to get the health, strength or magic upgrade for each character that needed them (though there's never enough HP for Hopeless as he always cops it early for me unless I'm on top of healing). It's only later on when the costs start becoming a bit out of reach but by that time there are plenty of opportunities for grind CP out without it being a chore.

Nevadatan

Believe.

Frame rate and tearing are a hot mess. I'm not holding my breath though. Gonna just struggle through it because I'm enjoying the game.

i would love mod support... as they replaced the traditional fanfare.

as for me im also enjoying the game for the most part. im just a little confused by the characters age. buts its nomura after all so its not surprising at all.

Tizoc

Ah I just remembered something:
Vanille's death does more damage when you do a paradigm shift when casting it:
As soon as she casts it, Shift her to a COM role and Death will do more damage.
Hope definitely has Haste too, IIRC Sazh just gets it earlier.

Yes Hope gets Haste but Sazh gets it earlier. Both as SYN will buff up your team real fast.

garath

When does this game open up? I'm a couple hours in? So far its nothing but auto battles and no levels?

I hate RPGs that essentially do nothing gameplay wise for hours and hours.

impact

Banned
When does this game open up? I'm a couple hours in? So far its nothing but auto battles and no levels?

20 hours in. It wasn't a joke people said because they don't like the game, it's actually true.

HTupolev

The battle system more or less begins to exist at the start of Chapter 3. You get full party control during Chapter
, and there's an "open" area in Chapter
, but I personally can't understand how those things would suddenly make the game good if you weren't already enjoying the combat.

...Also, IMO the game is a lot more fun if you don't start autobattling until it gets hectic enough that you have to. Even before the Crystarium shows up, taking the effort to place AoEs and using the cancel button to time battle conclusions gives you something to do.

thematic

The battle system more or less begins to exist at the start of Chapter 3. You get full party control during Chapter 9, and there's an "open" area in Chapter 11, but honestly, I can't understand how those things would suddenly make the game good if you weren't already enjoying the combat.

...Also, IMO the game is a lot more fun if you don't start autobattling until it gets hectic enough that you have to. Even before the Crystarium shows up, taking the effort to place AoEs and using the cancel button to time battle conclusions gives you something to do.

this is my 2nd play through (1st one on PS3)

i'm doing auto battle and actually like the battle system :)
although they capped us every chapter, the paradigm shift really adds depth to the battle. especially on boss battle.

so we're not just randomly attacking monsters like every other games

the story is not as bad as I remember, maybe because I already know the overall story and playing it 2nd time can help understand each chapter more clearly than 1st time.

Grief.exe

This guys was freaking difficult, but I figured him out. Started with Hope switching between SYN/Medic roles to keep us alive in the start of the fight, then built up attacks while his shield was down.

Once you get through him, the next portion is a screenshot paradise, will have more coming.

Wilsongt

Started Chapter 8 last night. After having not played the game in over a year it takes a bit to get back into the feel of it. Also, while Vanille/Sazh's persons of the game are good, they make a terrible gameplay pair.

Also, dat clutch 1 second left on the doom counter to enter gestalt mode in an Eidolon battle

Robin64

Anyone doing a No Crystarium run? I started it on PS3, wasn't too bad for a while, but then I just stopped. Other games came along. PC seems like a good time to try again, can even edit in a load of shrouds instead of grinding them. (That's not the hard part, after all)

Adaren

Anyone doing a No Crystarium run? I started it on PS3, wasn't too bad for a while, but then I just stopped. Other games came along. PC seems like a good time to try again, can even edit in a load of shrouds instead of grinding them. (That's not the hard part, after all)

I'm about to start one, actually! Booting the game up for the first time in a few minutes.

I got most of the way through one on my friend's PS3 before he graduated, but never *quite* got to the end. Really looking forward to it on PC. The boss fights for a NCU run require flawless execution, and it's incredibly satisfying when you pull it off.

Auto-battle is a choice. If you aren't enjoying it, I recommend you don't use it. You'll have more fun and perform better.

The first post highlights some of the "advanced" techniques (notably ATB Refresh) that really make the battle system shine.

Top Bottom