• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Snow x Serah, has to be one of the worst written relationships ever on a game, NoelxSerah, shoul have happened in XIII-2, there's like 100x more chemistry between them.

Shahadan

I'm still only at the garbage mountains but so far I don't know what's the deal with the Hope hate, except from the usual dumb jrpg trope of "I could have said something 25 times but the plot doesn't require it yet".

Snow is far more annoying. Who uses "hero" in all their sentences, wtf.

patapuf

I'm still only at the garbage mountains but so far I don't know what's the deal with the Hope hate, except from the usual dumb jrpg trope of "I could have said something 25 times but the plot doesn't require it yet".

People don't dislike Hope because he keeps a "secret".

People dislike Hope because he comes across as a whiny kid. His grudge towards snow is also very poorly developped and as such i was unable to take it (or Hope) seriously.

Snow thinks being a hero is being an idiot and shouting cheesy one liners, then goes to play war and kills a bunch of civilians in the process, because there's nothing more smarter than take untrained civilians to the frontlines, including Hope's mother.

Hope's wants to tell him how much of an stupid asshole he is, but he dosn't find the words/valor to do so, because he's a spinless kid who just lost his mother and is in shock. Is quite easy.

Don't worry, the while storyline becomes even more stupid later on.

People dislike Hope because he comes across as a whiny kid. His grudge towards snow is also very poorly developped and as such i was unable to take it (or Hope) seriously.

He's a kid who lost his mother, thanks to the reckless actions of a so named hero. Of course he's pissed with the world...

Cerity

Hey, according to the datalog the reason Hope can't say anything to Snow is because he's seething with anger, frustration and the want for revenge!

Braag

I'm at the same location and so far I've noticed that: Lightning has an attitude problem, gets mad easily and starts swinging her fists or blaming people. Snow has hero syndrome, always going on about being a hero and saving everyone. Vanille is either brain damaged or has an IQ of a potato. Hope is an annoying little brat who gets all angsty cause his mother died and blames Snow for it even though it was not his fault.
Sazh seems to be the only rational person in the game so far.

Shahadan

No, I know people dislike Hope for that reason, but I just don't think he's that whiny for now. Maybe it's worse later.
But considering the kid saw his tough mother die in front of him and is being hunted and stuck with a shitty group that don't pay attention to him he's doing pretty well.
Actually in the shitlol prologue where nothing made sense as far as characters behavior go, I thought Hope was the only believable one. His reaction after his mother's death and his outburst at the idiotic Snow logic were the only moments so far where I thought someone actually made sense in this group of dumb robots.

How is not Snow fault?

He's taking civilians to the frontlines without a proper plan against a way more prepared army, the guy is playing the hero and Che Guevara and instead he ends getting killed everyone.

Those people lives were his responsibility and he failed hard. Not even to talk about the stupid manuver he tried to pull, forcing Hope's mother to save him and die in the process.

Shahadan

Hey, according to the datalog the reason Hope can't say anything to Snow is because he's seething with anger, frustration and the want for revenge!

That's also really amusing to me :lol:
It's like the datalog and the game were written by two different teams who never talked to each other.

Braag

How is not Snow fault?

He's taking civilians to the frontlines without a proper plan against a way more prepared army, the guy is playing the hero and Che Guevara and instead he ends getting killed everyone.

Those people lives were his responsibility and he failed hard. Not even to talk about the stupid manuver he tried to pull, forcing Hope's mother to save him and die in the process.

Well if you look at it that way. But Snow never forced Hope's mom to fight with them. She just picked up an assault rifle and went on about moms being tough.

studyguy

How is not Snow fault?

Hope's angst is silly. The group was up against the wall. It was fight or die and his mother fought. The fact that she died has little to do with Snow, hell... had it not been for them interfering, they'd be dead anyway. Mom just wasn't tough enough.

Sure I can understand the misplaced anger but god damn he seems to take forever to even say anything.

Shahadan

Hope's angst is silly. The group was up against the wall. It was fight or die and his mother fought. The fact that she died has little to do with Snow, hell... had it not been for them interfering, they'd be dead anyway. Mom just wasn't tough enough.

But he doesn't know that. And let's be honest, if you're 14 or something and your mother is killed because an idiot was in charge, you'd be angry and blame the idiot regardless of the facts you'd maybe realize from an outside viewpoint.

studyguy

But he doesn't know that. And let's be honest, if you're 14 or something and your mother is killed because an idiot was in charge, you'd be angry and blame the idiot regardless of the facts you'd maybe realize from an outside viewpoint.

They were just shooting dudes not 10 feet away from civilians, you have the military going wild all over the place. I'd be hard pressed to believe he wasn't aware of the danger. I get the idea of anger misplaced on Snow but frankly the opening sequence is all over the place.

ryan0991

Banned
Snow thinks being a hero is being an idiot and shouting cheesy one liners, then goes to play war and kills a bunch of civilians in the process, because there's nothing more smarter than take untrained civilians to the frontlines, including Hope's mother.

Hope's wants to tell him how much of an stupid asshole he is, but he dosn't find the words/valor to do so, because he's a spinless kid who just lost his mother and is in shock. Is quite easy.

Don't worry, the while storyline becomes even more stupid later on.

He's a kid who lost his mother, thanks to the reckless actions of a so named hero. Of course he's pissed with the world...
This is the narrative the game tries to sell you, but it's simply not what happens. The people in that crowd volunteered. And those people were going to be purged anyway. Hope's mom chose to fight (and then got killed because she was too busy delivering a one liner). Snow was not to blame for Nora's death... at all. Snow is shown to be absolutely devastated by what happened. His only crime is that he jokes around a little too much. He's easily the nicest guy in the entire game. The more play-throughs I did, the more I became sympathetic to Snow and the more I hated Hope.

I went over this more in an earlier post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=133906289&postcount=4772

patapuf

In concept, i agree.

But "moms are tough" didn't become a meme for nothing. Hope's emotional trauma is also conveyed very poorly through the story. As I mentioned above, the lack of development (especially when his mother died) aside from "i hate snow" meant that i couldn't take his plight seriously..

Also, as much as i dislike Snow, his "recklessness" was being stuck fighting on rails, defending people that were going to be"purged", and not having enough men to fight back the attackers. So the people that were doomed anyway, volunteered.

Shahadan

They were just shooting dudes not 10 feet away from civilians, you have the military going wild all over the place. I'd be hard pressed to believe he wasn't aware of the danger. I get the idea of anger misplaced on Snow but frankly the opening sequence is all over the place.

Yeah sure, but his mom died because she had to save Snow because he was being dumb. But tbh a mom leaving her son to follow a dumb teenager into a deathtrap doesn't really make sense.

(Also I probably wouldn't follow people giving guns to kids like "here's a gun, put your finger on the trigger while aiming at head level in this crowded group of allies. Look it's so shiny! :D")

ryan0991

Banned
Being angry at him and blaming him is one thing. Developing a lust for revenge and nearly murdering him in cold blood is quite another. The first former is understandable. The later is insane.

Maybe if Hope could just open his mouth, then Snow would have known to pick his words more carefully. Instead, Hope seemingly intentionally baits Snow into saying all the wrong things. Snow has a breakdown in which his confident exterior comes down. You'd think that this would make Hope back down, but nope... he just wants to kill him even more. He he totally would have succeeded if it weren't for that explosion. Snow really didn't do anything wrong. Hope did pretty much everything wrong. And Lightning enabled him.

Yeah sure, but his mom died because she had to save Snow because he was being dumb. But tbh a mom leaving her son to follow a dumb teenager into a deathtrap doesn't really make sense.
She didn't have to defend Snow.

Shahadan

This is the narrative the game tries to sell you, but it's simply not what happens. The people in that crowd volunteered. And those people were going to be purged anyway. Hope's mom chose to fight (and then got killed because she was too busy delivering a one liner). Snow was not to blame for Nora's death... at all. Snow is shown to be absolutely devastated by what happened. His only crime is that he jokes around a little too much. He's easily the nicest guy in the entire game. The more play-throughs I did, the more I became sympathetic to Snow and the more I hated Hope.

I went over this more in an earlier post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=133906289&postcount=4772

But the fact that people had no choice and volunteered is not what matters in this case. Also Snow is indeed being shown devastated but only to the players'eyes. When he comes back with the others he's just "well haha we rule, now time to save my future underaged wife!". From Hope's point of view Snow is largely unaffected and is thinking more about his problems than anything.

Also at lake bresha the "don't worry kid we'll meet again haha you're so cute :D" he spouts to Hope was cringeworthy. I would have punched him myself. I know he's not aware who Hope's mother is, but still.

studyguy

(Also I probably wouldn't follow people giving guns to kids like "here's a gun, put your finger on the trigger while aiming at head level in this crowded group of allies. Look it's so shiny! :D")

Given the circumstances I don't think they had much of a choice really. The same line of thought has been illustrated above in much better terms than I care to type out on this phone. Frankly had Snow interacted with Hope and promised to keep his mother safe or something to that effect, the the whole plot line would have seemed to have flowed much better in my opinion. Anyway it is what it is, just gonna enjoy throwing him to the curb when I get a chance.

Shahadan

Being angry at him and blaming him is one thing. Developing a lust for revenge and nearly murdering him in cold blood is quite another. The first former is understandable. The later is insane.

Maybe if Hope could just open his mouth, then Snow would have known to pick his words more carefully. Instead, Hope seemingly intentionally baits Snow into saying all the wrong things. Snow has a breakdown in which his confident exterior comes down. You'd think that this would make Hope back down, but nope... he just wants to kill him even more. He he totally would have succeeded if it weren't for that explosion. Snow really didn't do anything wrong. Hope did pretty much everything wrong. And Lightning enabled him.

She didn't have to defend Snow.

I'm not at this part of the story yet, maybe my opinion will change. But so far it's kinda a Skyler White situation to me.

Frankly had Snow interacted with Hope and promised to keep his mother safe or something to that effect, the the whole plot line would have seemed to have flowed much better in my opinion. Anyway it is what it is, just gonna enjoy throwing him to the curb when I get a chance.

Ha but I completely agree with that. It's badly done and a few small things could have fixed it or made it way better.

ryan0991

Banned
But the fact that people had no choice and volunteered is not what matters in this case. Also Snow is indeed being shown devastated but only to the players'eyes. When he comes back with the others he's just "well haha we rule, now time to save my future underaged wife!". From Hope's point of view Snow is largely unaffected and is thinking more about his problems than anything.

Also at lake bresha the "don't worry kid we'll meet again haha you're so cute :D" he spouts to Hope was cringeworthy. I would have punched him myself. I know he's not aware who Hope's mother is, but still.
He was visibly devastated enough that Godot noticed more than once. And why would he act devastated around anyone else? As far as he was aware, no one else saw what happened. It's not Snow's fault that Hope jumped to conclusions and let his rage control him.

Hope knew exactly what happened, but he still let the situation spiral out of control. Yes, Snow says some dumb things, but a lot of those could have been prevented if Hope just spoke up. And as I said, towards the end it seemed like Hope was baiting Snow into saying dumb things. If Snow's worst crime is that he said some dumb things, that I'd say he's doing pretty well. Hope's worst crime is that he almost murdered a man in cold blood.

And Serah is not underage. Why do people keep saying that? And he wasn't the only one who cared about her.

Shahadan

He was visibly devastated enough that Godot noticed more than once. And why would he act devastated around anyone else? As far as he was aware, no one else saw what happened. It's not Snow's fault that Hope jumped to conclusions and let his rage control him.

Hope knew exactly what happened, but he still let the situation spiral out of control. Yes, Snow says some dumb things, but a lot of those could have been prevented if Hope just spoke up..

But I agree! The game tries to sell us a misunderstanding that could have been prevented by two sentences if we weren't in a shitty jrpg and it sucks balls.
I'm just saying that in that dumb context so far appearances are against Snow from Hope's point of view, who is not thinking rationally at this point anyways. I mean it's the point of this dumb plotline.

I mean we probably all have seen many characters in various media hating someone because their loved ones died saving said person, but it's usually resolved quickly and here it's spanning hours and hours so it's probably more annoying than it should be.

But yes, in the end Hope is dumb and wrong.

JINYX

Neo Member
And Serah is not underage. Why do people keep saying that? And he wasn't the only one who cared about her.

Because she looks like she's 12?

On the subject of Hope he really does have a weird angst about him in regards to Snow, I mean he saw his mother volunteer. In fact iirc, Snow tried to stop her a bit then just gave up after the whole moms are tough thing.

However I am sorta enjoying seeing the character development between him and Lightning.

ryan0991

Banned

On the subject of Hope he really does have a weird angst about him in regards to Snow, I mean he saw his mother volunteer. In fact iirc, Snow tried to stop her a bit then just gave up after the whole moms are tough thing.

However I am sorta enjoying seeing the character development between him and Lightning.
I've never seen a twelve year old with... "assets" like that.

aravuus

The story is simple, but there's absolutely no hook for the audience. Which is what makes people assume that they must have missed something, because there's no clear goal for 80% of the game. The party will turn into statues if they complete their focus, turn into monsters if they fail, but it doesn't matter since know what their focus is. Maybe it will involve saving Cocoon, maybe they'll have to blow up a part of Cocoon. That might be a big deal, if we had a reason to care about Cocoon. So they keep running forward and...maybe something good will happen?

There's no stakes.

Couldn't have put it better myself

I don't actually agree it being a usual JRPG trope cause I rarely see it in JRPGs but holy fuck do I hate it. Conflict because some stupid fucking character refuses to do the only sensible thing and talk things out is incredibly infuriating

Sazh seems to be the only rational person in the game so far.

And the only good character tbh

When's the last time you've seen a 12-year old in real life? She looks 17 or 18 at least.

Lanrutcon

Is there a guide somewhere as to how to get this to work at 60 fps? Installed Durante's tool, but I'm only getting 30 to 40 frames with rare jumps to 60. My gpu utilisation is 30% :/

Lightning and Sazh are cool. Vanille I can just accept as that cliche overly cutesy anime airhead, and Snow's a reckless, foolish, cocky but ultimately well intentioned steroid enthusiast.

Hope I wish I could delete from the game. I'm only a handful of hours in, but he's already an irritating presence and it sounds like he gets a whole lot worse later on.

Shahadan

Vanille's secret (well at least one of them I suppose) is so painfully obvious, why don't the others notice anything or at least ask questions T_T

CentroXer

Banned

hope is a whiny kid in this game.

That's also really amusing to me :lol:
It's like the datalog and the game were written by two different teams who never talked to each other.

It's funny, because yesterday, when I played the game and read the datalog, I was seriously thinking if the datalog is available as a book, because I'd much rather read that than play the game (because everyone's still an idiot).

Is there a guide somewhere as to how to get this to work at 60 fps? Installed Durante's tool, but I'm only getting 30 to 40 frames with rare jumps to 60. My gpu utilisation is 30% :/

Check CPU utilization, I've got a theory it's just doing a lot of stuff in Software due to it's console origins..

8K (7680x4320) downsampled to 1920x1080 - 4xMSAA

Looks stunning, thank you, Durante

ffxiiiimg2014-10-1213f8xcz.jpg

ffxiiiimg2014-10-121347lfb.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I mean we probably all have seen many characters in various media hating someone because their loved ones died saving said person, but it's usually resolved quickly and here it's spanning hours and hours so it's probably more annoying than it should be.
I don't give a single fuck about whatever is between Hope and Snow. The thing I can't stand about the dumbshit is that everyone else can realize they are in a situation that cannot be changed and then decide to make the best of it by the only means possible: Trying to discover how.

Meanwhile, this little shit seems like he'd be content to crawl in a hole and die crying to himself if it weren't for the others dragging his little bitch ass along. WHO CARES how things ended up how they did if it changes nothing about how to deal with it. In being completely incapable of looking at reality beyond his own survival and personal offense, he grants no dignity or respect to others and thus provides no reason to give a shit about his own. So I don't. I want him to just fuck off like he seems to so desperately want to and would have if Vanille hadn't made a simp out of him.

Cerity

I don't know about further into the game, but in going through Gapra Whitewood, Lightining seems to give him some backbone and make him slightly more tolerable.

Hopefully that doesn't get thrown out the window.

Getting mad Xenoblade vibes from this area (or should that be the other way around?)

Gbraga

Guys, wondering if I should dig in considering my aging gear : Q6600 (quad core 2 duo) / 4 GB DDR2 / 560 Ti 1gb / no SSD.

Any luck to have it run decently, let alone with GeDoSaTo ? :/

I think you'll be fine. At the same time that even high end rigs from today are suffering frame drops, even people with 560ti are running it at 4K. This game is mad inconsistent in its performance. Maybe you'll have to play at a lower resolution than 3840x2160 because of your CPU, but you'll probably be fine.

I'm no expert though, so maybe you should wait for someone else's opinion before jumping in.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I think you'll be fine. At the same time that even high end rigs from today are suffering frame drops, even people with 560ti are running it at 4K. This game is mad inconsistent in its performance. Maybe you'll have to play at a lower resolution than 3840x2160 because of your CPU, but you'll probably be fine.

I'm no expert though, so maybe you should wait for someone else's opinion before jumping in.

Yeah I got that impression, but was more worried about that old CPU of mine. Dunno, usually shit ports rely a lot on CPU and that's where old weak CPUs like mine suffer most I noticed.

Thanks for the heads up though, gonna wait a bit more to see if something or someone find some secret miracle sauce, or if good ol' Durante comes up with some other miracle out of his hat. If not, well, game's cheap so I'll probably give it a try anyway :)

Goldmund

You need to go double Ravager to stagger one, then launch it as a Commando so it can't be healed while you kill it.
One was healing the other while it was launched. I did manage to kill them, but it took much longer than I remember it taking. It's not like it was tough, just tedious.

Forkball

How can Lightning jump around with those chicken legs?

Why does Lebreau have a shirt under her bra?

How is that woman a mom with an adolescent child when she looks barely older if not the same age as Snow?

How did Lightning's finger electric jump thing break and then work later on?

Am I ever going to get off this highway where I'm fighting Sonic the Hedgehog robots?

Faabulous

Now I'm excited for XII-2. Put 12 hours into this in 2 days, whomever said this was a bad game was mistaken, I'm having a ton of fun.

Top Bottom